Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jones-Taylor-Wood-Wyman-Jones
Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: January 16, 2005 00:49

The subject could have been The Glimmer Twins. Read on.
Lts of talk on this site re who is better well here is a differnt take on the subject.
Brian left the band rael reason so we are led to beleive was his drug problems and his non productive state.But ask youself why he got to such a state . Brians band was the Rolling Stones his input was awesome in the days before his decline.
Pherhaps when the Glimmer twins started to get the credit for everthing that was coming out + the royaltys.This may have been the start of his decline.
Brian was replace by Mick Taylor. Micks playing style was very differnt to Brians so to compare is impossible. Brian added so much colour and scope to the boys in the 60s.Mick added lots of flowing guitars and played the blues with a diffent style. He was a master at the time when music was changing and he led the Stones into another era.
Mick left so we are led to beleive because he was unhappy and had drug problems.
He had reached the same point as Brian no credit for his input the Glimmer Twins still held all the cards.
Mick left to be replaced by Ronnie he added the fun in the early days and some great guitar not the same as Brian or Mick T but a differnt style again the boys rolled on. Now it seems Ronnie is sliding down the same route as Brian & Mick T
WE here he is not even at the recording sessions.
Bill has walked out saying he does not want to toue enymore. How many shows has he played since he left even across to the USA.
Is it possible he got fed up with the way things were working again no credit.
By the way Bills replacement is a very good Bass player but unlike Bill he adds little he is just a sideman.
How are we going to get a great album Im not sure.
A long time ago I read an artical by someone famous not sure who it was now but this is what he had to say,
While in the studio making his new album he went along to the Stones studio in the same building to finf 5 stones sat around knocking a number toghether.
He could not beleieve how they worked all 5 in toghether . Not bass on monday drums on sunday and so on.
By the end of the night he said that they had put down something really great.
It went from nothing to a great in one night knockin it around beetween the 5 boys.
Bill Charlie Ronnie Mick + Keith all in the studio working.thats how we will get something special.
But lets give credit where credits due.
Ronnie fight for it.
ps dont get me wrong I love the bloody Glimmer Twins

Re: Jones-Taylor-Wood-Wyman-Jones
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 16, 2005 00:58

I don't think Ronnie was chosen for his musicianship more his personality. Brian and Mick Taylor were more inspiring but also more troublesome.
Ronnie may have personal problems but i don't think it's a result of being a Rolling Stone. He has lasted 30 years already anyway so he's not doing so bad.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: January 16, 2005 02:50

I don't keep Ostriches yet.

A friend of mine considered doing so but then he thought better of it.

He has taken up taxidermy instead.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 16, 2005 18:49

hi,
1st it was brian who tried to rip off the other members in the beginning. in the early days brian would let the club managers know he was the bands leader and would try to take a little more for himself..the stones manager, andrew oldham knew brian couldn't write and he pushed mick/keef to write because brian at the time just wanted to be a star.. if brian wanted to write or even if he could have, we today see nothing to let us believe he ever did or his estate would have released it to make money! brian gave us the rolling stones and added to their great sound. just listen to ruby tuesday.

mick taylor was a relpacement, because the fact is that mick jagger even called up ronnie wood and ronnie lane of the faces picked up the phone call and jagger asked him if he thinks woodie would play for the stones. his replay was no i don't think so.. jagger never called again and woodie never knew he called.
m.taylor was great... the stones needed him i think more than they needed woodie. mt. refined their playing... just listed to wild horses, sway, winter, time waits for no one! but taylor left because his wife believed he was a star and he would do better on his own.. and if taylor could write like mick/keef where is taylor today... can't name any great songs he wrote can you?

ronnie wood is the true stone but he has a drinking problem.. not because he is a stone.. he even said that his father, grandfather, etc all had drinking problems.. sad and he is getting help..
the great news is that keef and mick are working together like they did in the old days, sixties, (exile) and i think they will put out the best album ever..

p.s. bill wyman, was picked by brian, because he had a great amp and a good job!!
not because they loved his outgoing personality..the real stones are and have always been mick, keef and charlie...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 16, 2005 19:05

I think it's very interesting why Bill left. He was on a dutch tv show called Wintertijd. In this program someone famous is being intervieuwed in a very relaxed way and there talking about there life and there favorite music and they show there favorite clips.
I love seeing Bill in an intervieuw because he is always very relaxed and you get the feeling he is honest and always telling something new. The intervieuwer asked why he left the stones. His reply was that he was fed up with the touring and they weren't doing something new everytime, it was just giving the same act over and over again. Also he said that he wasn't in it for the money because he could easily stay/come back during the Voodoo Lounge period.
I love the stones nowadays but i'm with Bill one hunderd procent when he says it is too bad there not doing something different. During the Licks tour all the papers in Holland were positve about the concerts but they always wrote that you shouldn't expect something different than all the other tours. I hate it when they write that but unfortunately it is true!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 16, 2005 19:21

hi wuudy,
i alway liked bill too and wished he never left but i think it is more his age.. he is almost 70 with girl problems.. but if you listen to some of his solo albums he put out.. they are bad!!! real bad.. thank god the stones didn't let him sing or write...ha! i also think its crap to say the stones don't do something different.. they are a rock n roll band and the only band in the world that has alway tried something different... they try country, blues, ballads,
fast and slow songs, experimentation..just listen to, continental drift or heaven. god, they even tried rap style songs...
bill is tired.... i think we would all be tired after 30 years... how many of you will stay with your same job and even position for over 20 years?
but to say the stones do the same old...well to me that is just crap...
and thank god that the licks tour was the same as the other stones tours...
the rolling stones have put on the greatest shows on earth, tour after tour..
i've seen everyone since 1975 and they have all been better than the one before!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 16, 2005 19:35

I'm not saying that i don't like it. I think it's the greatest show on earth!
I only meant to say that it is to bad they are being critisized for putting on the "same" show for lets say the last 15 years. How on earth can come up with something new for forty years, it's imposibble. That's why i don't it that they are being bashed for something that can't hardly be done.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 17, 2005 00:47

Well, Brian wrote riffs like Paint it black and Under my thumb and added music not color to the songs. His persona is the Rolling Stones persona. No Stones without Brian. The Stones were about lifestyle. Brians lifestyle. Mick and Keith were schoolboys according to everyone who ever met them in the 60s. Brian didnt get shit for his contributions and they hated his guts. Why? Ask Anita. She said they hated him cause he had everything before them. He taught them how to be stars. Mick can always be diplomatic about it but Keith apparently still hates Brian for this. Their argument is that Brian knicked five bucks once in '62 and that he called himself the leader. Sure he wanted to be a king while Mick and Keith wrote hits but they wanted him out of his own band, he knew it and got paranoid. More so after Keith went with Anita. After that Keith became a star as well. Bill wrote JJF - the riff and didnt get cred. Ronnie wrote IORR. Mick Taylor co wrote songs with both Mick and Keith and Keith threw him out more or less. Ry cooder worked with them and described the lovely twins as lizards. I dont think that anyone who has wroked with them tells stories about these two warmhearted guys. Theyare a bit like the maffia - I think Keith likes to see himelf as a cowboy or a maffia guy. And Mick is business. Or he likes to see himself as a business man because of his academic failure (he was about to study History of Economics at LSE). I love em but today theyre just as hallow as anything at Tussaud's. They lost their souls somehow.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 17, 2005 01:51

dont include darryl in this
its not fair to the others who are true stones

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home