Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: MICK TAYLOR takes his rightful place in the show's final bow
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:31

Rambler got hotter and hotter, imagine how they'd be after say 10 gigs!? hot smiley

It works so well that Taylor on Rambler at the very least needs to be a regular part of any future gigs. A regular thing of a Taylor section or something in place of so many guests would be aceness!

There is clearly still a special musical connection between them all that brings something out of them that otherwise isn't there.

Might seem wonky, but I like that Taylor isn't as fluid as before, rough around the edges playing in tandem with his more lively onstage demeanour just works better for me. It works for this 2012 stones anyway.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:42

His Majesty
Rambler got hotter and hotter, imagine how they'd be after say 10 gigs!? hot smiley

It works so well that Taylor on Rambler at the very least needs to be a regular part of any future gigs. A regular thing of a Taylor section or something in place of so many guests would be aceness!

There is clearly still a special musical connection between them all that brings something out of them that otherwise isn't there.

Might seem wonky, but I like that Taylor isn't as fluid as before, rough around the edges playing in tandem with his more lively onstage demeanour just works better for me. It works for this 2012 stones anyway.

I agree with you, but it doesn't equal the incredibly high level they had in 1973:

Date: December 16, 2012 18:43

Nothing stays the same, just taking them as they are today. The connection is there, but they and it are different. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 18:44 by His Majesty.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 16, 2012 18:49

"Aceness." What a COOL word!

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 16, 2012 19:47

kleermaker
His Majesty

I agree with you, but it doesn't equal the incredibly high level they had in 1973:

Is this from Brussels affair? Can I buy it on CD? Taylor sounds different compared to today, better tone and more flow in the solos. Very good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 20:35 by talkcheap.

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: December 16, 2012 20:25

BowieStone
Nope, gotta disagree.
Taylor is out of place in that final bow.
It should be only The Rolling Stones members.
He's not a member anymore in my book.

Honestly, it looked a bit pathetic the way he forced himself between Mick & Keith on last nights show.

I was at the show and in section 11 right next to the stage. Mick Taylor started to turn to walk away and KEITH put his right arm behing Taylor and pulled him in the middle. Mick ran right past Taylor but Keith was kind enough to make him feel welcome and include him. Taylor is clearly playing better after four concerts and will keep getting better. I wish he would play on a few more songs but we will wait and see for the near future.

Date: December 16, 2012 20:43

Blackdog
BowieStone
Nope, gotta disagree.

Honestly, it looked a bit pathetic the way he forced himself between Mick & Keith on last nights show.

I was at the show and in section 11 right next to the stage. Mick Taylor started to turn to walk away and KEITH put his right arm behing Taylor and pulled him in the middle. Mick ran right past Taylor but Keith was kind enough to make him feel welcome and include him. Taylor is clearly playing better after four concerts and will keep getting better. I wish he would play on a few more songs but we will wait and see for the near future.

I don't think we can hope for more. This was a celebration of 50 years. If they go on tour next year I don't think Taylor is with them.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:23

The way to do a tour with Taylor would be to have a section of songs he plays on: MR, CYHMN, maybe a slow blues like Love In Vain. We saw Taylor get better and more confident each night, and we saw the crowd's reaction and the extra burst of energy he brought to the evening. If they tour, the "Taylor Interlude" would be a highlight of the evening and give us something to look forward to we have not had on recent tours.

Date: December 16, 2012 21:28

71Tele
The way to do a tour with Taylor would be to have a section of songs he plays on: MR, CYHMN, maybe a slow blues like Love In Vain. We saw Taylor get better and more confident each night, and we saw the crowd's reaction and the extra burst of energy he brought to the evening. If they tour, the "Taylor Interlude" would be a highlight of the evening and give us something to look forward to we have not had on recent tours.

I agree, the Stones sounded like they did in the early 70`s when Taylor played.

Date: December 16, 2012 21:31

71Tele

... And when they are in the UK they add Bill as well. smoking smiley

Posted by: stein ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:41

We could clearly see that Keith said something to Mick Taylor seconds before the final. I guess he told him to stay with them

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:42

BowieStone
Nope, gotta disagree.

This.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: December 16, 2012 21:52

Based on his past membership, quality of contributions and what he brought to his guest spot... @#$%& right he should be in that final bow!

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: December 16, 2012 21:54

talkcheap
Blackdog
BowieStone
Nope, gotta disagree.

I don't think we can hope for more. This was a celebration of 50 years. If they go on tour next year I don't think Taylor is with them.

For me, I would have to have Mick Taylor play a bigger role with the Stones to keep seeing them in concert. Although I love the Stones and can afford the shows, Mick Taylor just makes it more electrifying. This version of the Stones has run it's course for me. I won't be paying that kind of money without him.

I understand they play for the masses and I am fine with that, I just like what Mick Taylor adds to the sound.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-16 23:15 by Blackdog.

Posted by: elpibe230 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:11

My idea is: Mick Taylor goes on tour with the Stones as their opening act (and he'll, hopefully, play Winter, one of my favorite Stones tracks of all time). He can then play an interlude of, let's say, Gimme Shelter, Love In Vain, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Midnight Rambler during the actual Stones set.

Date: December 16, 2012 22:14

He's too boring with his own band.

Posted by: elpibe230 ()
Date: December 16, 2012 22:39

His Majesty
He's too boring with his own band.

Lots of Stones fans will come out early to see him play. He can have special guests during his set as well (Clapton, Richards, whoever else). This past December 13th show in Newark was my sixth Stones show since 1989. I've only caught the full set of a RS opening act once (in 89, which was Living Color at Shea Stadium). I caught just 2 songs of Kanye West at Giants Stadium in 2006. That's it. If Taylor opened, I'm certain that lots of Stones fans (including myself) would be in the venue by the start of his set.

Date: December 16, 2012 23:18

He's not front man in a big venue material. He is at his best as a guitarist in a great band, not main singer etc.

It'll never happen anyway, plus there's no need for support acts.

Date: December 16, 2012 23:55

Without the Stones, Taylor is a bit boring. I saw him when he played in Bob Dylans band in 1984 and something was missing; the Stones.I don't miss Bill that much, everytime I like the bass part in a song I found out that it's actually Keith, Ron or Mick Taylor who is playing. Jumping Jack Flash is great exempel of Keith picking up the bass.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 00:02 by talkcheap.

Posted by: John&Trish ()
Date: December 17, 2012 03:57

Why does he still get STONES + HE QUIT...RONNIE TOOK OVER& has proven himself.Mick Taylor just stands there & is no fun, nor more talent as MR RONNIE WOOD. What is the hang up with him being a STONES for a few years ??? We saw him in 72 in MSG NYC, a boring statue....adding NOTHING to the show. Along comes RONNIE..their first choice,::if it wasn't for Ronnie McLagen, of the Faces, who got Mick Jagger's call & did not tell Woodie...EH???? P..he is STILL A BORING statue....compared to the great RONNIE ....JUST SAW THEM BOTH!!!

Date: December 17, 2012 04:11

Can't believe mt gave mj a cheek kiss on Thurs., then broke into the final bow on sat between mj&KR! Saw them@marquee club in '64 (Easter); bj better, then woodie

Date: December 17, 2012 04:17

John&Trish
Can't believe mt gave mj a cheek kiss on Thurs., then broke into the final bow on sat between mj&KR! Saw them@marquee club in '64 (Easter); bj better, then woodie

They didn't play at the Marquee in 1964.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:17

John&Trish
We saw him in 72 in MSG NYC, a boring statue....adding NOTHING to the show. Along comes RONNIE..their first choice,::if it wasn't for Ronnie McLagen, of the Faces, who got Mick Jagger's call & did not tell Woodie...EH???? P..he is STILL A BORING statue....compared to the great RONNIE ....JUST SAW THEM BOTH!!!

He added nothing? What about the music you were hearing? If you want somebody to be animated and dance around, that's what Jagger is for. Taylor is a virtuoso guitarist, not a front man. If you like Ronnie more than Taylor that's fine, I never really get involved in that debate, but it sounds like your opinion isn't at all based on music, and is more based on how colorful their personalities are. I don't care if Taylor is a statue, he makes beautiful music. Which is what it's supposed to be about isn't it?

Date: December 17, 2012 04:19

No he does not have a rightful place. He is N O T a Rolling Stone. His choice. Now he wants to cash in? Where was he? Ronnie Wood took over & nicely! Tired of this Mick Taylor stuff. He was with the band so briefly. Ronnie stayed. Get over Mick Taylor. He quit. He lost out. His decision. You can not just cash in after you chose to quit. It is Ronnie's place now. Far well Mick Taylor....again!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:38

John&Trish
No he does not have a rightful place. He is N O T a Rolling Stone. His choice. Now he wants to cash in? Where was he? Ronnie Wood took over & nicely! Tired of this Mick Taylor stuff. He was with the band so briefly. Ronnie stayed. Get over Mick Taylor. He quit. He lost out. His decision. You can not just cash in after you chose to quit. It is Ronnie's place now. Far well Mick Taylor....again!

Well clearly he can, and did, so I guess you're wrong. And since when does quitting mean you are out FOREVER? Joe Perry quite Aerosmith, but went back. There's no law about quitting a band and never being allowed back.

Sounds like you're the one who needs to get over Taylor. He seems to have you in quite a little fit. These shows were celebrating 50 years of the Stones, Taylor is part of that history, he was rightfully there.

And Keith has said himself, you're a Rolling Stone for life. So even though Mick left the band, he'll always be a Stone.

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:45

Glad you liked the concert. Mick Taylor is a Rolling Stone. Yes, he did quit, but
he had problems. He also contributed greatly to much of their greatest recordings and
performances. The Stones would say that themselves, and this is why he is playing with them for these shows....he belongs.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:50

justamomentita
Glad you liked the concert. Mick Taylor is a Rolling Stone. Yes, he did quit, but
he had problems. He also contributed greatly to much of their greatest recordings and
performances. The Stones would say that themselves, and this is why he is playing with them for these shows....he belongs.
Not that I disagree with you, but should he be up there for only contributing to 10 minutes of the show as opposed to the other 4 who were up there for 2 and a half hours. Not that its a big deal or anything, but it does look weird with him up there for playing one song that night. Maybe its a final bow for members of the Rolling Stones, but without Bill it feels odd. Like one of the guests is able to bow with the rest for their contribution. Taylor may be important to their most important period of music, but in the grand scheme of the concert that doesn't mean much.

Date: December 17, 2012 04:53

71Tele

Yes, and bring Lady Gaga along to do GS! She energized the whole show.

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: December 17, 2012 04:55

RollingFreak
justamomentita
Not that I disagree with you, but should he be up there for only contributing to 10 minutes of the show as opposed to the other 4 who were up there for 2 and a half hours. Not that its a big deal or anything, but it does look weird with him up there for playing one song that night. Maybe its a final bow for members of the Rolling Stones, but without Bill it feels odd. Like one of the guests is able to bow with the rest for their contribution. Taylor may be important to their most important period of music, but in the grand scheme of the concert that doesn't mean much.

I mostly agree with you... I wish he could have been on more songs and I hope that can happen in the future. I don't know why it was limited...maybe 2013 will have
more MT. I especially noted that Ronnie and Keith were happy to see him on stage. For me, who saw Taylor play with them in 69, 72, and 73, it was a very big part in
the grand scheme of the concert, even one song. As for Bill, would love to see him too, but my guess is the flying??

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 17, 2012 05:13

MT in the final bow is most deserving.

Lady Gaga on Gimme Shelter,on the other hand, is not.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home