Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: jefferson airplane/grace slick/paul kantner
Date: January 5, 2013 02:22

mstmst
Love these guys - funny that they never have had any resurgence of popularity or recognition past the late 60's - (versus the Dead for instance). Interesting that Volunteers came out around the time LIB came out - two epic records, both with Nicky playing all over them.

well they sorta did as most of the band took part in the jefferson starship until the early 80's. jefferson starship was very popular. then after the band became just starship and all of the members were gone but grace jefferson airplane reformed in the late 80's to do 1 album and tour. their entire catalog was remastered in the 90's except for bark, long john silver and 30 seconds over winterland and most of the remasters included bonus tracks. a nice 3 cd boxset was released in the early 90's. they have been such strong sellers that 2 live albums were released, 1 in the late 90's and 1 in the 2000's. finally the strong sales of the airplane remasters got the label to reissue some solo stuff, the first jorma album with bonus tracks, blows against the empire with bonus tracks and baron von tollbooth and sunfighter but without bonus tracks

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 5, 2013 03:23

Just noticed this thread! I had the Blows Against The Empire cd in my car yesterday... I really enjoy that one. It has elements of the Moody Blues, I think, but it's its own thing. Good stuff.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 5, 2013 03:54

>their entire catalog was remastered in the 90's except for bark, long john silver and 30 seconds over winterland

I've got all 3 of those on CD remastered. The first two were released in '96 (no bonus tracks) but may be out-of-print in the US. 30 SECONDS... came out in 2009 w/6 bonus tracks:

[www.amazon.com]

And since no one's mentioned it, Slick's solo debut MANHOLE is a trip worth seeking out for the adventurous.

Date: January 5, 2013 04:35

Glam Descendant
>their entire catalog was remastered in the 90's except for bark, long john silver and 30 seconds over winterland

I've got all 3 of those on CD remastered. The first two were released in '96 (no bonus tracks) but may be out-of-print in the US. 30 SECONDS... came out in 2009 w/6 bonus tracks:

[www.amazon.com]

And since no one's mentioned it, Slick's solo debut MANHOLE is a trip worth seeking out for the adventurous.

the 2009 remaster isn't the bands official record label rca/legacy/bmg. thanks though i see they did remaster the others but no bonus tracks

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 5, 2013 15:08

Volunteers was a terrific album-- but I always found their catalog hit or miss-- they had some tracks that were killer, but some I found pretty weak ( and now sound really date d)-- but they did do some great stuff for sure-- I liked their stuff like Volunteers, Long John Silver, Bark, and the Kantner / Slick collaborations ( feat David Crosby )-- I also thought Papa John Creach was a cool addition--

Anyone listen to Jack Cassidy's Bass playing on Hendrix Electric Ladyland again recently ? Wow---

I also agree with the poster: 'we Built This City" makes me cringe every time I hear it or see the video-- one of the worst, if not the THE worst of all time...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2013 15:16

bob r
I also agree with the poster: 'we Built This City" makes me cringe every time I hear it or see the video-- one of the worst, if not the THE worst of all time...

too harsh. they kinda sorta DID build that city on rocknroll, you know.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 5, 2013 18:17

Jefferson Starship`s Red Octopus is just so great! Each time I hear "Miracles" I think this must be the "Avalon" of the 70s!

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: January 5, 2013 21:58

airplane at altamont... marty balin gets knocked out by hell's angels...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2198
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home