Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Do they have enough material in the can to pull together a Tattoo You style album?
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 29, 2012 13:49

I recall some talk of this in Record Collector in the run up to the summer 99 shows. They talked about an album made up of tracks from the Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon sessions. Since then they could add material from the 2002 Paris sessions and A Bigger Bang sessions. Not sure if the recent sessions yielded anything other than the two tracks we already have.

Such an album would be a quick and easy way to get new product out.

Re: Do they have enough material in the can to pull together a Tattoo You style album?
Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: December 29, 2012 14:09

Yes they do and they should.

Re: Do they have enough material in the can to pull together a Tattoo You style album?
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 29, 2012 15:05

Some Girls bonus disc was a kind of Tattoo You style album.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 29, 2012 15:43

They just need one more great album to overtake the Beatles, right? Was that you who said that or was it the Jack O' Lantern?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 29, 2012 16:07

Don Was has said in interviews he had enough material to make several good albums. Some Girls deluxe proved him right. I think that should have been marketed as a new album!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 16:55 by whitem8.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 29, 2012 16:34

At the moment I'd prefer the Stones to record two, three or four new songs more or less in the musical style of "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot". That would be with the view to release them as electronic singles, one at a time, during the winter and spring of 2013. Alternatively, one or two of those might be more trend or even commercially directed. The motivation would be to reach new listeners, not yet prepared to buy a Rolling Stones album, but who on the other hand might more willing than the warhorse-oriented older generations to embrace new songs during concerts.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2012 16:54

Witness
The motivation would be to reach new listeners, not yet prepared to buy a Rolling Stones album, but who on the other hand might more willing than the warhorse-oriented older generations to embrace new songs during concerts.

my motivation for the remainder of the day is to study this sentence and report back to the community on my findings as to its meaning.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: December 29, 2012 16:58

Maybe they have ENOUGH material, but what about the quality?

WAY and WOAF are true classics. Without songs of that caliber a release of old material wouldn´t make sense.

Mick will NEVER allow a new album with old, but just average songs!

Priest

Date: December 29, 2012 17:00

Virgin Priest

that's worse than releasing a new album with new, but well-below average songs?

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: December 29, 2012 17:05

StonesTod
Virgin Priest

Did Mick ever do that?

;-)

Priest

Date: December 29, 2012 17:06

Virgin Priest
StonesTod
Virgin Priest

Did Mick ever do that?

;-)

Priest

yeah, several times, but he prolly doesn't even realize it. silly man.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 29, 2012 17:18

Their out takes are now way too old to be put out as new album
in the way of Tattoo You. They should be released as out takes.

They should get back in the studio and record new stuff and back it
up with some 2013 shows. How hard can it be?

Date: December 29, 2012 17:21

ChefGuevara
They should get back in the studio and record new stuff and back it
up with some 2013 shows. How hard can it be?

uh...we ARE talking about the rolling stones here, right?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 29, 2012 17:26

StonesTod
Witness
The motivation would be to reach new listeners, not yet prepared to buy a Rolling Stones album, but who on the other hand might more willing than the warhorse-oriented older generations to embrace new songs during concerts.

my motivation for the remainder of the day is to study this sentence and report back to the community on my findings as to its meaning.

Addressed perhaps as much to other readers than to you: Electronic singles that they will not have to pay for, could make listeners of younger generations not yet prepared to buy a Stones album, but willing to be parts of Stones audiences as event seekers, familiar with new Stones songs. These rather new listeners to Stones music might then be much more open to these songs during concerts than nostalgia bent older listeners.

Date: December 29, 2012 17:27

Posted by: StonesTod () Date: December 29, 2012 17:21

Keep the out takes coming!

Date: December 29, 2012 17:45

Witness
StonesTod
Witness

Addressed perhaps as much to other readers than to you: Electronic singles that they will not have to pay for, could make listeners of younger generations not yet prepared to buy a Stones album, but willing to be parts of Stones audiences as event seekers, familiar with new Stones songs. These rather new listeners to Stones music might then be much more open to these songs during concerts than nostalgia bent older listeners.

listen, man...i'm still trying to decipher that sentence...and you are distracting me...

Date: December 29, 2012 17:45

ChefGuevara

i knew you'd come around...

Date: December 29, 2012 18:41

StonesTod
ChefGuevara

i knew you'd come around...

Guess that wishful Christmas spirit is wearing off now...back to reality.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2012 19:25

They just proved that outtakes from 1978 are better than new material from 2012.

They produced exactly two new songs in the last seven years.

Yet people pine for a "new" album. At the rate of two songs every seven years it will take 35 years for a 10-song album.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2012 19:27

A collection of outtakes from the post Wyman era? You're kidding, right?

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: December 29, 2012 19:51

In a perfect world, the Stones living together under one roof for a month or even two (Mick Taylor and Bil Wyman included) and writing some "serious" rock & roll music, would be the dream. As I said, in a perfect world. Incorporate more blues and even folk into their music as in the Beggars Banquet days; using more acoustic guitars and slide. Go out with a masterpiece.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2012 20:08

sirdoug
In a perfect world, the Stones living together under one roof for a month or even two (Mick Taylor and Bil Wyman included) and writing some "serious" rock & roll music, would be the dream. As I said, in a perfect world. Incorporate more blues and even folk into their music as in the Beggars Banquet days; using more acoustic guitars and slide. Go out with a masterpiece.

They're too weird for that. And who knows if Bill would go for it. Then they have to worry about the hurt feelings of Darryl. Mick T seems eager. Of course it makes sense. Make a great Stones album at any cost. But the Dimmer Twins would stand in the way somehow. And I honestly don't think Mick can stand to be around Keith for long periods now. I think Keith's 'Life' dug the dagger in too deep. Hell, have some guests on the album. Not stupid vocal duets of old Stones songs, but instrumental guests. I'd love to hear Buddy Guy on a Stones cut. Or give Diana Krall a turn at keyboards. But alas, I only see them thrashing around on some pre-written tunes that take as little time to record as possible. I hope they prove me wrong.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 29, 2012 20:20

They probably do but they also proved that if they really put in a concerted effort that they could come up with some new material. Doom and Gloom and One More Shot were just tossed out in no time and though not great they are solid songs. Just think what they could do with some real effort plus go back and give some songs in the can a Tattoo You like makeover.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 29, 2012 20:27

No. There's no comparison. The leftover material is too old.

The stuff on Tattoo You was mostly 2-4 years old with a couple of songs being 8-9 years old.

If they were using that sort of time frame now the oldest material would be leftovers from their most recent album.

To dust off 20-30 year old songs, add overdubs and pass them off as 'fresh' material would be something that would be of dubious credibility if it was for an artist who had been dead for a couple of decades. To do it for a supposedly active band who have three songwriters would be the ultimate in barrel-scraping. They may as well give up if they were that desperate (thankfully Doom & Gloom suggests they have a bit of fire left) and it shows that their fans have no ambition at all.

Leave that sort of stuff for the Some Girls/Exile deluxe releases. Some of those songs may not have been 'authentic' outtakes either but doing a couple of overdubs on those type of projects has far more validity than pretending they've got 'new' material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 20:28 by Gazza.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 29, 2012 21:17

drbryant
They just need one more great album to overtake the Beatles, right? Was that you who said that or was it the Jack O' Lantern?

Date: December 29, 2012 21:30

Given that there was talk about such an album coming out in 1999 I wonder if a running order or track listing was prepared. I don't think the age of the tracks comes into it. If a "new" album focussed on the Voodoo/B2B albums then the tracks would come from a four year period. So they would have a kind of unity. As long as they appear to have come from the same place and time (roughly) then it would work. And it wouldn't be as if they were trying to kid us that they were modern recordings.

Date: December 29, 2012 21:31

BlackHat
Given that there was talk about such an album coming out in 1999 I wonder if a running order or track listing was prepared. I don't think the age of the tracks comes into it. If a "new" album focussed on the Voodoo/B2B albums then the tracks would come from a four year period. So they would have a kind of unity. As long as they appear to have come from the same place and time (roughly) then it would work. And it wouldn't be as if they were trying to kid us that they were modern recordings.

but why the black hat?

Date: December 29, 2012 21:32

StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

??

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 29, 2012 21:46

StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

Because it fits so stylishly atop a [Jumpin]JackOLantern.

Date: December 29, 2012 22:02

BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat

but why the black hat?

??

you deny it? it's pretty plain for all to see....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home