Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Kids and Stones concerts
Posted by: rover ()
Date: January 23, 2005 10:37

I want to take my 2 girls (3 and 5) to a show next tour. Any advice? Hopefully they will tour Australia so it won't cost me much but we are prepared to travel OS if we have to. Any advice as to the best cities to go for the complete Stones experience.

Cheers

Re: Kids and Stones concerts
Posted by: R ()
Date: January 23, 2005 19:53

I assume they'll be 4 and 6 by the time the tour comes around? You might consider leaving the younger one home. My sons are going to be 8 and 10 by next fall and they will be going along with their 9 year old cousin. We thought about taking them a couple years ago but decided they might be too overwhelmed. They WILL be going next time.

See a stadium show. The kids will love the extra fireworks, effects and giant displays. They'll like that better than the subtle nuances of Ronnie's "Tumblin' Dice" solo.

It might also be easier to get seats at the front of a second tier so they can see and not have to be surrounded by drunks and assh-les.

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: January 23, 2005 22:08

Whatever you do, DON'T FORGET THE EARPLUGS !!!!! Speedo make some easy to insert ones that give a lot of leeway for different earsizes and are soft and comfortable. My daughter was 8 when she saw her first Stones concert in Madrid and was in tears complaining about the loudness by the time The Pretenders were only halfways through their first song, index fingers firmly pressed into her ears and floods of tears running down her cheeks.We grownups have totally damaged ears from years and years of loud music and tend to forget how sensitive kids are to loud sounds..... Thank God I had a pair of airplane disposable ones in my backpack, as soon as they were in she was smiling again and dancing along....
I personally think that four years old is much too young, but only you can be the judge of that....
The only other thing I can think of is that seats or a secure area further back would be good to avoid sudden and frightening stampede-like movements of large numbers of fans.....

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: January 23, 2005 22:11

Whatever you do, DON'T FORGET THE EARPLUGS !!!!! Speedo make some easy to insert ones that give a lot of leeway for different earsizes and are soft and comfortable. My daughter was 8 when she saw her first Stones concert in Madrid and was in tears complaining about the loudness by the time The Pretenders were only halfways through their first song, index fingers firmly pressed into her ears and floods of tears running down her cheeks.We grownups have totally damaged ears from years and years of loud music and tend to forget how sensitive kids are to loud sounds..... Thank God I had a pair of airplane disposable ones in my backpack, as soon as they were in she was smiling again and dancing along....
I personally think that four years old is much too young, but only you can be the judge of that....
The only other thing I can think of is that seats or a secure area further back would be good to avoid sudden and frightening stampede-like movements of large numbers of fans.....

Posted by: fanch ()
Date: January 24, 2005 12:33

I had my two girls (and my wife) at the Arena august 2003 but they were 15 and 10 years old. Under 9/10 years, taken children to a Stones concert is really throwing money by the window (as we say in French), they can't appreciate and 2 hours of loud music, and more if you see the opening, is to much for them. Even my 10 years Cécile was probably a little to young.
And as you are impose to take seats, they gone be disapointed by the fact they will be to far away from the stage.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: January 24, 2005 14:07

Would parents please leave their young kids at home. There may be exceptions but most of the kids I have witnessed at Stones concerts are bored out of their tiny little minds. I rember seeing one pissed off lad about 10 years old at Wembley Arena last year. All he did was sulk and moan throughout the show and his parents had to keep buying him sweets and soft drinks just to keep him remotely happy. What a waste of money for that seat.

Sorry but kids in pubs and kids at concerts is a no no for me

Andy

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 24, 2005 15:29

hi,
i took my son, brian, yes he was named for brian jones, to the licks tour.. he was only 9 but loved it.. i'm not sure how much of the music he loved but he just could not get over seeing 80,000 people in one place..
plus the people at the concert were very nice to him.. they made a big fuss over his naME. like he was brian, or something.

so i think its the kid.. how mature is he or she? my boy has heard the stones every day since he was born and i think he wanted to see them.. i plan to bring
my next son to the next concert..its an experience they will never forget!

Posted by: WAYNEP ()
Date: January 24, 2005 15:37

I brought my son to see the Stones when he was 8 years old in Cleveland and Buffalo in 1978. He loved it. He was surrounded by his "uncles", who he always got a big kick out of...because in some ways, they were more of a kid than he was.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2005 16:12

Took my 2 youngest to the Licks show in Nashville. They both seemed to enjoy what they could remember. Of course they were 31 and 25 at the time. Numerous drinks at the Hard Rock before the show had me wondering if they could make it back to the venue but they seemed to do OK for the most part.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: January 24, 2005 16:39

Jeez, I hope that my parents would have taken me to a Stones concert when I was four age old or something.. That would have been 1973 Tour.. I will never forgive them!! (But in reality my folks happened to hate that sort of music, and life style, as well... I needed to find the way by my own. The genaration gap still exists; maybe I should take THEM to see the Stones in the following tour, now when the dirty rockers are safe and clean and well-honoured, a pilar of the society...)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-24 16:42 by Rorty.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 24, 2005 19:56

I don't have kids, but if I had I wouldn't take them to see the stones for the following reasons.

- I would have to have seats
- What happens if he/she starts crying despeartely because he/she wants to go to the toilet exactly when Miks starts the harp intro of MR?
- Who is going to hold the beers?

C

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 24, 2005 20:03

your kid can hold your beer....has to learn sooner or later....ha

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 24, 2005 20:47

your kid can hold your beer....has to learn sooner or later....ha

No way, he might drink it!

C

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1993
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home