Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Hope you guepp my name"?!?
Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: December 29, 2012 03:12

Ever since the B2B tour Mick hasnt sung the line in Sympathy properly. He constantly sings what sounds like "guepp my name". Is he unable to sing the word "guess" anymore?? Listen to any version from the last 10-15 years and hear for yourself.

Re: "Hope you guepp my name"?!?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2012 03:14

whapp are you talking abowp?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 29, 2012 03:18

It's because since then they have been outsourcing the making of such equipment as microphones to China, and the made-in-China mics translate "ss" sounds as "pp" sounds. You can't hear "ll" sounds as well--they sound like "rr" through those made-in-China mics. Have you noticed that Mick sings "prrease to meet you" also?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 29, 2012 04:10

He bet his tongue when he was very young. Since then he is a constant lisper. On top of that he doesn't pronouce or accentuate the lyrics very well. I gave up long ago to actually listen to the lyrics. But then again, English isn't my first language. I don't have these kind of problems listening to singers like Sinatra though.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 29, 2012 05:13

In 72 (easiest to hear on the Brussels official release) he says "You can't always getch whachuwant". The 'getch' part cracks me up.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 29, 2012 05:18

Hope you GET my name, OK?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: December 29, 2012 18:44

OK!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: December 29, 2012 18:51

He does tend to chomp on those words. Good catch. smoking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 29, 2012 18:56

memphiscats

I love it memphiscats, great way of describing Mick's unique turn of phrase. He clearly loves to play around with the english language, there are many great examples of Jaggerisms out there.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: December 29, 2012 19:09

latebloomer
memphiscats

I love it memphiscats, great way of describing Mick's unique turn of phrase. He clearly loves to play around with the english language, there are many great examples of Jaggerisms out there.
Absolutely! He takes a word or a phrase, adds some bluesy southern slosh, then somehow anglophiles it, and then drips it off of his tongue - as only Mick can. Perhaps this requires a writing assignment for 2013: A Stones Guide to Spoken English. smoking smiley

Date: December 29, 2012 19:26

memphiscats
latebloomer
memphiscats

Absolutely! He takes a word or a phrase, adds some bluesy southern slosh, then somehow anglophiles it, and then drips it off of his tongue - as only Mick can. Perhaps this requires a writing assignment for 2013: [i]A Stones Guide to Spoken English[/i]. smoking smiley

Yes! It takes years to decipher some of his lyrics, and then people still argue about what he's saying. But it doesn't matter, it's the way he says them...and it's not just his words, it's all the grunts, growls,and howls. I still smile and sigh when I hear his opening lecherous laugh at the beginning of Stray Cat Blues and I've probably listened to the song a thousand times.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 29, 2012 19:45

What lisp?? Mick has no lisp! He does have a unique turn of phrase and pronounciation but no lisp that I've ever detected.Obviouslt Stoneage did not see one of the 5 recent shows------Mick has not sounded that strong in decades!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 29, 2012 20:16

whatf the guck are gou talkopin abut

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 29, 2012 22:57

What if Mick had a harelip?

Neither Scaduto or Andersen found this! HA!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 30, 2012 01:23

mickschix
What lisp?? Mick has no lisp! He does have a unique turn of phrase and pronounciation but no lisp that I've ever detected.Obviouslt Stoneage did not see one of the 5 recent shows------Mick has not sounded that strong in decades!

I'm sorry, Mickschix. You will have to look harder then. He does lisp. I think it has to do with the fact that he bit off a bit of the tip of the tongue in his early days. But he's not the only one, lisping is quite common, even among adults. In some countries it's an integral part of the language.

Date: December 30, 2012 16:27

dcba
What if Mick had a harelip?

Neither Scaduto or Andersen found this! HA!

Lwren has a harelip, but not where her mouth is.

jeroen

Date: December 30, 2012 16:34

Heyba.

Heyba mayba

Heyba mayba bayba.

Mushmouth...Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.

Date: December 30, 2012 18:08

I dont hear a lisp from Jagger either. I just find it funny all those years of singing "guess" he changed it to "guepp".

Guess

Guepp

Blatant Guepp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-30 18:11 by SWAYZ.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 30, 2012 18:57

As silly as this thread seemed you are actually right.

I guepp he will change other songs too....

"I guepp I'm lying to myself, it's just you and no one else"

"We spent a lonely night at the Memory Motel it's on the ocean, I guepp you know it well"

"The telephone is ringing, I say, "Hi, it's me. Who is it there on the line?"
A voice says, "Hi, hello, how are you? Well, I guepp I'm doin' fine"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2012 18:58

Stoneage
He bet his tongue when he was very young. Since then he is a constant lisper. On top of that he doesn't pronouce or accentuate the lyrics very well. I gave up long ago to actually listen to the lyrics. But then again, English isn't my first language. I don't have these kind of problems listening to singers like Sinatra though.

What was the amount? Did he make a bunch of money?

Date: December 30, 2012 19:17

Stoneage

Hahahaha,
i think he used his tongue too many times, to please women.
otherwise you havea funny post. Just that is jaggers quality, nottopronounce too well. Its Stones quality, but........ just go to sleep again..

jeroen

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 30, 2012 19:33

We had "bra shooer", "jump ja fla", "stree far mane" "ger offa ma clow"....

All on "Love You Live" actually.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 30, 2012 21:38

memphiscats

Date: December 30, 2012 22:21

GravityBoy

If memory serves, I think the best part of that album was Billy Preston`s mirror-like backup vocals on the inimitable `Ger Offa Ma Clow`.

Date: December 31, 2012 00:06

Mick does like secret words.

[videos.kristenwiig.org]

Date: December 31, 2012 03:48

I guepp we will never know why he changed the lyric!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 31, 2012 06:43

To digress...When I mess about playing (guitar) and singing BEAST OF BURDEN, I sometimes mistakenly sing the "walk for miles" line first, when "my back is broad" actually comes first. So I was heartened when during a BIGGER BANG show I saw, Mick made the same mistake.

Date: December 31, 2012 13:33

No lisp, but lotsa camp...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 31, 2012 15:30

treaclefingers
GravityBoy

If memory serves, I think the best part of that album was Billy Preston`s mirror-like backup vocals on the inimitable `Ger Offa Ma Clow`.

Yep..that was the "shoutin' an' hollerin' " tour. No attempt to sing whatsoever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home