Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 14, 2014 08:16

Max'sKansasCity
Green Lady
Here we go again ...
If only we could figure out a way to divert some that water to the areas along the U.S. west coast which is in the middle a dangerous drought right now.

Hope you are staying safe and above the flood lines GL.

Yes, the flooded area is three or four miles from here - but there's nowhere to go to avoid the wind. Looks like you have another shedload of snow over there to dig yourselves out of?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 14, 2014 08:22

Green Lady
Max'sKansasCity
Green Lady
Here we go again ...
If only we could figure out a way to divert some that water to the areas along the U.S. west coast which is in the middle a dangerous drought right now.

Yes, the flooded area is three or four miles from here - but there's nowhere to go to avoid the wind. Looks like you have another shedload of snow over there to dig yourselves out of?
It went to the to the East, this time, but more is predicted locally tomorrow... it sure has been a long cold winter.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 14, 2014 10:25

Max'sKansasCity
Green Lady
Max'sKansasCity
Green Lady
Here we go again ...

It went to the to the East, this time, but more is predicted locally tomorrow... it sure has been a long cold winter.

yes, max, west threatened w/drought & water rationing already....while my pals on east coast sending me pics w/a new foot of snow & more coming! eye popping smiley

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: February 14, 2014 11:55

Luckily no flooding but hasn't stopped raining for weeks here in the south of England angry smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 14, 2014 16:47

To give you an idea of just how unaccostomed some southern US cities are: Overnight Wednesday into Thursday (2/12-13) Knoxville, TN got 6 1/2 inches of snow. It was reported that this was the largest single snow-fall since 1996. Thankfully I was out of town for that one although I do remember when we got 14"+ in 1993. If I'm not mistaken, those are the only three times we've gotten 6"+ since I moved here in 1987.

Note: Yesterday was fun... Temperatures went up quickly so we didn't have to stay bundled up to stay warm. We went sledding with our neighbors kids, built a 7'3" Snowman in the front yard, and had a blast watching our German Sheppard play in what will most likely be the most snow he ever sees in his lifetime. A good day... Once every 18 years is about often enough for me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 14, 2014 17:12

You're right mr_dja, snow can be fun. Big snows used to be stressful because there was so much work to do to clear it all, but now that I have a big, strong teenager I get to supervise. Watching him from inside the house, I can't believe I used to wield that heavy snow blower myself. We had about two feet of the lovely stuff in front of our driveway.

This gentlemen is in a friends yard, he kinda reminds me of Mick in his glam phase. smiling smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 14, 2014 17:50

latebloomer -> I remember those two-footers in the suburbs of Boston when I was growing up... Dad normally ran the blower while I was in charge of breaking up the disaster the snowplow left for us at the end of the driveway with the shovel. Don't really want to think of all the times that the "throw" of the blower ended up pointing in my direction... Accidently of course, according to Dad!

Although I never got the joy of sending my son out to take care of a snowy driveway, I must say it was nice to have him mow the lawn on 90+ degree days for a while. Since it's not as bad as snow removal, I actually took that chore back a couple of summers ago when I realized it was actually my favorite chore... I get exercize (which I need) and it is the ONLY two hour period of my life where NO ONE ever inturrupts me. Sad that it takes getting behind a lawnmower to have it happen, but, I've learned at my house, there is apparently nothing I do which my wife and kids will leave me alone for EXCEPT mowing the lawn. C'mon springtime! I need an excuse to escape!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 14, 2014 18:21

Don't really want to think of all the times that the "throw" of the blower ended up pointing in my direction...

That is the worst...hair soaking wet, blinded by freezing spray, panting and peeling off layers by the hour. I'd lose about five pounds, come inside and eat like a horse, then I wouldn't move for the rest of the day. Like you, the best thing about it for me is the alone time. Used to feed the kids cereal for dinner so I could go outside at night when it is cooler to mow the grass and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Peace, indeed. smileys with beer

Date: February 14, 2014 22:51

Date: February 16, 2014 16:23

Image of the day from NASA Earth Observatory:

Extratropical Cyclone over the United Kingdom
The latest in a series of strong storms added to flooding woes.

[earthobservatory.nasa.gov]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 16, 2014 18:25

Sssssh!! The sun is shining, it isn't wild or wet or windy.... Seems like years since we had a decent day.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 16, 2014 21:59

Marienville, Pa. About 2-2.5hr drive north of Pittsburgh. What our camp looked like late yesterday.

Our only neighbor has horses and they seemed to love it!

Date: February 19, 2014 13:03

Its not our imagination [www.bbc.co.uk]

Wavier jet stream 'may drive weather shift'
15 February 2014 Last updated at 14:32 ET

The main system that helps determine the weather over Northern Europe and North America may be changing, research suggests.

The study shows that the so-called jet stream has increasingly taken a longer, meandering path.

Date: February 26, 2014 01:01

I am getting really tired of being tired of this seemingly forever freezing weather.

polar votex schmolar votex... come on spring!!!!

Date: February 26, 2014 01:19

After a lovely warm weekend, it's cold here again too, just the last gasp of winter...the springtime takes the long way around.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 26, 2014 01:26

Funny how, with all the record breaking cold weather lately, Global Warming has suddenly become "Climate Change"...silly humans think they know it all.

Date: February 26, 2014 18:14

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 1, 2014 06:16

After living in the tropics, this is my first full winter in a long time. Now living in Michigan, and tonight in Saginaw 2 more inches of snow, then another 2 to 3 tomorrow. This morning it was -8 F (-22 C). And is projected to be this way next week as well.

Date: March 1, 2014 06:32

It is like those snakes on that plane!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-01 10:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 1, 2014 14:58

Just got back from South Africa 25-30o C doesn't feel good if you come back to your own country with 5oC Brrrr

Date: March 1, 2014 15:03

The Ice Storm Cometh.

[www.nbcnews.com]

Date: March 1, 2014 17:04

Sleet... what a word.

What is the difference between sleet and freezing rain?
If only there wasa a place I could look that up....

""The Difference Between Hail, Sleet, and Freezing Rain

Many times I hear people say during a winter storm that it is hailing. This is actually called sleet.

Hail normally occurs in thunderstorms and is the result of strong updrafts that repeatedly carry growing chunks of ice upwards into the clouds. Once the hail stones become too heavy to be lifted by the updrafts, they fall to the ground. Hail stones are normally much larger than sleet pellets and they can cause damage to crops, windshields, people, etc.

Sleet occurs during a winter storm and is caused by rain falling into a cold layer of air aloft which has to be below freezing. As the raindrops fall through the cold layer of air, they freeze and become small ice pellets. When they hit your car windshield or your windows at home, they can make quite a racket. Sleet can accumulate on the roads and sidewalks making driving and walking quite hazardous.

Freezing rain is basically rain that falls onto the ground and then freezes AFTER it hits the ground. It causes a glaze of ice on trees and any surface that is below freezing. Freezing rain causes the most hazardous of driving and walking conditions. Freezing rain is what causes the power outages as a result of the ice that forms on the trees and power lines making them so heavy that they come down. A temperature inversion causes the conditions that result in freezing rain. This means that it is warmer aloft than it is at the surface.""

Thats what Dave says anyway.

Date: March 3, 2014 22:47

DC residents having some fun in the snow. The Dupont Circle snow ball fight gets bigger every year.

...tweeted photos of someone dressed in a Bigfoot costume wandering through Dupont Circle.... just around the time of the planned Dupont Circle Snowball Fight, which was moved to the National Mall due to icy conditions in the circle.

[www.myfoxdc.com]

Date: March 5, 2014 17:11

Some pictures of a frozen Niagara Falls.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 5, 2014 21:07

latebloomer
DC residents having some fun in the snow. The Dupont Circle snow ball fight gets bigger every year.

...tweeted photos of someone dressed in a Bigfoot costume wandering through Dupont Circle.... just around the time of the planned Dupont Circle Snowball Fight, which was moved to the National Mall due to icy conditions in the circle.

[www.myfoxdc.com]

Did Grrregory break free?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 5, 2014 22:20

Getting some on and off moderate rains here, hopefully putting a dent in the drought.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 6, 2014 01:33

whitem8
After living in the tropics, this is my first full winter in a long time. Now living in Michigan, and tonight in Saginaw 2 more inches of snow, then another 2 to 3 tomorrow. This morning it was -8 F (-22 C). And is projected to be this way next week as well.

How awful! What made you move to Michigan away from the warmth?

Date: March 17, 2014 14:21

Close to 70 degrees on Saturday, this today. Winter is that obnoxious party guest who doesn't know when to leave.

Date: March 17, 2014 14:25

Crazy and a PITA. Our snow is gone, except at the bottom of some driveways where it was shoveled into piles.

Clear skys and a high of 46F, in Pittsburgh.

Date: March 17, 2014 15:17

MingSubu
Crazy and a PITA. Our snow is gone, except at the bottom of some driveways where it was shoveled into piles.

Clear skys and a high of 46F, in Pittsburgh.

Glad it missed you Ming, this one kept to a narrow path, with DC and Baltimore right in the middle.
So here we go again, and I just put the boots and shovels away. Good thing there's still plenty of wine in the house. drinking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home