Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 7, 2018 00:38

Tug......Tanker ……..Jet vapour trail ………… Rising sun ….

Drumcondra 5.50am -- 7 December 2018

ROCKMAN

Date: December 10, 2018 21:59

Stingaree Bay 5.15am --- 11 December 2018

ROCKMAN

Date: December 12, 2018 00:57

Drumcondra 5.37am -- 12 December 2018

ROCKMAN

Date: December 13, 2018 07:13

As Dinah Washington said ….. What a difference a day makes...……

Drumcondra 5.55am -- 13 December 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 13, 2018 16:37

As Dinah Washington said ….. What a difference a day makes...……

Drumcondra 5.55am -- 13 December 2018

The far sky cloud formation looks like two mattresses having a pillow fight.

Date: December 17, 2018 06:01

Drumcondra 5.55am ---- 17 December 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2018 08:30

Surf was pumping today in Ventura - where California Street meets the sea just north of the pier.
photo: Richard Arthur Love.

Date: December 19, 2018 22:41

Drumcondra 5.40am ---- 20 December 2018

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 20, 2018 01:53

Surf was pumping today in Ventura - where California Street meets the sea just north of the pier.

Many Palm Trees are different in CA than Florida. Many folks don't know or care.

Date: December 20, 2018 05:49

Yet many are similar, and both states have quite a variety!

California Fan Palm as seen in my previous post:
The Washingtonia filifera or California fan palm (also referred to as the Arizona fan palm) is the only native palm to the United States, specifically the Southwest, and has been seen growing naturally in the wild as far east as Colorado and north to Wyoming. Fossils of the palm have been found dating back to almost 50-70 million years. The California fan palm cam live up to 80-90 years, grow up to 75 feet tall and has leaves shaped like a fan that fold like accordion. The leaves can reach about 6 feet long and wide.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 29, 2019 00:54

Wind chill -24’C! C’mon spring!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 29, 2019 06:25

Hairball

The Washingtonia filifera or California fan palm (also referred to as the Arizona fan palm) is the only native palm to the United States, specifically the Southwest...

Someone needs to learn about palms that are native to the United States.

Date: January 29, 2019 06:40

….. Hey Annie …. 35C = 95F …………. .

ROCKMAN

Date: January 29, 2019 07:00

GasLightStreet
Hairball

The Washingtonia filifera or California fan palm (also referred to as the Arizona fan palm) is the only native palm to the United States, specifically the Southwest...

Hmmm yeah, seems whoever wrote that made a booboo - I should have double checked before copying and pasting.

This might be more accurate, though I'm no palm expert:

US Palm Trees

For starters, consider those states that have native species of palm tree. For example, Texas not only has palm trees that are native, but has more indigenous species than Hawaii. You heard right: Texas has more native species of palm than Hawaii - which only has one as opposed to Texas’ three. California has one native species, which is the most commonly planted native palm tree in the United States, with specimens growing from Los Angeles to Houston to Miami. Florida has twelve native species, its most spectacular being the Florida Royal Palm, which is a cousin to the more famous non-native Royal Palm.

So one can find native palm trees in California, Arizona, (Nevada, but disputed) Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia.These states are where one will see the most palms in the outdoor landscape, even along the Virginia seacoast, especially Virginia Beach. Thousands upon thousands of palms are commonly seen in such cities as Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas, (here and there in Las Cruces, New Mexico) Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Miami, and all points between. The palms range from the hardiest Chinese Windmill Palm all the way to the Royal Palm and the Coconut Palm, with the latter growing from Los Angeles to Brownsville, Texas to Miami. At Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami, for instance, over a thousand species of palm are grown outdoors, and a similar garden in Southern California (Huntington Botanical Gardens) grow hundreds more.

Date: January 29, 2019 07:02

Give us our heat back Rockeeeee, you low down heat thief!

Date: January 29, 2019 07:43

Don't worry Babeeeeee ….

Tomorrow's 37C ----------- 98.6F

ROCKMAN

Date: January 30, 2019 03:00

See Annie .…. NO F'n SNOW here …….

ROCKMAN

Date: January 30, 2019 03:17

You can have mine, got a foot of the stuff.

Date: January 30, 2019 03:23

It's good down here if ya
enjoy sittin' at the computer
in the nude will sucking on icy-poles ……..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 30, 2019 15:45

Detroit Rock City yesterday morning Fahrenheit ^^^

Detroit Rock City this morning Fahrenheit...

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: January 30, 2019 15:50

It's a bit chilly here right now: -25F with a wind chill around -55F. Gues I'll have to put on long pants to shovel snow.

Date: January 30, 2019 16:01

roryg
It's a bit chilly here right now: -25F with a wind chill around -55F. Gues I'll have to put on long pants to shovel snow.

Jealous...
wind chill only -30F here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-30 16:02 by Kurt.

Date: January 30, 2019 16:15

-19C here with -32C wind chill. So cold the snow squeaks like styrofoam when you walk on it. Was on the streetcar the other day overhearing the phone call of a visitor from Texas. The poor guy didn’t even know the words to properly whine about the cold, he just kept saying C-c-c-cold! To his credit, he and his host were planning to BBQ dinner. As one does.

Date: January 31, 2019 15:57

-14F
-33F Wind Chill
She's So Cold...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 2, 2019 21:57

GasLightStreet

Hairball

Hmmm yeah, seems whoever wrote that made a booboo - I should have double checked before copying and pasting.

This might be more accurate, though I'm no palm expert:

US Palm Trees

For starters, consider those states that have native species of palm tree. For example, Texas not only has palm trees that are native, but has more indigenous species than Hawaii. You heard right: Texas has more native species of palm than Hawaii - which only has one as opposed to Texas’ three. California has one native species, which is the most commonly planted native palm tree in the United States, with specimens growing from Los Angeles to Houston to Miami. Florida has twelve native species, its most spectacular being the Florida Royal Palm, which is a cousin to the more famous non-native Royal Palm.

So one can find native palm trees in California, Arizona, (Nevada, but disputed) Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia.These states are where one will see the most palms in the outdoor landscape, even along the Virginia seacoast, especially Virginia Beach. Thousands upon thousands of palms are commonly seen in such cities as Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas, (here and there in Las Cruces, New Mexico) Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Miami, and all points between. The palms range from the hardiest Chinese Windmill Palm all the way to the Royal Palm and the Coconut Palm, with the latter growing from Los Angeles to Brownsville, Texas to Miami. At Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami, for instance, over a thousand species of palm are grown outdoors, and a similar garden in Southern California (Huntington Botanical Gardens) grow hundreds more.

The cold hardiest palm in the world is the Needle palm, cold hardy to -5F.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 21:59 by GasLightStreet.

Date: February 2, 2019 22:01

Cats and dogs...it's raining buckets of them in SoCal along with some wild winds.

Nothing at all really when compared to some of the extremes in other parts of the country, but....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 22:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 11, 2019 15:43

Snowing in Vegas... pretty unusual occurrence from what I hear..
Glad I missed it!!
[twitter.com]

Woke up to about 8 inches (insert thats what she said joke here) of it north of Seattle..

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 12, 2019 14:59

Snow in Maui

And surrounding islands.. First time ever, some experts are saying..

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 12, 2019 15:26

During the past four weeks I have been moving away four feet i.e. more than one meter of snow. Some times just an inch or two, other times loads and loads of snow. Then I go inside to warm up, after 1-2 hours of working the snow away. I hear the big tractor moving by in the street, and another splash of snow has been moved from the street into our own area. More snow to move.

Sunday nine days ago I was biking in heavy snow, then I hit a bump, the bike made a sudden stop. I was flying into the air. One week later I realize there are one or more broken ribs. Luckily the snowing is now at a break, I can't push much with broken ribs anyway.

One day I will move into a flat in an apartment, that is for sure. Snow is nice to look at, but there is simply too much snow at times.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 15:26 by bv.

Posted by: Shine A Light ()
Date: February 12, 2019 16:00

Bjornulf,glad you have time for your ribs to heal before the Tour starts. That is a ton of snow. My husband is from Alberta, Canada and he has seen his fare share of snow and frigid weather. I think that is why he loves living in Texas along the Gulf Coast. Stay warm and play it safe for awhile. Counting the days until the Tour starts in FLorida. See ya on tour

Karen & Bill

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home