Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981 - now available
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 22, 2012 04:43

A bit of discovery today - gently related to the Stones and an old venue - follow me here...

This is an entry from the book -

Civic Auditorium
300 East Ocean Boulevard
Long Beach
Located near a Long Beach's oceanside amusement park, the Rolling Stones played here on November 1, 1964 before heading down to play an evening show in San Diego. They returned on May 16, 1965, and Keith Richards was quoted later as to the harrowing experience the band had with rabid fans: “We tried to get out through a narrow passage. But the kids roared down on us. Without exaggeration there must have been a hundred piled on top of the car and we could hear the roof creaking and cracking. Inside, panicking like mad, we stood up and tried to hold up the roof. But the kids were everywhere. Outside, trying to force the door handles, trying to smash in the windows. We couldn't get moving; otherwise someone would have been killed. It was definitely the most frightening thing of my whole life.” The building was demolished in the early 1970s and the Pacific Terrace Theatre and Long Beach Convention & Entertainment Center stands there today.

This what the place looked like in its heyday:

So, it was torn down in the 1970s - BUT - you can see a piece of a mural in the elevated archway - where the gold color is - that 1938 WPA mural was saved and stands today in Long Beach by a parking garage - something the Stones probably laid eyes on during one of their trips to this seaside venue.

And this is the mural as it sat in the venue:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-22 04:46 by hbwriter.

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981 - now available
Date: December 22, 2012 08:26

hbwriter
Richard from Canada
What a great idea. I don't have an e-book yet but I'm wondering if I can still buy it through Amazon, have it downloaded to my iMac and read it from there? Congrats again!

Richard

you absolutely can - just download the free kindle previewer from amazon - that's how i looked at it smiling smiley

[www.amazon.com]

Thanks for the tip on how to read it. I did what Chris suggested and read through it. I had seen many of Chris's work already but the the book is way better. Great, great work, and really good idea.
I see that it looks like a continuous saga though; new refs coming in.

Date: December 22, 2012 17:35

Thank you, Palace - I think I'll be working on updates for a long time - but I'm totally happy with this first pass and really happy with the response thus far - got a note from some band inner circle that made my day - they like the concept

Date: December 23, 2012 00:47

Another fun Stones geographic fact for the day -

This is the oldest existing venue they've played in the US - Barton Hall, Ithaca College, upstate NY - built in 1914

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 03:45 by hbwriter.

Date: December 23, 2012 18:09

another "site for the day"

414 St. Pierre Road
Bel Air
From late 1971 until spring 1972, Mick Jagger shared this estate with his wife Binaca and daughter Jade while the band was in Los Angeles finishing up the album Exile on Main St. Built in 1927, the house was originally purchased for actress Marion Davies by newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst (she was his mistress). As well, John F. Kennedy and his wife Jackie had stayed there in the 1950s.

-----

This is also where the band shot some film with Robert Frank that extraordinary day they went to Main St in LA - stills from this location are seen on the cover of Exile - a palacial estate - sort of "nellcote-esque"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 18:12 by hbwriter.

Date: December 23, 2012 18:34

Also -i did a national radio tour the other day to talk about this - here's one of the appearances - [podOmatic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-24 01:09 by hbwriter.

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: December 23, 2012 18:35

hbwriter
mitchmitchell
Groupies always hung out at the Continental Hyatt because all the top groups were rumored to be there .. more than likely the groups didn't want to be in such an obvious place . . groupies were always trying to get in there . ."Oh I know Hendrix is staying there , I just know it "

that rodney bigenheimer??

Bingenheimer - sure looks like him HBW. Saw this on Wiki too:

He was described as a "famous groupie, now respectable" by Mick Jagger.

He dines regularly at a Hollywood Denny's restaurant, arriving at 1pm each day, according to one report. He owns a "classic blue Pontiac GTO". He wears "trademark snug black suits."

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Date: December 23, 2012 18:37

peter wilson
hbwriter
mitchmitchell
Groupies always hung out at the Continental Hyatt because all the top groups were rumored to be there .. more than likely the groups didn't want to be in such an obvious place . . groupies were always trying to get in there . ."Oh I know Hendrix is staying there , I just know it "

that rodney bigenheimer??

Bingenheimer - sure looks like him HBW. Saw this on Wiki too:

He was described as a "famous groupie, now respectable" by Mick Jagger.

He dines regularly at a Hollywood Denny's restaurant, arriving at 1pm each day, according to one report. He owns a "classic blue Pontiac GTO". He wears "trademark snug black suits."

he's a really sweet guy - i did a TV show with him recently and we sat and talked music for about two hours- did you see the documentary about him? he's really a fascinating character

Date: December 23, 2012 18:39

here the rodney doc trailer -

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: December 23, 2012 18:46

Have the DVD documentary - will dig it out today and have another watch

Congrats on the book BTW - hope it comes out in hard form, I still haven't converted to an electronic reader, much prefer good old fashioned print still

Date: December 23, 2012 18:49

peter wilson
Have the DVD documentary - will dig it out today and have another watch

Congrats on the book BTW - hope it comes out in hard form, I still haven't converted to an electronic reader, much prefer good old fashioned print still

i like print too - that said, i did download the free kindle previewer for my mac desktop and it's sorta cool smiling smiley

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: December 23, 2012 20:47

Chris

Really enjoying this book. Great idea. Very cool to read about the events and places I attended. I'm sure the content will get deeper and richer as IORRers continue to weigh-in. I realize this stops at 1981, but I hope you update it someday to cover post 1981.

I live in NJ, but often attend Connecticut shows (much easier to get very good seats at a decent price) . I know you don't cover every show, but here are ticket stubs from a few memorable shows I attended. You mention the 1981 shows at the Hartford Civic Center, but they also played there in 1999 and 2002 as well.

The March 29th 1999 show was particularly memorable because the Stones were locked in for whole 1999/ No security tour and that night as the Stones left the stage they put on the overhead video screens the final seconds of the NCAA basketball finals as the University of Connecticut Huskies won their 1st national championship. The crowd - which was already going crazy after a great show-- absolutely lost it.

The 2002 Licks show was personally memorable to me because my 8 year old son -- against my better judgement (check out the price of the ticket) -- had convinced me to take him to his 1st Stones concert. He absolutely loved it -- and turned to me during their opening number (Street Fighting Man) and yelled "they're really really good!" I just took my now 18 year old son to the Brooklyn and the 2nd NJ show and he's loves them even more today -- listens to them all the time, wears vintage Stones t-shirts and can play Keith's open G licks like a champion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 20:52 by GS1978.

Date: December 24, 2012 07:00

Great stuff - GS - reminds me of 02 - at Angel stadium a week to the day we saw our team win the world series- during YGMR they incorporated clips from the series on the big screen- magic

Date: December 24, 2012 07:40

Next site of the day -

Sumet-Bernet Studios
7027 Twin Hills Avenue
Dallas
For decades this had been one of the most popular recording studios in Dallas. It was built by Marvin "Smokey" Montgomery of the Light Crust Doughboys (who produced "Hey! Baby" and "Hey Paula," ) and Ed Bernet. Here, Montgomery produced and recorded albums by the Doughboys and a host other Texas bands. But many other artists from around the world came here as well. In fact, in 1971 Helen Reddy, recorded here iconic hit "I Am Woman" here. In the middle of their 1972 tour, June 23rd to be exact, the Rolling Stones came here for an on-the-the-fly rehearsal session in advance of the filming of several area shows for their concert movie, Ladies And Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones (the first of which would be filmed the next day).The building remains today, as Ed Bernet Entertainment. -----

This has long puzzled me - they call a last minute rehearsal to tighten up for the filming in Texas - they're incorporating Dead Flowers into the set for just two shows, yet they don't seem to rehearse it - or if so - it's never been included on any of the boots. Then they play it, film it, and it becomes standard-like for many of us, tight as a drum, soaring, even, and long before we ever saw the Marquee version. Then it's gone again, until Knebworth. Could they have gotten away with not rehearsing it? Was it just that easy a song for them to call up? Or are there more to the session tapes? And at 3:23, is that perhaps Jagger cueing Richards to the lyric tweak in the last chorus (US Mail, Say it with...) because they have not been playing the song and want to get it right for posterity? (at 3:30, I think you actually see Jagger say clearly "Say it with Dead Flowers")

This is show #1 in Fort Worth - 6/24/72 - Tarant County Convention Center

--Note I received from Ed Bernet this morning - " I do remember them rehearsing in our
studio one day for a show...the next day...in Fort Worth...don't have the
date, don't remember too much about it...only that here they were...one of
the biggest acts in the world...in our studio. I don't THINK they did any
recording, just rehearsing for their FW show. It was a feather in our cap
to have them in the studio...even if only for a rehearsal."

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 07:08 by hbwriter.

Date: December 24, 2012 07:42

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-24 19:33 by hbwriter.

Date: December 24, 2012 19:33

forgot to include - this is where the Dallas rehearsals took place -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 07:08 by hbwriter.

Date: December 26, 2012 00:09

new site of the day!

Stage 15
Warner Bros
3400 West Riverside Drive
Burbank
From late October into early November, the Rolling Stones rehearsed for their 1969 American tour on the famed Warner Bros film lot just outside of Los Angeles in Burbank, on stage 15. Props from the film They Shoot Horses. Don’t They? are visible in photos taken of the rehearsals (the film shot that same year). Other films shot on Stage 15 include: Golddiggers of 1935 (1935)
Anthony Adverse (1936)
The Petrified Forest (1936)
Mildred Pierce (1945)
The Big Sleep (1946)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
Calamity Jane (1953)
House of Wax (1953)
Mr. Roberts (1955)
Giant (1956)
Damn Yankees (1958)
The Old Man and the Sea (1958)
The Music Man (1962)
The Great Race (1965)
They Shoot Horses Don't They (1969)
Blume in Love (1973)
Blazing Saddles (1974)

(ethan russell, i presume)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 01:00 by hbwriter.

Date: December 26, 2012 18:29

site of the day -

Ratcliffe Stadium
1101 E. University Avenue
Fresno
Opened in 1926 as part of Fresno City College, this football stadium hosted the NCAA football Raisin Bowl from 1946 through 1949. On May 22, 1965, the Stones (with the Byrds as openers) played to a relatively small crowd of about 4000, but due to rioting teenage girls, the band had to stop their set early and escape to the safety of an armored car. Rare film footage of the show surfaced several years ago and included not just of the concert, but the band hanging out at the local Fresno Holiday Inn located at 4278 West Ashlan Avenue at Highway 99 (today it is a Quality Inn).

One of Bob Bonis's famous shots at Ratcliffe -

Here is the footage of the Stones at the motel

And here is the motel as it looks today -

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 06:21

This little bit of info might not be of much interest to you but I read somewhere that Brian Jones once lamented on the troubles he'd had getting back to England after one of their earlier American tour's. First apperantly he'd been stuck in warm sunny southern California for longer than he would have liked only to end up at the Winnipeg Manitoba Canada airport in the middle of winter for hour's, waiting to board his plane it being delayed due to weather across the Atlantic. Winnipeg in winter can be one cold sob and the airport was at the time tiny. It still sort of thrill's me to know that the one and only Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones might have been wondering around our very own little airport at the same time I was only minutes away from him, probably dreaming about the day I would finally be old enough to actually get to see the band live. Never in my wildest dream's could I have thought this to be the case. Brian and the Stones were like God's to me at the time and it's a nice thought now after all these year's that had circumstances been differant I might have got to meet Brian personally

Date: December 28, 2012 12:07

Does anyone remember what happened to Keith on the day of the Exile film? Why he was not around?

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: December 28, 2012 14:53

what a great idea! But no kindlesad smileysad smileysad smiley
Mimi

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 28, 2012 15:04

Mimi73
Mimi

Here is a free Kindle for you.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-28 15:06 by mitchmitchell.

Date: December 28, 2012 16:36

Palace Revolution 2000
Does anyone remember what happened to Keith on the day of the Exile film? Why he was not around?

he missed Main St - but he's in the clips at the house mick was renting - maybe he over slept smiling smiley

Date: December 28, 2012 17:10

Mimi73
Mimi

Mimi-I don't either but try that link - it's how i was able to look it at smiling smiley

Date: December 28, 2012 18:06

The building at left is hangar E at Stewart Int'l Airport - Newburgh, NY - where the 1975 lotus stages were first assembled and rehearsals commenced with the band in May, 1975

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 28, 2012 19:02

hbwriter
]

The "How Long Will They Last?" sign on the dance marathon set from They Shoot Horses Don't They?" is a nice touch.

There's also a Henry Diltz photo of CSNY rehearsing in the same space, and in Dave Zimmer's book about CSN, Nash recalls that Bill Crosby cutting up while watching the band by cracking a bullwhip (!) and shouting out requests for standards like "Melancholy Baby."

Date: December 28, 2012 19:53

loog droog
hbwriter
]

The "How Long Will They Last?" sign on the dance marathon set from They Shoot Horses Don't They?" is a nice touch.

There's also a Henry Diltz photo of CSNY rehearsing in the same space, and in Dave Zimmer's book about CSN, Nash recalls that Bill Crosby cutting up while watching the band by cracking a bullwhip (!) and shouting out requests for standards like "Melancholy Baby."

i've got to look that one up - funny the other lives these soundstages lead sometimes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-28 20:39 by hbwriter.

Re: Moonlight Miles - A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Date: December 29, 2012 02:49

One location I have yet to lock down -
When I reached out to the director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, he told me that the videos for 1978’s Some Girls album, which included the songs “Miss You,” “Respectable” and “Far Away Eyes” were shot “In NYC on the East side, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Avenue in the 70's maybe, near enough for me to walk to an Orange Julius, or an uptown Papaya for a snack in the meal break over on 86th and Third.”

I included as much as I have now - photographer M. Putland told me he fondly recalls the shoot - but has no memory of where exactly the studio was - anyone? smiling smiley

Re: Moonlight Miles - A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: December 29, 2012 05:16

Brilliant work, Chris. Congrats, and thanks for the very kind acknowledgement.

Harold

Date: December 29, 2012 17:22

Thank YOU, Harold - I meant it.

Site for the day - WINS-AM radio studio - 345 Hudson St. - NYC - (10th floor) the Stones sat in for three hours on the Murray the K radio show in 1964 - and flipped when he played the Valentino's (featuring Bobby Womack)version of "It's All Over Now" - M THE K pushed them to record it and nine days later they did - creating their first #1 UK hit. (Wyman: “We were on the air live for three hours, talking, joking, asking each other for fags (which freaked everyone out) and reading commercials. After the show Murray played us a single by the Valentinos called “It’s All Over Now,” and suggested that we cover it for our next single.”

to order: [www.amazon.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-29 17:34 by hbwriter.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home