Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 37
Re: MSG 12/12/12 comments as the show flows
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 13, 2012 12:51

YGMR is not one of my favourites but it seems to be a favourite among the band, so I don't mind them playing it. It has some good energy in the middle and it's only 3½ minutes long. In contrast to JJF which is 5½ minutes long and stillborn from the get go. I had enough of it, it's less vital than death! It's for the tourists. Personally, I would have thrown in OMS or D & G to make it fresh.

Date: December 13, 2012 12:53

Doom And Gloom would have been slightly inappropriate for this gig?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 13, 2012 13:00

Sorry Dandelion, you are right of course. The title is inappropriate for the occasion. Take OMS then.

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: December 13, 2012 13:03

Actually I like the slower YGMR, JJF also a great version!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: December 13, 2012 13:04

I was worried about being a negatron here after watching the Stones' anemic performance, but seems I'm not alone. Even Mick's self-serving comment about NY helping London if it "rains" was...disconnected.

On a positive note, even as a lukewarm Springsteen fan, I got goosebumps from his performance. I thoroughly enjoyed Roger Waters. I liked Clapton in a trio. Macca pulled off the Nirvana thing, but Macca nearly pulls everything off.

Great concert, but put in contrast the irrelevant Stones.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 13, 2012 13:10

Bruce "bigband" is getting bigger and bigger - those who complain about Stones Vegas Style should take a look at Bruce, he is much worse, and some 18 musicians onstage!!!

Re: 12/12/12 comments as the show flows
Date: December 13, 2012 13:57

klrkcr

Sorry Justin,I dont know how to upload to a torrent.But for anyone who can,here are both songs.Cheers.

Mick fvcks it up in the beginning of JJF, Keith smiles. Then Charlie loses a stick. A bit touching when Keith comes back to the kit straight after that (round the 6:30 mark).

I think the Stones did a very good appearance.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:06

Good song selection, tight band, polished professional performance: the Stones did well what they had to do. That said, JJF had truly a wicked groove. The greatness of this band is that even an ordinary "polished professional performance" is something else.

C

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:11

Well, after having seen this, there's no doubt in my mind. The Stones remain the greatest show on earth. I felt sorry for the crowd having to sit through long sets from Billy and Paul.

Date: December 13, 2012 14:16

liddas
Good song selection, tight band, polished professional performance: the Stones did well what they had to do. That said, JJF had truly a wicked groove. The greatness of this band is that even an ordinary "polished professional performance" is something else.

C

Absolutely!

For the fans who are complaining about the tempo, if you get the swing at this tempo, nothing is meaner, more sexy or dangerous.

They obtained that yesterday, although it almost fell apart a couple of times due to tech mishaps - but then again the Stones are experts at handling mishaps grinning smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:18

Watching again their performance. 2012 Stones are really good. Tight version of JJF.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:23

There is a point, towards the end of JJF, starting around 7:15 till the end in the video above, where the all just @#$%& rock like @#$%&. Ronnie could be higher up in the mix (as usual), but wow they are playing their bony asses off. I love it.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:40

both songs sounded great
never liked JJF much, but this version Rocks!!!
jeroen

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:41

Just watching again, from DVR, High Def and..... The Stones got me rockin!!!

It is only rock and roll and I like it... NO... I LOVE IT!!! The Stones did what the Stones do.... what they have always done.... and they did in Stones style... it is Stones magic... and people whining about Mick's joke about it raining in London? I think it was funny and well said... How many benefits has NY had now??... geeeeez, it deserves that joke. Disasters, and bad things happen all the time, all over the place, but not everywhere gets the spotlight and concerts like NewYawk.

Last night's Stone treat/thingy was a warm up tidbit to Saturday's show.... a warm up to tonight's show.... and damn how I wish that I could wish myself there, again, but it is not meant to be this time, but it is too far... oh well, it is what it is.... I Sure hope everythere appreciates what they are have, and what they are getting, and understand how many people wish they could have some too... but wont. Dont take it for granted people... relish the times, in a blink it could all be over.

People should be happy that The Stones simply played versus picking it apart under a iphone microscope....

THANKS MICK!!!! (Jagger, not Dundee)

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:42

duke richardson

'if it rains in London hope you'll help us out..'

That's what he thinks Sandy was? Just some rain? I'm not sure he's taking this thing very seriously.

Date: December 13, 2012 14:43

HAPPY STONES SEASON!!!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 13, 2012 14:46

tatters
duke richardson

'if it rains in London hope you'll help us out..'

That's what he thinks Sandy was? Just some rain? I'm not sure he's taking this thing very seriously.
It was both a joke, but UK has also been damaged by some heavy floodings. Happens all over the world every year - both too much rain and water and too little rain and water with the same or even worse consequences.... just take a look at Africa or South East Asia...

Posted by: jjf1965 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 15:34

Wow - I think that was the best intro riff of jjf since ??? Goosebumps!

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: December 13, 2012 15:46

Both songs were done very well. Surprisingly they manage to get YGMR to upper level of groove, I really liked it!

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 13, 2012 15:51

Jagger Sparks Controversy With Comment At Sandy Relief Concert: ‘If It Rains In
London, You’ve Got To Come Help Us’

NEW YORK (CBS New York/AP) – Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger irked some fans
with an attempt at humor during Wednesday night’s 12-12-12 Concert For Sandy
Relief at Madison Square Garden.

During his set with The Stones, Jagger told the crowd that there should be a
benefit show the next time it rains in London.

“This has got to be the largest collection of old English musicians ever
assembled in Madison Square Garden,” Jagger said. “But I’ve got to say, if it
rains in London, you’ve got to come and help us, OK?”

Many fans quickly took to Twitter after hearing the remark to express some shock
as victims of Hurricane Sandy in the tri-state were still reeling from the $70
billion in damages caused by the storm.

“Anyone else think Jagger’s ‘If it rains in London, you guys have to help us’
line was a bit out-of-bounds?” wrote Twitter user @OakParkVandy.

(as i posted immmediately after, not only did i think the remark not out of
bounds, i actually thought it was about the only note of reality in the
whole freakin shebang.)

Date: December 13, 2012 15:56

It should be obvious what he really said was that we should help eachother no matter what, if we are in need...

Date: December 13, 2012 16:00

superrevvy

NEW YORK (CBS New York/AP) – Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger irked some fans

Many fans quickly took to Twitter after hearing the remark to express some shock

whole freakin shebang.)

People offended by his comment need to quit being such pussies.

It was kind of like funnily reminding friend you are bailing of jail, helping move or taking to the airport that "I am helping you here, so when I need help I expect the same".... people tend to forget when it is time.

New York got another bail out ..... and they need to appreciate it, not copmplain like spoiled brats... was there a concert like this for Joplin tonadoes?, Tuscaloosa Tornadoes, North Ridge Earthquake?? No there wasnt...

NY is spoiled rotten from charity shows.... get over yourself NewYawk.

edit
My comment is only intended for people offended by the comment, not NewYorkers in general. If your were not offended and appreicate what you get/got... please ignore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-13 16:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 13, 2012 16:05

Max'sKansasCity
superrevvy

whole freakin shebang.)

People offended by his comment need to quit being such pussies.

It was kind of like funnily reminding friend you are bailing of jail, helping move or taking to the airport that "I am helping you here, so when I need help I expect the same".... people tend to forget when it is time.

New York got another bail out ..... and they need to appreciate it, not copmplain like spoiled brats... was there a concert like this for Joplin tonadoes?, Tuscaloosa Tornadoes, North Ridge Earthquake?? No there wasnt...

NY is spoiled rotten from charity shows.... get over yourself NewYawk.

EXACTLY - it was a little british humor from an adult - lock the over-sensitivity police up please -

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 13, 2012 16:08

The internet is forever, and I'll hate myself in the morning but.....I gotta admit Clapton was sensational.
I loved his set.

Ok I'm outta here...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 13, 2012 16:10

treaclefingers
StrawberriesBlueberries
stonesrule

By the way, having listened to Paul MacCartney on the show, while writing, he seems to have real troubles with his voice. Does he have a cold or hoarse? Didn't he sound a little bit hoarse during the Queen's celebrations already?

He sounded the same a couple of weeks ago at the Vancouver show. Great voice, just an older voice, that should avoid certain songs that require too much. He must know that but opts to soldier on.

And he sounded the same in St. Louis before that, and at the Olympic closing ceremony. I think age is finally starting to catch up to him. That's not to say it's bad or he should quit, just that his voice has been so good for 45-50 years, every minor things gets noticed now.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: December 13, 2012 16:12

Justin
The Sicilian
All in all it was a fun night. Very enjoyable. I didn't even know the last 12 songs eye rolling smiley
If anything it gave you a look at the condition of most of the major players in classic rock. Too bad Zeppelin couldn't be there. I'd love to see this show on tour. Kind of like the old Motown Revue.

I hate to say this but I really think the Stones have allowed themselves to become trapped in this hole of no change. They can't climb out of it. They are locked into this set performance with no deviations. Like a bunch of stubborn old men. Look at all the compliments on how good they sound...at playing the same songs. Satisfaction was great, JJF was the best yet. People, they have been playing them since 1969. Enough said.

You talk about the Stones like they're a vibrant young band that has aspirations and goals to concur the world. They've been on cruise control for 30 years now...not sure why people are still breaking them down like there's still time for them to save themselves or change as a band. These 70 year old dudes came out of semi-retirement for a few shows this year. Some people are asking (and expecting) way too much.

Post of the month Justin, well said and spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course with that being said, it's not going to change the sourpuss attitude of those who continually chastize the band.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 13, 2012 16:22

DandelionPowderman

DP, other guitarists, I don't want to lend any creedence to the conspiracy
theories I've read on other Stones sites, about the London shows, but why, on my
computer at least, at about the 4:25 mark, the opening of JJF, does Keith's hand
motions seem not to be in sync with the sound?

(Believe it or not, for once I'm actually not being a smartass. I actually want
to learn something.)

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 16:26

Gazza, this is something for you! What do you say, you must feel schizofrenic smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-13 16:27 by Happy24.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: December 13, 2012 17:14

midimannz
They're hideous Lol, WHAT a stupid comment! These Guys, my/our friends since 1969, are still playing, and why we can't others enjoy the music, if you dont like it, why not?, My elderly advice to you, shut up! If you can't afford it, it's because you aren't earning enough. WE dont care. I'm working my tits off to see a concert next year that's important to me in my life! Your moaning sounds small to me. If you want it here it is, come and get it! You're only ever gonna be what you believe you're gonna be. Right? Don't put your small thinking on us... Ok? Keep it to yourself, be small, don't tell us, we don't care if YOU don't want to go to a show, rather than moan to us about it,how about YOU be better. Learn more Earn more, get on board.... There's plenty $ to go round! If you want to complain, go to the complain thread.... Let the the rest of us enjoy this time, our time , after all, the Rolling Stones won't be here in 10 years, will they?
BV, hey, why not set up a moaners thread so we can be done with this crap! Let's enjoy The Rolling Stones 2012 -> forward

Agree. Stop the goddamn whining. The Stones' live shows in 2012 have exceeded all expectations. Keith is back amongst the living, Ronnie is sober (!) Jagger is still vibrant, Charlie is still Charlie, and the band is tight and focused. The negativity about prices (understandable!) and age (freaking ridiculous) has to be balanced with enthusiasm and gratitude that the band is back on the boards and maybe even gearing up for a new album and a wider tour next year. In a world teeming with tyranny, brutality, and narcissistic imbeciles and mediocrities posing as heads of state the Stones' comeback is a welcome thing...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 13, 2012 04:33

makes me think of seeing clapton in that room - 6/22/75 - sympathy with the stones - ropeni - you were there too smiling

I was there too and I was there also in '72...and 2003...I've watched their performance there in Gimme Shelter in '69 100 times on DVD and YouTube...the Stones and MSG have a very long and significant history together...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 13, 2012 17:14

The Stones sounded awesome, very tight and powerful, considering with no warm up they went out and did YGMR!! That said, I was disappointed that they only played 10 minutes! Really? With Roger Waters, Paul and THE WHO doing 1/2 hour sets.....I was just settling in to hear the obvious song for such an event, " Gimme Shelter" and they just flew off the stage...JJF did pack a punch and certainly left us wanting MORE! I'm guessing they were concerned about over-doing before the next 2 shows....understandable.
The rest of my thoughts are as follows: way too much Bon Jovi and Bruce.....WAY TOO MUCH! They did great, but less is more in this case. Roger Waters was impressive, showing how versatile he is on guitars, and keyboard, singing was strong too. Clapton was cool and classy and just plain great! Kayne is a total egotistical BORE!! The WHO were not perfect and yet, well PERFECT!! I loved the Keith Moon tribute showing Keith singing. They showed BALLS playing more obscure songs. I loved seeing Michael Stype( sp). Love " Losing My Religion".
And then there's Paul, in a class all by himself...yes, his voice quivers at times but he is a MONSTER and his band is probably he best musically in the business today...IMO.Abe, the drummer...well, what can you say? Talk about taking CHANCES!! The Nirvana new tune was powerful, and although a bit risky, they pulled it off! I've seen Paul w/ this band and it was 3 hours of bliss!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home