Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

PLEASE HELP WITH LET IT BLEED AND SOME GIRLS INFO
Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: January 20, 2005 00:16

I'm hoping Gazza and other experts will take the time to post a paragraph on this. I need some info on what was going on with the Stones when they recorded the Let it Bleed and the Some Girls Albums. What influenced them, what were their interests and concerns, etc. For example some of the LIB songs were worked on with Brian Jones and others with Mick Taylor. I have a young friend who needs this information for a project, so I would be grateful for any serious and informative information. Please take a few minutes and post your thoughts.

Re: PLEASE HELP WITH LET IT BLEED AND SOME GIRLS INFO
Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 20, 2005 13:19

Let It Bleed: They had to get together a record to tour behind. Brian is (I think) only on one track and he was officially a member of the band till June 1969. Keith was hanging out with Gram Parsons which had some influence (and Ry Cooder was around). When they weren't recording for real they created a risable jam album called Jamming With Edward.

Some Girls: Keith was going to prison (maybe), Mick wanted to bring the Stones up to date by using punk as an influence. They had to record a strong album because it was their first under the deal with EMI.

Best to get a book out, the (long out of print and hard to find) B Charone covers Keefs 77/78 period the best.

Date: January 20, 2005 14:04

Let It Bleed: Ry Cooder recorded all the solos first. Then keith wiped it off and copied most of it.

Some Girls: Recorded in France. Long sessions. The skah and punk-aspect was important - they wanted to show that they still could! Read more about it in Mac's book "All The Rage" - great stuff.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: January 20, 2005 14:12

Let It Bleed's majestic open cut, and maybe the best recorded moment ever created by the Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter", was inspired by the anger and frustration of Keith Richards knowing that his best friend, who happens to be the vocalist of his group, was screwing his (Keith's) girlfriend, and they were shooting the whole thing for a movie...

My two cents..

- Doxa

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 20, 2005 14:53

I'm no expert, but I remember reading that during the writing/recording of LIB Mick and Keith lived near each other (Cheyne Walk?) and collaborated very closely on many of the songs. Midnight Rambler was written when the two were in Greece (or Italy, maybe).

Some Girls though was written in the current Stones style: a Mick song, a Keith song. Suprisingly, most of the rockier numbers on SG (Respectable, Lies) were written by Mick.

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 20, 2005 15:07

Almost ALL of SG was written by Mick. Only "Before they make me run" (and maybe Beast of Burden, altough id need to check) was by Keith.

Stu was disgusted by the punk style of many of the songs. "what the @#$%& do we need to sound like the Sex Pistols for" being one memorable comment.

As KSIE says, Mick and Keith were indeed both living at Cheyne Walk at the time of LIB (just a couple of hundred yards apart)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-20 15:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 20, 2005 15:12

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let It Bleed: Ry Cooder recorded all the solos
> first. Then keith wiped it off and copied most of
> it.
>

Not true. Cooder introduced Keith to Open G (in 1968), and did some sessions with the Stones. That's it. Cooder was pissed that Keith sais he 'invented' the open G style. Cooder couldn't stop talking about how he had made the new Stones sound... If he recorded all the solo's, he would have made it public for sure! Don't get me wrong, I like most of the Cooder albums (and he is great on Sister Morphine), but he never ever made up all the solo's for the Let it Bleed songs!

Date: January 20, 2005 15:12

<"what the @#$%& do we need to sound like the Sex Pistols for" being one memorable comment.>

In every book I've read Stu says "Status Quo" rather than Sex Pistols smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home