Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Worst screw-ups on stage
Date: January 12, 2005 14:47

"Occationally", our band seems to do minor and major mistakes during concerts.

Rank the worst five of them:

1. Going To A Go-Go - From one of the JD-shows (NJ 1981). The bands stops, and Keith starts (and refuses to quit.)
2. Gimme Shelter - From Perth 1973 - the intro (Charlie doesn't make it any easier for him...).
3. Beast Of Burden - From the same New Jersey-show mentioned above: Mick counts wrong, and sings an entire verse on the half-beat, and does not discover it until Keith comes in with the back-up vox (Am I hard enough...)
4. Miss You - From Out On Bail, New Jersey 1978: Jagger tries to sing the bridge, but instead they keep on doing the verses throughout the song...
5. Sympathy For The Devil - From Hold On Tight, MSG 1975: The bass is on the wrong barre throughout the song...

Re: Worst screw-ups on stage
Posted by: Jumacfly ()
Date: January 12, 2005 14:48

the intro of stray cat blues in Stockholm 2003!! gosh, awful!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 12, 2005 14:53

"Brown Sugar" Edmonton October 2nd '97. Keith plays the intro-riff wrong and waves his hand for the band to stop. Micks says "Yeah". Keith starts it over and then they rock and rule like hell.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:01

I got the blues Marquee 1971. The ending.

Date: January 12, 2005 15:05

Yes, Stray Cat from Stockholm has got to be one of the worst screw-ups ever!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:06

Brown Sugar at Vredenburg in 2003

IORR in NJ in 1997, when Mick starts singing Starf***er

and maybe a special mention to the whole CNIB concert in 1979

Still the worse I ever had was 2 days ago : Chuck Berry in Paris (Olympia).
One hour of something that never should've happened...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:10

DP wrote:
Sympathy For The Devil - From Hold On Tight, MSG 1975: The bass is on the wrong barre throughout the song...
----------------------------------------

True, it's very hard to listen to that song... It's truly awful grinning smiley

Another one is Happy from the LA Friday boot, can't remember the actual date. Keith sings it completely out of everything.

But I suppose Happy is a (somewhat)screw-up on many mid-70's boots...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:21

I can remember Keith having to start Shelter twice in London B2B tour (2nd night)

C

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:23

The beginning of Brown Sugar from Vredenburg '03 was terrible but two days later Keith @#$%& it up again big time during the opening of the show with brown sugar.
During the Landgraaf show of '99 Keith @#$%& up Memory Motel. But here is the geniues of the band. The adjusted immediatly and i don't think a lot of people in crowd noticed it!!! At least not were i was standing because i laughed because Mick looked so strange at Keith and i said that to the people around me but nobody noticed anything different in the song.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: January 12, 2005 15:30

<During the Landgraaf show of '99 Keith @#$%& up Memory Motel. But here is the geniues of the band. The adjusted immediatly>

The same thing happened in Bremen 98, but there Keith said in the mike that Jagger was wrong or somehting (which he wasn't, of course smiling smiley )

Posted by: Hang Fire ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:33

My choice:
Phoenix 1981 - Let it Bleed.
Terrible start.
A real screw-up.

'In the sweet old country...'

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:50

July 13, 1978: Jagger's microphone goes dead after the intro to Brown Sugar. He eventually grabs another microphone from the drum riser. Boy, was he pissed.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 12, 2005 15:57

Doc, is there a review from the Chuck Berry gig on your homepage?

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 12, 2005 16:01

My favourite screw-up is Keith starting Happy on the wrong fret in Sydney 26/2/73. He instantly corrects himself in 0.47 second.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 12, 2005 16:05

Jumacfly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the intro of stray cat blues in Stockholm 2003!!
> gosh, awful!

Mick's first line, yes.

Posted by: Railing staine ()
Date: January 12, 2005 16:46

Stade de France 2003

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 12, 2005 17:14

KeithRichards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doc, is there a review from the Chuck Berry gig on
> your homepage?
>
>

No, not yet, because I cannot update during a few days (maintenance on the server)

I will post one ASAP
I recorded the show, and it's unbelievable how bad it was (concerning the guitar playing - but he sang really good).

I will have a review ready and update the webpage as soon as I am able to technically.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-12 17:15 by Doc.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2005 18:08

Can't believe nobody has mentioned their first live crack at LIB - 9/25/81 - after a minute or so they stop the song to inform Woody that he's playing in the wrong key.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 12, 2005 18:10

satisfaction marquee '71 bwaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhh

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2005 19:17

Theres one of the MSG shows from Januray 1998 - the 17th, I think - where the band start playing what sounds to all intents and purposes like Respectable, only for Mick to start singing When The Whip Comes Down instead. Somehow, it kinda works.

There was a compilation of similar screw ups offered on one of the bit torrent sites a few days ago (trader's den, I think)

Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: January 12, 2005 19:53

Did anyone catch Like a Rolling Stone from St. Louis pay per view BtB tour B-stage?
Mick has trouble with his battery pack and keeps pointing at it to one of the crew but keeps singing anyway. After the song when the band walks back to the main stage you can hear mick bitching out someone bigtime. Something like "never @#$%& again"!
I wonder if anyone got canned for that.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 12, 2005 20:05

JJF from the April '79 Benefit for the Blind comes to mind as does Brown Sugar from Pac Bell park in San Francisco on November 8th, 2002. But the all time champ has to be just Keith the night and joined Rockpile on stage on the day he got off from the Toronto bust. He was pissed as a newt and screwed "Let IT Rock" from start to finish but it was glorious!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2005 20:12

yes, Gazza - that's the infamous MSG version of "When the Whip Comes Respectably Down" - half the band playing one song, the other half playing the other. It's not clear which side won.

The same problem also happened during the 9/25/81 SFM encore - Keith keeps playing the JJF riff throughout. I don't think anyone had the heart to tell him - "right year (68), wrong song, Keith!"

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 12, 2005 20:14

Yes, there have been so many screw-ups in the past. I do remember Stray Cat Blues, Stockholm and Brown sugar in Vredenburg and GS intro in London 99. Another awful one was at the MTV Awards 1994 when they played a good version of LIS and then Mick screwed up SMU by starting the chorus some beats too early - in front of the running TV cameras and millions watching. If you want to listen to more real screw - ups, listen to "19 nervous breakdowns". I used to have this bootleg, but sold it after the first listening because first it's a big laugh to listen to all these mistakes but listening to them again and again is no fun. It's sad sad sad!

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: January 12, 2005 20:21

Greensboro July 1975.
Jagger fell down on the lotus stage during the show.
He then fell down a second time to pretend he meant to do it the first time but there's no doubt he did not mean to do it the first time.

Posted by: TT ()
Date: January 12, 2005 21:08

Charlie stops Midnight Rambler in Toronto 1999 (but there are 2 more lines to sing!). One of the best!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: January 12, 2005 21:13

Like a Rolling Stone, Cologne 1999.
Chuck starts the organ intro.....but no one follows him.
It was great funny to hear & see.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 12, 2005 21:15

What about the PPV broadcast from Miami on the Voodoo Lounge tour? With the whole world watching Keith starts the solo in SFTD on the wrong fret, so the whole solo is played in the wrong key! On the official video release of this show, the solo is magically fixed! But, if you look at a tape of the original PPV broadcast the horribly off-key solo is there!

Great Keef moment!

Ross

Posted by: thynnes ()
Date: January 12, 2005 21:18

There is a boot called "Cant Stop Rollin'" (picture disc) consisting of various radio shows from 1978. On Tumbling Dice Mick @#$%& up and starts the chorus too early, Keith keeps on and Mick singings´ly says:"oh, I am very sorry keith I rocked that @#$%&' words up" and joins in again.
On this lp the @#$%&' is overdubbed with a beep.
(At the end of TD the crowd sings "you got to roll me..." over and over.)

Does anybody know from which concert this boot is?

thynnes

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 12, 2005 21:22

Shepherd's Bush 98, "Melody": Keith (I think) plays lead lines all the way through the song in some totally different key.

Not a good thing that this thread is so long, but that's the Stone I guess!

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home