Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
My Hat Is Off To Ronnie
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:10

As a regular Ron Wood critic on these pages I have to be fair and say that Mr. Wood's playing in these five shows sparkled. Happy, Dead Flowers, and Before They Make Me Run from last night are particular standouts. His playing overall had the energy, passion, confidence, and clarity that I felt was missing from many past tours. I will always prefer the Taylor era of the Stones, and Taylor's playing to Ronnie's on any of the songs from that era performed live, but I have to give credit where it's due and say that I really enjoyed Ronnie's playing more than I have in a very long time. Combined with Keith's renewed focus and Taylor's appearance, this was a treat for Stones guitar fans.

Re: My Hat Is Off To Ronnie
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:17

Indeed, RW was very good. For the first time since 1995 I heard him playing structured.

Date: December 16, 2012 23:18

windmelody
Indeed, RW was very good. For the first time since 1995 I heard him playing structured.

Yep! Much less meandering and getting lost. Hardly any of that random picking way up high on the neck (uh, oh. I'm sounding like a critic again...)

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:25

I dont know tele, are you sure going into to winter is the
best time to be taking off you hat? Wont your head get cold? winking smiley

RONNIE "WEDDING BELLS" WOOD!!!! smileys with beer WORLDS GREATEST ROCK STAR!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 23:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stringpull ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:25

His b bender playing was great. Trust a Pro.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:27

71Tele
but I have to give credit where it's due

And I thank you for doing so

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:28

Much more professional and concentrating on his playing.

No booze and no dope goes a long way towards putting on a great, great show.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:30

and mine too..

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:30

71Tele
As a regular Ron Wood critic on these pages I have to be fair and say that Mr. Wood's playing in these five shows sparkled. Happy, Dead Flowers, and Before They Make Me Run from last night are particular standouts. His playing overall had the energy, passion, confidence, and clarity that I felt was missing from many past tours. I will always prefer the Taylor era of the Stones, and Taylor's playing to Ronnie's on any of the songs from that era performed live, but I have to give credit where it's due and say that I really enjoyed Ronnie's playing more than I have in a very long time. Combined with Keith's renewed focus and Taylor's appearance, this was a treat for Stones guitar fans.

I agree with everything you said...

ps
I wish that both of us had been able to accept Blackdog's amazing gift last night!

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: December 16, 2012 23:31

Yes, Ronnie was brilliant! Very creative and hot on the fills and licks and tweets and twists and turns, I love his style when he's on.

Date: December 17, 2012 00:45

Max'sKansasCity

Especially today, Max. And I left my favorite ballcap at the office. Woken up by the smoke alarms at 4:30 AM. A little furnace crisis, no resolved (happily).

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:47

Nice to hear him cutting it indeed. He is the natural-born teamplayer and, as such, best in a setting (indoor venue/stripped-down arrangements) where the musicians actually can hear each other and feed off of each other

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:49

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Especially today, Max. And I left my favorite ballcap at the office. Woken up by the smoke alarms at 4:30 AM. A little furnace crisis, no resolved (happily).

Ouch, what a way to wake up, that will ruin your whole day even if it gets resolved.... hope it is all good now. stay safe man.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:17

I have never seen Ronnie play with as much gusto and energy as he did on "Happy" last night. He was literally jumping out of his seat, kicking out some amazing licks, almost challenging Keith on who should dominate this song. Probably my favorite post-Taylor/70's performance of the song ever.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:36

71Tele

thumbs up

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:42

71Tele
windmelody

Yep! Much less meandering and getting lost. Hardly any of that random picking way up high on the neck (uh, oh. I'm sounding like a critic again...)

Yeah, know what you mean by randon picking on the high end. I have often thought Woodly sometimes tries too hard for a tough sound with the Stones, whereas his playing with the Faces was relaxed and musical.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:43

It's funny. I was talking with a recovered alcoholic. I commented that Eric Clapton didn't handle sobriety, as his guitar playing fell apart when he stopped drinking in the 90s and he never recovered. Meanwhile Ronnie is going the opposite route and getting better and better.

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:47

Is Mick Taylor a better guitarist than Ronnie Wood in 2012? I know he was better back in the 1970s

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:08

Good post Tele. Ronnie certainly has had a late career sobriety renaissance! He is playing very well, and did fantastically last night. I just wish they would have gotten the bloody mix right and consistent. On TV the guitars kept going in and out of the mix. At first Ronnie was very hard to hear, then it got better, and then on some songs hard to hear. But that's not Ronnie's fault and he was stellar. Some very tasteful leads, especially on Happy, Dead Flowers, and Wild Horses. Even on Midnight Rambler he let loose with some fantastic playing. Great to see the Stones invigorated and playing well.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:12

Ronnie was awesome, I agree...less goofing off, more concentrated and obviously into the playing! Great to see and Ithought they were all generous to MT, letting him shine....and he did!

Date: December 17, 2012 03:27

whitem8
Good post Tele. Ronnie certainly has had a late career sobriety renaissance! He is playing very well, and did fantastically last night. I just wish they would have gotten the bloody mix right and consistent. On TV the guitars kept going in and out of the mix. At first Ronnie was very hard to hear, then it got better, and then on some songs hard to hear. But that's not Ronnie's fault and he was stellar. Some very tasteful leads, especially on Happy, Dead Flowers, and Wild Horses. Even on Midnight Rambler he let loose with some fantastic playing. Great to see the Stones invigorated and playing well.

Right, whitem8. I forgot to single out Wild Horses as well. Really tasty.

Date: December 17, 2012 03:27

schillid
71Tele

I agree with everything you said...

ps
I wish that both of us had been able to accept Blackdog's amazing gift last night!

Sigh...me too.

Date: December 17, 2012 03:28

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Ouch, what a way to wake up, that will ruin your whole day even if it gets resolved.... hope it is all good now. stay safe man.

I meant "now resolved". Scary, when that happens...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:29

I cheered pretty hard for this guy. He seems to have his shit together and my, my, my, how about him on Happy?

Date: December 17, 2012 03:30

mitchmitchell
Is Mick Taylor a better guitarist than Ronnie Wood in 2012? I know he was better back in the 1970s

A year ago I would have said yes. Now I would have to see they are just different. If Taylor could lay back a little more and pick his spots (like he managed to do in the last show) I think the 3-guitar lineup would work really well on most songs.

Posted by: John&Trish ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:00

Mick Taylor can not hold a candle to Ronnie Wood. Saw them both the last 2 shows.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:37

Was really happy to see Ronnie (and Keith) play so well. Mr. Wood was playing the best I had heard him since 1999. His guitar work was solid and really added to music. His lap steel on 'Happy' was great as were his solos on everything else. I admit I had thought he was past it and I'm glad to be proven wrong...

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:43

Honestly, I think Wood had a lot to do with Taylor coming back and playing with the band, A LOT......

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 17, 2012 07:19

Ronnie was great I really liked his playing on Start Me Up last night as well as Happy and before hey Make Me Run. Great to see all of the band in top form.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 09:07

as I live in France, I could not see these shows but I'm happy to hear that Ronnie was good and maybe better than on previous tours

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home