Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981 - now available
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 18, 2012 19:00

groupie heaven, this place - much different today though - way more chic

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Date: December 19, 2012 03:05

Rockman
Keith once mentioned that he carries a small vial of soil
taken from a cross-road in the Delta .... Ya got that cross-road in ya book HB???

by the way- i have soil here from there, too. RM smiling smiley

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Date: December 19, 2012 09:27

Palace Revolution 2000
Congratulations. Incredible job and research. It looks awesome.
Like others have said: I will most likely get the e-book, but would so much rather see and own a physical book.

thanks, PR- let me know what you think if you have a chance to go through it

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981 - now available
Date: December 19, 2012 18:39

meant to ask - anyone hear the story of Jimmy Hutmaker before? This is a piece from my book -

Excelsior Amusement Park
Lake Minnetonka
Excelsior, Minnesota.
This popular amusement park was open from 1925 to 1973, and featured a ballroom that hosted many concerts including Lawrence Welk, Tommy Dorsey, the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones. But the Stones appearance here on June 12, 1964, just after they arrived in the United States, has long been steeped in legend. There was a man in town named Jimmy Hutmaker, an unofficial ambassador who would roam the streets greeting people. His nickname was “Mr. Jimmy.” This is how the Minnesota Star Tribune recounted the legend in Hutmaker’s 2007 obituary: “According to legend, Jagger arrived at Excelsior's old Bacon's drugstore to get a prescription filled the morning after playing at Danceland in 1964 and met Hutmaker. Hutmaker, who said he had met Jagger at the concert, said he complained to Jagger that he had just ordered a cherry Coke at the drugstore but instead got a regular Coke.

"I told Mick, 'You can't always get what you want,'" said Hutmaker. Although the story has never been verified, references to a drugstore, a cherry soda, a prescription and "Mr. Jimmy" -- Hutmaker's nickname -- all appear in the song. Some of Hutmaker's friends think the story is true. "I believe 100 percent that it did happen. I would never think of him making anything up, fib or lie," said Paul Huber, who runs a funeral home in Excelsior. Five years later, on their 1969 album Let It Bleed, the Stones released a song titled "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - and references to a drugstore, a cherry soda, a prescription, and "Mr Jimmy" (Hutmaker's nickname around town) all appear in the song…. Mister Jimmy's business cards had the lyrics to the song printed on their back sides.”

(the story goes on in the book about how, until he died in 1997, Hutmaker swore to people YCAGWYW was about what happened here in Minnesota - no historical anchors to this whatsoever of course, but a fun, weird story - was curious if any of you were familiar with it)

Date: December 19, 2012 19:54

What a great idea. I don't have an e-book yet but I'm wondering if I can still buy it through Amazon, have it downloaded to my iMac and read it from there? Congrats again!

Richard

Date: December 19, 2012 20:03

Richard from Canada
What a great idea. I don't have an e-book yet but I'm wondering if I can still buy it through Amazon, have it downloaded to my iMac and read it from there? Congrats again!

Richard

you absolutely can - just download the free kindle previewer from amazon - that's how i looked at it smiling smiley

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 20:06 by hbwriter.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 19, 2012 20:08

Just finished the book hb, it was a real treat. Thanks. peace

Date: December 19, 2012 20:19

Naturalust
Just finished the book hb, it was a real treat. Thanks. peace

(that means something to me - thank you, man)

Date: December 19, 2012 21:38

Thanks for the info. I'm downloading the book onto my iMac. Look forward to some very nice reading. You have a great writing style.

Date: December 19, 2012 22:50

Richard from Canada
Thanks for the info. I'm downloading the book onto my iMac. Look forward to some very nice reading. You have a great writing style.

Thanks, Richard - a host of Canadian sites included as well - feel free to let me know what ya think

Date: December 19, 2012 23:01

Hi Chris. I downloaded it - apparently successfully - but can't find it. I'm sure it's buried in the iMac somewhere. I'll root it out. I did read the first bit from the Amazon page - looks like a well-researched and enjoyable book to read. Can't wait to find it. I'm off to California for the holidays and hope to see a few of the Rolling Stone sites. Take care.

Date: December 19, 2012 23:07

just do a "find" for moonlight miles" smiling smiley

Date: December 19, 2012 23:27

I did - nothing there. But I know I'll find it. I downloaded the Stones Light the Fuse 2005 show and it took awhile to find that. I'm listening to it now.

Date: December 20, 2012 02:32

if you go to users and just look at downloads?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 20, 2012 02:50

That sounds great, the Stones and Americana, what more can you ask for ;-) So do you have the address for these spots or do you also include the GPS position so that roadtrips could be programmed easily with Google Maps or other apps?

I wish I'd had that book when we drove from SF to NY via Seattle, Glacier, Yellowstone, Chicago, etc...in the summer of 2011. Only Stones related stuff I saw was at the Rnr HOF in Cleveland but they had some cool stuff there, like Mick's 1981 outfits and Johnny Cash's touring bus!

Date: December 20, 2012 02:54

gotdablouse
That sounds great, the Stones and Americana, what more can you ask for ;-) So do you have the address for these spots or do you also include the GPS position so that roadtrips could be programmed easily with Google Maps or other apps?

I wish I'd had that book when we drove from SF to NY via Seattle, Glacier, Yellowstone, Chicago, etc...in the summer of 2011. Only Stones related stuff I saw was at the Rnr HOF in Cleveland but they had some cool stuff there, like Mick's 1981 outfits and Johnny Cash's touring bus!

it's addresses but not GPS at this point - there will be an advance version down the road but the publisher felt that at this point - addresses make it easy enough to get it done- and yes there is a mention of this web site smiling smiley

Date: December 20, 2012 14:54

What a great read! I finally found the download - on my HP TouchPad. Don't know how that happened! You have a nice and fluid style. The book is certainly just as much about 'place and setting' as well - which adds context and depth. Congrats. I'll be browsing through it over the holidays in sunny California. :-)

Date: December 20, 2012 16:49

excellent, thank you - the weather promises to be good here - plenty of stones sites to see - if you're in LA, within an hour there are at leas a dozen compelling stones sites you can squeeze in

Date: December 20, 2012 17:18

One of my favorite sites in the book - a genuinely eerie site if you are in the D.C. area - it's not too hard to access

Washington Coliseum
1132, 1140, and 1146 3rd Street, NE
Washington, D.C
It opened as The Uline Ice Arena in 1941, and over the years was used primarily for hockey and basketball. In fact, Earl Lloyd who broke the color barrier in the NBA playing with the Washington Capitols, accomplished that achievement here on October 31, 1950. Many concerts were also held here. This was the site of the first concert by the Beatles in the United States, and also where the photograph of Bob Dylan on the cover of Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits was taken during a Dylan show on November 28, 1965.The Stones played here on November 13, 1965 and June 26, 1966. In 1967, following a riot during a performance by The Temptations, all music concerts were banned. Today the building still stands, all but gutted, and used for indoor parking.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: December 20, 2012 17:36

Just a few years ago, they were using the Colseium as a garbage transfer station. People living nearby complained so they closed it down. I see the building everyday on the way to work as it sits right next to the Metro Red line and Amtrak tracks.

Date: December 20, 2012 17:46

have you been inside? it's sort of an amazing structure - and many don't know the NBA color barrier was broken here

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 20, 2012 20:34

THis thread should be a sticky...that would save hbwriter from having to keep bumping it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 20, 2012 21:37

Got the book and will be reading it on my iPad, again Stones and Americana, what's not to love ;-)

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 20, 2012 22:13

Hope it comes out in solid form

Date: December 21, 2012 01:34

gotdablouse
Got the book and will be reading it on my iPad, again Stones and Americana, what's not to love ;-)

thank you! - CM - no bumping at all! just answering people as they post - this one's more personal than other threads smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 17:39 by hbwriter.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 13:16

Great read Chris -- Really interesting stuff. Very appropriate coming on the heels of the 50th Anniversary shows.

I loved the Jimmy Hutmaker / YCAGWYW story. Even if it was all in Jimmy's imagination, it shows the impact the Stones had on communities all across America even from the very early days.

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 21, 2012 17:03

Does Jagger have a house in Southern California?

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: December 21, 2012 17:03

Chris, yes, I have been inside. I work just a few blocks from it. Out of town guests are always surprised when I tell them that's where the Beatles first U.S. concert took place. Did not know the Stones played the Warner Theatre in '78. Downloaded your book this morning. Great read!

Date: December 21, 2012 17:57

GS1978
Great read Chris -- Really interesting stuff. Very appropriate coming on the heels of the 50th Anniversary shows.

I loved the Jimmy Hutmaker / YCAGWYW story. Even if it was all in Jimmy's imagination, it shows the impact the Stones had on communities all across America even from the very early days.

that's my attitude - when he attended the show in '97, he only should have been able to meet them - but regardless, a totally charming tale - esp. how he had his business cards printed with the lyrics. THANK YOU for reading it - feel free to share a quick blurb on amazon - publishers totally appreciate it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 18:01 by hbwriter.

Date: December 22, 2012 01:24

I might actually get down to LA when I'm in San Jose for the holidays. I am collaborating on a book (not about the Stones) with someone living there. If that happens, I'll be checking out LA related Stones sites.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home