Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The New Keith
Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: December 20, 2012 05:03

watching all the videos of the show, the one thing I'm most in awe of is Keith. I expect Charlie to do his thing; I'm glad Ronnie is straight and playing well, and I would NOT expect Mick to get out there if he wasn't capable of carrying the show like he is doing.

BUT I am transfixed by Keith. It's like all the showboating of the past few years is gone. All the big sweeps, the nonsense poses, the hiding behind Blondie, frankly, the LAZINESS just seems gone. He used to almost try to compete with Mick in moving about; now he moves within a relatively small space, sometimes not at all, head down and focused on his playing. And with an extremely focused - almost serious - look on his face, full of intent and purpose.

It seems to me like an amazing transformation which is paying off big time in the quality of the performance. My hat is off to Keith. It seems like Mick challenged him - you want to do this? Here's what ya gotta do to get it right - and he accepted the challenge and surpassed probably his own expectations.

He can sure be a dick sometimes, but boy it's great when he's just this version of Keith. Thanks guy!

Re: The New Keith
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 20, 2012 05:29

And the Rolling Stones are a better band because of it. I too am very happy with what I've seen from Keith. I'm very excited for the future of the Stones. Hopefully they still have one or more great albums in them. Wishful thinking!!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 20, 2012 05:40

Bravo Keith.. I had ignored all tours after Steel Wheels. His Superbowl performance was truly sad but I had faith he'd man up for this anniversary. No this does not fix those sloppy years but he's reached down and done the impossible, increased the stature of The Rolling Stones' legacy. Mick and Charlie deserve this moment. Hat's off to Ronnie for his solid slide and lead work. His solo the first night for "Dice" was a remarkable highlight.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 20, 2012 07:55

MrMonte
My hat is off to Keith. It seems like Mick challenged him - you want to do this? Here's what ya gotta do to get it right - and he accepted the challenge and surpassed probably his own expectations.

We'll never know, but that's a likely scenario. If that's what happened, hats off to Mick as well!

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: December 20, 2012 08:00

Hallelujah! To watch K.R. play stroke-for-stroke versions of these rhythm guitar parts is "don't blink" time. There is a passage in "Brown Sugar" which requires 6 guitar strokes and Keith has only played two of those six strokes for many years. All the strokes are back and I almost had one watching this remarkable re-focus.
NOW they shine a light.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 20, 2012 09:08

he's just playing really well.anyone who denies that or tries to take it away from him is a friggin idiot.

you see him get down inside that rhythm and he stands close to charlie, just working it.

the human riff has returned.

Date: December 20, 2012 09:22

glimmerman
Hallelujah! To watch K.R. play stroke-for-stroke versions of these rhythm guitar parts is "don't blink" time. There is a passage in "Brown Sugar" which requires 6 guitar strokes and Keith has only played two of those six strokes for many years. All the strokes are back and I almost had one watching this remarkable re-focus.
NOW they shine a light.

Good observation!

Re: The Great Keith
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 20, 2012 10:07

Yeah, it's always a mighty pleasure to see Keith playing with all his head, heart and soul!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 20, 2012 10:24

Yes, what he lost in physical ability he's made up for by focusing on his playing, good news. Still let's not fool ourselves, while the others make it look like it's still 1995 (was watching Stripped on YT), Keith has aged a lot but he's still making it happen so big kudos to him for that.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 20, 2012 11:02

To be honest after what he's done to himself for the last 40 odd years I'm just glad he's still with us but the fact the cat can still cut it is a big plus.

Date: December 20, 2012 11:12

MrMonte
watching all the videos of the show, the one thing I'm most in awe of is Keith. I expect Charlie to do his thing; I'm glad Ronnie is straight and playing well, and I would NOT expect Mick to get out there if he wasn't capable of carrying the show like he is doing.

BUT I am transfixed by Keith. It's like all the showboating of the past few years is gone. All the big sweeps, the nonsense poses, the hiding behind Blondie, frankly, the LAZINESS just seems gone. He used to almost try to compete with Mick in moving about; now he moves within a relatively small space, sometimes not at all, head down and focused on his playing. And with an extremely focused - almost serious - look on his face, full of intent and purpose.

It seems to me like an amazing transformation which is paying off big time in the quality of the performance. My hat is off to Keith. It seems like Mick challenged him - you want to do this? Here's what ya gotta do to get it right - and he accepted the challenge and surpassed probably his own expectations.

He can sure be a dick sometimes, but boy it's great when he's just this version of Keith. Thanks guy!

Fantastic observations. I am so proud of Keith. And very happy for him.

Date: December 20, 2012 11:20

spsimmons
And the Rolling Stones are a better band because of it. I too am very happy with what I've seen from Keith. I'm very excited for the future of the Stones. Hopefully they still have one or more great albums in them. Wishful thinking!!

Yes, and they should take this momentum they have built up directly into the studio ASAP!

Date: December 20, 2012 11:23

Braincapers
To be honest after what he's done to himself for the last 40 odd years I'm just glad he's still with us but the fact the cat can still cut it is a big plus.

The cat is a warrior, plain and simple. True Grit is what they call it.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: December 20, 2012 15:19

I am so proud of Keith
What complete turn around a proof to all is not finished up but still has a lot left in him.
Great thread. With no negativity.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: December 20, 2012 15:47

I share the view that Keith is playing great and seems to give the music a great kick. I am glad the Stone became a guitar band again. If things keep going - please stay with this line-up. It should be noted that Ronnie is also playing with more focus and drive as well.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: December 20, 2012 16:24

Fredluvzstones
I am so proud of Keith
What complete turn around a proof to all is not finished up but still has a lot left in him.
Great thread. With no negativity.

well, it's funny how this worked out. AFTER I posted I noticed a similar thread marked "I Miss Keith" and apologized for starting this one instead of just adding to that one. Now, checking this morning, it's great to see some reinforcing responses who see the "new Keith" as a positive, both in terms of the man's playing and the impact on the band. So we have one thread with the usual negativity - those who are bashing Keith for not moving around and trying to compete with Jagger - and this one, which so far is filled with positive affirmation of the man and his music.

Maybe that's a model for the future? Take an issue - any issue - and have two threads - one pro, one con?

Just kidding, but it's fan reading this thread with all of us gushing fanboys.

One last on-topic comment. I didn't go to the last newark show. thought about it hard, but in the end figured it would set me back at least $650.00 at the end of the day, and decided I just couldn't do it. Such is life. BUT the ONE thing I most regret is not seeing this version of Keith. I think I would have been in tears the entire time. And I'm a grown middle aged man!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 20, 2012 16:35

lem motlow
he's just playing really well.anyone who denies that or tries to take it away from him is a friggin idiot.

at your service, lemmie....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 20, 2012 17:43

I think we have to thank all the folks who thought he couldn't do it.
He obviously accepted the challenge.

Both Keith and Ronnie's school reports would make better reading this term.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:08

I was at the second London show and was feeling much the same as you MrMonte lookn at Keith's different attitude on stage. Loved how often he would turn to Charlie to play with him. It was Keith back at the core engine of the band. Nice to see and hear that

One word on Sympathy - i am bored to death by the "modern" rendition and he butchered the solo at my show in a way very similar to Shine a light (
but was good to very good on the clips I heard of the other gigs and almost make me like to hear the song again and again

yes, thanks Keith

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:12

I think the main reason behind Keith becoming an un-natural, overly animated figure on stage was a direct result of the huge tv screens and the over produced shows since Voodoo. He got sucked into the bullshit and that really affected his playing.....then add on age, drugs, booze, laziness, falling out of trees and having back up players.

Its just an observation, what the hell do I know.

Im glad Mr. Richards seems focused during the last 4 official shows for I really enjoy his guitar playing.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 21:21

It was not Mick who challenged Keith. It was Charlie!! Keith confirmed in interviews that when the band was talking about doing these shows Charlie would only agree if they scaled it down. Not have all the sections on stage. Keith responded by saying "You do realize how much pressure that puts on the guitarists Charlie?" Keith said there was no way he was letting Charlie Watts down!

Something tells me if Mick Jagger challenged Keith's guitar playing he would end getting stabbed by the knife Keith is always carrying.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 23:12

Yep.

Posted by: Felix0452 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 23:34

And if the axis-Charlie Keith was the revival of Stones? The real machine that would allow them to continue to rejoice yet? Mick might be the singer, exceptional course ... and the author of the texts, but the man of the Stones, the true engine could be our beloved Keith. He has done so much for this group, despite his addiction problems. It always amazes me as my, this is a fantastic guitarist, despite all the criticism. I really love him with all my heart.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 21, 2012 03:52

Yes we have a new improved Keith that plays great. But it's a shame he and jagger dont' get along. But what had Keith expect after writing the book. In an unnecessary way even if it was just few lines he hit Mick there it hurts most. And words written down in an book is hard to take back. I think this is the last of them as friends, even if it been bad before.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 04:12 by talkcheap.

Date: December 21, 2012 05:02

talkcheap
Yes we have a new improved Keith that plays great. But it's a shame he and jagger dont' get along. But what had Keith expect after writing the book. In an unnecessary way even if it was just few lines he hit Mick there it hurts most. And words written down in an book is hard to take back. I think this is the last of them as friends, even if it been bad before.

They are two extraordinary human beings, flawed, yes, but extraordinary nonetheless. On the surface it seems there are issues that may never get resolved between them, but I will always wonder if this thing doesn't have some master scriptwriter by the name of Michael Mick Jagger.

Date: December 21, 2012 05:08

JumpinJackOLantern
talkcheap

They are two extraordinary human beings, flawed, yes, but extraordinary nonetheless. On the surface it seems there are issues that may never get resolved between them, but I will always wonder if this thing doesn't have some master scriptwriter by the name of Michael Mick Jagger.

I don't understand the last part, jumpingjack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 05:20 by talkcheap.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 21, 2012 06:22

It is great to see focused and playing well again and its also a shame that he and Mick don't get in well. They've known each other and partnered so long. There was very little interaction between them on stage in the five shows though the combustion that they create together is apparently still there. i can;t blame Mick for being upset Keith did say some hurtful things in Life but it happened. Maybe one day they will patch it up who knows. Whatever happens I hope to see more of both of them together with the Stones. Everyone don;t fool yourselves Charlie may have said that but Mick calls the shots and is the only one who can really say anything to Keith and viceversa I've heard Ronnie, Charlie and Bill say they don;t want to be the meat in that sandwich.

Date: December 21, 2012 21:58

talkcheap
JumpinJackOLantern
talkcheap

I wouldn't be surprised to find out one day that this decades long rift between Mick and Keith was scripted by Mick and is just part of some soap opera that Mick envisioned for the Stones to keep them interesting all these years. They always seem to pull it together when they need to. Even Keith's book may have had Jagger input. Sounds crazy I know, but watching Jagger on SNL recently made me realize that this guy is a pretty damn good little actor and has no problem laughing at himself. A great trait to have, by the way.

Date: December 22, 2012 01:06

JumpinJackOLantern
talkcheap
JumpinJackOLantern
talkcheap

I wouldn't be surprised to find out one day that this decades long rift between Mick and Keith was scripted by Mick and is just part of some soap opera that Mick envisioned for the Stones to keep them interesting all these years. They always seem to pull it together when they need to. Even Keith's book may have had Jagger input. Sounds crazy I know, but watching Jagger on SNL recently made me realize that this guy is a pretty damn good little actor and has no problem laughing at himself. A great trait to have, by the way.

Well, I understand what you mean, it sort of; bad news is good news and better when no news

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 22, 2012 03:47

This is silly. Mick and Keith have a strained personal relationship. It deteriorated some through the 70's and fractured in the 80's.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1352
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home