Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick & Mott?
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 9, 2013 09:30

Did Mick really sing backing vocals on "Walking With A Mountain" as stated here?

[en.wikipedia.org])

Also I don't really understand why Mott couldn't use the title STICKY FINGERS for their second album MAD SHADOWS, since it came out before the Stones' SF.

Re: Mick & Mott?
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 9, 2013 09:40

I believe Mick was behind the glass in the studio, maybe dancing(?) to 'Walking..' but he didn't sing on it.

As for the Sticky Fingers issue, that's a good point, I never really thought about that.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: January 9, 2013 10:19

The story goes that Mott and the Stones were both recording at Olympic studios at the same time. Mick came into Olympic 2 when Mott were recording Walking With A Mountain, hence the Jumpin' Jack Flash reference at the end of the song. Apparently he danced around, but didn't sing any backing vocals. Guy Stevens (Mott's manager/producer) told Mick they were going to call the album Sticky Fingers, which apparently Mick thought a good name for an album so Guy let the Stones use it. On the insert in the original vinyl version Guy gets a credit for this ('Thanks to Guy Stevens'), not sure if it's on the CD version...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 9, 2013 14:58

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 9, 2013 15:02

Mad Shadows was also the title of what became John Barleycorn Must Die by Traffic.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 9, 2013 19:15

In Ian Hunter's truly brilliant Diary of a Rock & Star it's said that road manager Stan Tippins used to spread rumours that Mick would be turning up at gigs in order to sell more tickets but I don't remember them claiming he ever sang on any of their tracks.

Steve Marriott sings on Midnight Lady. I only mention it cos it's a great record (as is almost anything by MOTT IMHO)>

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 9, 2013 19:31

Ian Hunter is coming to town soon to promote his latest album.

Mick probably wishes he could still write songs this good:

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:11

Got that right.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 11, 2013 12:51

An odd thing: I was looking at the (extensive) liner notes for the cd of MAD SHADOWS and in the "thanks" section is the name ... Marsha Hunt.

Why?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home