Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

If Gimme Shelter wasn't played MSG 27/11/69, as all sources indicate, why ...
Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 17, 2005 13:54

... is there a slice just after Love in Vain after which you hear Mick saying "Gimme some Shelter... We need it..", just before starting Prodigal Son. What's happening here?
(my version: Penetration Records)

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Re: If Gimme Shelter wasn't played MSG 27/11/69, as all sources indicate, why ...
Date: January 17, 2005 14:08

Love in Vain (from Get Yer Ya-Yas Out) was actually recorded in Baltimore, not New York. Is this what you are referencing to?

Re: If Gimme Shelter wasn't played MSG 27/11/69, as all sources indicate, why ...
Date: January 17, 2005 14:28

Not exactly, Richard. I was referring to my boot of the 27/11 show which indicates GS wás played, contrary to what sources say. I have no other explanation for Micks words. Then again, it seems hard to believe that it would have gone unnoticed. Mesmerizing...

Btw, GS wasn't played in Baltimore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-17 14:28 by Greg.

Date: January 17, 2005 14:54

Just to add: the boot says it's "Made exclusively from a 2nd generation tape from the master reels". Could this be a new source? Hence the hitherto unnoticed GS? Since it's my only boot from this show, I can't compare it to the others. All markers indicate it ís the 27/11 show.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 17, 2005 15:32

Yes - this is a "new" source which is very good!

I'd have to check again regarding GS, but I believe Mick has said "gimme some shelter..." before on the 1969 Tour but they didn't play it....perhaps I'm referring to the 27th show, I can't remember but it is one 1969 show.

If it is this show then I'd say Mick simply thought Gimme Shelter was next on the list....

Esky

Date: January 17, 2005 15:49

You could very well be right, Esky. Still I find Micks words IN COMBINATION with the cut in the tape just before (I think the only one on the boot) conspicuous. It sounds so much as if he was referring to a song they just finished and that wasn't recorded.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 17, 2005 16:49

I also remember more shows with the same comment just before PS. I always thought he was refering to the stools being brought on stage. Further, the few times they did play GS it was always later in the set. I don't think they played GS in NY.

Mathijs

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 17, 2005 17:05

Correct. It WASNT played at any of the three New York shows.

The only times where GS was played on the 69 US tour were on 4 shows at the start of the tour (Fort Collins, both Oakland shows and Phoenix) and then again on the last two shows - West Palm Beach and Altamont. Theres no known setlists for the shows in Auburn, but as it had been dropped from the setlist a few shows before that, I very mch doubt they played it there either.

Date: January 17, 2005 17:31

Yeah, it would have been too nice, Greg's little contribution to Stonology... The good thing is: my boot has the complete show!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 17, 2005 18:42

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Correct. It WASNT played at any of the three New
> York shows.
>
> Theres no known setlists for the
> shows in Auburn, but as it had been dropped from
> the setlist a few shows before that, I very mch
> doubt they played it there either.

Auburn (2nd show)

- JUmpin'Jack Flash
- Carol
- Sympathy for the Devil
- Stray cat Blues
- Prodigal son
- You gotta move
- Love in vain
- Under my thumb
- Midnight Rambler
- Live with me
- Little Queenie
- Satisfaction
- Honky Tonk women
- Street fighting man

So no Gimme Shelter here either

Date: January 18, 2005 02:16

Oh when, oh when, oh when, will both Auburn shows see the light of day???????

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: January 18, 2005 10:46

GS has NOT been played at the first Oakland show, only during the 2nd show
GS was also played live on nov. 18 at the Ed Sullivan show.

Hendrik Mulder

Date: January 18, 2005 11:03

I wonder if it was played at the Saville & Lyceum ballrooms mid-December 1969 ??

Date: January 18, 2005 11:47

Tour statistics for GS in 1969: [home.wanadoo.nl]

for other tourstatistics: [home.wanadoo.nl]

Hendrik Mulder

Date: January 18, 2005 12:12

"GS was also played live on nov. 18 at the Ed Sullivan show."

Err...., SUNG live, not played live.

Date: January 18, 2005 14:34

very good Greg; just in case no one would understand....

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 18, 2005 15:16

It´s a shame they only played it once in 1970.

Date: January 18, 2005 15:33

...and what a weird version it is !
Totally different to the 1969 Tour versions...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home