Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
four flicks' magic moments..
Posted by: animal ()
Date: January 16, 2005 13:49

what is your most valuable and memorable moment on four flicks dvd

for me it is the boys playing estern grip in the rehearsal.
intime. you get close to them as musicials, honest groove and feel . look at charlie, looka at any them. thery are playing for themselves, not an audience..

Re: four flicks' magic moments..
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 16, 2005 14:00

For me it's the opening chords to Brown Sugar on the Twickenham disc. I love it to see all the people getting ready to scream and shout, then you see the lights go on, Keith comes out and starts the riff! This is always such a great moment!

Posted by: TT ()
Date: January 16, 2005 14:15

1. When they reharse Worried About You in the empty stadium, strolling in one after another...

2. When they drive back from the Palais Royale show, the scenes in the car...THAT´S intimate.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 16, 2005 16:13

I just watched it yesterday. The best things are That's How Strong My Love Is from Olympia and Can't Turn You Loose from Cirkus Krone IMO.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: January 16, 2005 16:15

Agree with TT, the Worried About You rehearsal and in the car after the Palais Royal are great. ("Maybe they can afford to put some air conditioning in now")

I also like the start of Stray Cat Blues with Ronnie and Keith playing the intro and then turning to look at Charlie for the drums to burst in. Then a couple of seconds later you catch a glimpse of Charlie and Ronnie smiling smugly at each other, like they were quite pleased with what they just done. I don't know why, but I realy enjoy that bit. I suppose it shows them for what they really are, a good rock and roll band playing their songs live!

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 16, 2005 18:43

The scene in the car after the Palais is great. Also the intro of Stray cat is cool because they rehearsed it during the soundcheck. You can see they're glad it went well.
The part during the intro of Love Train is also fun to watch. Keith and Mick joking around.

My favorite part must be I can't turn you loose. I love it when Charlie starts playing again after the second ending. You can see Keith and Darryl smiling. Mick walks of stage and returns and "go's nuts" all jumping around. Meanwhile Keith is just leaning back and laughing. GREAT MOMENT!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 17, 2005 01:16

They're past their prime for sure, but their not at all past their last sale date. What they make these days still rocks the pants of anybody I ever heard. But when I see "Tip Of The Tongue" when they're rehearsing "Happy" I can actually see why they say these things. It's just that when they're on stage it's completely different and then it also rocks completely.
Another fave part is where Keith joins the back-up singers and Blondie on piano. So cool.
My favourit part of all the rehearsals/soundchecks is when they play Midnight Rambler. With Mick lurking around in a black cloak shirt. And there's smoke on stage and all. Sheer magic.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 17, 2005 01:22

- the first lick of SFM Twickenham show (and the rest of the song)
- the Prague show flicks with Havel talking and all. always get me the shivers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-17 01:26 by Limbostone.

Posted by: StonesAustria ()
Date: January 17, 2005 06:14

Car interview with Keith in "Tip of the Tongue", when he talks about the beginning of their career, and then, referring to making music says: "It´s all I´m really good at."

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: January 17, 2005 16:05

No Expectation intro. Keef started first than Mick, priceless

Date: January 17, 2005 16:24

When Keith comes in early in the intro of Live With Me, playing the same lick as Daryl does in the next barre (Mick's grinning)

Also, when they're rehearsing Slave. Keith doesn't remember a single chord smiling smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 17, 2005 16:54

"Licks Around The World", from start to end.

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 18, 2005 15:38

I like the bit when Mick's introducing the band and Charlie says: I now like to sing, but Keith won't let me.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: January 18, 2005 15:45

Chuck's solo and a pose during Honky Tonk (MSG show)..smiling smiley

Okay, kidding.

All the shots of Lisa and of the Stones during the breaks,
walks, introductions, rehealsals, talks, etc. while they are not actually trying to perform.

- Doxa

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 18, 2005 15:59

I think they perform both pretty good!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 18, 2005 17:12

Lisa yes, she sounds and looks nice, the Stones mostly not. I hope when all is said and done, the legacy of the Stones will bot consist of the musical standards set by Four Licks.

- Doxa

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 18, 2005 17:32

Mmm... I meant something else with 'they' but since it was of such dubious level I'm glad it didn't come through! For the rest I completely agree.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 18, 2005 17:36

We love 'they'..

- Doxa

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 18, 2005 18:43

The breakdown bit on MR from the HBO show-- Mick goes, "let me hear you say Owww!" and Charlie hits the accent <blam!>. "Owww! <blam>" "Owww! <blam> " "Owww! <blam>" And then the camera focuses on Charlie, who has the sticks poised and he's laughing, as if "C'mon, I'm ready for ya". I love that moment.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 18, 2005 20:05

gotta be seeing myself at various times during the Wiltern songs.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 18, 2005 20:50

This thread brings back a lot of memories - I try not to overwatch 4F - but the rehearsal "How Can I Stop" is doo-wop/soul magic, & I agree about the studio jams, where the stones really relax & cook on Xtreme W. Grip & the other one...the documentaries, sometimes sel-serving, have some great really revealing moments. I like Ron during the MSG band intros, & his solo on CYHMK (much maligned in these parts), & Jagger's harp/Charlie's drumming on same, & MRambler (no horns, minimal piano) - just the master musicians effortlessly doing a dark blues/r & b/ rock & roll history show...

Date: January 18, 2005 21:57

I watched a part of of MSG show today, and yes, Ronnie's solo in CYHMK is done with a good taste (and lots of reverb), like Mick's harp solo.. the problem is the performance before those solos; it is a disgrace really.. Jagger's vocal and Richards' guitar are so weak and breathless that even 'autopilot' is too big word to describe their effort. I hope they never play it again; it's totally out of their league. I mean, if the glimmer twins don't work - no matter how beautifully any Wood plays - the Stones suck.

The problem with these hardcore-fan-pleasing-obscure-songs is that the guys don't know how to play them, don't have the feeling for them, and they are way too lazy or not interested to rehearse them properly, so the results are musically very poor. Even worse when they are documented to products like Four Licks. The same with "Hand of Fate", "Stray Cat Blues", "Heartbreaker", "Worried About You"...Nice ones "For Collectors Only", but I still want favourite band sound GOOD, a real rock and roll band, not a bunch of nukes trying half-heartedly to get through the songs knowing that they will never screw up so big time, because they have side musicians - lead by maestro Chuck - enough to cover their asses, and do the dirty work.. Jeez, I watched ROck&roll Circus the other day, and my god how great and hungry they were, although they weren't in their best form then.. they lived those songs. (sorry, not a fair comparison, but still..)

Yeah.. sometimes they still seem to nail it, like "That's How Strong My Love Is", but that's Jagger and the Las Vegas Orchestra..

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood now, and off topic really.

- Doxa

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 18, 2005 23:23

I agree with Doxa although i do wonder if it's a little unrealistic to expect any more from them now they are in their sixties.
I enjoyed the non music parts of Four Flicks the best - musically i think they still perform a convincing Midnight Rambler - maybe it is the structure of the song but the Stones always perform it well.

Date: January 19, 2005 00:02

Here we go again--I heard the same concerns before the 2002-03 tour. I held no great expectations then, and nor will I this time around. However, the community will once again divide into camps regarding the advisability of yet another world tour.

So, what's the mandatory retirement age for a rock n roll band? The first person to know when it's time to hang it up will be Mick. He keeps redefining what is regarded as "middle age", and his physical conditioning, as evidenced on FF, was nothing short of astounding.

Indeed, "Time Waits For No One", but I wouldn't dare be so presumptuous as to tell ANY of them that it's time to hang up their rock n' roll shoes.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: January 19, 2005 00:11

There are so many good ones but I have a sort of simple one.

There is no greater joy for me than kick butt R&R. Neibours in this case. Something sorefully lacking in flat out R&R these days is the front man making like a front guy. I mean calling the shots. The song is screeming along and the front man calls out for screeming guitar, then ques the next verse with a vocal que and later calls for some screeming sax.

Kick butt R&R and the front man calling the shots...it adds to the energy and it does'nt get any better than that.

Date: January 19, 2005 00:24

This is the thing, mark--I read too many comments from community members that focus on the negatives, like a bad work boss does, and ignore the good points.

You can call me a fanboy (which I am), but I'm not here to hurl insults at the band or its legacy.

However, if channeling negative energy here prevents others from insulting their spouse, boss, or kids, then have at it.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: January 19, 2005 01:36

Sorry basspalyer...was that meant for me? Was not sure of the context. I hope my selection of my favorite moment was not construde as a critisism. The point was I loved those small little call outs to the other band members the way it used to be and it helped take the song to another level for me. I just want more of the same.

Date: January 19, 2005 01:51

No, Mark, no criticism was directed at you--sorry if you took it that way.

I see many many great moments in FF, both in the performance and documentary sections. I think that some may been staged--Keith on the plane, when he says "Give me a screwdriver--throw in the hammer and the rest of the toolbox." It's a great soundbite, but it may have been contrived, like some of the stuff on that legendary "CS Blues" documentary from 72. I don't care, because we are given a voyeur's view of the Stones' reality, as they wish for us to see it.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 19, 2005 04:21

"Here we go again--I heard the same concerns before the 2002-03 tour. I held no great expectations then, and nor will I this time around. However, the community will once again divide into camps regarding the advisability of yet another world tour. "

Lighten up! Old geezers stll can make killer albums. Justen listen to "Don't Give Up On Me" by Solomon Burke (2002), which is a superb album by a guy who is older then the The Stones. Why shouldn't The Stones create an album that sounds as great as DGUOM? I'm sure their expercatations about new albums changed, they're not entirely stupid (in dutch: wereldvreemd), so no one needs to worry about fashionable singles, producers like The Dust Bros. etc. The know the marked has changed, especcially for the Stones. Just be patient...

Mr Edward

Ps Please don't mind the mistakes/faults, I'm, completely drunk now...

Posted by: charlystone ()
Date: January 19, 2005 04:30

all the four flicks is a magic moment!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1536
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home