Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 32 of 37
Re: I think the Stones did some damage to their reputation tonight
Posted by: ssprings ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:00

I was more concerned about how people would react to Micks comments about helping them out if it Rained in London. It sounded like he trivialized the hurricane - comparing it to a rain storm.

...Misbred Grey Executive...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:07

the eric clapton trio was awesome. just bloody awesome.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:07

For the Stones, it was a plug for the PPV, Jaggers jokes about rain in London were tasteless, stick to singing.....ARROGANT. It was alright but nothing great.

Best set of the night was the Clapton trio. Willy Weeks on bass, Keith and Ronnie's old pal from 1974.

Best song of the night was SEE ME FEEL ME by The Who. But what happened to Daltrey's stomach, did he get gutted by a butcher knife at some point????

Date: December 13, 2012 18:12

cn854
Best set of the night was the Clapton trio. Willie Weeks on bass, Keith and Ronnie's old pal from 1974.

bless you. you are a truly knowledgeable individual with impeccable taste. i am humbled by your presence.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:13

I have to completely agree with Midimannz, Gazza and Max'sKansasCity, just enjoy it - the Stones are unique...

"till the next time..."

Date: December 13, 2012 18:15

Gazza
It bewilders me how every time there's an event like this, people cant just enjoy it for what it is and have to turn it into a competition about who-blew-who off the stage. It's a charity concert - not the friggin' Olympics.

you make a good point. and clapton blew the whole lot off the stage. and that's just being charitable.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:16

Starr
I have to completely agree with Midimannz, Gazza and Max'sKansasCity, just enjoy it - the Stones are unique...

"till the next time..."
smileys with beer

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:19

jjsteve
I think the Stones did some damage to their reputation tonight.

If they did, it was because they performed with other legacy acts that are showing their liver spots ...

The Stones held their own quite well and outperformed The Who, who, in my opinion, stayed onstage for far
too long. Quite a switch from the "R'n'R Circus" days, in which as we all know, Jagger was fearful of how they
fared against The Who then. But neither band is exactly as they were, now are they? Frankly, the legacy act
I saw that fared best was Roger Waters, who was in fine form vocally and really moved the crowd despite the
fact he played some really tired PF songs ( great to hear "The Wall" opener, however ) ... I didn't catch Paul
or Billy; I became quite weary after The Who.

As for The Stones? Good choices for t00ns, though I can see "Gimme Shelter" as the obvious choice over "JJ",
but there's a taste issue there. Yet, wouldn't that have been a perfectly Stones thing to play for that very reason?
Perhaps a blown opportunity there. Jagger and Richards' approving smiles in Woody's direction said it all. Finally,
keeping their set short whets the appetite for more. Short and Sweet; no curlies. As in the toes - KEEP IT CLEAN, people! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 13, 2012 18:23

i loved the alicia keys set, too. fabulously soulful talent. dylan was right to inlcude her in a song. good boy, bobby.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:25

Keys was good.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:28

I agree about Mick's comment about 'hope you'll help us if it rains in England' or whatever the exact quote - that was a bit 'flippant', but then Mick has always been a bit of a wiseass. Part of his charm.

Otherwise, I'm sort of with everyone else - the two songs sounded good - wish there was at least one more, but I can understand why with a show tonight.

Can't wait for Saturday!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:29

Max'sKansasCity
ROLLING STONES!
THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM!

The Kuiper belt would like a word with you

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:31

The Who were great. I loved bringing in Moon on the big screen. The Stones should try this approach using old Wyman and Taylor clips since they treat them like they're dead anyway.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:32

Daltrey was stabbed with a knive, during a fight before he join the Who. Look at photos from the days of 'Tommy' when he would wear the fringe jacket. You can see the scars.
The Stones only playing 2 songs should be no surprise. Mick was advised to stop doing back to back shows years ago. A Throat Doctor told him to rest his voice. He did not want to over do it then not be able to perform tonight.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:36

deeppurple
Daltrey was stabbed with a knive, during a fight before he join the Who. Look at photos from the days of 'Tommy' when he would wear the fringe jacket. You can see the scars.
The Stones only playing 2 songs should be no surprise. Mick was advised to stop doing back to back shows years ago. A Throat Doctor told him to rest his voice. He did not want to over do it then not be able to perform tonight.

Happy with Keith on vox would have worked. They still had time on the clock when they left the stage.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:42

good review here. Stones rocked, but Comfortably Numb with Vedder on vox was highlight for me:
[www.nytimes.com];

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:51

In my opinion the Stones only did 2 songs last night specifically so they wouldn't water down PPV sales over the next couple of days.
From a business standpoint it's clearly the right move.

Seriously, you think the casual fan is going to watch 4 or 5 songs last night and then pony up money to watch them again in 3 nights?

Date: December 13, 2012 18:54

I have no problem with only two songs. Which two songs is another matter. Maybe they had some internal polling that told them there was pent up demand for YGMR. Probably the same polling firm that told Mitt Romney he was going to win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-13 18:55 by 71Tele.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 13, 2012 18:57

By the way: No U2?

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 19:02

YGMR stinks but it's a business move for the PPV.

If the casual fan sees Brown Sugar or Satisfaction or Honky Tonk Woman with Jumpin Jack Flash they are much less likely to buy the PPV show 3 nights later.
The boys are a business machine - and one of the best in the business - and have been for a long, long time now.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 13, 2012 19:04

TooTough
By the way: No U2?

Would have been nice of Split Enz to help out too...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 13, 2012 19:07

The Sicilian
Gazza
jjsteve
it's ashame reading a ton of facebook posts that say the stones sucked, the who were better, stones only played 2 songs b/c you have to pay to hear more....everyone else had a full half hour set and the stones did only 2 songs, so of course, it's not a fair comparison, but non stones fans really don't get it... it seems that it would have been better for the stones to either not do this 12/12 show or donate their pay per view money/money they make from saturday's concert to the 12/12 charity... in the end, to the general public (not me), it just seems that perhaps they came off like a band who only played 2 songs and went thru the motions and paled in comparison to their contemporaries - the who, mccartney, bruce, waters....

If 'a ton' of people are so clueless they dont get the reason why they played a short set, thats their problem. You really shouldnt make it yours as well.

It bewilders me how every time there's an event like this, people cant just enjoy it for what it is and have to turn it into a competition about who-blew-who off the stage. It's a charity concert - not the friggin' Olympics.

Unfortunately I have to disagree, I pay $80 a month for my cable bill so I am paying to see it. Add another $30 a month for internet. Do you think the bands didn't want to shine? BUT..for a good cause and fun of it.

Everybody rates and ranks bands. They have their favorites and they really dislike it when another band outplays them. Or vise-versa. As I said earlier, I enjoyed the show and had a lot of fun. I think we all did here on this board. Everyone was going back and forth discussing each act.

If you missed posting last night you missed one of the best music discussion nights ever on IORR.

I was a bit preoccupied. I had a concert to watch.

Date: December 13, 2012 19:10

lou reed was missed.

i'm in the middle of another complete lou reed discography run-thru...up to coney island baby right now. i am proud to say i made it through all four "tracks" of metal machine music, too. only the second time i've managed that and i actually found the experience enjoyable, too!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 13, 2012 19:12

Street Hassle coming up soon, then. Enjoy that one (and Bruce)... smiling smiley

Date: December 13, 2012 19:16

if there's a bad record by lou i have to sit through, i just boo it while listening, but lou thinks i'm cheering for him.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: December 13, 2012 19:18

I thought they sounded better than they have in ages. They sound like a dirty swampy r'n'b band from London. I don't give a toss about the other bands because they haven't really been proper bands for ages and people like Macca annoy the shit out of me but there are a couple things. First, the Stones have never been great with this type of festival small set thing. Second, their choice of songs have always been odd in these things. It's funny, for the general public, they usually pick one obscure type thing, but for us fans, we get a load of warhorses. It should be the opposite, especially for this type of show. The Stones put on a better show but the arrangements of the songs are nothing special. A Dylan show has new and amazing takes on his stuff that the Stones can't be bothered to do but I suppose that's the price you pay for getting a show and some great music to go with it. It's a trade off.

Date: December 13, 2012 19:22

StonesTod
if there's a bad record by lou i have to sit through, i just boo it while listening, but lou thinks i'm cheering for him.

Metal Machine Music, anyone?

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 13, 2012 19:23

Apparently, the press is unanimous: the Stones ruled!

[www.vulture.com]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 19:25

I think short and sweet ain't bad. I liked it. It wasn't promoted as a Stones concert outright, after all. The Stones would play only a couple songs during the 2-3 years of their "screaming, rioting girls" phase in the early 60's, when the mayhem forced them to cut things short. Charlie also said (in one the Stones' own books) that he sort of liked the early package tours because the Stones would play only 15 mintues "and I'm lazy." In Bill German''s radio interview with Keith (during the STEEL WHEELS tour) Keith said, "When I was 20 years old, the shows were 20 minutes long. Now that I'm 45, the shows aren't 45 minutes, their two hours."

So, hey, last night—during their 50th anniversary—the Stones played a short set just like the early days! True nostalgia for y'all!

Date: December 13, 2012 19:29

...."damage to their reputation"....?????

The world does not exist of hardcore hypercritical Stones fans. I think it was perfect!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 32 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home