Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: IORR Recipes!
Date: January 22, 2005 05:38

That's right, girls and boys! How about some favourite recipes from IORR members. We're such an international group, it's worthy of consideration. Or have I just been watching too much Martha Stewart?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: OT: IORR Recipes!
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 22, 2005 07:21

Stones Stew, AC/DC Hamburger Helper.........

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 22, 2005 12:47

I'll still go with the FEBO satekroketten. Also quite good:

- KFC curly fries
- Fricandel special (with not too much unions)
- Gebakken aardappeltjes with green pepper saus
- Cheese-soufle (so hot the cheese pops out.....)
- Mc.D quarterpounder (without the augurk)
- Sandwich martino with extra saus
- My mothers boerenkool met rookworst / spekjes / mosterd / vette jus

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 22, 2005 13:04

Come on guys, this is a serious topic! And you want to make it till over 50, right?..

As a full time cook with a gf who hates cooking and hasn't in two years - true! - any addition to my repertoire, especially the not so time consuming, is very welcome. For a great and simple pasta dish, a welcome change to your midweeks aglio e olio, puttanesca or carbonare, try this Tuscan recipe. Everyone I've served it has eaten its fingers with it. Once tried I swear it'll belong to your iron repertoire. The secret is the use of the onion as a natural sweetener.

For two. Take about 100 gr. of speck or bacon and cut into thin slices. Originally it says pancetta but speck or bacon will do, as long as it's not spam. Cook in olive oil until golden, but not brown or crispy (in a heavy based pan, Dutch oven I think they're called). Then add 5-6 medium large onions (or more), thinly sliced into half rings, plus a little bit of salt. Mix, put lid on, put fire low, and stew for about 30-40 min, till soft and tender and juicy, but don't let brown. Meanwhile: entertain housemates or kids, read paper, study scales, stirring ocassionally once or twice. When almost done, cook pasta (penne works best) and while waiting for pasta finely chop a full large hand of fresh parsley, and grate about as much fresh parmezan cheese (of ADAMANT importance: both fresh). When ready mix pasta and onions in one pan, add parsley and cheese and mix all ingredients carefully. Add a lot of freshly ground pepper and taste for salt. Serve and eat. As my dad always says: it's like a little angel peeing on your tongue!

Anyone else? Johanna? Dame Deidre with a authentic Gaelic stew? Does anyone have a good shepherd's pie recipe?

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-24 12:32 by Greg.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 22, 2005 13:14

A gallon of Wild Turkey, a half bucket of ice, mix with Rocks Off, Little Red Rooster, If You Cant Rock Me, No Expectations, Start Me Up, Spider and the Fly, Satisfaction, I Can't Be Satisfied, Mona, Out of Time, Flip The Switch, Wild Horses, Hip Shake, Had It With You, Dont Stop, Please Go Home, It's Not Easy, Parachute Woman,Time Is On My Side,The Nearness Of You & Out Of Control.

Different Stones may be substituted or added to the mix but the end result will always be the same .... deeelisious

ROCKMAN

Date: January 22, 2005 13:19

Greg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone have a good shepherd's pie recipe?

Keith does............

Date: January 22, 2005 13:24

Yeah, I know, but it's made by Chuck.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 22, 2005 13:25

Greg, that's sounds good and makes me really hungry right now.

I have to confess that I hardly ever cook. When I come home I just don't want to stand in the kitchen for ages just to prepare dinner for myself.
I can cook some things, but I only do it if I invited a girl or some friends.
My pancakes are really good, by the way...if you want to stay for breakfast.

So, normally I eat this deep-frozen things you can get in the supermarkets. You only have to put it in a pan and wait until it's ready :-) And these things really got better during the last few years... And there's all this pre-cooked stuff you have to eat on the day you buy it.

I also tried to cook some of that Jamie Oliver stuff, but it just tastes quite strange sometimes.

My recipe: Fish/noodle pan with fried vegetables à la Laurent (call me Laurent when I'm in the kitchen)

Buy some (frozen or fresh) fish and fry it with some olive oil, or whatever. Moi, je fais la cuisine toujours à l'huile d'olive...j'aime la saveur! You can season the fish with salt and pepper, but after you fried it. At the same time make some water cooking, put salt and some oil in it (so the noodles are not sticky) and cook the noodles.
But the fish on seperate plate and put it in the oven (low temp) to keep it warm
Now use some of your favourite fresh/frozen vegetables and fry them in the pan too.
There is something called "Röstgemüse" over here - vegetables you can fry...
At the end, put everything together and season it until it tastes right.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-22 13:28 by KeithRichards.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 22, 2005 13:34

Ow!! 'ell I forgot to add the Album version of She's A Rainbow...intro and alL.
That'll smooth the mix right down...

Just For You
Super Scruff
ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: January 22, 2005 14:34

Potted Shrimp,

What about a CD-R trade for FEBO's satekroketten...

But okay, for the local dish

Cheesefondue

- emmentaler, gruyere, vacherin (1:1:1)
- potatoflour
- white whine
- garlic
- lemon
- kirsch (as much as you like)
- pepper and muskatnut powder

Date: January 22, 2005 14:45

Sjouke Wrote:
> Potted Shrimp,
>
> What about a CD-R trade for FEBO's
> satekroketten...

I don't know if the satekroketten will survive the trip to the Swiss. Oh well, the long defrosting of the 'goudbruinen jongens' will most likely enhance their flavour!!!!

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 22, 2005 15:49

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
> I'll still go with the FEBO satekroketten. Also
> quite good:
>
> - KFC curly fries not too salted, of course
> - Fricandel special (with not too much unions) OK now you've completely lost your credibility. The unions are the essential ingredient, I think I've discussed this with Rank Outsider before, why didn't you pay attention. I hope you prefer curry to accompany the mayo to ketchup, you bloody Hollender!
> - Gebakken aardappeltjes with green pepper saus
> - Cheese-soufle (so hot the cheese pops out.....)That's awful. Some people manage to eat this with fries. I suggest a trip abroad and go for baked camembert instead (also from the IJspaleis man)
> - Mc.D quarterpounder (without the augurk)
> - Sandwich martino with extra saus
> - My mothers boerenkool met rookworst / spekjes /
> mosterd / vette jus My mother used to serve this without spekjes and jus, but with koteletten instead of rookworst. She has a weird taste. It always dried me out.

By the way, why is it they say the English can't cook? I have friends over in Kent and they always feed me to the edge of explosion. Lovely pink ham in honey! Steak and kidney pie! Full cooked breakfast... hmmmm!

If there's one nation that can't cook it's the Dutch. The spoil EVERY single piece of meat. It's called: 'bakken en braden'. Baking the bloody ham 'till it's white, dry and hard all through. No wonder the friepan is that popular here. Koteletten are not even appropriate for the barbeque, although all Dutch same to think they are.

Date: January 22, 2005 16:01

Limbo: Bakken en Braden rules for sure..............

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: January 23, 2005 23:06

For Greg,

Cranachan with Fruit Kissel.

Kissel:

450g fresh or frozen soft fruits (eg 3-4 from raspberries, redcurrants, loganberries, strawberries, blackcurrants or loganberries)
50g soft BROWN SUGAR
150ml unsweetened orange juice
2 teaspoons of cornflour
2 tablespoons of water.

Cranachan:
150ml double or whipping cream
150ml Single Cream
few drops of vanilla essence
40g of coarse oatmeal, toasted
1 tablespoon of light, soft BROWN SUGAR.

Kissel: (can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance). (For best results prepare while listening to "Back To Zero").

1. Pick over, wash and prepare fruits. Frozen fuits need not be thawed. Place in bowl.

2. Dissolve sugar in the orange juice over a low heat. Mix the cornflour to a smooth paste with the water and add to the pan. Bring to boil, stirring, until the sauce clears and thickens.

3. Pour over the fruit and stir gently. Cover and cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours.

Cranachan: (prepare while listening to "Loving Cup").

1. Whip the two creams together until they form soft peaks. Add the vanilla then fold in the sugar and all but 2 teaspoons of the toasted oatmeal.

2. Spoon the cranachan into a dish and sprinkle with the reserved oatmeal.

Serve with the chilled Kissel.

Consume while playing "Time Waits for No One" - (except for a Potted Shrimp - Time has to be VERY patient where these are concerned).

Date: January 24, 2005 00:23

Sounds excellent Deidre, and how fitting since the missus was complaining about too much YOGHURT (i.e. meagre and sugarless) for desert. I hope among those berries and currants there aren't any endangered species over here..

KeithR, if one has mastered the highly underrated art of making pancakes, one can make ANYTHING. And yes, they are even better the next morning with some sugar and black coffee. Yummie!

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: January 24, 2005 05:57

I make a mean Goats Head Soup.

Take one remastered copy of the Goats Head Soup CD.
Have it shakken, not stirred
Add to your cd player
Turn on player & receiver.
Switch to surround sound.
Set volume to wicked loud.
Listen for approx 45 minutes & enjoy.
Serve with a case of beer or bottle of Jack Daniels.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 24, 2005 14:17

Cold cold winter here in Milano, perfect time for our "risotto alla milanese" (one of Milano's most famous dishes).

This one differs from the original because no meat is used (I don't eat meat, as discussed in an earlier thread some months ago).

What you need.

Rice (one teacup x person. Important: use only Italian rice for risotti - vialone superfino - DO NOT use uncle ben's, chinese, indian rice)
White onions (depends on how much you like onions, I use 1 every 2 persons)
White whine
Salt
Pepper
Saffron (1 g. x 2 persons)
Parmisan
Butter
Olive oil
2 pots

What to do

In one pot boil 2 liters of water. You may add a whole onion. (If you do eat meat, you may use some good broth)

Chop the onions to little pieces (use your swimming goggles to prevent watery eyes).

In the other pot, bake the rice for a couple of minutes with some butter, oil and pepper, then add the onions and a full glass of whine. Turn the fire down and add boiling water (from pot 1) so to just cover the rice. The rice will have to be always covered by water (let's say half a cm) for 11 minutes, so add water and stir when needed. You will let the water evaporate during the last 5 minutes of cooking (usually it takes 16 minutes to cook rice, starting from th emoment you add the water - but always taste the rice to control that you are not overcooking). When the rice is almost done (that is it is still a slightly hard i.e. "al dente") turn th fire off, add the suffron, more butter, and finally the parmisan. Stir until the melted parmisan, the butter and the amid of the rice are well amalgamated in a sort of cream (i.e. "l'onda"). Cover the pot and let the rice rest for a couple of minutes, then serve!

C

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: January 24, 2005 18:24

Well, well, well, are we finally getting in touch with our feminine side, boys???
Goooooooooooooooood..............
I'm bogged under with work today, but will add a recipe soon....

For the moment just a few comments:

Greg: I shall certainly try your recipe , preferrably when the husband is away and I spend the night alone in bed. All those onions must have the most amazing effect on intestinal gas production!!! Have you ever considered adding cumin seeds or caraway seeds to the onions when first frying them, or do you think this would ruin the taste??? If you look at recipes from any country that contain large amounts of onions, these spices always get added as socalled "antifart"-factor, cumin gets used in masses for indian cooking, and caraway extract is the stuff they dissolve in water for new born babies when they suffer from "colics".

Liddas: can I use arborio rice? and is the whole point about risotto rice not that you have to CONSTANTLY stir it to achieve that lovely creaminess?

Deidre: have you ever tried making cranachan with other fruits that aren't berries?

Johanna

Date: January 24, 2005 18:36

Jostorm: You just reminded me........PERRITOS CALIENTES!!! With all 27 sauces AND unions!

Date: January 24, 2005 18:52

Relax Johanna, the onions loose their malignant nature by their being softly stewed for half an hour. Cumin or caraway will definitely ruin the flavour! Now if you'd make the Dutch national winter dish 'erwtensoep' (a heavy pea soup) then your husband can put on Gimme Shelter right away!

Shrimp: the spelling of union with a 'u', is that an onomatopee to actually express the delayed effect of it?

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 24, 2005 19:28

Poooooooooooot!!!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 24, 2005 19:40

"can I use arborio rice?"

Sure: it is very similar to the "superfino" quality.

"and is the whole point about risotto rice not that you have to CONSTANTLY stir it to achieve that lovely creaminess?"

No. The lovely creaminess is the result of the final process of blending the amid of the rice, butter (and cheese, when required). This process is called "mantecatura".

Of course you have to stir every now and then otherwhise the rice will stick on the pot. The mantecatura will start only when the water is almost all evaporated. Be sure not to completely evaporate the water, otherwhise the risotto will turn out too dry.

The one suggested (add water/broth during the cooking) is the traditional way of preparing risotto. The purpose of doing this is to keep the amount of water under control.

C

p.s. I forgot that you have to put salt in the boiling water you keep aside in pot 1.

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: January 24, 2005 22:21

Greg: "Trumps!...No trumps, awright!" (with apologies for any unladylike language...)

And here's your recipe for "Cottage Pie" (with minced beef) or "Sheperd's Pie" (same thing but made with minced lamb) out of Nigella Lawton's book HOW TO EAT

600g floury potatoes 100g button mushrooms (optional)
60g butter 250g beef or lamb, minced
1 medium onion 1 tablespoon flour
1 medium carrot 50ml Marsala wine or apple juice
1 clove garlic 200g tinned tomatoes
1/2 stick celery 1 teaspoon soy or Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons oil

Peel the potatoes , cut them into chunks and put them in a pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and cook till soft enough to mash easily; this could take from 25 to 45 minutes depending on the size of the chunks. Drain them and put them back in the pan over the heat for 1 minute to dry off. Then mash: the easiest way is to push them through a potato ricer and then beat in the butter; remember you want a stiff mash to top the meat, not a near-liquid puree.
Put the peeled onion, carrot and garlic clove with the celery , all cut into rough chunks, into the food processor and blitz (or chop finely by hand). Heat the oil in a medium-sized frying pan with a sturdy bottom, and preferably a lid, and stir in the chopped vegetables. Cook for a good 10 minutes until soft, then add the mushrooms, sliced thinly, if wanted. You may want to add a knob of butter at this stage, too. After 2 minutes, add the meat, pushing and breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula. You want it to unclump and lose its pinkness. Sprinkle over the flour and stir well, then add the Marsala wine or apple juice, then the tomatoes and soy sauce OR Worcestershire sauce . Stir well, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover, prod, taste and cook for about another 10 minutes, by which time the meat should be cooked and not too liquid.
Put into 2 small oval ovenproof dishes or one larger one measuring about 25 cm at its largest point and top with the mashed potato. If you want the top crispy, dot with butter and put it under a hot grill-sprinkling on grated cheese first, perhaps-for a few minutes.

One comment: the original source of all these dishes comes from the times when Brits used to have their traditional "Sunday Roast", a great big chunk of meat, which was never totally eaten up by the family, so that the housewife would then make meals for the rest of the week from the leftover meat. So, traditionally, and surely when Keith was a boy, it used to be made from already cooked meat which the lady of the house minced herself....I've made pies in this fashion with all sorts of leftover cold meats, but you have to allow for enough stock to mix with the meat, otherwise the mixture is much too dry. By far the yummkiest I ever made was a pie with loads of leftover roasted duck!!!

Shrimpy: I'm going over to Caracas in April for some of those perritos calientes, can't wait!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 25, 2005 00:34

Lotsa high fat, sugary and processed
entries here. Hasn't anybody seen "Supersize Me" yet?!?

Date: January 25, 2005 00:44

Am still recovering from the staggeringly sexist assumption that cuisine is in the feminine domain. Johanna, we women should be telling them that they are fulfilling their true male destiny.

And Greg, I forgot to mention the obligatory dram of malt whisky in the Cranachan. Shame on moi.

As penance I shall, in the fulness of Time Waits for Most Shrimps (but not those in Pots), produce the Ultimate Scone recipe, (to be produced/enjoyed by either/any gender).

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 25, 2005 01:00

Good Deidre, but see if you can cut back on the fats.
I know of at least two good lads who had heart attacks in
their forties coz they ate to much of these. Does happen............

Date: January 25, 2005 01:04

If anybody wants my recipe for Caesar Dressing pasta salad w/toasted almond slivers and fresh spinach, email me and I'd be HAP-PAY to provide it to you!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: January 25, 2005 01:47

Johanna, thanks, the dish sounds like a generously struck G-chord in open tuning to me! Butter instead of olive oil - good, no matter what the critics say. I think this is probably best to be consumed when listening to Happy, and - for the perfect night of Keith favourites - followed by a watching of The Man Who Would Be King.

Deidre: notice taken of the malt. Since you forgot the amount I take it it should be used liberally.

Date: January 25, 2005 02:59

A dram is a fixed measure. Though not strictly adhered to!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home