Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 8, 2019 15:39

GasLightStreet
Hairball
Wow...Dorian...

Hurricane Ike reached 4 sides of the GOM and had a storm tide all the way around the Gulf Coast and Bay Of Campeche.

So far Dorian is just another hurricane with 105 mph winds.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dorian become a 5 between the Bahamas and Florida.

And category 6 in Alabama

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 8, 2019 19:24

Spaghetti models are not forecasts. There were a bunch of models that brought Dorian to the Gulf Coast before Dorian was much of anything.

The cone in a forecast is a possibility of where it could go at the moment, which never included Alabama.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 8, 2019 21:34

Alabama sounds a lot like Bahama. smoking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 8, 2019 22:13

1 of the biggest lightning storms i've seen in seattle last night. over 200 strikes in seattle alone. the university of washington football gamed was stopped about 8 PM & didn't restart until 1030. ended at 130 AM!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 8, 2019 22:54

Koen
Alabama sounds a lot like Bahama. smoking smiley

Obama... whatever comes to his mind and it becomes reality smileys with beer

Date: September 8, 2019 23:14

crholmstrom
1 of the biggest lightning storms i've seen in seattle last night. over 200 strikes in seattle alone. the university of washington football gamed was stopped about 8 PM & didn't restart until 1030. ended at 130 AM!

In case you don't know, that amount of lightning (1250 or so total) is astoundingly rare for that part of the world.

Consider that lightning was happening within 300 miles of the north pole this summer, the gargantuan rainfall in the Mississippi/Missouri/Ohio river basin, Miami flooding often and Alaska being as warm as Louisiana (basically), Greenland is turning green and the Amazon is on fire, which has HUGE consequences for the atmosphere - how could anyone NOT think something has been changing? It's not just this year that a lot of unusual amounts of things has happened. Although Hurricane Harvey a couple years ago raised a loud yell, Harvey did what hurricanes do when they get to a place where there are no steering currents - it sat. It's happened before, just not over an area like that with that much rain.

I excluded Dorian because historically storms blow up to category 5 status often (the confusion, for some inane reason, in the US is landfalling category 5s vs at sea category 5s) and, well, as usual, the MDR is very warm.

I could not understand why the NHC wasn't clear about Dorian turning into a 5. That blows my mind. Something needs to change with that. People often say this mythical bullshit "if they overhype it no one will believe them".

How could they overhype a hurricane entering water temps in the upper 80s to stay a minimal hurricane? I knew from before it was a hurricane it was going to turn into a 5 - I thought right before Dorian would hit Florida. I was a little off, by about 70 miles or so. Early models brought it here to Louisiana and I was giggling at the aspect of replacing all of my windows and replacing my plaster walls with insulation and sheet rock (currently no insulation with the walls).

The Bahamian people are used to hurricanes... but Dorian was unprecedented. It's difficult to fathom how - and why - they would rebuild considering

1. it could very well happen again in about 10 days or so
2. it will happen again

I live close to the coast. My house (didn't live in it at the time) did not flood for Katrina but water came in the yard. The entire area I live in would be underwater by 25 feet or so for miles from a category 5 hitting from the S/SE. It's got me thinking of selling and moving up hill a bit (where it flooded a couple years back from rain so bad the area turned into a 20 foot deep lake - at about 20 some feet above sea level).

What's more likely to happen? Flooding rains to blast rivers into oceans or a monster hurricane to blow and flood me away?

Louisiana and Florida are in a very very bad position for the future with hurricanes. I've got some serious thinking to do. I love where I live, it's part of the deal with living here, but I'm not convinced I need to risk having what I have to live so close to the coast.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 8, 2019 23:36

GasLightStreet
Spaghetti models are not forecasts. There were a bunch of models that brought Dorian to the Gulf Coast before Dorian was much of anything.

The cone in a forecast is a possibility of where it could go at the moment, which never included Alabama.

Whoever said that that guy understands about spaghetti models or probability cones ... Let alone how to read a map.

Date: September 8, 2019 23:59

schillid
GasLightStreet

Whoever said that that guy understands about spaghetti models or probability cones ... Let alone how to read a map.

I don't know, I don't know.

Uh... ha ha!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 9, 2019 01:03

Drumcondra -- 6.28am -- 9 September 2019

ROCKMAN

Date: September 17, 2019 07:30

Drumcondra 6.23am -- 17 September 2019

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 24, 2019 00:23

Unseasonably warm for the first day of fall.

Date: September 24, 2019 00:24

….. hey annie ….. looks like its a nice day ahead …..

ROCKMAN

Date: September 24, 2019 00:35

Sun coming up behind old Alcoa plant
where Wayne once worked looks is a city on fire …. cool reflections on the water though …

Drumcondra -- 6.15am -- 24 September 2019

ROCKMAN

Date: September 24, 2019 01:44

Nice try Rockeeeee...I’m still ticked that you low-down types are sucking all our heat away. Happy Spring, you rat bastard! grinning smiley

Date: September 24, 2019 06:46

But But Annie that's not quite right because
two of my brothers were used in medical
discoveries linked to cardiovascular medicine,
neural regeneration, wound healing, diabetes,
transplantation, behavioural studies and space motion sickness research.........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 24, 2019 18:55

Been pouring with rain on and off all day here. My garden will be grateful, but I'm not.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 24, 2019 21:57

Waiting for fall here in Georgia. Still feeling like July .......hot smiley

Date: September 25, 2019 05:00

Ox Blood Skies …..

Drumcondra 6.02am ---- 25 September 2019

ROCKMAN

Date: October 30, 2019 23:17

Man fishing ……………………..

Drumcondra -- 6.05am 31 October 2019 ……………………………….

ROCKMAN

Date: October 31, 2019 19:37

In Louisiana (and a majority of the Gulf Coast) October started in the mid-90s and will end diving down into the 30s for the morning of November 1st. We just had a post-tropical storm cause more destruction than anything since Katrina.

Weird. Very weird.

Date: November 4, 2019 02:33

[Sigh] I already miss Daylight Saving Time.

Date: November 4, 2019 03:19

Annie …. get yaself an LED candle ….Brighter and cheaper to run ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 4, 2019 04:06

Yeah, it's pitch black when I leave for work in the morning and now it's pitch black when I drive home. I work two floors below ground level in a concrete bunker with a steel door. Life is interesting but at least I'm working.

Date: November 4, 2019 04:19

Rockman
Annie …. get yaself an LED candle ….Brighter and cheaper to run ….

Send our heat back, you low-down, sun hogging rat!

Date: November 4, 2019 04:21

Awwww well look at it this way bill .
Ya might get a spot in Jarmusch's next zombie flick

ROCKMAN

Date: November 4, 2019 04:49

Send our heat back, you low-down, sun hogging rat! …..

Cant do that babeeeee …. I'm getting a good tan ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 4, 2019 17:51

Rockman
Awwww well look at it this way bill .
Ya might get a spot in Jarmusch's next zombie flick

Only if he takes me fishing with John Lurie and Tom Waits.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 5, 2019 00:09

here in scotland were experts on weather, its all we talk about.

january and february 2019 seen some of the driest and sunniest weather ever for that time of year, although its cold during day and freezing at night its comfortable to live in. temps of a few degrees above ie 5degrees centigrade during day to around -3 degrees during the night.

that seemed to be our quota of sunshine cos weve had little since, its been a wet summer and autumn so far with unspectacular temperatures, although we did get some hot days with sunshine but not much, summer was a wash out and so is autumn.

west of scotland is also the windiest place in europe, and probably wetest.

were well used to it.

sometimes i wished i lived a bit further south.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 5, 2019 22:56

R-Man:

Cant do that babeeeee …. I'm getting a good tan ….

Hey, Olivia Newton J is still lookin good these days....Heard Xanadu on the radio and headed straight to the beach!

Date: November 5, 2019 23:02

sometimes i wished i lived a bit further south.

Okay buttons …. pack ya toothbrush
and move down here …. we could walk thru
the bush on a high temp day and find a tiger snake …..

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home