Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 93
Re: OT: Weather around the world
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2017 19:34

Tropical Storm Amelia held the record for rainfall: 48 inches.

TS Harvey has eclipsed that in one place with 49.32": Mary's Creek near Houston.

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 29, 2017 23:34

HankM
Aquamarine
I'm sitting under that red line as it moves north--but nothing that happens here can be as bad as what's happening in Houston. It's beyond words. sad smiley

Sorry to hear it is coming for you Aqua. Be safe and get your galoshes and umbrella ready...

Hunkered down, thanks, Hank.smiling smiley Hoping for the best for everyone.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 30, 2017 00:01

Stevie Ray Vaughan statue in Austin, Texas

Couldn't Stand the Weather

Texas Flood

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 30, 2017 00:02

Massive electrical storms in Murcia ( Spain ) at the moment.

So severe one flash knocked the power off for around 10 seconds.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2017 08:49

Lone fisherman on jetty -- Drumcondra - 6.45am 30 August 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 30, 2017 12:50

Rockman

Lone fisherman on jetty -- Drumcondra - 6.45am 30 August 2017

Cool pic Rockeee, what kinda fish is he tryin to catch? Is it good eatin?

Date: August 30, 2017 12:54

Meanwhile that damned Harvey just keeps hanging around... 5 freekin days later!!
Hurricane TS Harvey August 30th 2017

Beyond words sad smiley

I am willing to bet no babies born in Houston will be named Harvey for a long long long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-30 16:05 by HankM.

Date: August 30, 2017 19:51

No one knows the record for the Upper 48 states (since apparently there are 96 states).

The storm has unloaded over 50 inches of rain east of Houston, the greatest amount ever recorded in the Lower 48 states from a single storm.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

51.88 inches.

The record outside the continental US is 52 inches during Hurricane Hiki in Hawaii.

The word record for a multi-day rain even is La Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean with 150 inches in 3 days.

Date: September 1, 2017 01:12

Drumcondra -- 6.45am - 01 September 2017 ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 1, 2017 16:56

Very Hot in the SF bay area. Could Hit 100 in the city, around 116 Inland! Also a lot of thick smoke in the air from wild fires in the area. Really strange weather. I've never seen this combination of the heat and smoke.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-01 17:03 by ryanpow.

Date: September 2, 2017 04:15

We've had cool and foggy weather ALL summer long, and then today we get the hottest day ever on record in San Francisco..106 degrees.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-02 04:24 by ryanpow.

Date: September 2, 2017 04:25

ryanpow
Today was the hottest day ever on record in San Francisco...106 degrees.

eye popping smiley

Scorching down here in SoCal also - 90 degrees at the beach where I live in Ventura County, and as high as 115+ further inland.
50 miles south of me, Downtown L.A. hit 103 today!

Date: September 2, 2017 04:27

Sounds just like what we're getting. The smoke is still pretty bad. Making for a nice sunset though.

Date: September 2, 2017 10:15

ryanpow
Sounds just like what we're getting. The smoke is still pretty bad. Making for a nice sunset though.

Massive fire down in the L.A. area started earlier today -specifically Burbank area - now out of control.
Smoke billowing around the L.A.basin and soot settling miles away. Mandatory evacuations in several areas near Burbank.

Power outages, massive fires, scorching heatwaves...all we need now is an earthquake (knock on wood).

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 2, 2017 12:37

ryanpow
Very Hot in the SF bay area. Could Hit 100 in the city, around 116 Inland! Also a lot of thick smoke in the air from wild fires in the area. Really strange weather. I've never seen this combination of the heat and smoke.

Labor Day traffic, tempature 111 degrees, orange-y thick, dirty fire air.
Sacramento flat land area.
Grateful for my little home w/ food in the pantry.
Stay safe. Stay thirsty my friends drinking smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 2, 2017 12:41

odean73
Massive electrical storms in Murcia ( Spain ) at the moment.

So severe one flash knocked the power off for around 10 seconds.

Unusual weather in the Murcia region still, had heavy rain and now very windy and very dull.
Not seen it like this in coming 11 years to this region for late August early September.

Date: September 3, 2017 01:51

Fire explodes to 8,000 acres, largest such blaze in LA history

"Firefighters are battling not only 106-degree temperatures today with low relative humidity, but it's also very steep and rugged terrain,"

Date: September 3, 2017 02:09

And on the seventh day god rested .......... Drumcondra 7.00 am- 3 September 2017 ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 3, 2017 03:23

Houston, now LA. Great sympathy and concern for our southern cousins.

Date: September 4, 2017 03:59

Its cooled off to 67 here by the Ocean in SF... I'll take it.

When it get as hot as it did here its not good because this city isn't equipped to deal with the heat and there's no AC. MY friends said it was 90 degrees in their house last night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-04 04:08 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 6, 2017 16:22

Hurricane Irma - We are hunkering down in Martin County. I'm not really up for another Hurricane - Wilma did me in.

Date: September 8, 2017 23:13

Date: September 9, 2017 23:59

There is a good reason meteorologists won't link climate change/global warming/etc to hurricane strength:

Between 1924 and 2017, 32 hurricanes were recorded at Category 5 strength. No Category 5 hurricanes were observed officially before 1924.

8 of those weakened from and regained cat 5 strength.

CATEGORY 5
Camille, Andrew, Dean, Felix and Irma each attained Category 5 status twice during their lifespans. Allen, Isabel and Ivan reached Category 5 intensity on three separate occasions. However, no Atlantic hurricane has reached Category 5 intensity more than three times during its lifespan. The November 1932 Cuba hurricane holds the record for most time spent as a Category 5 (although it took place before satellite or reconnaissance so the record may be somewhat suspect). Irma holds the record for longest continuous span as a Category 5 in the satellite era.

Thirty-two Category 5s have been recorded in the Atlantic basin since 1851, when records began. Only one Category 5 has been recorded in July, eight in August, nineteen in September, five in October, and one in November. There have been no officially recorded June or off-season Category 5 hurricanes.

September sees the most Category 5 hurricanes. This coincides with the climatological peak of the Atlantic hurricane season, which occurs in early September.[8] September Category 5s reached their strengths in any of the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, and open Atlantic. These places are where September tropical cyclones are likely to form.[7] Many of these hurricanes are either Cape Verde-type storms, which develop their strength by having a great deal of open water; or so-called Bahama busters, which intensify over the warm Loop Current in the Gulf of Mexico.

[en.wikipedia.org]

CATEGORY 4
A total of 95 hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean Basin, including the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, have reached Category 4 status as their peak intensity. (Note that Category 4 storms that intensified later to Category 5 status are not included in this analysis.)
[en.wikipedia.org]

There have been a gazillion category 3s.

So, the perspective is: there has yet to be proven that climate change has an influence on hurricanes. As strong as Irma has been, there have been stronger. As much rain as Harvey rained, there have been more and about the same. There have been tropical depressions that have rained A LOT. They would probably love to say climate change is the reason - but they haven't and they don't.

Sea surface temperatures get warm, in the 80s. Hurricanes need the water temperature to be 82 degrees Fahrenheit (F) or warmer for tropical cyclone formation and sustenance for 300 feet deep. [www.nasa.gov].

That happens every year. In the tropics and the subtropics (northern Gulf Of Mexico, a majority of the Bahamas, etc) around the world. There are a lot of factors that go into a hurricane developing.

Date: September 10, 2017 03:35

Live stream from key west.... it is getting ugly [www.youtube.com]

live cam here too>>> [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 03:44 by HankM.

Date: September 10, 2017 03:41

Live stream- MIAMI - FORT LAUDERDALE - KEY WEST

And a bunch of other LIVE streams... in a hurricane ... list of live hurricane cams [www.youtube.com]

Live streaming is inexpensive and easy these days...
ANYONE CAN DO IT... EVEN IN A HURRICANE!! (Leye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyKING at you Mick!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 03:42 by HankM.

Date: September 10, 2017 07:36

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:31

I started watching the live stream and the first thing I heard was a guy saying "wiped off the face of the earth" so I quit. sad smiley Best wishes going out to everyone in Florida (I have at least one friend who couldn't get out, not sure why).

Date: September 10, 2017 13:03

Drumcondra 7.00 am- 10 September 2017 ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 10, 2017 14:02

Did Keith's house in Turks survive? I saw on the news that Parrot Cay took quite a battering.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 10, 2017 14:17

Good luck to all in Florida - hope you survive the storms.

However, it is not much worse than it is in other places, for example, winter time in Scotland, Iceland, Faroe Islands where the storm hit some 80 m/s last winter.... or in South East Asia - Bangladesh where a big part of the country regularly is under water....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 93

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home