Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick Taylor guitar tab book
Posted by: MickTaylorfan27 ()
Date: January 20, 2015 05:38

TravelinMan
Cool! Happy from '72 or '73 and Bye Bye Johnny from '72 (Taylor on lead) would be two other recommendations in addition to Ventilator Blues. Do you have any others you were thinking of? Also, the Dylan era would be great too

Yeah, those two songs are great ideas! If I ever get around to doing another Mick/Stones book, I'll definitely add those! As far as his Dylan era, I plan on doing that for one of my next books.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 20, 2015 06:06

The 1969-1974 book is fantastic. A true labor of love. Really nice work Mike!

I'm expecting a YouTube video series which shows you ripping on all these parts soon. smoking smiley

peace

Date: January 20, 2015 09:45

Naturalust
The 1969-1974 book is fantastic. A true labor of love. Really nice work Mike!

I'm expecting a YouTube video series which shows you ripping on all these parts soon. smoking smiley

peace

Thanks for the kind words! Maybe someday I'll get around to doing some youtube videos!

Date: January 20, 2015 10:47

Speaking of youtube guitar stuff, I find this guy to be on the money with the few riffs I've checked out. He's got Stones stuff up there too but I thought I'd share this one since Dallas Taylor is on my mind today and I've always loved this intro.

peace

Date: January 21, 2015 11:11

For anyone who is interested, my new book is done - here is the link:

[mikejoiner-customguitartranscriptions.blogspot.com]

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 19:08

MickTaylorfan27
svt22
Just in case you got the time and feel like : for the hardcore Taylor fans it would be great if you could transcribe MT's "Spanish"/"A minor" from his '79 solo album "Mick Taylor", as well as his "Masters of war" lead guitar with Bob Dylan. Taylor is bigger than the Stones only: Vol.2

I did transcribe most of "Slow Blues" from his first solo album and I am also working on "Giddy-Up"

As far as Dylan songs, I transcribed the solos from "I and I", The solos from "Highway 61" and the solo to "Sweetheart Like You."

I know you've been busy with the John Mayall years vol 2 book, but I was just curious if you had done anymore from the '79 solo album?

achilles77
Personally I would love to see a tab book of his entire first solo album. I absolutely love that record. All great tunes. That would make a great book, and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 21, 2015 19:56

MickTaylorfan27
For anyone who is interested, my new book is done - here is the link:

Do you have some sample TAB?

Date: January 22, 2015 05:24

achilles77
I know you've been busy with the John Mayall years vol 2 book, but I was just curious if you had done anymore from the '79 solo album?

Hmm, I know I transcribed a couple songs from the self titled, about a couple years ago - I want to say I transcribed "Slow Blues" and "Giddy-Up" - I'll have to dig through my files and check for sure!

Koen
Do you have some sample TAB?

Actually, later tonight I am going to post some examples on my blog - I will keep you updated!

- Mike J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-22 05:25 by MickTaylorfan27.

Date: January 25, 2015 14:20

Ok everyone, check my blog again - I put up a few samples from the book!

Date: February 18, 2015 16:31

And if anyone is interested, I might be doing a Vol. 2 book for Mick's playing with The Stones.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: February 18, 2015 20:12

As you doubtless know, the first failed Mick Taylor transcriptions were by Deep Blue in early 1998, mere months after the computer proved worthy of such a task by finally defeating Garry Kasparov.
That you have somehow managed to publish such scholarship now is frankly, as disturbing as it is celebratory. On one hand is the sincere hope that after forty five years someone has at last achieved what many would describe as perhaps the single most important discovery of the modern scientic age. Could a Grand Unification Theory be next? On the other hand, one wonders if the transcriptions are but another cannard, like cold fusion.
Most of us, the vast majority in fact, are unable to divine the complexity of a Mick Taylor solo; the endles variety of trills, triplets, minor third triplets more trills, more minor third triplets and the occassional Dorian mode in a major key and finally, more trills and minor third triplets.
I myself will take your word it until I see the results of what will undoubtedly be an unprecedented deluge of examination.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: February 18, 2015 20:52

TonyMo
As you doubtless know, the first failed Mick Taylor transcriptions were by Deep Blue in early 1998, mere months after the computer proved worthy of such a task by finally defeating Garry Kasparov.
That you have somehow managed to publish such scholarship now is frankly, as disturbing as it is celebratory. On one hand is the sincere hope that after forty five years someone has at last achieved what many would describe as perhaps the single most important discovery of the modern scientic age. Could a Grand Unification Theory be next? On the other hand, one wonders if the transcriptions are but another cannard, like cold fusion.
Most of us, the vast majority in fact, are unable to divine the complexity of a Mick Taylor solo; the endles variety of trills, triplets, minor third triplets more trills, more minor third triplets and the occassional Dorian mode in a major key and finally, more trills and minor third triplets.
I myself will take your word it until I see the results of what will undoubtedly be an unprecedented deluge of examination.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 18, 2015 21:12

MickTaylorfan27
And if anyone is interested, I might be doing a Vol. 2 book for Mick's playing with The Stones.

Does the first book have any Stones songs in it ?

If you want to share the slide solo of Love in Vain from GYYYO, that would be great!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 18, 2015 22:06

TonyMo

Dorian mode in a major key? So resolving on the second note of a major scale; that wouldn't sound right. What the hell is a "minor 3rd triplet"? A minor third is an interval and a triplet requires three notes. You fail, sir.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-18 22:06 by TravelinMan.

Date: February 18, 2015 23:22

TravelinMan
TonyMo

Dorian mode in a major key? So resolving on the second note of a major scale; that wouldn't sound right. What the hell is a "minor 3rd triplet"? A minor third is an interval and a triplet requires three notes. You fail, sir.

I fail, you are exactly right sir! And in proving me a failure you make my point; it is nigh well impossible for anyone but the most agile mind to grasp the the sheer complexity of a Mick Taylor solo. Difficulty compounded is not my forte. Lacking the reach necessary for such grasp I'm afraid I've latched onto the rudiment. I'm merely trying to compensate for woeful ignorance when I invent such terms as 'minor third triplet' for a Taylor-ish phrase that descends down a major second then down once again a minor third before repeating itself on another one of five different notes numerous times; or 'Dorian major' by where the phrase begins on the second note of a major scale then ascends or descends in perfectly placed eighth notes like a metronome, right in the dead center of the beat; resolving not on the major second as you suggest but on the next chord in the progression. That you do not grasp this?...know sir, you are not alone. Mick Taylor is not understood so much as he is felt. Mere mortal's that we are I ask, how can we be expected but to expect that we will fall short? Do as I do and listen to Mick Taylor's otherwordly excursions on 'Midnight Rambler' from Brussels 1973 while simultaneously reading about Schrodinger's Cat. One will seem so simple minded, repetitive and tasteless it does not beggar comparison.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-18 23:29 by TonyMo.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 19, 2015 00:34

TonyMo
I fail, you are exactly right sir! And in proving me a failure you make my point; it is nigh well impossible for anyone but the most agile mind to grasp the the sheer complexity of a Mick Taylor solo. Difficulty compounded is not my forte. Lacking the reach necessary for such grasp I'm afraid I've latched onto the rudiment. I'm merely trying to compensate for woeful ignorance when I invent such terms as 'minor third triplet' for a Taylor-ish phrase that descends down a major second then down once again a minor third before repeating itself on another one of five different notes numerous times; or 'Dorian major' by where the phrase begins on the second note of a major scale then ascends or descends in perfectly placed eighth notes like a metronome, right in the dead center of the beat; resolving not on the major second as you suggest but on the next chord in the progression. That you do not grasp this?...know sir, you are not alone. Mick Taylor is not understood so much as he is felt. Mere mortal's that we are I ask, how can we be expected but to expect that we will fall short? Do as I do and listen to Mick Taylor's otherwordly excursions on 'Midnight Rambler' from Brussels 1973 while simultaneously reading about Schrodinger's Cat. One will seem so simple minded, repetitive and tasteless it does not beggar comparison.

Thank you for attempting to clear that up as only a mere mortal can hope to. You inspire the world with your charitable contributions.

Date: February 19, 2015 02:24

I assure you, it's my pleasure.

Date: February 19, 2015 03:13

TonyMo

Haha, I just transcribed what he played. cool smiley

I'm pretty confident everything is accurate, I slowed everything way way down and went over it several times. Then when I was sure the notes were right, I spent a good 2 or 3 month alone, just making sure the positions were correct.

Koen
Does the first book have any Stones songs in it ?

The first book is only stones songs - 28 of them.

Date: February 19, 2015 05:03

TonyMo thanks for the laugh, you have a way with words. Since Mick Taylor plays by ear and doesn't really know music theory, he'd probably be equally lost at most technical analysis of his playing. smoking smiley peace

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: February 19, 2015 07:39

Mike

I will be buying Vol 2 of Mick T with the Stones....when it's ready!!

I bought Vol 1 and it was great...

Paul

Date: February 20, 2015 15:10

Thanks. Anyone who is a fan of his playing in general (and not just with The Stones) should click the link below and check out the new book I just released. It has some of his best guitar playing in these songs.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:02

For anyone that is interested, My new Mick/Stones book is all finished!!! Check it out here:

Date: August 28, 2015 14:40

Thanks to everyone who purchased this so far. To those who haven't checked it out yet, here is the tracklisting:

1. 100 Years Ago (Live in Vienna, 1973) (Outro Solo Only)
2. All Down The Line (Live in Houston, 1972) (1st Verse through Guitar Solo, Outro Solo)
3. Angie (Live in Brussels, 1973) (Guitar Solo Only)
4. Brown Sugar (Live in Norfolk, 1972) (Guitar Solo, Chorus, Chorus, Outro Solo)
5. Dancing With Mr. D (Live in Brussels, 1973) (Chorus, Guitar Solo, Chorus)
6. Dead Flowers (Live at Leeds, 1971) (All lead guitar)
7. Gimme Shelter (Live in Ft. Worth, 1972) (Whole Song)
8. Happy (Live in Philadelphia, 1972) (Guitar Solo Only)
9. Heartbreaker (Live in London, 1973) (Both Guitar Solos)
10. Hillside Blues (Unreleased, 1969) (All Guitar Solos)
11. Honky Tonk Women (Live at The Roundhouse, 1971) (1st Verse, Chorus, 2nd Verse, Chorus)
12. If You Can't Rock Me (from It's Only Rock 'n Roll) (Guitar Solo Only)
13. I'm Free (Live in Oakland, 1969) (2nd Verse, Chorus, Guitar Solo)
14. Jumping Jack Flash (Live in Houston, 1972) (Guitar Solo Only)
15. Love In Vain (Live in Ft. Worth, 1972, 2nd show) (Whole Song)
16. Midnight Rambler (Live at The Roundhouse, 1971) (Guitar Solo, 5th Verse, 6th Verse, 2nd Guitar solo)
17. Moonlight Mile (from Sticky Fingers) (Outro Solo Only)
18. No Expectations (Live in Hyde Park, 1969) (Guitar Solo, Outro Solo)
19. Rocks Off (Live in Ft. Worth, 1972, 2nd show) (Bridge Only)
20. Rip This Joint (Live in Philadelphia, 1972) (Outro Solo Only)
21. Satisfaction (Live in New York, 1969) (Guitar Solo Only)
22. Stop Breaking Down (from Exile On Main St.) (Outro Solo Only)
23. Stray Cat Blues (Live in Essen, 1970) (Chorus, Guitar Solo, Chorus)
24. Street Fighting Man (Live in Philadelphia, 1972) (Guitar Solo, Outro Solo)
25. Sympathy For The Devil (Live in Cologne, 1970) (Guitar Solo Only)
26. Tops (from Tattoo You) (Outro Solo Only)
27. Tumbling Dice (Live in Brussels, 1973) (Guitar Solo, Outro Solo)
28. You Can't Always Get What You Want (Live in Philadelphia, 1972) (Whole Song)

And here's a link to hear all of the songs:

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 14:42 by MickTaylorfan27.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home