Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: why did they make Dity Work?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 10, 2013 17:51

DoomandGloom
dcba
DoomandGloom
Charlie was not at his best, there were other drummers who played.

D&G Can you confirm Anton Fig sat on the stool?
No I never saw a basic track cut and could not recall who else drummed but other sources say Fig and Jordan which makes sense. i do remember songs with more than one drum track sometimes one was Charlie. Like I mentioned before they were very liberal with mixing stuff up and seemed to care only about the result not the pieces of the puzzle or who did what. I can say that Anton is a recording dream, he is one of the most powerful and consistent hitters along with Tony Thompson and the crazy guy from John Cougar.

Crazy guy from John Cougar = Kenny Aronoff, one hell of a drummer. More recently on the road with Bob Seger and John Fogerty.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: why did they make Dirty Work?
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: January 10, 2013 18:31

easy i tihin. dw was made because they had a new contract and an album to delivery, and it was time to do one. that´s all. it´s not their best, but i think it´s more listenable than abb, abb is a lifeless perfect digital production, dw is more alive. back to zero, hold back and winning ugly are the worst songs they ever have released, that´s true. but on the other hand, there´s sleep tonight, had it with you, harlem shuffle, dirty work, one hit, too rude. it´s not their best but it´s not that bad at all. it just has the nomination "worst album" so that´s why we are talking about always...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 10, 2013 18:36

I agree..But its the worst Stones album...But still better
then what was released back in the day....IMO....Its STILL the STONES.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 10, 2013 22:01

DoomandGloom
dcba
DoomandGloom
Charlie was not at his best, there were other drummers who played.

D&G Can you confirm Anton Fig sat on the stool?
No I never saw a basic track cut and could not recall who else drummed but other sources say Fig and Jordan which makes sense. i do remember songs with more than one drum track sometimes one was Charlie. Like I mentioned before they were very liberal with mixing stuff up and seemed to care only about the result not the pieces of the puzzle or who did what. I can say that Anton is a recording dream, he is one of the most powerful and consistent hitters along with Tony Thompson and the crazy guy from John Cougar.

They did not record drums in NY, only guitar, bass and vocal dubs.

Ron Wood is on drums on Too Rude and Sleep Tonight, all else is Charlie.

Mathijs

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 10, 2013 22:09

What makes DW a low point is the worst stuff on it. It just sounds so bad when you listen to it doay. I dont' think they've done anything that sounds as bad or as dated since then. One the other hand, the better stuff on it is probably cooler than anything from steel wheels on. After dirty work the albums are more consistently mediocre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 22:10 by ryanpow.

Date: January 10, 2013 22:27

gotdablouse
DoomandGloom
Mathijs
DoomandGloom
My two cents. Keith and Mick seemed to be getting on fine on DW. The hiatus the band took may have been more about Charlie's recovery than a feud. Jagger made "Boss" and did a big tour behind it while the Winos did the same, maybe because Watts was not up to working. One thing is certain when Keith's album came out everyone was blown away by the simple production styled a tiny bit like Exile. Still they made Steel Wheels next which was a massive production, we're still waiting for the stripped down version to re-appear from the studio. Too bad they don't have the confidence in themselves that we have.

No, you confuse some dates and facts. According to just about everybody, including the doorman, Jagger and Richards just hated eachother during the DW sessions. The WWIII really started after Jagger's refusal to tour behind Undercover, released on November 7, 1983, and him starting the demo sessions for his solo album in early March 1984. Keith hated Jagger for that decision. For the DW sessions They wheren't on speaking terms, basically avoiding each other, and when they where together they only had heated arguments. Jagger released She's The Boss in February '85, and never toured behind it. The sessions for DW started in early April 85 in Paris. After the sessions ended in late June, they all went to do different things (Dancing in the Street, Bette Midler, Bob Dylan etc). Overdubbing was late July to half August 1985 in New York, mixing in October 1985 in NY. When it came out Jagger hardly promoted it, and again refused to tour, this time due to Charlie's bad health. Jagger's first and luckily only & last solo tour was in 1988.

Mathijs
Yeah it's easy for me to get mixed up it was long ago but I can tell you I never saw any arguments or spite during overdubs and mixing. They never ever talked behind the others back either. Jagger's tour was 1988? I was wrong there but I tell you they were never too far from one another in this period. Dancing In The Streets was being mixed and Keith was doing overdubs with Earl Slick upstairs. Mick was amused by the Dylan fiasco at Live Aide, still they both stayed in NY, close to one another. They love one another, Keith gets too high and says stuff but all The Stones are grateful to Mick for keeping the money flowing. He is very wise with stuff like that, where would Keith be without that?

Yeah a lot of stuff was written on the DW sessions that is simply incorrect and I'm surprised Mathijs is all mixed up on this, let's see :

- They never planned to tour behind UC, there was a veeerrryyy vague rumour that got printed in some magazine that they would cook something up to tour in 1984 but who knows were that came from. Anyway it was never ever brought up by Keith AFAIK. In fact when DW came out he was like, "yeah UC is the best we could do at the time"...as everyone in the press was ranting and raving about how great DW was!

- They did in fact get along rather well during the DW sessions as they all (including Mick) went for dinner together at the "Val d'Isere" restaurant across from the Warwick Hotel pretty much each night and then proceeded to Boulogne. I have first hand reports of that from fans who actually had dinner in the same restaurant and more or less befriended them to the point where they were invited inside the studios and made a little video that was hand delivered to Ronnie who then made promises he didn't keep, but that's another story

- What annoyed Keith is that Mick brought little material to the sessions and did a lot of promo work for STB, there were no recording sessions for PC at anytime during the DW project. His next solo work was for the Ruthless People soundtrack and that single bombed big time.

Now that a few misconceptions have been cleared out I will refer anyone who wants to dig deeper to this most excellent thread with some stellar posts by Rocky Dijon who's analysis of the 83 to 89 period is stunning even to someone like me who lived though it and followed it very closely -> [www.iorr.org] post dated "Date: May 29, 2012 19:46"

There's quite a few statements concerning touring behind UC -Jagger did not want to because he was planning his solo album, Wyman didn't want, Watts wasn't in best of health, had marriage problems and never wants to tour, and only Richards wanted to tour. Next to his solo album, Jagger also felt it was too close to the 81/82 tour, UC wasn't their best work, and times had changed and felt the Stones where a bit old hat.

Concerning the athmosphere -there's many stories, including from insiders and band members, that the athmosphere especially in NY was dreadful. Paris wa sa bit better because of the live in town, and they could live seperate lives, like having dinner in the restaurant together. But you got to remember: that was dinner with 40 people, with Jagger on one side of the room and Richards on the other. Concerning the video: if you mean the one where lots is filmed through the studio mixing table window: I have it, as many have. Same with the tapes that Wood handed over after some sessions.

Concerning the song writing material: it has been stated many times that one of Jagger's annoyances was that for UC Keith hardly brought in any material. He had Wanna Hold You, and the outtakes suggest that most of his other ideas didn't make the album. For DW, Jagger didn't have much, as he spent most of his ideas on STB, which annoyed Keith, and made him partner with Wood for most of the album.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 10, 2013 22:36

Mathijs

Mathijs

It's been said that the future Winos' credit on the sleeve is for backing vocals only but Ivan definitely plays bass on "Hold Back." There's still the matter of Anton Fig who gets a credit on the sleeve and I'm sure he's not singing anywhere. Maybe the other drummers only contribtued percussion. Hard to say. The way the drums are produced makes it not sound like Charlie to many ears. Similar to all of Sly Dunbar's work on UNDERCOVER and of course the damn click track. It gives those two albums a very different feel not only from each other but from the rest of the band's output. STEEL WHEELS has an obvious eighties production sheen, but the drums still sound like Charlie.

Date: January 10, 2013 23:48

Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

It's been said that the future Winos' credit on the sleeve is for backing vocals only but Ivan definitely plays bass on "Hold Back." There's still the matter of Anton Fig who gets a credit on the sleeve and I'm sure he's not singing anywhere. Maybe the other drummers only contribtued percussion. Hard to say. The way the drums are produced makes it not sound like Charlie to many ears. Similar to all of Sly Dunbar's work on UNDERCOVER and of course the damn click track. It gives those two albums a very different feel not only from each other but from the rest of the band's output. STEEL WHEELS has an obvious eighties production sheen, but the drums still sound like Charlie.

Neville also played bass on Winning Ugly and Back To Zero. To be honest, I don't think Wood really played drums on Too Rude. It just sounds way, way too much like Steve Jordan. But Wood stated he played the drums, so...I think he meant Sleep Tonight, but that's just my opinion.

Mathijs

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 11, 2013 00:00

Mathijs
Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

Neville also played bass on Winning Ugly and Back To Zero. To be honest, I don't think Wood really played drums on Too Rude. It just sounds way, way too much like Steve Jordan. But Wood stated he played the drums, so...I think he meant Sleep Tonight, but that's just my opinion.

Mathijs

woody can ape taylor on guitar and has mastered apeing jordan on drums. ok?

Date: January 11, 2013 00:35

StonesTod
Mathijs
Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

In some way, I admire you. From my space on earth, I vision you as a horribly overweighed, no education, gun-toting bad neighbourhood unemployed redneck. A true American. But here, on IORR, you are really trying hard to show us your soft side, your animal loving, free-Hank-the-kitten, I love whales side.

I really wonder…

Are you gay?

Mathijs

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2013 00:38

Concerning the video: if you mean the one where lots is filmed through the studio mixing table window: I have it, as many have.

WOW Interesting ... have never seen .... Where do I find a copy???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 11, 2013 00:40

NICOS
Well, if they made it and not released it back then, we would praised it as a bootleg in 2013

As long as it remained a bootleg, of course.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 11, 2013 00:47

Mathijs
StonesTod
Mathijs
Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

In some way, I admire you. From my space on earth, I vision you as a horribly overweighed, no education, gun-toting bad neighbourhood unemployed redneck. A true American. But here, on IORR, you are really trying hard to show us your soft side, your animal loving, free-Hank-the-kitten, I love whales side.

I really wonder…

Are you gay?

Mathijs
Is there a problem with your translation are you are this much of a dumb-ass?

Date: January 11, 2013 01:03

Mathijs
StonesTod
Mathijs
Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

I really wonder…

Are you gay?

Mathijs

i might be. i've never really given it much thought.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 11, 2013 01:05

Mathijs
Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

Really Mathijs? really?

Date: January 11, 2013 01:11

i might be. i've never really given it much thought....People waited an hour for THAT!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 11, 2013 01:17

Hang on....he's still giving it thought.

Steers and Queers doncha know

Date: January 11, 2013 01:43

Rockman
i might be. i've never really given it much thought....People waited an hour for THAT!!!!

i've been folding laundry. it takes time to get it right. i don't wanna be walking the streets looking like...well, looking like you or something....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2013 01:53

StonesTod
Mathijs
StonesTod
Mathijs
Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

I really wonder…

Are you gay?

Mathijs

i might be. i've never really given it much thought.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 11, 2013 02:57

wow, why does winning ugly have to be such dirty work, you bunch of crazy posters?

Date: January 11, 2013 03:05

Mathijs

Mathijs

John Regan's playing bass on something. I always figured it was "Winning Ugly" and/or "Back To Zero." I always figured there were two drummers playing on "Too Rude." My guess was Jordan and Drayton. I believe Alan Rogan said he's playing bass on "Fight."

Date: January 11, 2013 03:08

Mathijs

I really wonder…

Are you gay?

Mathijs

I think Mathijs was trying to give back in the same spirit of fun. I don't think he was attacking our fun-loving Tod or any of the rest of us Ugly Americans. Besides, Mathijs and Tod have had sex with each other many times and I don't believe either of them would have sex with a gay man so no, Tod is straight. Hope that helps end the speculation on his sexuality.

Date: January 11, 2013 03:12

And before anyone asks how I know about Tod and Mathijs, that's what's on the video filmed through the studio mixing table window. It's up there with the PERFORMANCE outtakes of Mick and Anita.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 11, 2013 03:42

Well, this argument has certainly petered out...

Date: January 11, 2013 03:55

i've been folding laundry. it takes time to get it right. i don't wanna be walking the streets looking like...well, looking like you or something....

Nuh ... another set of zeros .... you can do better than that

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 11, 2013 05:00

He never folded laundry past sunset, always put a crease in his pants.
didn't waanna use the spin cycle,
always took a second chance on rinse...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 11, 2013 05:23

Dandelionpowderman - I love the guitar but the song Fight is horrible.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 11, 2013 05:36

hot stuff
I really don't know why they cut the album unless they had too!

I believe they were planning a tour, which then didn't happen ... and in those days, everyone thought you needed an album of new material to tour - but now they know better and figured out they just need to re-release old songs on a different grrreatest hits album to tour.

Date: January 11, 2013 10:14

Rocky Dijon
Mathijs

Mathijs

John Regan's playing bass on something. I always figured it was "Winning Ugly" and/or "Back To Zero." I always figured there were two drummers playing on "Too Rude." My guess was Jordan and Drayton. I believe Alan Rogan said he's playing bass on "Fight."

Rocky, I'm pretty sure it's Bill on Fight. He does the same motif as on Too Tough, making the resemblance between the two tracks even stronger.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 11, 2013 10:22

Back to zero isn't that bad...listened to the album yesterday founding that out....

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home