Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ginger Baker - Stones' First Drummer?
Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: January 5, 2013 18:21

In an interview in the Guardian, Ginger states:

"If truth be known," he continues, "I was the Stones' first drummer. We used to do the interval for Alexis Korner with Mick Jagger, who was like Korner's protege, and Brian Jones. I got on very well with Brian, so we formed a band. Then Charlie [Watts] left Alexis Korner so I could join, and I got Charlie into the Stones. But it was Brian who set the Stones on its path."

Yet another contender for the 'original drummer' position - is this complete bullshit, or is there a grain of truth in it? Ginger and Keith together would have made an interesting partnership...........

Re: Ginger Baker - Stones' First Drummer?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 5, 2013 18:42

Might as well call the drummer in the Blue Boys the "original."

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 5, 2013 20:38

geoffc

"If truth be known," he continues, "I was the Stones' first drummer. We used to do the interval for Alexis Korner with Mick Jagger, who was like Korner's protege, and Brian Jones. I got on very well with Brian, so we formed a band. Then Charlie [Watts] left Alexis Korner so I could join, and I got Charlie into the Stones. But it was Brian who set the Stones on its path."

Yet another contender for the 'original drummer' position - is this complete bullshit, or is there a grain of truth in it? Ginger and Keith together would have made an interesting partnership...........

Ginger Baker in the Rolling Stones? WW3 would have happened by 1965!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 5, 2013 20:48

He is one the most overrated drummers in my opinion...far too military in his style and definatly wouldn't have worked with the Stones. Had the occasion to meet the guy many years ago and wasn't impressed with him on a personal level either.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 5, 2013 21:49

I have always counted Ginger Baker as one of my all-time favorite drummers ( along with Levon Helm, Ringo, Keith Moon, and of course Charlie )-- Baker had a very cool style and his fills were incredible-- his work with Cream and Blind Faith was outstanding, and I have a couple Jazz- oriented discs he made with his Ginger Baker Trio in the 90's which are great-- worth checking out--
his playing with Cream at their reunion concerts a few years back was top shelf-- don't know what he's doing these days, but I hope he has something in the works--

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 5, 2013 21:52

Beware Of Mr Baker is coming out soon

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 5, 2013 22:28

Yeah, doesn't he punch the film maker when he shows up unexpectedly to get an interview with Baker ? I think he hits the guy with a walking stick or something ..?

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 5, 2013 22:35

tomcasagranda
Beware Of Mr Baker is coming out soon

COOL!!! Love Baker even though he can be a HUGE prick.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 5, 2013 22:49

Saw him with BBM in 94. An amazing drummer but wouldn't have been a fit with the Stones.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: January 5, 2013 22:55

crumbling_mice
He is one the most overrated drummers in my opinion...far too military in his style and definatly wouldn't have worked with the Stones. Had the occasion to meet the guy many years ago and wasn't impressed with him on a personal level either.

agreed--met him in a record store in Saugus California sometime around 1988-89 and i bought a Cream LP and approached him to sign it--he was just browsing but was extremely rude and dismissive of Cream...i was taken aback but didn't press the point--never really put him in the pantheon of great drummers before that but now i see why Clapton/Bruce talk ^%$#@ about him....anyhow,...i still enjoy the LP...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 5, 2013 23:08

Bruce and Tony Allen on Fela Africa 70 were amazing.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 6, 2013 00:55

bob r
Yeah, doesn't he punch the film maker when he shows up unexpectedly to get an interview with Baker ? I think he hits the guy with a walking stick or something ..?

Actually, it was on the final day of filming, after the film maker, Jay Bulger, had been filming him for months.

Bulger discusses it in a recent interview with The Huffington Post.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/28/jay-bulger-interview_n_2206889.html

Date: January 6, 2013 01:05

crumbling_mice

you seem to not know a lot of bakesr stuff outside of cream because he could fit almost any rock band from that era, the who, the kinks, the stones, zeppelin, etc. he has a lot of jazz releases that are laid back in style and just grooving

Date: January 6, 2013 01:13

keefriffhard4life
crumbling_mice

you seem to not know a lot of bakesr stuff outside of cream because he could fit almost any rock band from that era, the who, the kinks, the stones, zeppelin, etc. he has a lot of jazz releases that are laid back in style and just grooving

A good example of Baker's jazz drumming is his 1999 release Ginger Baker and the DJQ2O. There is a Ginger Baker original on it titled Cyril Davies, a tribute to the man who sang with Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated. None of it is on YouTube, but trust me, it's very good and highly recommended. Released on the Atlantic label [Catalog #83168-2].

Tracklist
1 Cyril Davies
Written-By – Ginger Baker
8:52
2 Ginger Spice
Written-By – Ron Miles
8:28
3 Dangle The Carrot
Written-By – Ginger Baker
6:05
4 Megan Showers
Written-By – Ron Miles
7:31
5 Jesus Loves Me
Written-By – Ron Miles
9:32
6 Coward Of The County
Written-By – Ron Miles
5:46
7 Daylight
Written-By – Ron Miles
7:29
8 Jesus, I Just Want To Go To Sleep
Written-By – Ron Miles
6:46

Bass – Artie Moore
Clarinet [Bass], Saxophone [Tenor] – James Carter (3)
Drums – Ginger Baker
Guitar – Todd Ayers
Guitar [Pedal Steel] – Glenn Taylor
Organ – Shamie Royston
Piano – Eric Gunnison
Producer – Ginger Baker, Ron Miles
Saxophone [Tenor] – Ted Hess
Trumpet – Ron Miles

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 6, 2013 01:58

No, no I am also aware of the wide variations in style that baker could employ. I knew him around the time he joined Hawkwind (English Space Rock Band). At this time I had the experience of sitting for much of the afternoon with him through a sound check. A very talented drummer, but as I initially stated, I think he is overrated and I never really enjoyed his drumming in any of the various guises he has cropped up in over the decades.

It's purely a personal taste thing, much in the same way we sometimes don't like a guitarist#s style - it doesn't mean that the guitarist is inferior in any way just personal prefernces.

My other comment about not particuarly liking him as a person is the same, purly personal and based on the interactions I had with him and others who I know who have had the occasion to meet or deal with him.

I'll stand by all the above and once more reiterate I think he would not have fitted in well with the Stones.

Date: January 6, 2013 02:09

crumbling_mice
No, no I am also aware of the wide variations in style that baker could employ. I knew him around the time he joined Hawkwind (English Space Rock Band). At this time I had the experience of sitting for much of the afternoon with him through a sound check. A very talented drummer, but as I initially stated, I think he is overrated and I never really enjoyed his drumming in any of the various guises he has cropped up in over the decades.

It's purely a personal taste thing, much in the same way we sometimes don't like a guitarist#s style - it doesn't mean that the guitarist is inferior in any way just personal prefernces.

My other comment about not particuarly liking him as a person is the same, purly personal and based on the interactions I had with him and others who I know who have had the occasion to meet or deal with him.

I'll stand by all the above and once more reiterate I think he would not have fitted in well with the Stones.

I would agree on your last point. Though Ginger and Charlie share a jazz background, Ginger's heart is in Africa when it comes to drumming and he seemed to not have the patience necessary to lay down a solid steady back beat for rock n roll the way Charlie can.

Also, can you imagine what Andrew Loog Oldham's reaction to the big lanky [and, frankly, scary] redhead would have been when it came to group image? I suspect that Ian Stuart would have been the second Stone to be sacked, rather than the first.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: January 6, 2013 02:16

I read somewhere else where it was suggested that he could be considered the first stones drummer. I don't remember where i read it but it mentioned that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones used to jam in the breaks of Alexis Korner's with the rythum section of his band. Deffinately was Ginger Baker on the drums and may have been Jack Bruce on bass. I need to look where i might have read it. Too many books!!

I met him a few times, the first couple of times and he was a prick. Last year i was at Ronnie Scotts in the day when his Jazz confusion were setting up. I was mucking around on a piano and ending up having a nice chat with him. He spoke about Cream in a positive light but said that it overshadowed everything else he did. Even shock my hand afterwards!

Date: January 6, 2013 02:37

mr_c_ox
I read somewhere else where it was suggested that he could be considered the first stones drummer. I don't remember where i read it but it mentioned that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones used to jam in the breaks of Alexis Korner's with the rythum section of his band. Deffinately was Ginger Baker on the drums and may have been Jack Bruce on bass. I need to look where i might have read it. Too many books!!

I met him a few times, the first couple of times and he was a prick. Last year i was at Ronnie Scotts in the day when his Jazz confusion were setting up. I was mucking around on a piano and ending up having a nice chat with him. He spoke about Cream in a positive light but said that it overshadowed everything else he did. Even shock my hand afterwards!

yes it was jack bruce. i have a nice picture of jack bruce, watts, jagger and korner on stage together in 1962 while the stones were just getting together. i believe the picture is just a few weeks short of when baker joined bruce and korner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 02:55 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: January 6, 2013 02:46

geoffc

It is true that he played with members of The Stones when he was with Alexis Korner's blues outfit, but this was before they were calling themselves The Rollin' Stones--it's the same thing when you compare The Quarrymen to The Beatles. Just because you played in a band with John Lennon when you were 15, it doesn't make you an ex-Beatle.

Ginger Baker is fond of retrospectively embellishing his legend. If you believe what he says he'll tell you that he was one of the main songwriters in Cream and, for example, that it was his idea for the tempo change to the "cowboys and Indians" backbeat in Sunshine Of Your Love--when Jack Bruce and Tom Dowd [whose idea it was] will tell you otherwise.

The Stones wouldn't have sounded the same with Ginger Baker, and not necessarily in a good way--that characteristic "wobble" would not have been there, and Keith would not have developed in the same way as a guitarist, which he did from playing off of Charlie's drumming style.

The only partnership between Baker and Keith might have been that Keith would have become a full-blown junkie by 1963, as Baker was fired from Ronnie Scott's for selling heroin to musician Tubby Hayes as early as 1961.

Date: January 6, 2013 03:00

baker grooving on a cover of the hendrix tune "freedom" with baker gurvitz army:

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 6, 2013 03:44

Graham Bond, Alexis Korner, Ginger Baker, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Jack Bruce and John Burch

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 6, 2013 03:50

Deltics

Graham Bond, Alexis Korner, Ginger Baker, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Jack Bruce and John Burch

yes that is the lineup after watts left.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: January 6, 2013 03:56

He's a great drummer but didn't he say some utter crap about the Stones a few years ago and especially slagging Mick off?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 6, 2013 09:23

He doesn't think much of the Stones (except Charlie) - see this article, which might also be the one The Wick is thinking of re the "slagging off Mick".

[www.independent.co.uk]

When the Sixties pop era arrived, Baker was playing complex rhythms with Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated and the Graham Bond Organisation. Also, heroin was making him, in his words, "an obnoxious little git". He didn't have much time for the 4/4 beats of the pop world. In the book, he cites Charlie Watts and Pete Townshend as "proper musicians," but doesn't mention The Beatles. Hadn't he admired Ringo Starr's drum style?

"HAH!" Baker lets out a roar of delight, or possibly pain, at the idea. "They weren't musicians!" he says, drying his eyes. "I worked with George Harrison and he was a musical moron. He didn't understand music at all. He tried to explain what he wanted, and I couldn't understand a word. The only musician was George Martin, he was The Beatles. Paul McCartney boasts that he can't read music. How can a musician boast that he can't read music?" Baker's rant is delivered with the certainty of a man who put in the hours studying Bach and Mozart. He is just as dismissive of other sacred monsters of the time. "Mick Jagger and Brian Jones were playing at the Ealing Club, and Alexis asked us to play behind them for the interval. We weren't very happy, so we played complicated time things to throw Mick off the beat. He would lose it completely and Brian would have to get him back on. Mick Jagger got everything from him. The original sound of the Stones was Brian Jones leaping about and doing all the showmanship. Jagger just stood there at the microphone."

And when they became the world's greatest rock band? "I never could stand the Stones," said Baker. "They were like a load of little kids trying to play black blues music and playing it very badly – but that's what people went for, because it was naive and banal. The lack of technique and musicianship was its appeal, from the start. It was extremely commercial, musically. The guitarist, Keith, sometimes has a go at Eric [Clapton]. but Eric is 150,000 times better a musician than he'll ever be. But because of their fame and fortune, they believe they're special."

Even the sainted Jimi Hendrix gets a telling-off. He sat in at a gig at London Polytechnic in 1966 and greatly impressed Clapton. Sounding distinctly Scrooge-like, Baker reports: "Hendrix could play okay. But he started doing all this showman shit when he sat in with us. If I had to choose a guitarist from history, I'd pick Eric over Jimi every time. Jimi was good but he was too interested in that... stuff. His big thing was pulling chicks, which he was very good at."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 15:14 by Green Lady.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2013 12:47

stonehearted

The only partnership between Baker and Keith might have been that Keith would have become a full-blown junkie by 1963, as Baker was fired from Ronnie Scott's for selling heroin to musician Tubby Hayes as early as 1961.

grinning smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:23

stonehearted
crumbling_mice

I would agree on your last point. Though Ginger and Charlie share a jazz background, Ginger's heart is in Africa when it comes to drumming and he seemed to not have the patience necessary to lay down a solid steady back beat for rock n roll the way Charlie can.

Also, can you imagine what Andrew Loog Oldham's reaction to the big lanky [and, frankly, scary] redhead would have been when it came to group image? I suspect that Ian Stuart would have been the second Stone to be sacked, rather than the first.
Baker shows up in various key points of Rock history. Did you know he plays drums on "Band on The Run"?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 15:11

geoffc

Ginger was (maybe still is) a great drummer, but I read quite some interviews of him and he seems to like pissing people off at times. Off course he never was a drummer with the Stones. It's the same as saying that Paul Jones (Manfred Mann) was a singer with the Stones only because he was with Brian Jones and Charlie Watts at some point .... (ah, there still is this rumour that he once replaced Mick Jagger in early 1963 when the latter was ill.)
Also Mick Avory never played with the Stones. He rehearsed only twice with with the guys, who weeks later became The Rollin' Stones as of the first week of July 1962 and started to play live as of July 12, 1962.
We should all know that by now smoking smiley

Posted by: bobcat ()
Date: January 6, 2013 15:39

Baker from 1992 (I'd never heard of this before but what I hear makes me want to investigate the album it comes from):

Date: January 6, 2013 15:52

bobcat
Baker from 1992 (I'd never heard of this before but what I hear makes me want to investigate the album it comes from):

thats a great album

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 6, 2013 16:28

Here is Ginger in PIL.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1541
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home