Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2020 03:52

Here ya go Chris ....

Tugs isolating .... Drumcondra 26 April 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 26, 2020 04:03

Give them the Beer Sign, replenish, and send them back out! Also this pic exposes the other bay side - BEST PIC THUS FAR and the reflection at low - get out of here!!! Different angle - pic was taken closer to tree!smileys with beer

Date: April 26, 2020 04:28

Drumcondra 6.45am --- 26 April 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: April 26, 2020 04:37

^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 04:44 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2020 07:24

Chris Fountain
These are the laziest ass sea gulls ever seen! especially the last in line- I don't think he's into it.

Fist true heatwave of the year...around 80 F at the beach...the seagulls were all basking in the good vibes of a beautiful SoCal day at an uncrowded beach.
Here's another staring me down wondering what the hell I'm doing on his beach....smiling smiley...oh man, it was an amazing day and tomorrow should be the same ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-26 07:25 by Hairball.

Date: April 26, 2020 13:13

Hopefully - the beaches open here in Stuart Florida on April 30 smiling smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 26, 2020 23:15

One nice day and now frickin rain. Lousy weather sucks

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 28, 2020 14:08

Rain today at last after a dry April. The garden will be grateful.

Date: April 28, 2020 14:47

Green Lady

What 's in the Garden? Field Peas? Corn? Cucumbers? Snap Beans? Black-eyed Peas? Watermelon? Yum!!

Date: April 28, 2020 15:16

Chris Fountain
Green Lady

What 's in the Garden? Field Peas? Corn? Cucumbers? Snap Beans? Black-eyed Peas? Watermelon? Yum!!

It's not that big and mostly ornamental/ wildlife, but there are tomatoes and potatoes. Watermelons? I wish...

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: April 29, 2020 01:05

Under the rain, finally finish.
The new Genova Bridge , after the disaster of 14/08/2018
Sici

Date: May 2, 2020 08:00

Drumcondra 6.41am -- 2 May 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: May 3, 2020 18:46

How cold is the water or what is the temp? the Tug boat is stuck and I'm goin to pull her in!

Date: May 6, 2020 01:39

Drumcondra 6.39am -- 6 May 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: May 6, 2020 13:58

Told ya I was goin to pull her in!!!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 10, 2020 02:31

West coast of Canada has hot sunny weather today while the east coast is getting snow!! My little town of Hope BC was tied with Squamish BC as the hot spot in Canada yesterday at 27.9 C.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 14, 2020 20:11

What will most likely emerge into the Atlantic Ocean proper is a low level spin south of Key West, FLA, today, predicted to develop into something over the Bahamas soon - but nothing major.

[twitter.com]

Date: May 15, 2020 00:50

GasLightStreet
What will most likely emerge into the Atlantic Ocean proper is a low level spin south of Key West, FLA, today, predicted to develop into something over the Bahamas soon - but nothing major.

[twitter.com]

Yep - purchased permanent hurricane shutters this year. Can't handle ladders or metal anymore especially when it is 95 degrees and 95 % humidity -similar to the bayou.

Date: May 15, 2020 20:11

Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet

[twitter.com]

Yep - purchased permanent hurricane shutters this year. Can't handle ladders or metal anymore especially when it is 95 degrees and 95 % humidity -similar to the bayou.

I gave up on plywood. It's pointless, really. My house isn't very old, built in the late 1920s to early 1930s, and the glass in a majority of the windows is still the original glass - single pane hand blown glass with smears and bubbles.

The ones that aren't I or someone have broken from cleaning them or leaning against it - they're very brittle.

So I'm just gonna let em get smashed if we ever get a good enough direct hit.

Date: May 19, 2020 19:20

As of today sustained winds of 138mph with gusts up to 165mph and waves of 50 feet. That's a pretty good tropical cyclone - and where it's heading will make it even worse.

Date: May 19, 2020 19:37

With Amphan's forward direction plus sustained wind and it's wave build up they could see a storm surge of 40 to 50 feet. That's not out of the ordinary for that part of the world.

Hurricane Katrina, in Waveland, MS, had a storm surge of 41.5 feet just east of the eye (landfall was just west of Lakeshore, MS in Heron Bay), the highest ever in North America. The northern Gulf Of Mexico coast has a similar set up to the Bangladesh region of the Bay Of Bengal... although much shorter and not as wide open for storms to keep their intensity and build the surge up, which they can do but generally don't. Katrina could've been much worse if she was a category 4 at landfall, and a 5 would've been complete destruction of everything.

Date: May 20, 2020 04:29

Drumcondra -- 6.49 am -- 20 May 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: May 20, 2020 20:30

Typhoon Amphan is, supposedly, the strongest typhoon to make landfall in the Bay Of Bengal in Kolkata. Not sure how that's being measured so far (sustained winds at landfall about 105mph, gusts up to 115 mph make it the strongest?) but for now that's how it's being labelled.

Storm surge of 16 feet supposedly.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:49

43C or 110F here in Saigon at the moment. Hittin' the pool in an hour or so smileys with beer

Date: May 23, 2020 05:32

GasLightStreet
Typhoon Amphan is, supposedly, the strongest typhoon to make landfall in the Bay Of Bengal in Kolkata. Not sure how that's being measured so far (sustained winds at landfall about 105mph, gusts up to 115 mph make it the strongest?) but for now that's how it's being labelled.

Looks pretty bad - not much in the news here as everybody is too busy worrying about the Virus.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 23, 2020 19:43

GasLightStreet

It's in line with earlier predictions that typhoons/hurricanes will further increase in power in the upcoming years. I already feel sorry for the Pacific region looking back at the most recent typhoons.
I wonder what the influence of the "corona-clear air" will have on those weather monsters?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 27, 2020 17:23

Pre-monsoon heat soars across northern India

Anyone her in this forum from India?

Date: May 27, 2020 18:01

MAF
Pre-monsoon heat soars across northern India

Anyone her in this forum from India?

I'm not. But I will share something I learned while I was in India.

I went to India for 2 weeks in 2014. Started out in Chenai. During the day it was 105° or so everywhere we went on the SE part of India (temperature is measured in the shade - in the sun when it's in the 90s it can be anywhere from 110° to 140°), breezy and quite dry. It only would rain at night a little bit.

We went to Kochi and down to Kerala then up to Goa, where it was a little cooler and more humid, breezy and it rained throughout the day (felt like the Gulf Coast in May, which is rather cool yet comfortably warm).

I learned what "monsoon" really means. While there I did some research on the weather and found out that it doesn't mean rain. In fact, it never means rain. It only means one thing:

Wind season.

There are two kinds of monsoons - a dry monsoon and a wet monsoon. What I learned in India is that southern India has one or the other.

The Indians that were our guides looked at each other quick quizzically when one of the people I was with asked, "How long does monsoon season last"? Not too long after that someone else said "Let's go out in the monsoon!"

I've read about monsoons in weather books; they'll explain what it is and a paragraph later use it completely out of context and say "monsoon season" and "monsoonal rains".

Only in America can people take something so simple, like a meaning or an acronym, and make it more difficult, redundant and arrogant.

Date: May 27, 2020 18:21

georgie48
GasLightStreet

It's in line with earlier predictions that typhoons/hurricanes will further increase in power in the upcoming years. I already feel sorry for the Pacific region looking back at the most recent typhoons.
I wonder what the influence of the "corona-clear air" will have on those weather monsters?

Amphan didn't hit as a strong tropcial cyclone. The predictions weren't across the board 'more storms more stronger storms' but, specifically, that the tropical cyclones that get strong will likely be stronger than expected.

"Stronger" is left for interpretation. Would you call Hurricane Harvey a "stronger" storm? Well, it was a 4 before sitting over Houston. What about Hurricane Isaac? Hurricane Florence?

Considering the amount of rain Harvey and Florence had, yeah, they were stronger storms.

Of course there's the actual strong storms like Maria, Dorian, Irma...

Strong storms are on the increase but it's not quite like people probably thought it would be. 2016 had one category 5. 2017 was a very interesting season, with 2 category 5s but all the hurricanes formed in a row, the first time that's ever happened.

2018 had one category 5.

2019 had two category 5s.

That's not exactly... more stronger storms. But what they've been doing - Irma, Maria, Michael, Dorian - has been alarming, to say the least.

What used to be an odd occasion, like Camille or Andrew, has been happening a lot more often, starting with the flat out bizarre Hurricane Ivan in 2004.

Last year TS Olga formed just off the Louisiana coast - it was hardly noticed by even the local weather people - and caused more damage than "Hurricane" Barry. Olga woke me up. Where I live the wind was the strongest, which still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home