Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Fallen Angels - Brown Sugar!
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 12, 2005 23:59

BTW Ian: I sent an e-mail to Stikky_Finger@hotmail.com. Could you reply please???

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: January 13, 2005 00:03

KeithRichards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alright, I'll send you the tracks seperately in
> mp3 format.
> But one of these tracks will contain both Kent's
> voice and his guitar.
>
> I have some questions now:
>
> 1. What is a sequencer program - what is it good
> for?
>
> 2. What's the Antares Autotune? What can I do with
> it?
>
> 3. What program do I need to play bass&drums?
>
> Thanks! :-)
>
>

I'll reply by email!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 13, 2005 01:55

Am I the only one who thinks these recordings are god-awfull? You don't need a sequencer, recording tools or what ever, you need some @#$%& good ears and a couple of years practicing! The guitars are out of tune, the rythm guitar plays the wrong chords (it's G#add2, Bflatsus4), the solo guitar plays in C major over a C/G#/Bflat progression (learn some scales!), the vocals are off-key, the tempo changes every second. It's just amateuristic and bloody awfull.

No disrespect to Kent and the other bloke, I love their contributions to this board (keep em comming). But the music: it sucks.

Mathijs (who will get flamed of course)

Date: January 13, 2005 02:06

Mathijs: I'm not gonna flame you. You have your opinion and I have mine. But it just seems to me that you are very much like my older brother who also is a very good musician. The problem with you guys is that when you become a good musician and learn all the scales and bla bla bla, you suddenly hear everything musicians that are not on your level's problems. If you didn't have any music experience you would love these recordings for sure. And that's why I can tell you that you have both lost something and gained something. The thing you gained is that you now can hear music and tell a lot of people that you also can play that. You can also say: "Hey. He's using a A#%/(%#-chord instead of a A#!"!"%ยค-chord". Congratulations on that. But the thing you lost is worth so much more in my opinion. The thing you lost is the ability to say "THAT'S COOL BECAUSE IT ROCKS"!!!! And when you hear rock 'n roll, that is the only ability you need to have. You lost that. Sorry for you mate.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 13, 2005 02:45

Mathijs, you're right of course, and so are you Kent. No one needs to get flamed. But forget Spider & the Fly. Try Back to Zero. You can't possibly do a worse job than the original. :-)

Date: January 13, 2005 02:55

Hahaha. Priceless. I don't think we're bad. The songs we do are of course not professional. But what can you expect with a crappy microphone, a guitar that needs adjustment and a shit computer??? With that in mind I quite like it. Brown Sugar is our best. Better than anything "Flip The Switch" ever did for sure :-)

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 13, 2005 04:05

........And by the way:

Mathijs Wrote:
>the rythm guitar plays the wrong
> chords (it's G#add2, Bflatsus4).

No buddy. If there's anything I know for certain then it is that Brown Sugar is played in C for the verse. The riff starts in G. If you say otherwise, you're wrong. I don't know much about music, but I have heard and played that track at least 5000 times and I'm NOT kidding. It's open G, and then it's C for the verse. PERIOD!!!!! And the solo roxxxxxxxx!!!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 13, 2005 05:02

Mathijs says

"you need some @#$%& good ears and a couple of years practicing!.....It's just amateuristic"

Who knew, a couple of amateurs that need a little practice don't sound like professionals the first time out of the blocks. How does one become such a sage? My guess is years of scales to reach such a state of nirvana.

Kent play away, practice all you can, learn your limits, but you really don't need to share every step along this path, an "occasional" progress report will do.

Mathijs it's a long fall from a high horse. For all you know these guys maybe in the progress of inventing then Kentonic scale that will be the next big thing in rock music down the road. God knows something needs to change.

Date: January 13, 2005 10:39

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Mathijs: I'm not gonna flame you. You have your
> opinion and I have mine. But it just seems to me
> that you are very much like my older brother who
> also is a very good musician.

First: apologies for my post, I had a few too much to drink. I indeed don't think the music is good, but I could have said it in another way.

> lost is the ability to say "THAT'S COOL BECAUSE IT
> ROCKS"!!!! And when you hear rock 'n roll, that is
> the only ability you need to have. You lost that.
> Sorry for you mate.

Maybe, maybe not. I indeed lost the ability to enjoy many bands for the simple reason it musically sucks. The again, I can still be blown away with many guitar bands like Jet, Sons of Leon an what more. The thing is, bands like Jet may sound like simple R&R, but these guys are actually are great musicians who knw there share of music theory.

Mathijs

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 13, 2005 11:36

Mathijs Wrote:
> Am I the only one who thinks these recordings are
> god-awfull? You don't need a sequencer, recording
> tools or what ever, you need some @#$%& good
> ears and a couple of years practicing! The guitars
> are out of tune, the rythm guitar plays the wrong
> chords (it's G#add2, Bflatsus4), the solo guitar
> plays in C major over a C/G#/Bflat progression
> (learn some scales!), the vocals are off-key, the
> tempo changes every second. It's just amateuristic
> and bloody awfull.
>
> No disrespect to Kent and the other bloke, I love
> their contributions to this board (keep em
> comming). But the music: it sucks.
>
> Mathijs (who will get flamed of course)

It's the other bloke writing now:
Well, I don't think it's bloody awful, but it's amateuristic - of course.
But we just have some fun playing the tunes of our favourite Rock group, not to make a living out of it. It's the first time ever we record something and of course it's everything but perfect. I know my guitar playing is not that good, but it's good enough to have some fun playing.

So, I'm playing a C Pentatonic all the way on Brown Sugar, the only scale I really know - is this scale completely inappropriate for the chord progression, or what?
It doesn't sound that wrong to me...
Anyway, if I have a certain chord progression, how can I find out what scale to use? I'm seriously asking you...

By the way, the band you mention in your other post is actually called "The Kings Of Leon" and yes, they are quite good. I bought their new album some time ago and there are some songs I absolutely don't like and some that really stand out. Same with Jet and The Libertines. And you can be absolutely sure that these guys know music theory, they would have not chance without that.

Posted by: Hang Fire ()
Date: January 13, 2005 11:42

I don't like it.
I never liked coverbands.
Sorry, but have fun playing your songs.

'In the sweet old country...'

Date: January 13, 2005 11:49

<The riff starts in G>

You're partly right, but the first stroke on the riff is actually (neglecting the sus'es and the other academical stuff) a C.

Date: January 13, 2005 12:57

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> No buddy. If there's anything I know for certain
> then it is that Brown Sugar is played in C for the
> verse. The riff starts in G. If you say otherwise,
> you're wrong. I don't know much about music, but I
> have heard and played that track at least 5000
> times and I'm NOT kidding. It's open G, and then
> it's C for the verse. PERIOD!!!!! And the solo
> roxxxxxxxx!!!!!!

O.k, here's the academic part. Tune to open G, take of the low E string. When I write barre, you bar the 5 strings with your index finger. All keys are from low A string to high E sting. When I write G- E (I2) it means place your index finger on the third string, second fret. R is ring finger.

Brown Sugar:

first chord 12th fret: "Cadd9/G" (a.k.a. C2): G-E(R14)-G-C(I13)-D
2nd chord: G (barre 12th fret)
3rd: C (barre 5th)
4th: play on 5th fret: "Fad9/C": C-A(R7)-C-F(I6)-G
5th: C(barre 5th)
6th: D# (barre 8th)
7th: "C#6add9": 8th fret: A# - E#(R10)- G#(I9) - A#
8th: C (barre 5th fret)
9th: on 5th fret: Fadd9/C
10th: G# (barre 1st fret)
11th: "Csus2" (D-G-C(I2)-D
12th: "G#6add9": 3rd fret: E# - B#(R5) - D#(I4) - E#
13th: A# (barre 3rd fret)
14th: "Fadd9/C" (fifth fret)
15th: C: barre 5th fret.

Verses: C (throw in "Fadd9/C" whenever you like) - F (Keith adds the F# (R12) and A#( I 11) to taste, making it a "D#6add9" chord. He does not play the standard "A#add9/F" chord here!

The "Cadd9/G" chord is sometimes refered to as a sus4 chord, while it is not. the "/G" sing indicates that it comes from G, but you raise it to C. hence "Cadd9/G". The "6add9" chord is a strange chord to name. I don't know whether the name I gave it is the true correct one (I am not a trained pianist). If you play it in the first position, you can see it as "F6add9", but also as some form of an Aminor chord, or even a raised C chord. It depends on which root you take.

Soloing over Brown Sugar is difficult. In fact, with Flip the Switch I find it the most difficult song to play second rythm guitar and lead guitar on. On C and G you can play the pentatonic scale, but it clashes with the A# and D# chords. Taylor makes it easier for himself by playing slide on the chorusses, while on the verses (G and C) he starts playing fingered licks: Cpentatonic over C, Gpentatonic over C. Taylor's parts are encredible, and very hard to copy, I sure still can't play it like him. I played some nice Gpentatonic licks over the C chord, which sounds horrible... Wood makes it even easier for himself as he plays some standard Berry riffs over the C and F in the chorus, while on the verses he follows Keith.

Last: Keith hardly uses distortion on the original guitar, listen to the original track. If you want to let all these nice chords ring out nicely, you don't want all the distortion make it sound "mushy". Don't use pre-amp overdrive or distortion (and certainly no distortion pedals), some tube power amp overdrive is best.

well, my 2 cents.

Mathijs

Date: January 13, 2005 14:05

Mathijs Wrote:
> Am I the only one who thinks these recordings are
> god-awfull? You don't need a sequencer, recording
> tools or what ever, you need some @#$%& good
> ears and a couple of years practicing! The guitars
> are out of tune, the rythm guitar plays the wrong
> chords (it's G#add2, Bflatsus4), the solo guitar
> plays in C major over a C/G#/Bflat progression
> (learn some scales!), the vocals are off-key, the
> tempo changes every second. It's just amateuristic
> and bloody awfull.
>
> No disrespect to Kent and the other bloke, I love
> their contributions to this board (keep em
> comming). But the music: it sucks.
>
> Mathijs (who will get flamed of course)

No mate these recordings aren't god-awful! These are 2 guys just starting to record the music they make - it SHOULD BE A LOT WORSE than this!

That's my point! A crappy mike and a few guitars - what do you expect? Exile on Main Street?

Brown Sugar is played in open G - but then you knew that didn't you Mathijs? But did you know that when you first started? These guys are already further ahead than mere amateurs - but can you see it?

I think it may be time for you to Flip the Switch if you can't encourage these guys.....

Regards,

Ian.
PS Our website sucks big time! (Who cares???)

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: January 13, 2005 14:28

>No mate these recordings aren't god-awful! These are 2 guys just starting to >record the music they make - it SHOULD BE A LOT WORSE than this! >
>That's my point! A crappy mike and a few guitars - what do you expect? Exile on >Main Street?
>Brown Sugar is played in open G - but then you knew that didn't you Mathijs? >But did you know that when you first started? These guys are already further >ahead than mere amateurs - but can you see it?

I guess my post wasn't so much about the guys being amateurs, but more about all the praise how fantastic it is, and phrases like "all you need is a bit of reverb and delay". Lines like "Kent plays a very sharp, almost perfect rythm guitar, I'm adding the nice licks the solo" and "Kent's vocal performance is great again" -while to vocals are really out of tune, off key and off-beat. Everybody once started, and everybody starts as an amateur, including me. But I didn't post my very first recordings when I was 12 on the interenet saying praise over it.

Mathijs

Date: January 13, 2005 14:48

No. You probably didn't. Maybe it's because the internet weren't around when you were 12. But I bet you ran in and asked you dad to listen to what you've just made. Am I right??? This is the same thing.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 13, 2005 14:55

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> No. You probably didn't. Maybe it's because the
> internet weren't around when you were 12. But I
> bet you ran in and asked you dad to listen to what
> you've just made. Am I right??? This is the same
> thing.
>
>
> JUMPINGKENTFLASH IT'S A GAS, GAS, GAS!!!!

Touche'!

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: January 13, 2005 15:03

But I didn't tell my dad it was brilliant. I asked him what he thought, and he then answered "bloody awful, go practise more". I had a real mean father....

Mathijs

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 13, 2005 15:07

Ian thanks for all your help!

"I guess my post wasn't so much about the guys being amateurs, but more about all the praise how fantastic it is, and phrases like "all you need is a bit of reverb and delay". Lines like "Kent plays a very sharp, almost perfect rythm guitar, I'm adding the nice licks the solo" and "Kent's vocal performance is great again" -while to vocals are really out of tune, off key and off-beat. Everybody once started, and everybody starts as an amateur, including me. But I didn't post my very first recordings when I was 12 on the interenet saying praise over it. "

@mathijs--> man, get over it! I want to get some people to listen to the songs!
Everybody who knows the songs knows that my description has to be a bit tongue-in-cheek!!
And nobody will download a song when I describe is as "out of tune guitars, wrong scales, out of key and off-beat vocals, amateurish production,etc", you marketing genius!

Date: January 13, 2005 15:08

Mathijs Wrote:
> But I didn't tell my dad it was brilliant. I asked
> him what he thought, and he then answered "bloody
> awful, go practise more". I had a real mean
> father....
>
> Mathijs

I got a similar response from my dad, but maybe not as bad as yours.

Maybe that's why we're in such good rocking bands eh?

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: January 13, 2005 15:13

Mathijs: That's bad man. If I asked my father what he thought about it he'd prob say it's cool. No matter how bad it was. But the other side of it is that he would know that I would think that I was good and then should keep on doing it, and thus get better. I feel that you probably went through a lot of unnessecary work to become the obvious music-god that you are today.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 13, 2005 15:18

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Mathijs: That's bad man. If I asked my father what
> he thought about it he'd prob say it's cool. No
> matter how bad it was. But the other side of it is
> that he would know that I would think that I was
> good and then should keep on doing it, and thus
> get better. I feel that you probably went through
> a lot of unnessecary work to become the obvious
> music-god that you are today.
>
>

This music-god thing reminds me of a phrase.....

Is it Jesus Christ superstar
OR Superstar? Jesus Christ!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: January 13, 2005 15:23

WHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Ian. That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome. How the hell did you dream that one up???

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 13, 2005 15:26

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> No. You probably didn't. Maybe it's because the
> internet weren't around when you were 12. But I
> bet you ran in and asked you dad to listen to what
> you've just made. Am I right??? This is the same
> thing.
>
>

Hi!

I've sent you a free copy of the Stikkyfingers CD so you can review our recordings if you like!

We aren't afraid of criticism, although we don't get much .......

Regards,

Ian.
Boy this thread is HOT HOT HOT!

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: January 13, 2005 15:28

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> WHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
>
> Ian. That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome. How the hell
> did you dream that one up???
>
>

It's an OLD joke Kent - believe it or not.....

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 13, 2005 15:32

I just might happen to have a cd with some songs from a band called the Stones. On it are recordings from 1961. The 'band' didn't sound very steady then. But the became the greatest rock and roll band in the world. So keep on going Angels. And I understood the tongue-in-cheek remarks about how briljant it was KeithRichards..... And now let's all put the ego's aside!

Date: January 13, 2005 15:33

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Mathijs: That's bad man. If I asked my father what
> he thought about it he'd prob say it's cool. No
> matter how bad it was. But the other side of it is
> that he would know that I would think that I was
> good and then should keep on doing it, and thus
> get better. I feel that you probably went through
> a lot of unnessecary work to become the obvious
> music-god that you are today.
>
>

Yeah, it took me years and years of my father's beating to become the genius I am today. My father and I aren't on speaking terms anymore, especially not since he dragged me to court for a part of the millions I earned being the famous and glorious rock star. Well, that's life baby.

Mathijs

Date: January 13, 2005 15:35

We can't do that now Mr. Shrimp. Our egos are already sky high because we're in a band. lol.

Ian: Thanks. I'll give it a listen and then I'll give you some feedback.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 13, 2005 15:37

smiling smiley

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 13, 2005 15:38

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> We can't do that now Mr. Shrimp. Our egos are
> already sky high because we're in a band. lol.
>
> Ian: Thanks. I'll give it a listen and then I'll
> give you some feedback.
>
>

Ok Kent, but you can stop calling me Mr. Shrimp now (don't listen to averything I say please!)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home