Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Why Has "Wild Horses" Endured where other older ballads sound dated?
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 27, 2012 12:14

In searching for the O2 performance of "Wild Horses", I was stunned by how many more recent artists have covered the song. Some great versions on youtube by artists like Garbage, Chris Cornell, Elvis Costello and Lucinda Williams, Guns N' Roses, Bush, Jewel, The Sundays, Charlotte Martin, Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys and Adam Levine. It seems to have achieved the status of a classic ballad; odd when you consider that it wasn't a hit when it was first released (stalling at #28 in the US). Interestingly, unlike other sixties/early seventies ballads (by groups ranging from the Carpenters to the Beatles) that sound strangely dated, and which one rarely hears except on American Idol and the like, "Wild Horses" sounds timeless.

I really found myself wondering what the reasons for that are - what is it about "Wild Horses" that contemporary artists/listeners don't hear in other ballads of the time? I immediately thought of all the great Beatles ballads from the late 60's - "Yesterday", "Let it Be", "The Long and Winding Road", which no contemporary artist would cover. "Wild Horses" has something that those songs lack - I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely there. I guess the point of this post is to just draw attention to an amazing achievement by the Stones (despite their being more well-known for their rock/blues music).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 12:15 by drbryant.

Re: Why Has "Wild Horses" Endured where other older ballads sound dated?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 27, 2012 12:41

Interesting question, whether posed of this song in particular...or with regard to why some songs age better than others in general.

Part of the answer may lie in WH being an example of the Stones' ability to take a classic genre [in this case a country ballad] and produce something of great quality and authenticity.

There are many hit songs which, whilst being very good, are a product of the trends, production and instrumentation of the time. This can date very badly and the songs often don't really work outside of their original context.

Or maybe WH is just a truly great song that stayed under thr radar for a generation or so...remaining fresh for some of today's new artists to discover ?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 27, 2012 12:59

Maybe Wild Horses, although it's a country-ballad, surely isn't a song for pussies.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: December 27, 2012 13:31

Because the whole song is INTENSE.

The lyrics, the melody line, the guitar playing, the arrangement, everything is intense, right in your face.

I think, the somg writing and the recording was a real FLOW.

Priest

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 27, 2012 13:33

Isn't this called a Evergreen

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 27, 2012 13:50

It is more of a lament than a ballad.

It doesn't try to be sacharrine, schmaltzy or even a chart-topping hit. It is a plaintive lament, pure and simple. Ballads are usually more up tempo and narrative in informing the listener of an event. This is, in the words of Mick at Knebworth, "a sad, sad song." Written straight from the heart as a carthartic release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 16:09 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 14:39

You cant really compare Wild Horses to those Beatles songs, no one covers them because, well, you could never do them justice. Wild Horses, although a good song is in the no one will care if you stuff it up area. Easier to do than say an Angie, a Fool To Cry or even a Moonlight Mile.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2012 14:49

....pretty good for a couple of Dartford cowboys

ROCKMAN

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 27, 2012 14:50

I like Angie better and I think it's underrated.

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 15:20

Guns`n Roses did it, they play Wild Horses in 2008, a great concert...if you want to hear, this is the link...I hope, it workssmiling smiley

a happy new year
Mimi

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 27, 2012 15:30

howled

and misunderstood. Angie is "dirtier" than its reputation. I love it and prefer it to Wild Horses which I find childish although the 1975 version was ok.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 27, 2012 15:32

The easy answer is because it's just a great song, with a great chord sequence, beautiful lyrics, etc.

I also think it's because Wild Horses is a very rootsy country-sounding thing. It's very raw and direct. It's not commercial at all and it's not schmaltzy or overly sweet. It's got no string section (compare with Angie, etc.) and the only harmony vocal is Keith's perfectly ragged voice.

In fact, it's not really a ballad at all, it's just a slow country rock song which has been categorized as a ballad from a commercial rock point of view. And it's better than most so called ballads (especially overblown power ballads) because it's just not really a ballad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 15:33 by LieB.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2012 15:49

I think that it's lack of initial commercial success had something to do with it as well. Covering 'Yesterday' you're going to get obvious, and probably not so complimentary comparisons.

Wild Horses on the other hand is not as readily identifiable with the Rolling Stones (except by us). It's not Satisfaction, or Brown Sugar or Start Me Up or Miss You.

That, coupled with the fact that it is a great song makes it a natural to be covered.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2012 16:58

yesterday is the most covered song of all-time...folks are still covering it...a folk did just yesterday, in fact.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 17:27

I think there's several of reasons it has endured.

1. It's a great song obviously. Great lyrics, great music, etc. It has wide appeal as it crosses genres and is a love song.

2. It's not dated. The sound and production of the song is timeless. There's not really anything there that makes it sound like it was recorded in the 70's. No instruments or production techniques that tip somebody off to its age. If it were recorded today, by like-minded people who didn't try to change it up too much, it would likely sound the same.

3. It's relateable. Unlike songs about doing heroin with the President, Satan, serial killers, and not being able to give it away on Seventh Avenue, most of us can relate to these lyrics.

4. Ambiguous lyrics. Sort of a continuation of #3, in that the lyrics are relateable to just about anybody who pays attention. A good lyricist can write about something personal, but not paint themselves in a corner so that the listener thinks it just about that person and their situation. While the lyrics might be personal to Jagger/Richards, they are ambiguous enough that just about anybody can apply the song to some moment in their own life. It's one of those songs that has a different meaning to everybody.

5. Lots of radio play never hurt anybody. But if it weren't such a great song, it wouldn't be getting that radio play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 17:28 by NoCode0680.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:28

StonesTod
yesterday is the most covered song of all-time...folks are still covering it...a folk did just yesterday, in fact.

see, that is so yesterday...not today at all.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:29

treaclefingers
StonesTod

you butchered that

Date: December 27, 2012 17:31

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

you butchered that

true, I hope I don't get banned.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 17:38

People love Chinese music.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 27, 2012 17:47

IMO the RS were at that time at their top concerning their musical creativity which resulted in these Great songs that were gonna last forever...

Cheers

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:10

Other ballads dated??? I don't think so!

Date: December 27, 2012 18:12

thabo
Other ballads dated??? I don't think so!

please reconsider your position.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:13

Wild Horses is stunning and is light years ahead of any other "ballard" (as Mick called them at the 02) that they have done. A colleague of mine was given a download voucher at Starbucks for Fool To Cry. I expressed my disappointment for him.

Date: December 27, 2012 18:14

BlackHat
Wild Horses is stunning and is light years ahead of any other "ballard" (as Mick called them at the 02) that they have done. A colleague of mine was given a download voucher at Starbucks for Fool To Cry. I expressed my disappointment for him.

Daddy, wass wrong?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:27

Redhotcarpet
howled

and misunderstood. Angie is "dirtier" than its reputation. I love it and prefer it to Wild Horses which I find childish although the 1975 version was ok.

The lyrics to Angie are tougher and less treacly....that's for sure, but Angie is also more overplayed and was a massive hit. I think all Stones ballads are timeless because Jagger was never a straight ballad songwriter - his 'ballads' were always cloaked in a kind of ambiguity and melancholy.
Wild Horses is a also a simple song to play and sing....the guitars are great and that makes it timeless. But its all in the approach and the interpretation. I disagree about the Long and Winding Road - its also timeless - its one of my favorite moments at a Macca concert and never fails to move me. It's not just a standard love song about some chick who left - not to me.....it's about loss....It's lyrics and melody have a timeless resonance to it. I always think of it as Paul's lament over his mother's death when he was a child, which gives the song real emotional power....she left him standing all alone.... In this cover, John Mayer plays the melody in tribute to soldiers overseas and their families. It has a quiet power - even just with the music because its so familiar....

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:37

" Wild Horses" is my favorite Stones song ( along with " Let It Loose") because it is mournful, soulful; it has universal appeal because the lyrics are perfectly matched to the melody. It moved me the first time that I heard it in an indescribable way, it goes right to your core. There have been times when I've seen the Stones perform it and it's made me cry, other times I just get caught up in the beauty of this song. When I think of " gems", I always put " Wild Horses" at the top of the list.

Date: December 27, 2012 18:41

if i could whine for a minute - and i rarely do...

i didn't understand it or like it when mick started adding "'cos" to the refrain on these past shows. there is no cause and effect here, mick. stop saying "'cos" - it doesn't work. stop it.

i do like the song alot, though, "'cos" or no "'cos."

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:43

Wild Horses is a very well-written song, both musically and lyrically. It's one of the Jagger/Richards compostitions that comes pretty close to Lennon/McCartney level of excellence.

The theme is universal; "We've hurt each other so much over the years, but I still ache for you", shows Jagger finally hitting a mature stride, lyrically (a strength that, for me, divides the 'big four' into 2).

Musically it's gorgeous; the chord sequence alone is moving, the leads and topline evoke tears, it's so beautiful. It's the kind of song artists WANT to cover, the notes alone evoke emotion. Again, well done, Mick.

I'd say Mick expanded on this type of writing a bit with Let It Loose (which I've always felt was a musical/lyrical direct evolution of Wild Horses in a way).

Comparisons to Angie for me are unfavourable. While Keith nailed that one musically, Angie, lyrically, falls up short in comparison.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 27, 2012 18:45

jamesfdouglas
Wild Horses is a very well-written song, both musically and lyrically. It's one of the Jagger/Richards compostitions that comes pretty close to Lennon/McCartney level of excellence.

The theme is universal; "We've hurt each other so much over the years, but I still ache for you", shows Jagger finally hitting a mature stride, lyrically (a strength that, for me, divides the 'big four' into 2).

Musically it's gorgeous; the chord sequence alone is moving, the leads and topline evoke tears, it's so beautiful. It's the kind of song artists WANT to cover, the notes alone evoke emotion. Again, well done, Mick.

I'd say Mick expanded on this type of writing a bit with Let It Loose (which I've always felt was a musical/lyrical direct evolution of Wild Horses in a way).

Comparisons to Angie for me are unfavourable. While Keith nailed that one musically, Angie, lyrically, falls up short in comparison.

good post. shocking, almost.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:46

StonesTod
if i could whine for a minute - and i rarely do...

i didn't understand it or like it when mick started adding "'cos" to the refrain on these past shows. there is no cause and effect here, mick. stop saying "'cos" - it doesn't work. stop it.

i do like the song alot, though, "'cos" or no "'cos."

This is a 'singer thing', and it's a crutch actually. Instead of hitting the "Wiiiiiiild" part off the bat, the 'cos' gives Mick the millisecond of sound he needs as a reference (pitch and rhythm-wise) for the same note.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home