Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 10, 2014 21:38

Just a few miles down the road from me - and it's still rising, and still raining.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 10, 2014 22:36

That's looks really bad Green Lady I saw it on the news the other day.......if we must believe the weather for cast it won't be better the coming day's ..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 10, 2014 23:18

Wow, there were floods everywhere when I was there at Christmas--the ground must be totally saturated by now. confused smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2014 23:59

ROCKMAN

Date: February 11, 2014 00:22

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 11, 2014 03:23

I am starting to feel the same way about this cold weather as Samuel L. Jackson felt about those snakes on that plane! And I mean Samuel L. Jackson, not Larry Fishburne.

A freeking solid week now with the temperatures staying below freezing, along with 15 inches of snow and more of the same predicted coming up. If I wanted to live in a place with weather like this, I would move to that place, but this aint that place!!

Date: February 11, 2014 08:58

Aquamarine
Wow, there were floods everywhere when I was there at Christmas--the ground must be totally saturated by now. confused smiley

Yes - another 70mm forecast in the next couple of days. That may not sound much, but there's nowhere for it to go - ground soaked, rivers overflowing, Scotland and the north will be getting it as snow on top of the load they have already, and everyone gets to enjoy another bout of storms and gales.

So: Australia's burning up, California's parched, much of the USA is freezing and the south of the UK looks like sinking without trace. Is anyone out there having NICE weather?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 11, 2014 09:06

Springtime in Stockholm!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 11, 2014 13:20

British Politicians Blame One Another for Regional Flooding

Floodwaters surround a village in Somerset, England. Thousands of acres around Somerset have been under water for weeks, and flood levels are still rising. Matt Cardy/Getty Images

LONDON — As flood warnings move down the River Thames, and closer to the capital, the political tide is rising, too.

Severe-flood alerts, meaning there is real danger to life, are in place for stretches of the Thames that are within 17 miles of London. The marines have been called in, and vulnerable homes were still being evacuated on Monday.

Disaster stories abound: A 7-year-old boy died over the weekend after falling ill in a flooded home in nearby Surrey, a kayaker drowned on a swollen Welsh river, a coastal railroad was ripped up by waves in Cornwall, and scores of additional homes were flooded across the hard-hit Somerset Levels, a coastal plain and wetlands area in southwest England. Around 5,000 houses in Britain have been damaged since December in what has most likely been the rainiest season in at least 248 years.

But the tempest of charges and countercharges about who is to blame for Britain’s lack of preparedness for the crisis has been almost as fierce as the rainstorms battering the country again this week.

Eric Pickles, the secretary of state for communities and local government, who is leading Prime Minister David Cameron’s emergency response, put the blame squarely on the Environment Agency, accusing it of giving the government poor advice on flood management.

“We thought we were dealing with experts,” Mr. Pickles said Sunday. He stopped short of calling for the resignation of the agency’s chairman, Chris Smith of the Labour Party — but only just. “I don’t see myself becoming an advocate of the ‘Save Chris Smith’ campaign,” he said.

Clearly unable to resist a water metaphor, the Conservative lawmaker Ian Liddell-Grainger was less polite, calling Mr. Smith a “little git” and threatening to “stick his head down the loo and flush.”

Mr. Smith hit back on Monday, saying that his staff knew “100 times more” than politicians and that he was “not going to take any lessons” on flood management from Mr. Pickles. Instead, Mr. Smith blamed austerity and accused the government of starving his agency of the necessary funds to pay for decent flood defenses and measures, like river dredging.

Even Mr. Cameron, who has urged for a stop to the infighting and refused to be drawn into the debate over the Environment Agency during a visit of flood-hit Dorset on Monday, has blamed the Labour Party for abandoning dredging in the late 1990s.

As those in charge were busy pointing fingers, the leader of the populist U.K. Independence Party, Nigel Farage, toured a submerged village in waders, calling for overseas aid to be redirected to Somerset.

Mr. Farage did not, however, blame the government’s policy on same-sex marriage for the floods, as one of his party’s representatives did three weeks ago. That politician, David Silvester, who has since been suspended, had said that the floods were Mr. Cameron’s fault because by legalizing same-sex marriage he had brought the wrath of God onto his country.

Others thought it more likely that climate change was a culprit for the exceptional weather. Julia Slingo, chief scientist of the Met Office, Britain’s national weather service, said all the evidence pointed to a link.

For the 8.2 million people living in London, what was once a somewhat distant news event has certainly become uncomfortably close. Residents briefly got a taste of some of the disruption other areas have been living with for more than a month when the M25, the ring road running around greater London, was flooded on Friday. Three of its four lanes running in one direction were temporarily closed.

The Thames Barrier — one of the world’s strongest flood defense installations, designed to protect London from a surge in the North Sea — was shut on Sunday at high tide and was expected to close again to protect properties along the river.

West of London, sections of the Thames have already flooded. Zane Gbangbola, 7, died after his family’s home was flooded in the town of Chertsey, news reports said. It had not been established whether carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator pumping floodwaters from the home was to blame, the reports said. But a waterborne disease was apparently ruled out after a sample from the family’s basement had been analyzed.

Thousands of other homes in the Thames valley are under threat from rising waters in the coming days, Mr. Pickles warned on Monday. As residents braced for winds expected to reach 80 miles per hour and an additional 1.6 inches of rain by Thursday, he signaled a possible cease-fire in the partisan sniping.

Challenged in a special session in Parliament on Monday, Mr. Pickles said it was time to end the “pathetic game of who is to blame.”

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 11, 2014 17:33

Come On
Springtime in Stockholm!

This is a gorgeous photo!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 11, 2014 19:32

Greenhouse effect or not, something is happening to the climate. Flooding in England, storms in North America, drought in Australia, spring in February in Stockholm. Something is changing...

Date: February 11, 2014 21:37

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 11, 2014 23:05

Bellajane
Come On
Springtime in Stockholm!

This is a gorgeous photo!

Is the Grand Hotel still around serving that fabulous buffet brunch?

Date: February 11, 2014 23:23

THE AGE ------- 12 Feb 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: February 13, 2014 03:36

Big snow starting here, expecting 2 to 3 inches per hour after midnight, maybe a foot and a half of snow before it stops late tomorrow night.

Shovel at the ready, food and wine in the fridge.

Date: February 13, 2014 04:34

latebloomer
Big snow starting here, expecting 2 to 3 inches per hour after midnight, maybe a foot and a half of snow before it stops late tomorrow night.
[/URL]

YUK!!

Stay warm... pay some kids to do the shoveling... and you enjoy that wine.

Date: February 13, 2014 04:39

Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
[/URL]

YUK!!

I've got a big kid of my own, just got him some new snow boots today, so he has no excuses. The first challenge will be making a path for my basset hound to get outside. smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2014 04:45

latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
[/URL]

YUK!!

I've got a big kid of my own, just got him some new snow boots today, so he has no excuses. The first challenge will be making a path for my basset hound to get outside. smiling smiley
Or just open the door...

Date: February 13, 2014 04:51

There is a actually a scary number of videos for "dog disappears into snow" [www.google.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 13, 2014 04:53

Today in Raleigh, NC:

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 13, 2014 08:28

Whoa!! eye popping smiley

The South's just not used to this weather, which means people aren't used to driving in it, which doesn't help.

Here we had a big ice storm last night, everything white when I got up. No internet last night, no TV tonight, but (touch wood) I've been so lucky that the power's still on. I spent most of the afternoon, don't laugh, pouring 20 buckets of warm water over my palm tree to get all the ice off, because the poor thing looked like this

and I wanted it to feel better.

Date: February 13, 2014 10:16

Your ice storm was on our news - looks absolutely appalling. Hope everyone is OK over there.

Lots of power cuts here too after more storms and gales yesterday - mostly in Wales and the North this time, but plenty more rain in London and more to come. Floodwater still rising. I used to think I'd like one of those charming riverside bungalows with a boat at the bottom of the garden, but not any more!

Date: February 13, 2014 16:55

Snow falls in front of the U.S. Capitol building on Feb. 13, 2014. (Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Date: February 14, 2014 00:13

THE AUSTRALIAN ------------------- 14 Feb 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: February 14, 2014 00:25

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 14, 2014 01:20

Looking at Koen's picture I wonder: Do you shift to winter tires in northern USA and Canada? Here in Sweden it's a law.

Date: February 14, 2014 01:45

Stoneage
Looking at Koen's picture I wonder: Do you shift to winter tires in northern USA and Canada? Here in Sweden it's a law.

No, snow tires are not mandatory for the US, Stoneage. Koen's picture is from North Carolina, a southern state that usually sees very little snow or ice storms. That's why it's causing such havoc in the Southern US. Those states don't have much in the way of snow removal trucks and the like.

Got About fifteen inches of snow where I live and now it's coming down again. The weather guys, who always like to be cute, are calling it Storm Snochi after the Olympics.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 14, 2014 05:00

Snow tires are mandatory in Quebec, but I don't think anywhere else in Canada. I've been using them for the past few years, and when I think of all the times before that when I drove to Ottawa or Montreal in winter, I'm amazed I'm still alive. Having AWD and winter tires makes a lot of difference.

We are supposed to have temperatures near freezing soon. The suckage has been massive this winter, really cold temperatures, lots of snow, ice and crud. If I could hibernate until it's over, I'd do it.

Date: February 14, 2014 07:12

Here we go again ...

Date: February 14, 2014 07:48

Green Lady
Here we go again ...
If only we could figure out a way to divert some that water to the areas along the U.S. west coast which is in the middle a dangerous drought right now.

Hope you are staying safe and above the flood lines GL.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2027
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home