Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
For those of you who want a new Stones studio album: What if the Stones asked you and, say, five other fans...(cont'd)
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 04:34

...to sit down with them and tell them what you'd like on the new album, what would you tell them?

Re: For those of you who want a new Stones studio album: What if the Stones asked you and, say, five other fans...(cont'd)
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 4, 2013 05:44

Didn't the Beach Boys try the democratic process shortly after Pet Sounds...?

I hope they take their time and create something THEY like. Obviously they themselves were not big fans of A Bigger Bang, otherwise we would have heard more tracks. Look What The Cat Dragged In and Sweet Neo Con suck. Crummy songs, which is why they never got played out. Under the Radar and Let Me Down Slow are fantastic songs that should be played out.

I would love for them to go in, create a 10 track masterpiece of blue, soul & rocknroll. It wouldn't hurt for them to record Little Queenie as the opening track. They've played it enough live to nail down a perfect studio rendition. Its been a while since we got a blues cover on an album!

Re: For those of you who want a new Stones studio album: What if the Stones asked you and, say, five other fans...(cont'd)
Posted by: three16 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 06:40

I think a Cris Kimmsey/Bob Clearmountain produced product would be fresh.

Dig out some more gems from the archives. Re-record all the parts and re-write where needed to finish them. The best of the remaining songs spanning over their career.
All new recordings fresh in 2013. No guest musicans. Make it a guitar album. Give us the classic album opening 1- 2 punch we haven't heard since It's only rock & roll or some girls. Hit some funk, some soul and a really nasty blues rambler revisted. Slap about a country goove and a then a bluesy mid-tempo ballad. Bookend the openers with something to remember.

10 or 11 songs is all it would take.

Simply name the album: The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: January 4, 2013 07:17

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 4, 2013 07:29

I would say do what satisfies you and don't take advice from anyone outside the band.

Trying to second-guess audience expectations is a recipe for disaster.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 07:39

1. Get someone other than Don Was to produce it.
2. Play each song for a week....let it marinate...then play it again!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 4, 2013 16:04

I would tell them to do this:

Mick and Keith and Ronnie should write songs together, in the same room.
Bring in Charlie to rip thru them one by one, honing and narrowing down the list.

Next, bring in Jack White to produce the songs.
All tracks must be played "live" with all members present. Add Darryl, Bobby, Bernard, and Lisa to the lineup. No more, no less.

Release the album with great fanfare and begin the tour immediately in Detroit.

Talk amongst yourselves...

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: January 4, 2013 16:38

flacnvinyl
Didn't the Beach Boys try the democratic process shortly after Pet Sounds...?

I hope they take their time and create something THEY like. Obviously they themselves were not big fans of A Bigger Bang, otherwise we would have heard more tracks. Look What The Cat Dragged In and Sweet Neo Con suck. Crummy songs, which is why they never got played out. Under the Radar and Let Me Down Slow are fantastic songs that should be played out.

I would love for them to go in, create a 10 track masterpiece of blue, soul & rocknroll. It wouldn't hurt for them to record Little Queenie as the opening track. They've played it enough live to nail down a perfect studio rendition. Its been a while since we got a blues cover on an album!

I think that about covers it

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 4, 2013 16:45

I would tell them to invite Andrew Loog Oldham over for a visit, and have him lock Mick and Keith in the kitchen.

The rest will follow.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 4, 2013 16:48

treaclefingers
I would tell them to invite Andrew Loog Oldham over for a visit, and have him lock Mick and Keith in the kitchen.

The rest will follow.

when? i'm hungry now...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 4, 2013 16:53

Nothing but the Blues ...

Posted by: Ann Onn ()
Date: January 4, 2013 17:04

First posted October 6th 2011: I'm pleased to see that they have taken at least some of our advice.

Dear Rolling Stones,

We need a cure
For all our ills: we want a tour!
(Except for some of us, who don't.)
Where you will play, and where you won't
Is clear: the venues must be small,
So tourists can't get in at all.
And all the ticket allocation
Will be by strict examination.
(The higher marks you get, you see,
The cheaper will your tickets be
And front-row tickets then, will thus
Be free to Proper Fans like us.)

You'll have to change the band, and fire
Those people we do not require.
Chuck, let us say, or Ronnie Wood,
Or anyone we think no good.
The horns, and all those backup singers,
And Keith with his arthritic fingers.
(Though some won't come if Keith's not there.)

That leaves the stage a little bare
So get Mick Taylor back, and Bill!
If they won't come of their free will
Then send your minders round to make them.
Your fans demand: you've got to take them.

The setlist next: you've got to play
The whole of Exile, please, plus Sway.
And every song not played before
And all those rare songs we adore
Must all be perfectly rehearsed
Or else we'll boo, and you'll be cursed.
Lots from your newest album, too
The very least that you can do
To show that you believe in it
(Though lots of us will say it's sh*t).

All warhorses are strictly banned
From every show in every land.
Under these strict but fair conditions
You've got to make, dear Stones musicians,
A record profit, not a loss.
(Just to show U2 who's the boss)

An album next: a classic, please
With all your former expertise:
Better than Exile, Beggars, Sticky,
If you work hard, it won't be tricky.
No Stones-by-numbers and no filler,
A No.1, a five-star killer.
Who's to produce it? That's the question.
(We've got a long list of suggestions.)
Get Bill to help, Jeff Beck, Mick T.
(And all Real Fans should get it free).

But please remember, there are those
Who don't want albums, don't want shows.
Their view, so frequently expressed,
Says your past glories are your best
And nothing you could do today
Could match that time in any way.
We'd like a bunch of DVD's
Of smoking hot performances
From all our favourite tours of old.
Such treasures you must not withhold.
And let us have (we'd be so thrilled!)
About a dozen box sets, filled
With all our favourite bootleg stuff:
Live shows, and mixes in the rough.
WE won't be buying them, however.
We've had them since - well, since forever.

Now that you know just what we seek
We'd like it all next Wednesday week.
That shouldn't be a lot of trouble
So now get started, on the double.
If you can't promise this for sure
We... just won't love you any more.

So now you know. Those are our plans.

Yours faithfully,

Your faithful fans.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 4, 2013 18:05

StonesTod
treaclefingers

The rest will follow.

when? i'm hungry now...

OK, check that....cold Italian pizza with a squeeze of lemon for StonesTod.

It'll be up in about 6 minutes.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 4, 2013 19:07

Hire an old time producer you respect and listen to him. T Bone Burnett, Russ Titleman, Nile Rodgers for example, forget about Don Was, he's a cheerleader and a yes man. That being said with a 2013 tour on the horizon there's probably not enough time to make a proper album. Personally I'd rather they tour and perhaps record without a deadline afterwards. Dream scenario would be to make the album in various studios on the road like Sticky Fingers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-04 19:22 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 4, 2013 19:08

Title5Take1
...to sit down with them and tell them what you'd like on the new album, what would you tell them?

No need to write a new album...
1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
8. Living in the heart of love
9. Save Me (aka Criss Cross Man)
10. Hillside Blues
Bonus tracks: Dancing Girls - It's all wrong

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 4, 2013 19:27

it's all a long shot .no one tells the glimmers what to do any more !

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 4, 2013 19:51

I'd tell 'em this: Listen to Charlie and listen to what he listens to.

Start by listening to Sir Duke and his catalog, then Charlie Parker, then Coltrane.
From there go back to The Wolf and Waters, then Chuck, then the old Stones catalog
starting from the demos to '65.

Get inspired, get some jive back in the program, and most of all: practice, practice, practice.
Chuck the juice and the coke and Get Back to what it was all about: The Groove.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 4, 2013 20:13

Kurt
Let me guess. You're from Detroit?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 4, 2013 20:23

I would like to see a song titled GRRR!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 4, 2013 21:33

great question-i would tell them to not worry so much about writing all their own songs.

1.listen to some modern blues and country music by other artists and see if they hear anything they like.
theyve been writing for decades and no one can keep coming up with great ideas for that long.its too much pressure and they should just worry about how well they're playing not what they're playing.

2.not be afraid to dig into the outtakes and use an old song of their own.this idea that mick and keith have to write a fresh new record of brand new songs everytime is crap.if it sounds great thats all that matters,not who and where it came from.

3.not be afraid to rework one of their songs from a solo record.a stones version of i can feel the fire or wicked as it seems would be great.there are many more gems on those records than most people have never heard

Date: January 4, 2013 21:38

KRiffhard
Title5Take1

1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
10. Hillside Blues

Lonely at the top again???????????

Date: January 4, 2013 21:48

A blues album with a couple of covers will do just fine, imo

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 4, 2013 22:48

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
Title5Take1

1. Not the way to go
2. I need you
3. Misty Roads
4. Fiji Jim
5. Chainsaw Rocker
6. You got it made
7. Lonely at the top
10. Hillside Blues

Lonely at the top again???????????

Yes! I don't consider the embarassing Mick's solo version

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 4, 2013 22:57

lem motlow
great question-i would tell them to not worry so much about writing all their own songs.

1.listen to some modern blues and country music by other artists and see if they hear anything they like.
theyve been writing for decades and no one can keep coming up with great ideas for that long.its too much pressure and they should just worry about how well they're playing not what they're playing.

2.not be afraid to dig into the outtakes and use an old song of their own.this idea that mick and keith have to write a fresh new record of brand new songs everytime is crap.if it sounds great thats all that matters,not who and where it came from.

3.not be afraid to rework one of their songs from a solo record.a stones version of i can feel the fire or wicked as it seems would be great.there are many more gems on those records than most people have never heard

This makes a lot of sense to me - provided Mick and Keith can actually find anything by other modern artists that they can agree on for long enough to cover it.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 4, 2013 22:59

This is an interesting question. I would tell them to keep it simple, no over production or loudness war techics. Also, bring in Mick T and Bill for some tracks at least. I have no doubts they could make a killer album.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 4, 2013 23:01

I guess the underwhelming reception to Doom and Shot probably has hurt the chances for a new album. I think Mick and Keith really liked them.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 4, 2013 23:07

DoomandGloom
I guess the underwhelming reception to Doom and Shot probably has hurt the chances for a new album. I think Mick and Keith really liked them.

But the reception to Doom and Gloom has been excellent. I think that's why Mick has been talking up the idea of a new studio album. L.A. radio has been playing it a ton. Just the view numbers of both videos on YouTube are huge. And the comments include raves.

Even Mick says, "Everyone's saying good things about it [DOOM AND GLOOM] so I can't be happier."

From here: [www.billboard.com]

I don't know it for sure, but I think the huge response to the "painting" video is what prompted them to next do the live-action video with Noomi Rapace. Otherwise they would have probably left it to the one "non-participation" video like they did with Don't Stop.

I love both new songs, myself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-04 23:27 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: January 5, 2013 00:04

Kurt

Bring in Charlie to rip thru them one by one, honing and narrowing down the list.

All tracks must be played "live" with all members present. Add Darryl, Bobby, Bernard, and Lisa to the lineup. No more, no less.

...Forget Jack White-get Rick Rubin....forget Bernard, Lisa, and Chuck Leavell-Darryl and Bobby Keys only-get Bob Clearmountain to mix it if he is still around....begin the tour in Long Beach California......other than those few corrections you are on to something!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 5, 2013 00:20

lunar!!!
Kurt

...Forget Jack White-get Rick Rubin....forget Bernard, Lisa, and Chuck Leavell-Darryl and Bobby Keys only-get Bob Clearmountain to mix it if he is still around....begin the tour in Long Beach California......other than those few corrections you are on to something!

Thanks lunar!!!
I never mentioned Chuck. Mick would be fine for any studio piano work.
As much as I like Rick Rubin and his work with Johnny Cash, I don't think he fits in with the Glimmers dynamic. At least the dynamic that I'm dreaming of...

Long Beach for starters???
OK, as long as they tour damnit!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: January 5, 2013 22:51

Kurt
lunar!!!
Kurt

Thanks lunar!!!
I never mentioned Chuck. Mick would be fine for any studio piano work.
As much as I like Rick Rubin and his work with Johnny Cash, I don't think he fits in with the Glimmers dynamic. At least the dynamic that I'm dreaming of...

Long Beach for starters???
OK, as long as they tour damnit!

...Rick Rubin wouldn't take any $#@!%^& from the boys--when he is hired to produce-he produces...i think he would get an interesting feel from the band and maybe a different sound (mix) than Don Was has been foisting upon us...Mick would be great if he played piano-hadn't thought of that...maybe Keith too?...i will compromise with you--they can start the tour halfway between Detroit and Long Beach...say maybe...mmmmm....Ft Collins Colorado..just for old times sake!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home