Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677Next
Current Page: 74 of 77
Re: THE ROLLING STONES SHOULD GIVE UP
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 6, 2018 13:22

pftw04
I am not here to bash THE ROLLING STONES.Indeed they are the greatest rock and roll band in the world. They have created a history by continuing for 50+ years and I feel no band or singer has achieved that fate.
People began to write off Keith Richards in 2007 after his debacle performance,however he came back strongly after 5 years to prove the critics wrong. All the shows since 2012 till now were great. Mick a true frontman,Keith well a engine of the band,Ronnie and Charlie too.
But now I feel they should give up. As they are in mid 70s.

That is a very strange reason for quitting, being of age mid 70's... There are many important people in the world who are at that age or older. For me it is very simple. Every person on this planet is relevant, and every person on this planet should be able to do what they like, as long as they do not offend or break the law. The fact that a million or so people enjoyed the Stones during the past year or so says it all. No reason to quit.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rara ()
Date: August 6, 2018 13:48

bv
pftw04
I am not here to bash THE ROLLING STONES.Indeed they are the greatest rock and roll band in the world. They have created a history by continuing for 50+ years and I feel no band or singer has achieved that fate.
People began to write off Keith Richards in 2007 after his debacle performance,however he came back strongly after 5 years to prove the critics wrong. All the shows since 2012 till now were great. Mick a true frontman,Keith well a engine of the band,Ronnie and Charlie too.

That is a very strange reason for quitting, being of age mid 70's... There are many important people in the world who are at that age or older. For me it is very simple. Every person on this planet is relevant, and every person on this planet should be able to do what they like, as long as they do not offend or break the law. The fact that a million or so people enjoyed the Stones during the past year or so says it all. No reason to quit.

Amen.

Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2018 13:50

My favourite troll on IORR is MRSM50 (or whatever his moniker was). He was trolling with finesse. And humour. Remember when he made everyone furious by claiming Dirty Work to be their finest album?
Or The Sons of The Beatles? Or The October Moon? I wonder if he's still around?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 6, 2018 13:58

I'm going to be 69 next week myself, so naturally the argument that older people should be obliged to stop doing something simply by reason of age is not one that appeals to me!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 6, 2018 14:08

bv
pftw04

It was actually 1.5 million, Bjornulf! The balance of opinion is that they were even better this year than last so definitely no reason to stop. I think they'll know themselves when to stop and that time certainly isn't here yet.

56 & Counting thumbs up

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: August 6, 2018 14:19

i wish i could complain about ticket prices now..

looking forward to the announcements of the next tour smiling smiley))

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: August 6, 2018 14:19

Stoneage
My favourite troll on IORR is MRSM50 (or whatever his moniker was). He was trolling with finesse. And humour. Remember when he made everyone furious by claiming Dirty Work to be their finest album?

Wasn't that HMS (Doity Work now?)?

Date: August 6, 2018 14:32

I guess so, Dandy. He had several monikers. Great guy.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 6, 2018 14:55

Wasn't HMS and GasLightStreet the same person?

Date: August 6, 2018 15:06

TheBlockbuster

On the contrary, Blockbuster. Quite the opposite...

Date: August 6, 2018 16:11

TheBlockbuster

grinning smiley That would have been great fun, if true grinning smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 6, 2018 16:21

Hairball
Until they finish the new album and tour for at least five more years, they should not give up!
Even then, they should keep on rolling as long as they please... thumbs up

I would very much like to support the quoted post, especially with some emphasis pronounced.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 6, 2018 16:28

Best response yet, Straycat13!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 6, 2018 16:40

Rocky Dijon

...Then why not quote/ reply to it, so that it is included in your own post?
Now you made me curious, and I can’t find that response you’revrefering at, nor any other straycat13’s posts, in any of the 3 last pages... (and I’m nót planning on looking beyond that...) smoking smiley

Date: August 6, 2018 16:43

RoughJusticeOnYa
Rocky Dijon

...Then why not quote/ reply to it, so that it is included in your own post?
Now you made me curious, and I can’t find that response you’revrefering at, nor any other straycat13’s posts, in any of the 3 last pages... (and I’m nót planning on looking beyond that...) smoking smiley

Found it!

«THE ROLLING STONES SHOULD GIVE UP IN THEIR 70’s?!?? What are you thinking?! They’ve got BABIES to feed!!»

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 6, 2018 18:59

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
vertigojoe
DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Define troll.

Having an opinion, and expressing it, is fine.

Starting a thread and seeking special attention, saying our favourite band should give up, is as troll-ish as it gets. You can't troll more than that on a Stones board grinning smiley

Thank you Dandy. Put it better than I could

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 6, 2018 19:09

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
vertigojoe
DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Define troll.

Starting a thread and seeking special attention, saying our favourite band should give up, is as troll-ish as it gets. You can't troll more than that on a Stones board grinning smiley

Ahem.......................................They should have given up years ago......................................................................................................................................................................................................

When Mick Taylor left...........................>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 6, 2018 19:41

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Wasn't that HMS (Doity Work now?)?

Wait what?

Yes it was HMS who worshiped Dirty Work, but HMS is now Doity Work?
Can't be! Say it ain't so!

Date: August 6, 2018 20:14

EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
vertigojoe
DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Define troll.

Ahem.......................................They should have given up years ago......................................................................................................................................................................................................

When Mick Taylor left...........................>grinning smiley<

smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2018 22:12

They should go on as long as they want. It's a business. They don't give a crap about marring their legacy. They are basically the ambassadors for what happened between 1962 and around 1992. The rest is skating off that legacy. Bill didn't care for that part of the journey and took an off ramp. They are not the Rolling Stones anymore, they are a version of the Rolling Stones. If Mick hadn't stayed in such good physical shape it probably would have petered out years ago. Good health to them, and keep releasing those From The Vault Releases.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 6, 2018 22:29

Straycat13
THE ROLLING STONES SHOULD GIVE UP IN THEIR 70’s?!?? What are you thinking?! They’ve got BABIES to feed!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hey RoughJusticeOnYa, this was the quote I loved. My post was done before the threads were merged and then it all went a bit funny.

Oh never mind. Darn you, Bard! Where's that report button?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 22:35 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 6, 2018 22:30

24FPS
They should go on as long as they want. It's a business. They don't give a crap about marring their legacy. They are basically the ambassadors for what happened between 1962 and around 1992. The rest is skating off that legacy. Bill didn't care for that part of the journey and took an off ramp. They are not the Rolling Stones anymore, they are a version of the Rolling Stones. If Mick hadn't stayed in such good physical shape it probably would have petered out years ago. Good health to them, and keep releasing those From The Vault Releases.

All eras of the Rolling Stones have been a "version" of the Rolling Stones.
The current one is fantastic! I think you give Wyman too much credit, he was no psychic and likely still privately often kicks himself in the arse for quitting. Their legacy is also likely extremely important to them.

Other than that, I agree completely cool smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 6, 2018 23:16

24FPS

This is where i have a different opinion to most, i don't think Mick has to be in great physical shape to sell tickets, i think if he moved less and kept it tight with the band and did all the cool moves around the Mic stand he would sell just as many tickets. The music is what makes this band what it is, not doing a cardio workout in front of 70 thousand fans.

Roger Daltrey is singing better than in years and the Who are still very successful live, but he doesn't jog around the stage like that, just concentrates on the vocals and its great. I honestly think if Mick didn't over do it so much he would sing even better and would be less likely to keep getting throat problems.
Mick is pushing that body to the limit and somethings gotta give, i would like to see him calm down a bit now and perhaps put more effort into singing songs he hasn't sang in a while, concentrate his efforts into giving a more varied show without having to constantly wonder what catwalk to jog down and when to clap or wave to the crowd. The music does all that, the power of it is enough in itself to get everyone exited. There is a deep seated insecurity in Mick that prevents him from taking chances with set-lists and it also makes him too eager to please the crowd, he doesn't need to do all that moving, if you ever see Mick performing in a small environment he is mesmerizing, like Keith once said, Mick can work that coffee table, he really can.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2018 00:45

MisterDDDD
24FPS

All eras of the Rolling Stones have been a "version" of the Rolling Stones.
The current one is fantastic! I think you give Wyman too much credit, he was no psychic and likely still privately often kicks himself in the arse for quitting. Their legacy is also likely extremely important to them.

Other than that, I agree completely cool smiley

Yes, but it's not a relevant version in the overall history of the band. This isn't the psychedelic version, the pop version, the disco version, etc. Starting with Voodoo Lounge they became the retro Stones, lesser versions of previous achievements. Except for the strangely dated sound of BTB, most of it has been weak echos. You hear songs off A Bigger Bang and think, 'Wait, that sounds like something they already did'.

This is the State Fair on steroids version of the band; All the Hits, All the Time, and scant else. They don't even change from tour to tour now. They pretty much have sounded like the same band for almost twenty years. The reason the hits were more palatable in the past is they were performed by the newest version of the Stones in a new style each tour. 1969 doesn't sound like 1972. 1975 doesn't sound like 1972.

I think Bill was quite prescient. He could see they were headed to repeating themselves over and over and over. The press states that he is estimated to be worth $80 Million. Mick Taylor $300,000, which I'm sure is mostly from his recent touring. I'm sure Bill doesn't kick himself in the ass. He got to retire relatively young, and does whatever he wants. His restaurant has gone on for 25 years or so. That has to be a few bob in his pocket.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 7, 2018 02:42

U touched on a question that came up in London in May -- does Wyman still own the restaurant or does he not and if not, has the memorabilia there changed? Someone said that he had sold out, but that he had bought back in not long ago.

plexi

Date: August 7, 2018 03:26

timbernardis
U touched on a question that came up in London in May -- does Wyman still own the restaurant or does he not and if not, has the memorabilia there changed? Someone said that he had sold out, but that he had bought back in not long ago.

plexi

Was there in June, and while not familiar with what he's had on the walls before, found an amazing amount of memorabilia- definitely his.

Date: August 7, 2018 03:32

24FPS
Yes, but it's not a relevant version in the overall history of the band. This isn't the psychedelic version, the pop version, the disco version, etc. Starting with Voodoo Lounge they became the retro Stones, lesser versions of previous achievements. Except for the strangely dated sound of BTB, most of it has been weak echos. You hear songs off A Bigger Bang and think, 'Wait, that sounds like something they already did'.

This is the State Fair on steroids version of the band; All the Hits, All the Time, and scant else. They don't even change from tour to tour now. They pretty much have sounded like the same band for almost twenty years. The reason the hits were more palatable in the past is they were performed by the newest version of the Stones in a new style each tour. 1969 doesn't sound like 1972. 1975 doesn't sound like 1972.

I think Bill was quite prescient. He could see they were headed to repeating themselves over and over and over. The press states that he is estimated to be worth $80 Million. Mick Taylor $300,000, which I'm sure is mostly from his recent touring. I'm sure Bill doesn't kick himself in the ass. He got to retire relatively young, and does whatever he wants. His restaurant has gone on for 25 years or so. That has to be a few bob in his pocket.

Nah, was joking, I'm sure he doesn't kick himself.. not his style.
But the rest of the band have sure been quick to point out (even Charlie) the unfortunate timing ($) of his departure. Also- I sell restaurant equip for a living (watch a lot of them come and go) and can fairly confidently assure you, his "Classic American" themed restaurant isn't netting him that many bobs (or teds or jacks cool smiley )

Believe his timing had very little to do with what you theorize though, but he's done just fine with his various ventures and royalties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 03:35 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 7, 2018 04:20

24FPS
This is the State Fair on steroids version of the band; All the Hits, All the Time, and scant else.

That's a fair description.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: August 7, 2018 06:31

Rocky Dijon

Hahaha grinning smiley Thank you, Rocky Dijon! (Who would’ve ever thought it?)

Date: August 7, 2018 09:59

About Bill: He quit when they had nothing more to prove. He hasn't really missed out on anything artistically. They were pretty much done in 1990 (or some might say even 1982). He said that himself. And he was right.
I'm sure he kicks himself about the money though. His burger joint is peaunuts in comparison. If even that. Maybe there were other reasons behind his decision as well? Maybe he was tired of being the second banana
in the band with no influence on decisions whatsoever? Maybe his scare of flying had something to do with it? Who knows? The only thing we know is that he wasn't properly replaced.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677Next
Current Page: 74 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home