Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Faces...a reminder...
Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 21, 2005 18:48

Just thought I'd let everyone know what a great rock/bluesy band they were.
The dirtiest/rockiest band around!!!!

Long live the bass wizard...

Esky

Re: The Faces...a reminder...
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 21, 2005 19:26

Yes. If their songwriting had been a little better, or maybe I should say a little deeper, they would have been on a par with the Stones. Listening to the box set has really reminded me what a great vocalist Rod Stewart was. It's sad what a drop-off this guy had after the Faces and his first couple solo albums.

Ronnie Lane was a great musician/songwriter. His Small Chance at the BBC disc is well worth finding. Also the disc he did with Pete Townsend.

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 21, 2005 19:26

Esky you bugger! I couldn't agree more! Ronnie was certainly at his greatest with them and "Had Me A Real Good Time" is one of my favorites of all time! I loved Ronnie Lane's plaintive "Richmond" as well. By the way, do you have the Faces Peel Session yet? Let us know if you don't and I'll send you copy!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 21, 2005 21:06

Hey -I saw the Faces back in the early 70's at a little nightclub in Hollywood.
Was before I was 21 and there was free champagne upstairs for Adults.. Lucky for
me & my buddies my older brother came and he was dropping his wallet down to us
so we could get up there. The doorman was only looking at the birthday on everyone's licenses, one of my buddies had a afro, guys with all colours of
hair, etc. we laughed about that for days. Once up there you were only suppose to take one cup at a time, we stopped the line and grabbed & drank 4-5 cups!!!
then got back in line.. girls were dancing on the tables after a while..

The Faces were travelling with a Bar in those days, right on the side of the stage, line of beers up there, Rod or Ronnie would come by, grab one, take a swig, and hand it to someone in the crowd... midway thru the show Rod grabbed a bottle of whiskey and did the same thing, that bottle was grabbed quickly up
front!! This was around the time I saw the Stones with Taylor (72) the faces
were a good-time bar band, alot of fun and entertaining, but the Stones were
the "Greatest R&R band!!!! in those days!!! MLC

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: January 21, 2005 21:10

Nice one, MLC.

When in my tender teens and only really into Stones I went to my friendly record store, (where you could sit and listen to music (LPs) with headphones to see if you liked it), and asked "Do you have anything like the Rolling Stones?". I was given the Faces' Long Player (to which ChrisM alludes). Not quite the Stones, but I wasn't disappointed. Ronnie's playing on Maybe I'm Amazed "knocked me out".

That summer Maggie May/Reason to Believe was a huge hit and I was annoyed by Rod, trying to be a jagger I thought, but sure liked that sound of the guitarist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-21 21:17 by Deidre.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 21, 2005 21:50

Deidre - Rod was big around my part's in those days, from lead singer with the Jeff Beck group to: Gasoline Alley & Every Picture... classic music!! MLC

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: January 21, 2005 23:08

Yes, I grew to like him. His songs and arrangements are superb. And Ronnie would probably be nowhere without him. So Stones fans owe a lot to Rod, indirectly, to Rod.

I don't knock Rod now. Even liked some his post Faces stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home