Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bruce on Tumbling Dice
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:34

Springsteen reminded me of a team that is just happy to get the the Championship game. All smiles, but forgets to perform.

Bad song choice, terrible vocals.

Comparable to Dave Matthews on Memory Motel.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:36

jmo, but it looked like the other guests had practiced their songs with the band, except for bruce who just showed up & they winged it.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:55

I can't believe that Springsteen's performance is so hated here. You're all bloody mad.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:03

JumpingKentFlash
I can't believe that Springsteen's performance is so hated here. You're all bloody mad.

For some Stones fans, everyone else (Bruce, Macca, Beatles U2, Zep, whoever) is deemed a threat for some reason...and is therefore "hated" by default.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:20

I'm a big Bruce fan. He was clearly enjoying himself, and radiating his pleasure at being there.

On the other hand, he clearly looked like he was under-rehearsed and winging it. He spent most of the time singing looking down at the Teleprompter. His singing wasn't confident, and his guitar-playing, while good, wasn't up to what he can do.

Over at backstreets.com, the crowd isn't too awed with Bruce's performance. Pointing out that this wasn't Bruce's best performance doesn't undercut that he had a great time, and that his appearance with the Stones was fun.

(As to song choice, it might have been more fun if they had played another song they've both played, instead of one of the warhorses. They've both done a bunch of Chuck Berry songs; Little Queenie would have been great, for example.)

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:20

JumpingKentFlash

No, actually we're not. There appears to be a number of people that largely share the same view, which would essentially seem to be that he contributed nothing vocally, nothing in the way of playing, and generally dragged the song down.

But if what he did worked for you, then great. However for others, it didn't work at all.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 16, 2012 21:21

Jah Paul
JumpingKentFlash

For some Stones fans, everyone else (Bruce, Macca, Beatles U2, Zep, whoever) is deemed a threat for some reason...and is therefore "hated" by default.

It seems so. I can see that after jumping the fence yesterday.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:26

crumbling_mice
I love Bruce, but I don't think Tumbling Dice was the right song for him...he seemed to struggle with the singing. I would have thought something like Ruby Tuesday would have suited him better.

I think this is the most accurate reading. TD was not the right song. He clearly knew he was struggling with the vocal and being the pro he is, he tried best to cover it as best he could. Very odd that of all the wonderful things that happened last night, Bruce would be the one disappointment.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:26

paulywaul
JumpingKentFlash

No, actually we're not. There appears to be a number of people that largely share the same view, which would essentially seem to be that he contributed nothing vocally, nothing in the way of playing, and generally dragged the song down.

But if what he did worked for you, then great. However for others, it didn't work at all.

That was a bad song for Bruce....I don't care much for his music, but I was somehow
happy he showed up as it was in New Jersey, and everyone on stage...at least...was enjoying it....I think...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:29

Jah Paul
JumpingKentFlash

Absolute rubbish. As for me personally, of those you cite in the above example, luuuuuuuurv Macca, Beatles, Zep, and totally indifferent to Sprinsteeen and U2. Don't "hate" these artists per se, just .......... well basically "don't give a f**k about" about them would probably be the best way to put it.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:29

JumpingKentFlash
Don't worry, Bruce was just highly pleased to be there with the other Stones. The whinings can still whine, he is The Boss.After The Stones...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:34

JumpingKentFlash

Maybe some hate the performance or him. Personally, I didn't hate it - it just wasn't good. Expected better from him, especially after a pretty good showing on 12.12.12.

Date: December 16, 2012 21:39

paulywaul
Jah Paul
JumpingKentFlash

Absolute rubbish. As for me personally, of those you cite in the above example, luuuuuuuurv Macca, Beatles, Zep, and totally indifferent to Sprinsteeen and U2. Don't "hate" these artists per se, just .......... well basically "don't give a f**k about" about them would probably be the best way to put it.

He wrote "some", not "all" Pauly. Don't think it was directed at you. There's no denying that some people here, are like that.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:43

My wife actually made the comment that she "felt sorry for him."

Not a Bruce hater-seen him a few times-and while it probably wasn't the best fit, he did seem genuinely happy to be there, albeit a bit awestruck.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:52

Bruce was great, his voice was totally fitting with this song and I for one was impressed and really enjoyed his performance. He was a good match with the Stones, befitting his name JUMP(ing Jack Flash, Rolling)STONE.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:57

Why would he want to up stage Mick, I'd be happy to share the stage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:45

Low part of the show ...
And Bruce looked like truck-driver who'd accidently wandered on stage

ROCKMAN

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:50

Rockman
Low part of the show ...

Its his boots!

Date: December 16, 2012 22:54

Rockman
Low part of the show ...

Was sure YOU liked it. Daddy's not angry. But he's disappointed.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:55

i loved it
exspecially the you gotta roll me duet part
love the cheering
tumbling dice is a cheer up song
it cheered up me
i smiled
bad vocals
i dont care
the band back was great
the cheer was huge
wish i have been there to cheer along with my boot

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 17, 2012 00:51

I quite like it other than the rather ridiculous looking strumming. I'm surprised he didn't break a string and injure himself or someone in the vicinity! The vocal play at the end was cool and added something IMHO.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:20

I loved the looseness of the version.
Sometimes I don't need well-rehearsed Rock n' Roll, just raucous fun.

Bruce looked like he was having a blast playing with these guys.
Who cares if it wasn't plotted out, rehearsed, and choreographed? Since when do we bitch about "looseness"?

Bruce Springsteen doesn't need to spend days rehearsing with The Rolling Stones.
IORR, bitches.
IORR.

(BTW, I hate Bruce Springsteen and will never pay one more dollar of my hard-earned money to see him live.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 01:21 by Kurt.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:25

Altough i'm a hardcore RS fan, I love Bruce too. Bruce is Stones fan and he was happy he could play there. It's not about who is better, it just music, not a competiotion. I saw Bruce twice this year and to be completly honest he was mindblowing like Stones were during B2B and Lick Tour.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:25

I'm a big fan of both. I own pretty much everything both have ever released. I've seen Bruce more times than I've seen the Stones (37 to 22).

The choice to have him play on Tumbling Dice made sense. Bruce's Leap of Faith on Lucky Town borrows generously from Tumbling Dice.

But Bruce's guest spot yesterday was disappointing. His vocal was tentative, and his guitar break indicated that he didn't know the chord changes.

Then again, I would prefer no guests. Just give me a top-shelf Stones show.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:28

Rockman
Low part of the show ...
You hit the nail on the head! An exercise in spasticity!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:33

Mayer and Clark made Bruce look like Justin Beaver...

Posted by: claremont29 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 01:57

I think Bruce was just trying to have some fun. I have all of Bruce's music and seen him many times,but he was out of his element with the Stones. Also, Tumbling Dice was not a great song for them to do. And although Bruce is from NJ (so Iam), the audience was a Rolling Stones audience and was not interested in seeing Bruce. Both the Stones and Bruce are great on their own, they should not be mixed together.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:17

I thought a "wild card" moment would be Bruce doing Gimme Shelter. I've heard Bruce doing covers of it before with Joe Grushecky & the House Rockers, several times in 1995.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 17, 2012 02:25

crumbling_mice
I love Bruce, but I don't think Tumbling Dice was the right song for him...he seemed to struggle with the singing. I would have thought something like Ruby Tuesday would have suited him better.

I am equally a Bruce & Stones fan, but last night Bruce didn't do it for me. Tumbling Dice was a poor song choice for him that did not showcase him well. He would have done better with Honk Tonk Women as he has performed this before on his own tours.

Posted by: John&Trish ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:35

Poor Bruce with the STONES!!!! He did try o hang in but forgot the lines...Sir Mick helped him out...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home