Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anybody miss the Chuck Berry covers?
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 13, 2005 09:23

One aspect of the Stones music we have heard less and less of in later years is the great covers of Chuck Berry songs.
I don't think there is another band in the history of popular music that play Chuck Berry as well as the Stones. Carol, Bye Bye Johnny, Little Queenie, Let It Rock etc were all brilliant.
I think the Stones should return to these songs more often.

Re: Anybody miss the Chuck Berry covers?
Posted by: Jumacfly ()
Date: January 13, 2005 09:32

yes!! and when they perform songs like @#$%& there 's a real lack of guitars...their biggest sound problem IMHO

Date: January 13, 2005 09:33

Little Queenie was good in 98. Route 66 (Berry didn't write it, but the stones has always played his version) was also played on that tour. Yeah, they could do more Berry-numbers, at least instead of turning Neighbours, Whip and Star Star into it.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 13, 2005 10:55

I always found them a bit throwaway. I'd rather hear Stones original material live anyday.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 13, 2005 12:25

Somebody once wrote that the Stones never outplayed Berry on his own songs except for Little Queenie live in 1969. I have to agree with that quote.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 13, 2005 12:51

I always like to hear a Chuck song at any Stones concert I go to. Or if not, at least a couple of Berry-esque songs.

I'd love to hear them finally play "You Cant Catch Me" on the next tour, I think that really is an overlooked gem

Date: January 13, 2005 13:32

I'd love to hear them play "Nadine" - my favourite Berry-song.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 13, 2005 14:02

Yes, I'd love to hear Don't lie to me, and they could start the show with Come on!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 13, 2005 15:16

"Come On" would be a good opener for sure. And I'd like to have them do a single Berry track on each concert.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 13, 2005 18:01

totally agree. Queenie was the highlight of the entire setlist on the B2B tour. Sadly, it seems KR has had another falling out with the Chuckster and refuses to play his songs on stage anymore..

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 13, 2005 18:08

I'd like to hear more Berry and soul/Motown stuff. Enough already with Brown Sugar, Start me Up etc... I mean at this point, how many new fans are going to go to one of their shows and say "wow Brown Sugar, what a great song! I need to get the disc that that song is on". On stage, the Stones always seem to have more fun playing covers or stuff they don't play all of the time.

I agree with jumacfly, the guitars these days are lame.

Keith of course is completely straight

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 13, 2005 18:27

Nobody does Chuck Berry like Keith can. He has taken the style and made it his own and I love to hear him play that classic rhythm riff and double stops that are the staple of many a Berry song. Perhaps the Stones will cover "My Ding a Ling" this time around. Hard to believe that was Berry's only number one out of so many great songs!

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: January 13, 2005 18:42

I would love for them to bring back "Let it Rock" - thought it was one of their best opening #'s (Some Girls tour)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 13, 2005 19:17

I agree no one does Chuck justice other than the Stones - I recall the 70s when everyone was overdoing it w/bad Chuck covers. The Stones' '99 version of Bobby Troup's Route '66 was very nice, & a tribute of sorts as Troup had just died around that time

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 13, 2005 20:38

Mind you Dave Edmunds does nearly a note perfect imitation!

Date: January 13, 2005 21:27

Ever heard Edmunds take on CB's "Dear Dad"? Classic... The Edmunds/Love Sculpture cover of You Can't Catch Me is amazing, too...

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 13, 2005 21:41

"Around And Around."

Posted by: animal ()
Date: January 14, 2005 00:12

have been listening to a 22 song best of cd in my car lately,seem never to get tired of it although 75 % of the songs start wiht his famous "j b goode" guitar intro .

like most songs , some more than others, like
reeling & rocking
no 6 which name i dont recall is my favoruite, tell ja later the name

notice that oh carol and johnny be goode are side by side as on the RS cd

regards dýri

Posted by: WAYNEP ()
Date: January 14, 2005 19:42

One Chuck Berry tune should be mandatory at every Stones concert. My vote is Little Queenie.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: January 14, 2005 20:12

Well, Stikkyfingers regularly play Little Queenie,Around and Around and Bye Bye Johnny - they are VERY well liked by the audiences!

So if the Stones play them I'm sure they will be WELL APPRECIATED! I'd love to hear the Stones play more Chuck Berry!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: January 14, 2005 20:33

I want Carol for the next tour.
Get yer's was my first Stones album.
After JJF, MR, HTW and SFM in 1973
SFTD in 1989,
LQ in 1997,
LIV in 1998,
SCB in 2002 I want to hear Carol live on stage

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: January 14, 2005 22:05

Yeah good choice - Carol is a great song, especially the way the Stones play it....

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: animal ()
Date: January 14, 2005 22:39

"nadine , honey is that you"
is my favourite at the moment

what makes that song so special in my ears ?
definitely the base groove. kinda urges the song on, like Bill
played in some songs, being on the first quarternote in front of the beat

you like that song ?

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 14, 2005 23:02

Nadine is one of my favorites as well.Baby Doll would be a great Stones cover. Great guitar. Did Keith ever cut Worried Life Blues?

Date: January 14, 2005 23:26

Worried Life wasn't ever cut in the studio by the Stones or Keith. Of course it was a staple of the New Barbarians set (with KR on vocals). Not a CB tune, either....

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 15, 2005 02:47

Yes, I absolutely do miss the Chuck Berry covers. My favorite is "Let It Rock". We have MT and RW versions of this--remember the Brown Sugar maxi-single? This had a live "LiR" from 71 on it. THIS really needs to be uploaded on Rockpassion.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home