Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 24, 2020 18:25

As usual, most of July was quiet in the tropics. People wigging out thinking hurricane season was over because of the Saharan Air Layer, like that has ever stopped storms from forming ever.

Gonzalo in the Atlantic and Hanna in the GOM with a bigger one to pop behind Gonzalo.

Hanna is also the earliest 8th named storm on record. The previous earliest H named storm was Harvey in early August, 2005.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2020 02:23

Drumcondra 6.56am ------ 25 July 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 25, 2020 06:15

Rockman
.....oooooowww dat water looks c..c..c...cold Annie ...

How can someone living cheek by jowl with a million deadly critters be such a wussy-pants? grinning smiley

Date: July 25, 2020 06:22

..... Me go commando but cold water makes me shiver ....

Red-backs are docile ....
snakes will avoid you if they can .... But crocs will gobble ya

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 25, 2020 15:28

There are Crocs in Drumcronda Bay? Maybe get a pic of them with eyes above water?

How did they get to Australia from Africa? Were they explorers?

By the way - Crocs are more vicious than Alligators. I'm not saying ya would want to hang around an Alligator -they will turn you as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-25 15:49 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 25, 2020 16:12

I thought it was just the Salties that would bite your bum.

Date: July 26, 2020 09:39

Hurricane Hanna made it to 90 mph sustained winds.

August-October will be fun.

Date: July 26, 2020 11:59

SomeTorontoGirl
I thought it was just the Salties that would bite your bum.

It is advised not to comingle with gators. Even Golfers have found them to be very argumentative. Also, sometimes they invade personal property. In some cases Gators for unknown reasons like to hang out under cars. Best to call animal Control. No point in buying a new transmission.

Date: July 27, 2020 03:26

I'd link the map image but it's one of those that changes...

It's 78-80 F along the northern Gulf Coast and at the same time - this is not exactly common - it's in the upper 80s and lower 90s in the northeast from Illinois and Michigan to Maryland and New York. Dew point temps are equal in some places and slightly lower elsewhere, low 70s and 60s.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 27, 2020 07:41

There is a HUGE difference between your run of the mill croc or alligator and a salt water crocodile of the variety found Queensland particularly. Those things will come out of the water after you and will not relent, chase you down, haul you into the lagoon or other water body from whence they came, hide you under a log for a month or two so you tenderize just right, and then finally have you for dinner. And not just to one or two people every few years, with regularity. Ask Rockman about that business, you ain't fooling around with salt water crocs!

Meanwhile its 96F or so around here with cool nights into the low 60s and rarely a cloud in sight. Typical mid-summer California weather. By the way, for those who have not been here, about 50 miles west, once you cross over a little range of mountains, its probably a high of 65F today and most days. As Mark Twain once said: the coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco.

jb

Date: July 28, 2020 18:36

jbwelda
There is a HUGE difference between your run of the mill croc or alligator and a salt water crocodile of the variety found Queensland particularly. Those things will come out of the water after you and will not relent, chase you down, haul you into the lagoon or other water body from whence they came, hide you under a log for a month or two so you tenderize just right, and then finally have you for dinner. And not just to one or two people every few years, with regularity. Ask Rockman about that business, you ain't fooling around with salt water crocs!

Meanwhile its 96F or so around here with cool nights into the low 60s and rarely a cloud in sight. Typical mid-summer California weather. By the way, for those who have not been here, about 50 miles west, once you cross over a little range of mountains, its probably a high of 65F today and most days. As Mark Twain once said: the coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco.

jb

There are (salt-water) crocs in the Florida Keys and the Caribbean.

92L was designated to a PTC today, could be a tropical depression before it crosses Barbados and if it stays low, it could be a tropical storm with a name no one will ever say right.

Date: July 28, 2020 19:14

I would like to see some confirmation there are salt water crocodiles in Florida or the Caribbean. I have never heard of any. And certainly not the variety that live in Australia and the areas around there. Caymans, yes but thats not at all a crocodile much less a salt water croc that will come out of the water to kill and eat a ton of water buffalo.

But I could be wrong.

jb

Date: July 30, 2020 01:07

jbwelda
I would like to see some confirmation there are salt water crocodiles in Florida or the Caribbean. I have never heard of any. And certainly not the variety that live in Australia and the areas around there. Caymans, yes but thats not at all a crocodile much less a salt water croc that will come out of the water to kill and eat a ton of water buffalo.

But I could be wrong.

jb

Many books have talked about it.

Date: July 30, 2020 01:13

jbwelda

But I could be wrong.

jb

Crocodiles are crocodiles. Crocodiles are salt and freshwater. Caimans are a crocodile but are physically closer to an alligator, which... is in the crocodillian family.

Where I live I see alligators. Caimans could live here since they prefer fresh and brackish water just like an alligator but to my knowledge there aren't any here.

Date: July 30, 2020 01:29

Crocs co-exist with alligators in the Everglades.

[myfwc.com]

Date: July 30, 2020 03:07

Salt Water Crocodiles are a specific species or group of species, not a generic description of where they live or the level of salinity they can tolerate.

Here in the delta there are no alligators nor crocodiles, but the crayfish will get you a good one if it gets hold of your toe.

jb

Date: July 30, 2020 09:15

jbwelda
Salt Water Crocodiles are a specific species or group of species, not a generic description of where they live or the level of salinity they can tolerate.

Here in the delta there are no alligators nor crocodiles, but the crayfish will get you a good one if it gets hold of your toe.

jb

The "salt water" croc is just the Australian salt water crocodile. It's in the Crocodylus family. Yes it's a species - they are all their own (specific is redundant in this case) species.

Date: July 30, 2020 09:33

To simplify why PTC 9 wasn't a tropical storm - if anyone is wondering - it didn't have a closed circulation, which is required for a designation (it's more than that but that's one of the key ingredients for these tropical cyclones to exist). It does now and is now Tropical Storm Isaias and is forecast to remain a TS.

Had it stayed a elongated tropical wave ie no high clouds it would've very likely gone south of Hispaniola and would've very likely moved into the Gulf Of Mexico through the Yucatan Strait and possibly developed into a TS or hurricane and hit the eastern panhandle near the big bend or possibly as far south as Tampa/Sarasota. The reason it didn't (and won't) and is moving more NW towards the Bahamas is because of one thing - its cloud tops got tall enough to be influenced by the mid and upper level steering winds.

That's a big reason why the forecast for Dorian was blown - there wasn't enough knowledge about the mid and upper level winds - they knew they were there, which is why Dorian wasn't predicted to explode. A lot of the hurricane people were a bit mystified. I kept thinking it would blow up but nothing like it did. There's also a tropical jet stream that flows out of the GOM through the Florida Straits and up through the Bahamas that was thought to keep Dorian away but hurricanes have a tendency to corral their own winds to "punch through" those kind of jet streams and cut them in half, which creates a corridor for the hurricane to develop strength - and they get some spin influence because of it.

One of their biggest enemies is a ridge, which is what stopped Dorian for just over 24 hours and kept it from hitting Florida (as some people know, it was the second named storm to change a show date for the Stones' 2019 NO FILTER tour. Why bands do stadium tours in the southern US-Gulf and Atlantic coasts during August and September I will never understand).

That is not expected to happen with Isaias and is a big reason why it is forecast to stay a tropical storm.

Of course that could change but the path it's going to take will not be favorable for strong development. Historically storms that go over Hispaniola tend to move west into the GOM or northern Caribbean.

There are a bunch of waves going across Africa that will be much more interesting to watch in the next 2 weeks.

Don't watch The Home Depot Channel, just go here for tropical weather system information regarding the Atlantic Basin:

[spaghettimodels.com]

Date: July 30, 2020 17:54

I bought Hurricane Shutters - I guess my learning of closing and locking them will happen on Saturday as TS Isais travels directly to my home at this point.

Date: July 30, 2020 20:39

Looking like Isaias is weakening and the center is about to jump to the Atlantic. Track staying off Florida now.

Date: July 30, 2020 21:33

Sad part it is only July.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 30, 2020 21:46

Chris Fountain
Hurricane Shutters

Band name alert!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 22:39

Koen
Chris Fountain
Hurricane Shutters

Band name alert!

Wouldn't it be a nice title for the upcoming Stones album?

Date: July 31, 2020 00:12

Drumcondra -- 3c -- 6.54am .... 31 July 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: July 31, 2020 01:30

Continues to be a beautiful shot.

Can we see some crocs in the water?

jb

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 31, 2020 02:19

georgie48
Koen
Chris Fountain
Hurricane Shutters

Band name alert!

Wouldn't it be a nice title for the upcoming Stones album?

What album?

Date: July 31, 2020 04:39

Isaias getting it together and will be a hurricane by tomorrow and scrape the Southeast all the way up to New England as a tropical storm by then - at this time.

Date: July 31, 2020 06:37

We'll start preparing tomorrow. I'm not taking this hurricane lightly.

Date: July 31, 2020 18:20

Things are shaping up for Isaias but also for Florida - as of now the track will be completely east with the strongest part of the storm over the Bahamas. It's currently experiencing up to 30 knots of SW wind shear so it might take a while to get up to a category 2... if it does.

SE FL now under a hurricane watch. Storm is starting to get it together better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-31 19:36 by GasLightStreet.

Date: July 31, 2020 20:58

Thanks Gas Light Street - I bought some accordian shudders 6 months ago. Learning curve to shut - is minimal.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home