Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"When The Whip Comes Down" Live 78
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 16, 2005 21:25

This is one of my favorite tracks from "Handsome Girls". This one is 5:23 of flesh-flaying guitars, with Mick J providing a third guitar to the onslaught. Screw the punkers--this one is played with a fury that is so intense that it's almost comical. Ronnie is up-front, and his flutter-style leads and the last bent-string bursts at 4:12 make my hair stand on end. Charlie and Bill help drive home this rock n roll blitzkrieg. How can anyone say that 78 was sloppy and poorly-played after hearing this? I apologize for beating this into the ground, but it has become a favorite tour for me, far better than 75.

Other standout tunes: the opener, "Let It Rock", and another Chuck Berry rave-up on "Sweet Little Sixteen".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-16 21:35 by bassplayer617.

Re: "When The Whip Comes Down" Live 78
Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: January 16, 2005 21:31

i believe that ripping WTWCD is indeed the version that was used on sucking in the 70's, was it not!!??.....and i agree ---it may be one of the most ripping, insane guitar-laden live stones jams of all time.....and oh my god!!!----mick taylor is NOT ON IT!!!!!!!! HORRORS!!! how could they possibly pull it off without him!!!!???? hee hee hee

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 16, 2005 21:37

Yes, the "Handsome Girls" version from Detroit 78 (4:59) has been released officially on "Sucking In The 70s" in an edited and shortened form (4:25)

Date: January 16, 2005 21:43

You may be right, lunar, but I like the raw version on "HG" better. I've listened to it repeatedly, and they absolutely nail the breakdown on this one. I'll rank this performance right up there with the Wembley 73 version of "Gimme Shelter" as a highpoint of the Stones' live career.

Date: January 16, 2005 21:47

Hang on, midnrambler, I think the version I'm referring to is on disc 1 of HG, which is from Ft. Worth. Lemme check on this. Ok, yes, it is indeed on disc 3, the 5:23 version from Detroit. For release on "Sucking in the 70s" it was edited considerably. This was a mistake. The unedited original is much better, IMHO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-16 21:54 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: January 16, 2005 22:06

why on earth would they edit an absolutely earthshaking jam like this ??? WHY?? it is just plain stupid not to let the people hear it in its natural state!!.....and the mix is dynamite on HG--much better than any official lp.....that tour WAS incredible..even without mick taylor!! (smirk) sorry....

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Date: January 16, 2005 22:16

Lunar, I can't answer that editing question, but I gotta mention that it was my good friend Kyle who provided me with copies of the HG set. I've asked about him in another thread. Where has he gone?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 16, 2005 22:42

Why would they edit the version? Well, nobody really knows this. Because they edit or overdub ALL official live releases (on CD)...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 16, 2005 22:43

Yeah where is Kyle?!?!?! He is always fun!

When i heard the handsome girls set for the first time i was absolutely blown away. It's just pure rock 'n roll! Great guitars, true weaving and Jagger for some reason sings far better then there previous and following tour.

I love Miss You and Beast of Burden on Handsome girls!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: January 16, 2005 23:26

I would offer an opinion on the true worth of the HG collection which some would regard as heresy--that this is a better true representation of what the Stones live experience should be rather than the hallowed Brussels/Wembley shows. Arguably, the 1973 shows were more of a showcase for the talent of Mick Taylor as a lead guitarist/solo artist rather than as a showcase or benchmark for the Rolling Stones as a band. Let the fireworks begin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-16 23:31 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 17, 2005 08:34

It is certainly more representative of the Stones original stripped down sound in the early days of Brian Jones - only more updated with slight punk and disco influences here and there.
I think it is the only Ron Wood era bootleg that can actually be compared favourably with the Taylor era bootlegs, but in reality it's a long way behind.
It's stripped down and it's fun but the Stones really were on another level with Taylor in the group.
Bassplayer i take your point about the Brussels show and the dominance of Taylor but i think that is what really does put it in a different league to the 78 tour.
The Stones were not all sophistication and guitar solos either - they also rocked harder than any time since - check out Bitch ant Little Queenie from the Australian 73 tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home