Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Do they have enough material in the can to pull together a Tattoo You style album?
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 29, 2012 22:09

StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
Given that there was talk about such an album coming out in 1999 I wonder if a running order or track listing was prepared. I don't think the age of the tracks comes into it. If a "new" album focussed on the Voodoo/B2B albums then the tracks would come from a four year period. So they would have a kind of unity. As long as they appear to have come from the same place and time (roughly) then it would work. And it wouldn't be as if they were trying to kid us that they were modern recordings.

but why the black hat?

??

you deny it? it's pretty plain for all to see....

It it comforts you to believe that then go ahead. You probably also believe the world to be flat.

Do you have an opinion on the subject matter of the thread?

Re: Do they have enough material in the can to pull together a Tattoo You style album?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2012 22:11

BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
Given that there was talk about such an album coming out in 1999 I wonder if a running order or track listing was prepared. I don't think the age of the tracks comes into it. If a "new" album focussed on the Voodoo/B2B albums then the tracks would come from a four year period. So they would have a kind of unity. As long as they appear to have come from the same place and time (roughly) then it would work. And it wouldn't be as if they were trying to kid us that they were modern recordings.

but why the black hat?

??

It it comforts you to believe that then go ahead. You probably also believe the world to be flat.

yes, i do - but that is beside the point and you know it.

Date: December 29, 2012 22:12

StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

??

Err, no I don't. Are you on medication? If not you should be.

Date: December 29, 2012 22:13

BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

??

you black-hatted folks are all the same - always changing the subject and avoiding the issue at hand.

Date: December 29, 2012 22:15

StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

??

you black-hatted folks are all the same - always changing the subject and avoiding the issue at hand.

If you told me what the issue was it would be enlightening. But hey, you probably have at least four voices in your head. So don't worry about that.

Date: December 29, 2012 22:20

BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

??

If you told me what the issue was it would be enlightening. But hey, you probably have at least four voices in your head. So don't worry about that.

i'll try once more and i'll go slower this time: why...the....black....hat?

Date: December 29, 2012 22:23

StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

??

Coz I likes the quote from Keith in Crossfire Hurricane. Is that OK with you?

Date: December 29, 2012 22:25

BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

??

Coz I likes the quote from Keith in Crossfire Hurricane. Is that OK with you?

i see. i don't watch movies. but, ok.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 30, 2012 00:54

That 1999 album was supposedly due to be called "Memory Hotel".

As long as the stuff they release is unknown they could easily make it pass for new stuff. VL is well know but nothing from B2B or ABB has leaked. In any case it can't be that good since they passed on it for the 2012 sessions.

I think an EP in 2013 would do the job fine, it would remind them of their youth and they could knock it out in a couple of weeks. For a new album to come out they'd need to be able to make some kind of statement and how is that going to happen at this point in the game?

Mick is smart and won't repeat the mistake of ABB, an album of very little interest that was a glorified solo album...unlike VL where they really tried hard to write together but came out mostly empty handed with generic tunes like "Sparks Will Fly" worked out on the spot in Ireland and very little of the extensive Barbados writing sessions in Barbados ended up being used, with Sweethearts Together being the exception possibly. Looking back at the past 30 years, I think only B2B stands out.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2012 01:08

I think what's being illuminated here is that the group is still together, but the songwriting partnership that propelled them to begin with has ended. When was the last songwriting bout between Mick & Keith? I'm not sure they can stand to be around each other in an intimate setting anymore for an extended period. At some point it appears that Keith was consumed by jealousy and hasn't gotten over it. He may express it as contempt, but it seems he really is hurt that Mick seems to get along without him just fine, and has so for many years.

And maybe Keith's songwriting powers have diminished. Time and rust have taken their toll. He doesn't seem to have that real swagger this go round. The 'Human Riff' has slowed. Which is fine. We all get old. And he's certainly put himself through enough physical damage. I think Keith would benefit from an understanding Mick taking the time to work with him to come up with some good material. But Mick has probably run out of patience. How sad. These two made each other world famous and fantastically rich beyond their wildest dreams. And yet it's their personal relationship that causes them pain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 05:42 by 24FPS.

Date: December 30, 2012 01:35

24FPS
And maybe Keith's songwriting powers have diminished.

ya think???

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2012 01:40

Witness
StonesTod
Witness
The motivation would be to reach new listeners, not yet prepared to buy a Rolling Stones album, but who on the other hand might more willing than the warhorse-oriented older generations to embrace new songs during concerts.

my motivation for the remainder of the day is to study this sentence and report back to the community on my findings as to its meaning.

Addressed perhaps as much to other readers than to you: Electronic singles that they will not have to pay for, could make listeners of younger generations not yet prepared to buy a Stones album, but willing to be parts of Stones audiences as event seekers, familiar with new Stones songs. These rather new listeners to Stones music might then be much more open to these songs during concerts than nostalgia bent older listeners.

He means illegal downloading. Way behind the times.

Date: December 30, 2012 01:44

GasLightStreet
Witness
StonesTod
Witness
The motivation would be to reach new listeners, not yet prepared to buy a Rolling Stones album, but who on the other hand might more willing than the warhorse-oriented older generations to embrace new songs during concerts.

my motivation for the remainder of the day is to study this sentence and report back to the community on my findings as to its meaning.

Addressed perhaps as much to other readers than to you: Electronic singles that they will not have to pay for, could make listeners of younger generations not yet prepared to buy a Stones album, but willing to be parts of Stones audiences as event seekers, familiar with new Stones songs. These rather new listeners to Stones music might then be much more open to these songs during concerts than nostalgia bent older listeners.

He means illegal downloading. Way behind the times.

i don't understand why illegal downloading is illegal; seems perfectly legal.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 30, 2012 01:48

Scrolling through this thread makes me dizzy

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 30, 2012 01:52

Rolling Hansie

Perhaps you need to smoke something illegal that should be legal that will help you illegally download something you can get legally.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 30, 2012 02:00

Yeah RH... those quote boxes are like little kid's play-pens ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 30, 2012 02:01

GasLightStreet
Rolling Hansie

Perhaps you need to smoke something illegal that should be legal that will help you illegally download something you can get legally.

Now you got me really dizzy

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 30, 2012 04:42

Gazza
To dust off 20-30 year old songs, add overdubs and pass them off as 'fresh' material would be something that would be of dubious credibility

Indeed it would, but I took this whole conversation to mean that they do the Tattoo You thing but not try to pass it off as new. I know, the question then becomes "why7", but it worked for Plundered My Soul, so why not give it a whack? There are probably some tunes there with killer potential.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 30, 2012 04:56

They didn't have enough material to make 2 new good songs in 2012.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 30, 2012 05:03

carlorossi
Gazza
To dust off 20-30 year old songs, add overdubs and pass them off as 'fresh' material would be something that would be of dubious credibility

Indeed it would, but I took this whole conversation to mean that they do the Tattoo You thing but not try to pass it off as new. I know, the question then becomes "why7", but it worked for Plundered My Soul, so why not give it a whack? There are probably some tunes there with killer potential.

Then release them - as they did with Plundered My Soul - on deluxe versions of the albums they were recorded for or as a standalone multi disc set of outtakes.

Tattoo You wasnt marketed as an album of leftovers, and in any case it did have some bonafide 'new' songs ('Neighbours' and 'Heaven').

They had just released an album a year before and with the amount of recordings they'd made in the 1977-79 period, it was reasonable enough to cobble together spruced up versions of unfinished songs from that era to release on a new album to promote a tour. They were still, for the most part, relatively recent songs.

Going almost a decade after their last album and then digging up quarter century old songs and putting them out as a 'new' studio album instead of releasing recently written material would give out one message and one message only - "we're washed up".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 30, 2012 05:10

BlackHat

I remember seeing a list of titles at the time (including "3 Valley Place" and "Poor Little Johnny Glass") but I think they were bogus, and I've never seen any of the songs listed on any recording sessions chronology.

I'm unconvinced that this album was close to being released.

Take a look at the IORR news for May 21, 1999. [www.iorr.org]

This album was, at the time, 10 days away from being released and yet NO track listing was known?

Absolutely impossible. Album details are just never that secretive at that short notice.

Then there's an entry for June 2nd saying it had been delayed until July.

[www.iorr.org]

All far too vague to be credible, in my opinion.

Date: December 30, 2012 05:43

They may have - quite a while ago.

Nothing from the 2002 sessions is worth releasing based on what was released as well as what is on Four Flicks.

There's too much on A Bigger Bang as it is, even with the two good songs released a little later via that special release - and how they left those two tracks off the LP and instead put on (enter several lame songs here) is the biggest mystery of recent Stones albums - certainly their biggest since the entire deal with Dirty Work.

What they did for the 2012 releases is fine, and better than the 4 Licks songs, but did they really need to do those just for another hits album? They could've easily just did them as singles.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 30, 2012 05:43

sirdoug
In a perfect world, the Stones living together under one roof for a month or even two (Mick Taylor and Bil Wyman included) and writing some "serious" rock & roll music, would be the dream. As I said, in a perfect world. Incorporate more blues and even folk into their music as in the Beggars Banquet days; using more acoustic guitars and slide. Go out with a masterpiece.

What a fantastic idea. A bunch of 70 year old men are going to give up their lives for a month move back in to Nellcote or something and play house so they can make an album together, something they haven't done in decades and have no desire to do.

Date: December 30, 2012 05:49

sirdoug
In a perfect world, the Stones living together under one roof for a month or even two (Mick Taylor and Bil Wyman included) and writing some "serious" rock & roll music, would be the dream. As I said, in a perfect world. Incorporate more blues and even folk into their music as in the Beggars Banquet days; using more acoustic guitars and slide. Go out with a masterpiece.

They sort of did that with a LP release in 1994 - it has slide, acoustic, folk, blues but no Taylor or Wyman on it. Masterpiece? Arguably not since 1981 at the latest - nothing after it, of course. Unless for some demented reason you think Voodoo Lounge was a masterpiece.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 30, 2012 09:20

I think it is fine to have imaginary friends as an adult - we encourage it in children, yet we regard adults with imaginary friends as having mental/psychological issues. I believe that's wrong - an imaginary friend can simply be a harmless way to compensate for feelings of inadequacy (whether sexual or social) or loneliness, and can stimulate the creative side of the brain. There is, of course, a problem if imaginary friends are symptomatic of a more insidious multiple personality disorder.

Date: December 30, 2012 10:25

Gazza
BlackHat

I remember seeing a list of titles at the time (including "3 Valley Place" and "Poor Little Johnny Glass") but I think they were bogus, and I've never seen any of the songs listed on any recording sessions chronology.

This album was, at the time, 10 days away from being released and yet NO track listing was known?

Absolutely impossible. Album details are just never that secretive at that short notice.

[www.iorr.org]

That's interesting. My only knowledge of this "album" was reading an article in Record Collector in WH Smith just before the 1999 Wembley shows.

Thanks for the detail.

Posted by: jumpinjack ()
Date: December 30, 2012 10:29

in other words.....make another awesome album for all generations!!! ;-)

Date: December 30, 2012 10:32

jumpinjack

Hardly likely. My experience of the Under 30s with the Stones shows that they break into 2 camps. Kids who play music and understand the Stones value (5%) and young ladies who like to wear a sequinned Stones lapping tongue t-shirt but have never actually heard their music (95%). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 30, 2012 12:21

Gazza
BlackHat

[www.iorr.org]

Yeah a bit like the release of "Ever Changing World" that was to be released as the b-side of "Saint of Me"...and it never did. Looks like someone within the Stones' camp was playing the fans during the 97/99 period...

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: December 30, 2012 17:26

BlackHat
jumpinjack

Hardly likely. My experience of the Under 30s with the Stones shows that they break into 2 camps. Kids who play music and understand the Stones value (5%) and young ladies who like to wear a sequinned Stones lapping tongue t-shirt but have never actually heard their music (95%). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Watchman - your experience of the under 30's appreciation to the stones is completely mis-guided - most of my friends at university went through years at university discovering the wonder of the Stones, and the beatles, doors, Led Zep etc.

If the stones wanted a better representation of these fans at shows, rather than hundreds of 'younf ladies who like to wear sequinned Stones lapping tongue t-shirts' probably with there siginificantly older Banker husbands, they should stop alienating them with ludicrous ticket prices for shows, and maybe turn up to one or two of the great summer festivals across the UK and Europe. Bruce has done this in recent years and succeeded.

In a weird way I admire your unbridled joy and devotion to the stones (even if you express it through seven different log-ins on this board - and then suggest that other people have four voices in their head) - but you need to try and have a more balanced perspective on them. Why the high ticket prices? (makes more money - not bothered who makes up the crowd as long as they pay the price of a ticket) Why no festival appearances? (bar a single outing to IOW in 2006) - not worth it as they wouldn't recieve enough money.

My only suggestion, and I'm sure someone much more business savy and actually close to the band must have already suggested, is say they were to play Glastonbury 2013 or another festival whilst the upfront fee may not be what they would get out of bed for, the coverage this would gain them (like the superbowl) the vast new audience that would get to see them, would undoubtably result in a surge in back-catalogue sales, dvds and interest.
Both sides win.

Who knows, they could change the app to a 69p app, tell the whole crowd, and people watching at home to download it and be able to choose two songs on the setlist that night and bingo - the've probably re-couped the money they wanted up front there and then.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home