Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Worst screw-ups on stage
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2005 22:15

this thread is relatively long only because the boys have been around for so long. every band/artist screws up on the stage....

Posted by: Railing staine ()
Date: January 12, 2005 22:18

this thread would be longer if I could remember all the mistakes in 2003

1 thing I remember: keith starting Tumbling dice on his gibson. He should be doing Midnight Rambler, that was in Prague

Date: January 12, 2005 23:53

I would have to say
1. tumblin dice in philly FU center in 2002, just total @#$%& up
2. Street fighting man, from the album "too stoned to roll" jagger is singing lyrics to JJF

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 13, 2005 00:45

"every band/artist screws up on the stage...."

but no other band screws up so many songs as our boys do, that's for sure. Remember what Don Was said in an interview asked about the terrible editing and overdubbing on Live Licks? Something like "you can only use two of five notes played by them for recording purposes". And it's true, sad but true. So the Stones might still be the greatest rock'n roll band in the world,meaning they still attract millions of people worldwide but that doesn't mean they are the best ones! Am I right, Mathjis?

Date: January 13, 2005 00:56

i definitely would disagree with you Wahwah....

as a lifelong Dylan collector - I can't tell you how many times Bob and his band (and we're talking many world-class musicians here) have screwed up. It's just part of the business. the stones aren't any better or worse than the next band...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 13, 2005 01:19

Agree with T&A here. Every live album is overdubbed. Still they rule over all bands.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: January 13, 2005 09:51

I think the bootleg "wahwahwoody" means is not 19 but "13 Nervous Breakdowns"
13 songs. Silver pressed without label.

Per-Arne

Date: January 13, 2005 12:32

<Shepherd's Bush 98, "Melody": Keith (I think) plays lead lines all the way through the song in some totally different key.>

That is not true - I have the boot. The same goes for Some Girls; leads all the way through. Horrible playing, but not systematically in a wrong key.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-13 12:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 13, 2005 12:41

Per-Arne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the bootleg "wahwahwoody" means is not 19
> but "13 Nervous Breakdowns"
> 13 songs. Silver pressed without label.
>
> Per-Arne

thats the boot I was referring to which is being offered on one of the torrent sites. Cheers

Date: January 13, 2005 12:47

thynnes Wrote:
> There is a boot called "Cant Stop Rollin'"
> (picture disc) consisting of various radio shows
> from 1978. On Tumbling Dice Mick @#$%& up and
> starts the chorus too early, Keith keeps on and
> Mick singings´ly says:"oh, I am very sorry keith I
> rocked that @#$%&' words up" and joins in again.
> On this lp the @#$%&' is overdubbed with a beep.
> (At the end of TD the crowd sings "you got to roll
> me..." over and over.)
>
> Does anybody know from which concert this boot
> is?

is that the same version where before the song starts Mick goes on about Keith losing his pick and then they play a very long intro? If so, thats probably my favourite version of that song ever. It comes from either Houston or Detroit, cant remember off the top of my head - I'd need to have the CD handy!

Date: January 13, 2005 13:36

It's Detroit. I always thought that the mike was damaged or something. Great version.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 13, 2005 13:45

Brown Sugar intro in Amsterdam 2003; I was there and did not realize it was Brown Sugar until Mick started singing!
By the way, the Stones are great live also for their capacity to get through the @#$%&-ups on stage.

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 13, 2005 15:21

Hear are a couple of video / concert mistakes. Rolling Stones to the Max: It's Only Rock 'n' Roll, Jagger starts to sing the chorus while Keith and Ron are still playing the verse. The look on all of their faces was a classic. 94 Voodoo Lounge Video from Giants Stadium: Street Fighting Man is just a mess. Jagger, Richards and Wood get completely lost in the song and it almost breaks down. Once again, Jagger gives a classic eye-roll and they somehow find themselves.

Posted by: Izzy ()
Date: January 13, 2005 16:10

Don't forget She's So Cold in Wembley '82. Keith intro is terrible. Mick tries to save it by just starting to sing without Bill and Ron playing.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: January 13, 2005 16:20

Paint it Black, Manchester, 2003 - Mick sings first few lines in wrong key, runs back to Chuck like it was his fault... then gets it back together, but it was truly a scary moment - he sounded like a banshee on acid

Date: January 13, 2005 17:23

I can recomend the bootleg "13 Nervous Breakdowns". All the screw-up highlights, one worse than the other. Very funny. 4 band members playing 4 different songs, and even good ol' charlie @#$%& it up. I had a good time listening to it. And a great laugh.

Date: January 13, 2005 17:57

And who could forget Charlie totally forgetting how to play the reggae beat at the Oakland '02 You Don't Have to Mean It - it was so bad - that Mick came up from behind his backstage perch to coach Charlie with handclaps! I had a seat behind the stage and got to see it up close and personal - it was hsyterical.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 13, 2005 22:22

I would love to have a listen to "13 Nervous Breakdowns". Anybody want to trade for it? Drop me a line!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: tylerdurden2001 ()
Date: January 13, 2005 22:37

There is an awful solo in the middle of something on the PPV show in Miami, either Satisfaction or Sympathy, Keith played all the wrong notes in the right order to paraphrase Eric Morcambe.

Surprised no one has mentioned Rocks Off at Twickenham since it led to the awful Live Licks edit, it was the first show I was at that I heard them make a mistake, I never noticed or they never made them before that. My favourite is Street Fighting Man from the last night at Wembley Arena on the Licks tour, they screw up the second verse royally, I think Mick misses his cue and they spend the rest of the verse trying to catch each other up until they all looked at Charlie for a cue to go into the chorus again

Date: January 14, 2005 07:38

The Oshowa Benefit for the Blind: both shows.

The '76 UK/Europe Tour.

SNL '78

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 14, 2005 11:33

I'm with you wuddy, I woudl love this if only for the sake of curiosity, and have never seen it on anyone's list that I can rememeber.

Date: January 14, 2005 12:23

Date: January 17, 2005 16:47

Sounds like Keith thought he was playing the start of LowDown smiling smiley

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 17, 2005 17:03

One great, now forgotten screw-up: On 'Liver Than You'll Ever Be' (Oakland 1969), Keith playing the riff to 'Live With Me' a half beat behind the rest of the band for many, many measures. Good job by the band to hold steady until he eventually corrected it.

But the most symbolically appropriate screw up HAS to be 'Start Me Up' from the film 'Let's Spend the Night Together.' Check it out: Mick nods his head to signal to the band to end the tune, then sings 'Start me up!' with great emphasis, while everyone in the band dutifully stops playing ... except Charlie! Ronnie and Bill immediately figure it out, and keep playing. You can see Bill deliberately keeping the deadpan expression, while Ronnie is screaming with laughter. Mick and Keith come back in, they do one more bar, then end the song correctly. It sounds fine, but it's unmistakable if you watch it.

The best part of this one is seeing Ronnie laughing after the tune, as if realizing the irony: 'If you start me up ... I'll never stop!'

Yeah, the Stones screw up frequently, but are also easily the most raw and powerful rock band ever. Remember, for every screw up, there are a dozen awesomely great moments.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 17, 2005 17:38

I also remember a huge mess on the Wembley 82 bootleg DVD.
I think it's on "she's so cold".

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: FAH3 ()
Date: January 17, 2005 20:09

I am surprised that I haven't seen the Don't Stop / Tumbling Dice debacle from Fedex Field. Mick had his guitar strapped on for Don't Stop until Keith decided to hit Tumbling Dice. Mick threw his guitar off and went on. The back up singers weren't in place so for the beginning of the song we are treated to an old school version. The next night in Hartford when Mick introduces Don't Stop you see them all share a laugh on stage.

Date: January 17, 2005 20:39

Doc Wrote:
> I also remember a huge mess on the Wembley 82
> bootleg DVD.
> I think it's on "she's so cold".
>

it is, but its hardly THAT hideous. I think its been made out to be worse than it was because of Nick Kent's insistence that when Ronnie screwed up the intro, Keith ran over and punched him hard in the face - that story was rehashed in other biographies, such as Victor Bockris'.

The fact is, as can be clearly seen on the videotape, it didnt happen. Pure invention.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 18, 2005 00:16

FAH3 Wrote:
> I am surprised that I haven't seen the Don't Stop
> / Tumbling Dice debacle from Fedex Field. Mick
> had his guitar strapped on for Don't Stop until
> Keith decided to hit Tumbling Dice. Mick threw
> his guitar off and went on. The back up singers
> weren't in place so for the beginning of the song
> we are treated to an old school version. The next
> night in Hartford when Mick introduces Don't Stop
> you see them all share a laugh on stage.
>
>

When they play Don't stop Keith has a capo on the second fret (A) and with Tumbling Dice he has it on the fourth fret (cool smiley. How and why did he play Tumbling Dice then?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 18, 2005 00:33

Wuudy Wrote:
How and why did he play
> Tumbling Dice then?

I was there, and it was quite hilarious.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: January 18, 2005 06:20

You play live.......your gonna screw up. You play live long enough, pumped full of narcotics and booze.....your gonna screw up now and then. You play live for 40 years to the point where your mind is toasted from the aforementioned 40 years......you screw up now and then.

Percentage wise the band has gotten it right overwhelmingly.

Milo, NYC
We all need someone we can lean on

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home