Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 77
Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Date: November 25, 2016 04:46

Another cry baby lib. Get over it already!

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 25, 2016 04:54

The best rule on this message board IMHO, RollingFreak, is no political comments. Plenty of people come here to get away from that, no matter what side they are on. Also, don't assume you are the smartest person in the room.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: November 25, 2016 14:57

bv
What happens if the price of a product is lower than the market price? Then there will be a black market and the scalpers will ask for the difference. You don't need the Nobel Price in economy to understand that a product should be priced by market price, not subsidized so that a 3rd party may get away with the difference between selling price and the going price in the market.

The Rolling Stones sell out 9 out of 10 shows. Their income from each and every show these days is 8-12 million US dollars, all over the world. If they sold tickets at half price then half of this for each and every show i.e. 4-6 million US dollars would be left for the scalpers to be collected.

It is not rocket science. It is plain market price facts. They are popular. Way too popular to be sold cheap.

Certainly in Britain most of the tickets are sold by scalpers (i.e. ticket angencies) because they get their hands on them before the general public do so please don't pretend the Stones are doing us any favours.

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: November 25, 2016 16:29

bv
What happens if the price of a product is lower than the market price? Then there will be a black market and the scalpers will ask for the difference. You don't need the Nobel Price in economy to understand that a product should be priced by market price, not subsidized so that a 3rd party may get away with the difference between selling price and the going price in the market.

The Rolling Stones sell out 9 out of 10 shows. Their income from each and every show these days is 8-12 million US dollars, all over the world. If they sold tickets at half price then half of this for each and every show i.e. 4-6 million US dollars would be left for the scalpers to be collected.

It is not rocket science. It is plain market price facts. They are popular. Way too popular to be sold cheap.

This is the most ridiculous explanation for high ticket prices I've ever heard.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: November 25, 2016 18:28

Agreed. Will never say anything even slightly "against" the Stones. Pure and simple they are beyond greedy and could sell tickets for wayyyy less and still make a LOT of money. There were a ton of empty seats at the second Vegas show. Embarrassing

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 25, 2016 19:59

potus43
Agreed. Will never say anything even slightly "against" the Stones. Pure and simple they are beyond greedy and could sell tickets for wayyyy less and still make a LOT of money. There were a ton of empty seats at the second Vegas show. Embarrassing

Let's play the overreaction game...
You win!

The second (only) Vegas show was a technical sellout. (14,133 out of 14,133)
Not that many empty seats considering the uncertainty of it even being held.

I paid $39 + fees and was in a section entirely made up of LD's where most of the empty seats were located (lower bowl, great seats!!). They had likely planned a second LD release to fill those prior to the uncertainty.

Very Impressive numbers from Billboard on the sales..
Current Boxscore

Rank Artist/Event Venue City/State Event Dates Gross Sales Attend/Capacity Shows/
Sellouts Prices Promoters
1 The Rolling Stones T-Mobile Arena Las Vegas, Nev. Oct. 22, 2016 $7,047,048 14,133 /
14,133 1 / 1 $750, $450, $150, $39.50 Concerts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-25 20:19 by MisterDDDD.

Date: November 25, 2016 20:05

Something tells me that facts won't help here, MisterDDDD.. smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 25, 2016 21:14

Potus43 likes make believe things.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 25, 2016 21:31

VOODOOSEBI
bv

So how would you solve the problem with scalpers if the tickets were cheap?

Bjornulf

Date: November 25, 2016 23:16

MisterDDDD
potus43

Let's play the overreaction game...
You win!

The second (only) Vegas show was a technical sellout. (14,133 out of 14,133)
Not that many empty seats considering the uncertainty of it even being held.

I paid $39 + fees and was in a section entirely made up of LD's where most of the empty seats were located (lower bowl, great seats!!). They had likely planned a second LD release to fill those prior to the uncertainty.

Very Impressive numbers from Billboard on the sales..
Current Boxscore

Rank Artist/Event Venue City/State Event Dates Gross Sales Attend/Capacity Shows/
Sellouts Prices Promoters
1 The Rolling Stones T-Mobile Arena Las Vegas, Nev. Oct. 22, 2016 $7,047,048 14,133 /
14,133 1 / 1 $750, $450, $150, $39.50 Concerts

Coincidentally I was LD - and luckily scored Section 8. There were tons of empty seats on THAT section and sprinkled around the arena. FACT

Date: November 25, 2016 23:39

potus43
Coincidentally I was LD - and luckily scored Section 8. There were tons of empty seats on THAT section and sprinkled around the arena. FACT

Facts are good. 14,133 of us for a cool $7+ million.
Another fact? There's nothing "embarrassing" about that.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 25, 2016 23:56

Harlem Shuffler
bv

Certainly in Britain most of the tickets are sold by scalpers (i.e. ticket angencies) because they get their hands on them before the general public do so please don't pretend the Stones are doing us any favours.

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 26, 2016 03:04

"The World's Greediest Rock and Roll Band".

More power to them and those willing to pay, but had they done a 'normal' tour of more than four shows (minus one cancellation) across the US, there's no way they could have asked $750 for the majority of arena seats across the country. Because it was so limited, and because they might be nearing the end of their touring days, many people justified the ridiculous price thinking 'this could be the last time'. As for me, I have more than enough good memories of seeing them throughout the years that I wasn't biting. The last truly great show I saw was Staples #2 w/MT '13, and before that Vredenburg '03 with many mediocre/decent shows in between. I saw them once for the Zip Code tour, and it was more than enough. For those reasons, I held out until the afternoon of the 2nd Vegas show and paid a fraction of the face value. The fact that I was already seeing them twice in the desert might have had an influence on my initial 'boycott' of Vegas, but I doubt I could have been swayed no matter what. Mick Taylor again would have been an enticement, but even that wouldn't have been enough to pay those outrageous prices. I tried for Lucky Dips, and that was the only way I would have gone, but alas that didn't work out for me. Turns out all ended well even if it was an abbreviated/subpar show of 18 songs with Mick being way below his standards. But there will always be those who will happily pay the price and/or defend everything the Stones do no matter how irrational it might seem to others.

In order to 'battle' the scalpers and keep prices lower, they could have done what many other bands do - sell directly through their website and/or have the ticket purchaser present w/ ID and credit card info. in order to enter arena. But no, they had to milk it for every possible cent they could get. I couldn't help but think what Mick was thinking in Vegas when he sang "It's Only Rock 'n Roll......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... (But I Like It)".

Date: November 26, 2016 05:42

" I couldn't help but think what Mick was thinking in Vegas when he sang "It's Only Rock 'n Roll......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... (But I Like It)".

Spoken like a true non-fan.
No disrespect intended, but with this attitude, Why Bother at all?

Again, respectfully, the disdain sounds almost entirely like sour grapes based on the price of admission likely based on personal finances. Not judging, so much as observing as I too couldn't afford the high end tickets, but have done EXTREMELY well with LD's and the best of the less expensive seats for a long time.

"The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band" you quote sarcastically, when as a matter of fact- and opinion of most (especially fans), they are.

Greatest of anything doesn't come cheap.. (sure a chevy gets you there, but wanna step up to a Lamborghini or Ferrari??) ..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 26, 2016 06:47

You're partially right MrDDDD, it's come down to me wondering why I bother at all, but I'm not alone in this thinking and it doesn't make me less of a fan. The only reason I saw them recently was because they were part of a six band package at Desert Trip - their first showed lacked something while the 2nd show was quite a bit better. As for the show in Vegas, I happened to be in town with my wife for her birthday at the time. When priced dropped to apprx. $250 on stubhub for $750 seats the afternoon of the show, it was too good of a deal to pass on. Have to say it was barely worth the money, time, and effort though even at that price - the only thing that made it worthwhile was seeing the look of surprise on my wife's face when I told her we were going, and she seemed to enjoy the experience for the most part. Eighteen songs with Mick still being unde the weather does not equate to a great Stones show imo, although Midnight Rambler is always a treat.

The glory days of seeing them live for me is a thing of the past - not only because of the prices they charge, but also because of the stale setlists and overall lack of quality in their performance - you would be in total denial to say they are as good as they once were. Personal finances are not an issue for me, it's a matter of principal. I've seen them so many times at this point, that paying an arm and a leg is not an option for what they give in return.
For you to say "spoken like a true non-Stones fan" is not only condescending and judgemental, it's completely false. One doesn't have to love every single thing they do in order to be a fan. Some fans - like yourself I gather - are extremely fanatical and will defend every single misstep they take (high prices, poor performance, etc.) while others like myself live in a reality that not all that glitters is gold. I still love the Stones and listen to their records all the time, but seeing them live has become somewhat dull at best. With that said, glad for those who still enjoy seeing them no matter what cost they're willing to pay.

edit: In response to your analogy that the "Greatest of anything doesn't come cheap.. (sure a chevy gets you there, but wanna step up to a Lamborghini or Ferrari??) .."

Keep in mind that these Lamborghini's and Ferrari's are 70+ years old and have hundreds of thousands of miles on them - they're a far cry from when they were brand new and/or running at their peak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-26 07:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 26, 2016 14:16

bv
VOODOOSEBI
bv

Probably the way that a lot of advocates here in England are continuously pushing the UK government to do ....... legislate and BAN the practice of selling tickets on the secondary market at above a minimal mark-up over the stated face value. There have been countless representations to government, countless 'government investigations' and subsequent reports & recommendations, but until now they have ALL without fail concluded that intervention of the legislative kind is not warranted and that the market will basically 'self-regulate'. Which of course it doesn't do, it just goes from bad to worse, more exploitative and manipulative than ever, and makes live music fans' lives more miserable than ever.

I know this is a Stones website and so we're all focused here on occasionally getting tickets to see our favourite band, but the whole secondary marketing thing affects just about EVERY SINGLE TYPE OF EVENT. It's not just music, it's sport, it's theatre, it's galleries, it's exhibitions, it's absolutely bloody everything.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-26 14:18 by paulywaul.

Date: November 26, 2016 19:24

MisterDDDD
potus43

Facts are good. 14,133 of us for a cool $7+ million.
Another fact? There's nothing "embarrassing" about that.

Someone's a bit, um, touchy. Do you get a share of the gate from them ?

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: November 28, 2016 03:49

[theprovince.com]

Here's an article from The Sunday Province newspaper in Vancouver addressing the subject.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 28, 2016 16:54

bv
VOODOOSEBI
bv

Just for the record, and since the topic of Nobel Prize regularly flashes up in this forum after a Nobel Price has been awarded to Bob Dylan: There is no Nobel Prize in Economics. winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 28, 2016 17:24

Of course there is: [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 28, 2016 17:29

Demand and supply.

If the show is not sold out, then I try to outlast the scalpers out front.
I'm prepared to leave without paying them more than my own preset limit (usually $60 - $80 ). If necessary, prepared to miss the first song or two.
And to have any chance of success, I always go alone to the show.

This year, I saw Alabama Shakes and Steely Dan in Camden, NJ... both for $20.
Steely Dan for $25 at PNC Arts Ctr in Holmdel, NJ*
Steely Dan at Beacon Theater in NYC for $50

*Craigslist on the day of the show. Also check a day or two before the show. I always avoid the broker ads.

Entertainment Center in Camden, NJ ...
From NYC, Northen New Jersey AVOID OVERPRICED (I think it's around $35) MUNICIPAL PARKING*
Drive to Pennsauken Transit Center. Park cheap and ride NJ Transit Light Rail to Entertainment Center

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 28, 2016 18:09

Stoneage

Is there a Nobel Prize in Economics?

Of course not. And sorry to contradict you. But the prize you mention does not belong to the Nobel Prizes established by Alfred Nobel in 1895. The prize you mention is something else, the Swedish National Bank's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, established in 1968, first awarded in 1969.

EDIT: It is Memory Nobel and rhymes with Memory Motel.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-28 18:14 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 28, 2016 19:50

Ban the scalpers (secondary market) and use tickets that are bar coded (i know they do that already ) but expand it ,if it does not scan right the first time it is garbage .

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 28, 2016 20:10

dead.flowers
Stoneage

Is there a Nobel Prize in Economics?

Of course not. And sorry to contradict you. But the prize you mention does not belong to the Nobel Prizes established by Alfred Nobel in 1895. The prize you mention is something else, the Swedish National Bank's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, established in 1968, first awarded in 1969.

EDIT: It is Memory Nobel and rhymes with Memory Motel.

Okey, if we are going to split hair I'll give you right. It's the same prize amount, ceremony and selecting board though. But technically you're right.

Date: November 28, 2016 21:03

dead.flowers
bv
VOODOOSEBI
bv

Just for the record, and since the topic of Nobel Prize regularly flashes up in this forum after a Nobel Price has been awarded to Bob Dylan: There is no Nobel Prize in Economics. winking smiley

Er... confused smiley

Would you rather...
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 28, 2016 20:16

Would you rather

pay $50 for a ticket to see standard-setlist, greatest-hits-only show

or

pay $500 for a show full of rare, obscure tracks, covers, surprises and guests?

(let's say both are front row tickets)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-28 20:17 by franzk.

Re: Would you rather...
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 28, 2016 20:17

I was afraid to open this but [whew!] the second one.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: November 28, 2016 20:20

Second one, if I had $550...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 28, 2016 20:22

Before I can answer that:
Who are the "guests"???
winking smiley

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: November 28, 2016 20:22

I Know we all Love The Stones in our on way here, but just got through listening to the "Havana Moon' cd's then to add again, they don't owe us anything, We're just very luck they are still doing it, but man it would be great just to get a 'Live album' from them of stuff we've never heard live before. I would love for them just to do some clubs shows and play the new album complete and nothing else....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home