Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

PPV review Newark Dic 15
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:48

We can all agree Mick Jagger found himself and his voice on this 50th anniversary tour... His voice sounded like 78' or even 73'. Jagger was the spine of this show for sure; and for a 69 yearold he sure made Lady Gaga almost pass out of exaustion on Gimme Shelter. I saw this on my Ipad, and hooked the thing on my stereo and blasted it full volume, the sound was pretty good. Many times during the show I wanted to shoot Darryl Jones, why? Here is why... his too good a player for this band, he was loud, amd his not Bill Wyman. Keith is playing and sounding better since 89'... Ronnie is a delight. Charlie played poorly and they pretty much screwed much of the song endings but that's not a big deal, the stones are a garage band, thats why Darryl JOnes is not right for this lot. Lady Gaga tried but fell short, enjoyed her fake ass, John Mayer and Gary clark jr were awesome with the band on "I'm going Down" ... Enjoyed the Black Keys very much on "Who do you love" Springsteen sucked but his solo on guitar was good... The highlight of the night was Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor and I think the Stones are enyojing playing with him too, boy was that great or what? The warhorses made me make some phone calls ... I think the Stones sound great on some tunes and hit that Stones magic but on others they miss it and it shows.... Nevertheless great event, Jagger on top form and singing better since Steel Wheels. Keith wasn't that good on the guitar solos but his rythm was awesome. Hope they go on tour next year, I would fly to any gigs for a decent price.

The end

Re: PPV review Newark Dic 15
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:55

I agree with alot of what you said. Mayer and Clark Jr. would have been fantastic on Respectable.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:39

Thank you

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 17, 2012 07:47

Loudei - I agree with some of what you say. I thought Keith's solo on Sympathy was pretty good as was 'm Going Down. Charlie I thought was great. Midnight Rambler was awesome!!

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: December 17, 2012 08:25

My review:

Mick's voice sounds nothing like 73 or 78 in my opinion. It's thiner, has almost no growl, but he uses it extremely well and reaches high notes which he's not reached in years or ever - very impressive and enjoyable. As for his dancing and body language, I thought he was more relaxed, less forced than on the previous three shows (based on poor youtube vids), and therefore excellent. Fantastic night for Jagger.

Ronnie, indeed, was the biggest surprise of the night. I've always liked Ronnie, but did not expected the 'delicacy' of his fills on Wild Horses or Dead Flowers, his punch on Midnight Rambler (the moment when Taylor re-enters on his solo is great), and overall the quality of his funky, raggedy playing where solo and riff are merged - trademark Ronnie at his best.

Keith, obviously, has lost some abilities; but having regained a lot of honesty and lucidity, he makes the best of what he's got and manages to still project his amazing feeling. On some songs (Gimme Shelter) it still sounds a bit thin, on others he was amazing - SMU, JJF. When he is so keen on delivering, so focused and therefore endearing, it would seem ridiculous to blame the man for simply being old and having arthritis; it's just great to enjoy his magic touch once again.

Charlie, patchy in parts, solid in general, very comitted, very good on GS for instance.

Darryl & Chuck: honestly, great. True, Darryl is very loud and Chuck omnipresent. It is obvious that they have constructed a solid "backing track" in case the guitarists fail; and when they actually deliver (as yesterday) sometimes you wish they'd take a back seat. But I accept that this kind of "guitar insurance" is now needed, and although I could take issue with the style of the players, I found them very likeable so was willing to go with it. Darryl has amazing moments and others when he plays like a computer. Chuck sounds more "real" on organ than piano, and has a damn good voice.

Guests were all great, although the Black Keys I found underwhelming. Lady Gaga was fun and that's it. Bruce, immensely likeable but vocally ugly, it's a pity that he was not featured on a song that suited his voice better.

Highlights of the show: lots! The syncopated GOOMC, the heart-rendering Wild Horses, the gorgeous Miss You with lots of space, the white-hot Start Me Up where the whole stadium is smiling and enjoying themselves, a slow, mean and pulsing JJF with Keith very very committed and Jagger singing like a devil.

Low points: who cares? OK just for the record I thought Satisfaction and Brown Sugar did not really find their groove. Big deal really. Fantastic show!

Date: December 17, 2012 08:51

Loudei
We can all agree Mick Jagger found himself and his voice on this 50th anniversary tour... His voice sounded like 78' or even 73'. Jagger was the spine of this show for sure; and for a 69 yearold he sure made Lady Gaga almost pass out of exaustion on Gimme Shelter. I saw this on my Ipad, and hooked the thing on my stereo and blasted it full volume, the sound was pretty good. Many times during the show I wanted to shoot Darryl Jones, why? Here is why... his too good a player for this band, he was loud, amd his not Bill Wyman. Keith is playing and sounding better since 89'... Ronnie is a delight. Charlie played poorly and they pretty much screwed much of the song endings but that's not a big deal, the stones are a garage band, thats why Darryl JOnes is not right for this lot. Lady Gaga tried but fell short, enjoyed her fake ass, John Mayer and Gary clark jr were awesome with the band on "I'm going Down" ... Enjoyed the Black Keys very much on "Who do you love" Springsteen sucked but his solo on guitar was good... The highlight of the night was Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor and I think the Stones are enyojing playing with him too, boy was that great or what? The warhorses made me make some phone calls ... I think the Stones sound great on some tunes and hit that Stones magic but on others they miss it and it shows.... Nevertheless great event, Jagger on top form and singing better since Steel Wheels. Keith wasn't that good on the guitar solos but his rythm was awesome. Hope they go on tour next year, I would fly to any gigs for a decent price.

The end

I agree with you on Daryl. I thought he ruined The Last Time.

Date: December 17, 2012 08:53

otonneau
My review:

Mick's voice sounds nothing like 73 or 78 in my opinion. It's thiner, has almost no growl, but he uses it extremely well and reaches high notes which he's not reached in years or ever - very impressive and enjoyable. As for his dancing and body language, I thought he was more relaxed, less forced than on the previous three shows (based on poor youtube vids), and therefore excellent. Fantastic night for Jagger.

Ronnie, indeed, was the biggest surprise of the night. I've always liked Ronnie, but did not expected the 'delicacy' of his fills on Wild Horses or Dead Flowers, his punch on Midnight Rambler (the moment when Taylor re-enters on his solo is great), and overall the quality of his funky, raggedy playing where solo and riff are merged - trademark Ronnie at his best.

Keith, obviously, has lost some abilities; but having regained a lot of honesty and lucidity, he makes the best of what he's got and manages to still project his amazing feeling. On some songs (Gimme Shelter) it still sounds a bit thin, on others he was amazing - SMU, JJF. When he is so keen on delivering, so focused and therefore endearing, it would seem ridiculous to blame the man for simply being old and having arthritis; it's just great to enjoy his magic touch once again.

Charlie, patchy in parts, solid in general, very comitted, very good on GS for instance.

Darryl & Chuck: honestly, great. True, Darryl is very loud and Chuck omnipresent. It is obvious that they have constructed a solid "backing track" in case the guitarists fail; and when they actually deliver (as yesterday) sometimes you wish they'd take a back seat. But I accept that this kind of "guitar insurance" is now needed, and although I could take issue with the style of the players, I found them very likeable so was willing to go with it. Darryl has amazing moments and others when he plays like a computer. Chuck sounds more "real" on organ than piano, and has a damn good voice.

Guests were all great, although the Black Keys I found underwhelming. Lady Gaga was fun and that's it. Bruce, immensely likeable but vocally ugly, it's a pity that he was not featured on a song that suited his voice better.

Highlights of the show: lots! The syncopated GOOMC, the heart-rendering Wild Horses, the gorgeous Miss You with lots of space, the white-hot Start Me Up where the whole stadium is smiling and enjoying themselves, a slow, mean and pulsing JJF with Keith very very committed and Jagger singing like a devil.

Low points: who cares? OK just for the record I thought Satisfaction and Brown Sugar did not really find their groove. Big deal really. Fantastic show!

No doubt Mick has been working on his voice since the last tour. He sounded fantastic.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 17, 2012 09:00

Get Off Of My Cloud - Fun track. A little rough but Ronnie was playing beautifully. Guitars too low in the mix.

The Last Time - WEAK. LAME. This is one of my all time favorite Stones songs. The version in 97/98 was FANTASTIC. This was more like the original and had that jazzy/Ringo beat instead of the train-going-down-the-tracks pacing of the 97/98 version

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll - Just fine. Good warmup song.

Paint It Black - Great version.

Gimme Shelter (with Lady Gaga) - All about the vocals. Gaga did just fine but looked stupid and detracted from the song. Bad choice but I'm sure it added a few thousand viewers to the PPV.

Wild Horses - Why not Moonlight Mile? As Tears Go By?

Going Down (with Gary Clark Jr. and John Mayer) - Great performance but they should have split this up! Put Mayer in the set on Respectable!! HE NAILED THAT.

Dead Flowers - I'll take it. Let It Bleed or Around and Around would have been far better.

Who Do You Love (with the Black Keys) - This was a wasted opportunity in my opinion. Almost any other song would have worked better, but atleast they did a blues. Did anyone else find it funny that Mick forgot that they played this with Bo Diddley?? And he said he thought it was the first time they had played it live! HA! Senior moment apparently. Probably one of those moments where fans remember it better than the musicians...

Doom and Gloom - Love it! Need more guitars in the mix! Sound guy loves Darryl more than Keef/Ronnie.

One More Shot - The song just isn't any good. Had It With You, Under The Radar, She's So Cold, anything would be better here.

Miss You - Tired of it. So very tired of it.

Honky Tonk Women - Great song, nothing new here tonight.

Before They Make Me Run - FANTASTIC. Keith, best version of this song I have ever heard. Hats off to ya.

Happy - Where is the Keith solo? Just a little lick, nothing serious. Really wanted him to tear this one up.

Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor) - HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT. Nuff said.

Start Me Up - They should open up every show with this just to get it out of the way. I can't even begin to count how many times I hear someone in the audience say "here we go" when Keith hits the opening riff. As if the show hasn't started til they hear that.

Tumbling Dice (with Bruce Springsteen) - Bruce did not add anything to this. Love to see him smile, but he did contribute. The fish dance at the end cracked me up though.

Brown Sugar - Great version, but the guitars are still too dang soft in the mix.

Sympathy For The Devil - The first Keith riff is the highlight. After that I'm bored. I know it remains a favorite for a ton of people, but I wish they'd play something different.

You Can't Always Get What You Want - Ronnie's solo is the only reason I listen to this song. The choir is just fine.

Jumping Jack Flash - Boring.

Satisfaction - Boring.

Seriously guys I LOVE this band, but I'll take the bootlegs of the show on the 13th with Around and Around and Respectable to this whole show. Apparently I can no longer be entertained by the same songs for every single show.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 17, 2012 11:05

What was really great about this show was that I saw the Stones play a little outside their usual box. They were less stiffer than other recent tours.

"YCAGWYW" really impressed me. THis, being a song, that hasn't moved me in any tour in recent memory. Snooze fest on almost every tour. Last night, we saw Mick on acoustic guitar (nice touch), singing beautifully throughout the song, Keith solid on some delicate rhythm and Ronnie pulling off an exquisite solo--one that I've never heard this melodic and focused. The cherry on top was the seemingly impromptu "yeah" call back Mick did with Bernard and Lisa. That's some 70's sh*t right there. Them having fun, loosening up, taking the creases out of their shirts and letting loose. It was so great to see that again. A lot of the warhorses did NOT feel like they were being played on auto-pilot. They had some personality again and they felt vibrant once more.

This was a show for the ages: a shining moment; another jewel in their crown. Can't wait for this on an official DVD so I can enjoy in 5.1..in all its glory.

Re: PPV review Newark December 15
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 17, 2012 12:09

Justin
What was really great about this show was that I saw the Stones play

And that was enough for me

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: mjaggergirl ()
Date: December 20, 2012 16:25

To those with negative comments:

I completely enjoyed the show, the spirit of the audience, and the great energy in the building....and of the whole weekend for that matter! It is a shame that instead of being thankful for such a great event, that you feel the need to nitpick and be so negative. I feel badly for you - get off my cloud!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-20 16:37 by mjaggergirl.

Date: December 20, 2012 16:41

mjaggergirl
I completely enjoyed the show, the spirit of the audience, and the great energy in the building....and of the whole weekend for that matter! It is a shame that instead of being thankful for such a great event, that you feel the need to nitpick and be so negative. I feel badly for you - get off my cloud!

-------------------

Date: December 20, 2012 16:43

LOL mjaggergirl, I now see that you just added the comment To those with negative comments:
So of course you are not talkin' to me smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 20, 2012 16:59

i agree with about 1/3 of what you say....more or less every third word, with occasional exceptions.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 20, 2012 17:05

better than recent Wrestlemanias, but nowhere near as exciting as golden era Wrestlemanias.

Date: December 20, 2012 17:08

meanwhile, i did some scoring on flacvinyl's review and i find that i agree with about 60 percent of that...roughly 3 out of every 5 words. not bad for one of iorr's young 'uns....

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: December 20, 2012 17:17

"Charlie played poorly" ?!?!?!?!?!

Are you kidding?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:09

flacnvinyl
Before They Make Me Run - FANTASTIC. Keith, best version of this song I have ever heard.

Really? I thought Keith's vocals were pretty weak.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:18

'Who Do You Love' was played with the wrong guest. It would have worked FAR better with Springsteen and would have suited him much better than Tumbling dice did (a great song but whilst it was a fun performance it was an awful choice for a duet). A bad pair of song/guest selections.

Bruce has played Who Do You Love, Mona and Not Fade Away down the years as a 'medley' with 'She's The One' and its worked superbly. Had the Stones chosen that one to play with him it would have lifted the roof off the place. A big opportunity missed.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:21

I'm looking forward to the BluRay! LOUD!

Date: December 20, 2012 18:34

Gazza
'Who Do You Love' was played with the wrong guest. It would have worked FAR better with Springsteen and would have suited him much better than Tumbling dice did (a great song but whilst it was a fun performance it was an awful choice for a duet). A bad pair of song/guest selections.

Bruce has played Who Do You Love, Mona and Not Fade Away down the years as a 'medley' with 'She's The One' and its worked superbly. Had the Stones chosen that one to play with him it would have lifted the roof off the place. A big opportunity missed.

may i respond?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:53

Bruce, who I love, doesn't have the groove needed for that song. He's great with his own stuff, and he can groove, but its not the Stonesy groove...he's not loose enough.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 20, 2012 18:56

First, the PPV mix was terrible. From all accounts by folks who where there for the show, the guitars were nice and loud in the mix. However, the PPV mix was shoddy. The guitars initially were very low in the mix. Then as the show progressed they got better, but never loud enough for a guitar driven band. There were times they crept out of the mix and you realized that both Ronnie and Keith were playing great.

The show itself was fantastic. The more stripped down stage let you focus on the most important aspect of their stage show, The Rolling Stones. The lighting and lips were very well done, giving beautiful accents along with songs. All of the Stones were in the zone and playing very well. Ronnie was a revelation, and reminded me of when he was a fantastic live lead player for The Stones. He added very tasteful licks throughout the show, and when needed he let his guitar hit the full Faces growl that is his trademark. Particularly, he played some beautiful leads in Dead Flowers, and was fantastic on the peddle steel for Happy. Keith rose from the ashes (his father's?) and smacked back at all those nay sayers who said he was done. He couldn't play, his fingers, he's too old, had health problems, posses too much, gloom and doom indeed! But he came out focused and showed the world that he is still in the game for one more shot. He jettisoned the posing in favor of contemplative focus on his axe, and played his heart out. Yeah, sure some bum notes, but all in all he played wonderfully. And he was in fantastic voice as well. When he walked to the mike for Wild Horses and sang along with Mick on the chorus I was reminded of why those boys are the Glimmer Twins. His vocals on Happy and Before You Make Me Run were soulful, strong, and he played his guitar while giving a passionate vocal performance. Another slap at the Mayan doom vultures who love to circle this forum. Charlie was locked in tight with Keith, and played his hear out on a small no frills kit. As if to say, "yup I don't need a fancy kit to show you youngsters how rock can swing!" And he did swing. Wonderful and less predictable than previous tours. He varied his playing and made the engine room hum. And then there is Sir Mick. The man was unstoppable, and sang with a vigor and panache rarely seen from him on stage. He reigned in his prancing and actually sang! Sang full from the diaphragm holding notes, and adding lovely nuanced accents. As Stonesnow observed, for one of the only times live he actually completed the vocal stanza on Start Me Up. His vocals on every song were spot on, and in the pocket. And the man was enjoying himself! He had that sly smile as if to say, "yeah, we're still here!" This was a celebration of all that is lovely with The Rolling Stones, their music, passion and swagger, delivered for a 50 year cherry on top. What's your favorite flavor? Cherry Red? Yeah, Mick, you know it!

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: December 20, 2012 20:30

Very nice reviews. I had a hard time hearing Keith's vocals on the PPV, but maybe that was just me. There are some sounds I just can't hear any more.

Another cool thing was the drummers at the beginning of the show. It was a great way to heighten the anticipation before the band finally appeared. And it worked very well with opening number.

Also, I noticed when the Black Keys were on stage Patrick Carney never seemed to take his eyes off Charlie (almost as if he were afraid to miss a beat). Meanwhile, Charlie was as nonchalant as you can be and I don't think ever looked over at Patrick.

The entire show was just great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home