Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Richards-Jordan songwriting team ?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 21, 2012 20:07

As the discussion has come up a few times lately, with some saying that Jordan is behind OMS, have Keith or Steve Jordan ever been asked how they worked together ?

The most likely scenario would be that SJ edits Keith's ideas. Although looking at "Talk is Cheap" the "edition" wasn't exactly stellar at least in the lyrics department (Stuggle for instance). Certainly none of Mick's shaping of the titles Keith comes up with and that he writes songs around.

It doesn't seem that Steve Jordan's has ever written anything of interest other than with Keith?

Re: Richards-Jordan songwriting team ?
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 21, 2012 21:21

Well, how is the songwriting credited on GRRR!? Is it credited to Jagger/Richards? If so, then Keith will likely never reveal the specific dynamics behind the collaboration. If OMS was credited to Jagger/Richards, I wonder how Steve Jordan feels about working for free and missing out on those royalties--he must feel like Mick Taylor. At least Ron Wood gets an occasional credit.

Date: December 21, 2012 21:42

OMS is credited to Jagger/Richards/Jordan, like "Almost Hear You Sigh" before that. One has to wonder what Jordan contributed though since you'd think that Mick would have rewritten most of the lyrics...alhtough it seems he ran out of time since the second part is devoid of any lyrics ;-)

Ronnie hasn't received a credit since Dirty Work unless I'm mistaken and at the time Steve Lillywhite had told Nick Kent that he thought Keith had been very "generous" with Ronnie.

Date: December 21, 2012 21:54

Ah, I see. Yes, having looked it up, it seems that Ron Wood has not been credited since Dirty Work. Good to see that Jordan got credit for the song. In my opinion, One More Shot is the best Richards [co]composition in a long time, being his first structured uptempo material since Main Offender, because left to his own devices Keith's songs tend to have a meandering tuneless lounge quality, epitomized in the best example by How Do I Stop? and in the worst example by Losing My Lunch. Keith has described his creative abilities as functioning like an antenna, and as a musician Keith achieves his best performance chops by bouncing off of other musicians, like Charlie Watts. Likewise, as a songwriter Keith needs a collaborator who can provide feedback and quality control. Since he and Mick obviously don't write together anymore, one hopes that for the next Stones album Keith will demo his song material with Steve Jordan to achieve the best possible results.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 21, 2012 21:59

Is One More Shot really credited to Steve Jordan? When it came out I said it sounded like an outtake from Talk Is Cheap, on which Keith still used the Boogie MKI quite exclusively...

Mathijs

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2012 22:15

ROCKMAN

Date: December 22, 2012 01:11

So Keith would be bouncing stuff off of Steve Jordan who helps him flesh out his ideas and gets a credit? Seems pretty generous to me...I mean both Keith (Sparks will fly) and Mick (Sad, Sad, Sad and Hold on to your hat) have said that they worked with Charlie to get these songs right and he didn't get a credit? I guess that may have been overruled because the songs fell in the Jagger-Richards "bag"?

I don't have anything against Steve Jordan but it doesn't seem he's ever written/co-written anything else than the songs with Keith so I'm not sure what he brings to the table, hopefully more than Pr. Landy to Brian Wilson's songs...

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: December 22, 2012 01:20

gotdablues
I don't have anything against Steve Jordan but it doesn't seem he's ever written/co-written anything else

Jordan also has some co-writing credits with his band The Verbs.
[www.theverbs.us]

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 22, 2012 01:23

gotdablouse
So Keith would be bouncing stuff off of Steve Jordan who helps him flesh out his ideas and gets a credit? Seems pretty generous to me...I mean both Keith (Sparks will fly) and Mick (Sad, Sad, Sad and Hold on to your hat) have said that they worked with Charlie to get these songs right and he didn't get a credit? I guess that may have been overruled because the songs fell in the Jagger-Richards "bag"?

I don't have anything against Steve Jordan but it doesn't seem he's ever written/co-written anything else than the songs with Keith so I'm not sure what he brings to the table, hopefully more than Pr. Landy to Brian Wilson's songs...

How can you compare Steve Jordan to Eugene Landy??!!

Date: December 22, 2012 06:15

gotdablouse

Well, remember that Van Dyke Parks played a huge helping hand in the writing of Smile and was also called upon to help out on the completion of the work for the official release in the 2000s, so I don't know, right-hand man or whatever you want to call it.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 22, 2012 08:34

gotdablouse

He's also gotten some co-writing credits with John Mayer - two of my favorites:

Date: December 22, 2012 10:17

gotdablouse

Then the only conclusion can then be that Jordan did more than just to be there helping with bouncing ideas. He then also had ideas for melodies and structures, else he would not have gotten a credit.

Mathijs

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 22, 2012 15:13

Didnt Keith say something about this in his book Life...I think he said that he always asks Steve to sing the melodies first, or something like that..I dont have the book with me now, so I cant check..but I remember that Steve helped Keith with the vocal melody lines.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 22, 2012 16:12

Mathijs
else he would not have gotten a credit.

Logical thinking

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 22, 2012 17:09

And as usual from our resident expert a great plus for the discussion with the token definitive statement, moving on...

@seitan - don't remember reading that in Life but I'll look it up.

@stupidguy2 - thanks for pointing out these tracks, they do sound rather good.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: December 23, 2012 19:32

Ronnie only got writing credits on Dirty Work cause Keith was trying to piss off Mick, and it worked....only Dirty Work song that gets recycled is Harlem Shuffle.

Date: December 23, 2012 19:50

JC21769
Ronnie only got writing credits on Dirty Work cause Keith was trying to piss off Mick, and it worked....only Dirty Work song that gets recycled is Harlem Shuffle.

Wood got credits because he wrote a lot.

Mathijs

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 23, 2012 21:01

I think " One More Shot" sounds like Keith's old "Take It So Hard"

- maybe Steve got the credit, cause it's a re-written Take It So Hard

Date: December 24, 2012 01:54

Mathijs
JC21769

Wood got credits because he wrote a lot.

Mathijs

And you know that because ? Steve Lillywhite who was around told Nick Kent he was surprised that Ronnie'd gotten 4 credits and that Keith had been very generous...so that fits the "let's piss off Brenda" theory..."One Hit" would be cool as a live version, Harlem Shuffle was rather boring in the YT video.

As for OMS it's a bit odd...hopefully someone will ask Keith or Steve Jordan one of these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2158
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home