Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6667686970717273747576...LastNext
Current Page: 71 of 77
Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 5, 2018 03:38

Yes, hey, JN99, I am happy for you! The pull is strong, indeed!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2018 04:12

Gazza
bv
I paid $300 every night to be on the floor at the three MSG shows in January 1998. It is now 20 years ago so ticket prices have been at a certain level all the time. These three MSG shows cost me more than the flight Oslo-NYC and also the hotel, but having close contact on the B-stage every nightw as all worth it, especially during the special hand delivery of a pick to me by Keith at MSG2.

[iorr.org]

In fairness, the ticket prices on that tour were around $65. Those shows were an exception,

If memory serves, for the US leg of the Licks tour, the highest priced regular tickets maxed out at $350 (VIP's maybe $500 give or take) and that might have been for the arenas - stadium tix could have been less.
During 50 and Counting, they nearly doubled, and *Vegas '16 they more than doubled - all floor seats and a large portion of lower loge were priced at 750+ fees taking them over the $800 barrier.
If they ever return to the US, wouldn't be surprised if they hit a staggering $1,000 for a standard regular priced ticket.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 6, 2018 07:13

i've paid $500 and $600 USD for club shows in '99 and '02 --- it was worth it then and i might pay that now....for a club show only

Date: March 6, 2018 07:39

little queenie
i've paid $500 and $600 USD for club shows in '99 and '02 --- it was worth it then and i might pay that now....for a club show only

I paid a staggering $1,000 face value for the Joint show in Vegas '02 - thought I had lost my mind, but also thought that it was my only chance to see them in a club. And then came the Europe leg '03 where I paid apprx. $75-$100 (give or take) face value for a couple of club/theater shows, so it all sort of balanced out. Ironically, the Joint show was the least favorite.

If I ever had the opportunity to see them in a club or theater again, not sure what I'd be willing to pay ...depends...maybe upwards to $500 max but it would have to include a game of snooker with Ronnie and Keith telling me his favorite Beatles story lol...and one of Charlies drumsticks hand delivered to me front row center by the man himself. smiling smiley

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: March 6, 2018 09:11

I paid 32$ usd for a show in Louisville,Ky on the Steel Wheel's Tour and thought that was a King's ransom...I was still a Teen then....Ha ha...My 1st show...Living Color was the opener...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 6, 2018 10:15

Perhaps if we start moaning about the set list now...folks will get it out of their systems before the tour starts

...and then we can have some peace grinning smiley

Posted by: anakin91 ()
Date: March 6, 2018 16:22

It's pretty crazy (but mostly sad and unfair) to set these kind of prices for concerts in Poland or Czechia. Simple economy:
Imagine you live and work in France and your salary is a minimum (aprox 8-9E/h). To buy the cheapest ticket for Marseille show you would have to work for less than 8h so simply one working day. And in the same time a person who earn polish minimal salary to afford the cheapest ticket for Warsaw show would have to work more than 40h so whole working week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-06 16:23 by anakin91.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 6, 2018 16:47

<<and one of Charlies drumsticks hand delivered to me front row center by the man himself.>>

As happened once to me in a small London pub after everyone had left the room. I went up to Charlie, who was still packing up, and rather cheekily asked him after a few other words if he was giving away any drumsticks. He duly gave me one. Such an obliging gentleman!

Date: March 6, 2018 16:59

Beast
<>

As happened once to me in a small London pub after everyone had left the room. I went up to Charlie, who was still packing up, and rather cheekily asked him after a few other words if he was giving away any drumsticks. He duly gave me one. Such an obliging gentleman!

thumbs up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 6, 2018 17:44

little queenie

As I recall, $50 was the standard price for a theatre show on the Licks tour (I think it was £50 in the UK). The only exception being the one in Las Vegas which were far far higher (and which got a non-club show setlist)

The only theatre sized gig in 1999 was Shepherds Bush. Tickets were £10.

There were a couple of club shows in the US on the 97-98 tour but the only one I can think of that was pricey was the Joint at the Hard Rock in Vegas in feb'98. The other gigs were warm up shows which cost little more than a cover charge ($7 or something for the Double Door show)

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 7, 2018 03:02

Beast
<>

Fantastic! Where do you keep it?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 7, 2018 13:23

Some nice person made me a wooden stand for it, so there it sits on one of the shelves of my Stones bookcase. [End of OT, folks - sorry for the diversion].

Posted by: RockIt ()
Date: March 7, 2018 13:32

GC tix for the London gigs are not going to sell out quickly at these exuberant prices!Still for sale after more than a week!!! Looks like AXS is the scalper now... thumbs down

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 7, 2018 13:49

Great news - there is going to be a crackdown on secondary ticket websites in the UK.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

The advertising watchdog has clamped down on four of the main secondary ticketing websites by banning their "misleading" pricing information.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has taken action against StubHub, Viagogo, Seatwave and GetMeIn after finding that they were not upfront and clear with consumers about additional ticket fees and charges that were added at the end of the booking process.

It has banned the websites from not making the total ticket price, VAT-inclusive booking fee and delivery fee clear at the start of the booking process.

The ASA has banned Viagogo from claiming that it is the "official site" after it misleadingly implied it was an official primary ticket outlet rather than a second-hand ticket website.

Viagogo is also banned from making a "100% Guarantee" claim in its ads which the ASA said misleadingly suggested that consumers were guaranteed entry to the relevant venue.

The ASA found there was a reasonable risk that customers could be denied entry with a ticket bought from a secondary site.

Singer Amy Macdonald has also warned music fans about resellers

ASA chief executive Guy Parker said: "Many of us will recognise the frustration of being happy with the initial price of tickets on a secondary website only to be stung by hefty fees when we come to book.

"The message from our rulings is simple and it's clear: The price you see at the start should be the price you pay at the end."

A StubHub spokeswoman said: "As a consumer-first ticket marketplace, StubHub supports any measures which make ticket buying easier, more convenient and more transparent for fans.

"We welcome this opportunity to work closely with the ASA and we will be fully compliant with its decision.

"We hope that other players in the ticketing industry, including primary issuers, follow suit."

In November the competition watchdog announced it was taking enforcement action against secondary ticketing websites suspected of breaking consumer law.

The Competition and Markets Authority, which did not identify the sites, had been investigating the market.

A number of artists including Ed Sheeran, Mumford And Sons, Radiohead and Amy Macdonald have encouraged music lovers to stop using Viagogo, GetMeIn, StubHub and Seatwave.

A spokeswoman for Ticketmaster, which owns Seatwave and GetMeIn, said: "Our ticket resale sites already ensure fans know exactly what they will pay at every stage of the buying process, displaying all fees as soon as the customer selects and submits the number of tickets they are looking to buy.

"We will continue to work with both the ASA and the CMA to further develop levels of transparency and consumer protection within the UK ticketing sector."

Alex Neill, Which? managing director of home products and services, said: "It's absolutely right that the ASA has stepped in to prevent secondary ticketing websites from misleading people and potentially leaving them disappointed and out of pocket.

"With people increasingly finding that they have to buy tickets through secondary sites, the sector must be closely scrutinised and action should be taken against companies that aren't playing by the rules."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 13:51 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 7, 2018 18:42

Complaint number 2115. Just for the sake of it!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 15, 2018 23:37

Interesting read on what they now refer to as Dynamic Pricing in the Rolling Stone.
Article is on Taylor Swift and others and surprisingly doesn't mention the Stones, who've been utilizing a variation of it for a while now.

Taylor Swift's Ticket Strategy: Brilliant Business or Slowing Demand?
Superstars like Swift are increasingly using "dynamic pricing" that shifts ticket prices constantly like airline seats. But is it the future of the industry?
[www.rollingstone.com]

Rolling Stones High Ticket Prices - IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY
Date: April 29, 2018 16:04

Re: Rolling Stones High Ticket Prices - IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY
Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 30, 2018 02:40

If you made minimum wage in the US in 1969, it was $1.30 an hour. Now its roughly $10 - $11 an hour.

In '69 you had to work about 6.5 hours to afford a top tier ticket. ($8.50)

Now, Lucky Dips aside, it would be at least 10 hours of wages to afford even a nosebleed, never mind Gold Pits and the like.

It's never been just about the workingman, and many/most of them probably don't make just minimum wage, but they have become an even more marginalized fanbase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 02:41 by mosthigh.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 30, 2018 02:56

mosthigh
If you made minimum wage in the US in 1969, it was $1.30 an hour. Now its roughly $10 - $11 an hour.

In '69 you had to work about 6.5 hours to afford a top tier ticket. ($8.50)

Now, Lucky Dips aside, it would be at least 10 hours of wages to afford even a nosebleed, never mind Gold Pits and the like.

It's never been just about the workingman, and many/most of them probably don't make just minimum wage, but they have become an even more marginalized fanbase.

Don't disagree, but it's not quite as black and white as the numbers indicate. Entertainment prices have gone up exponentially across the board, not just the Stones and other bands. NFL tix (or other pro leagues) in '69 vs today is one example. Also, back in the day album sales accounted for much more percentage of a bands revenue compared to today. To keep music going, almost regardless of band or genre, it takes fans to buy the tickets to see them live to keep it going.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 30, 2018 03:33

well it's a lot more than 6.5 hours of work at minimum wage for the top tier now

Date: April 30, 2018 03:39

The sad and ironic part is, as Rolling Stones tickets escalate with each tour, the less the fans are given in return as far as musicianship and creativity goes. Of course some fans choose to live in the past along with the Stones and will try and justify the cost no matter what, but it's really unprecedented to see an oldies act at such a cost. With 95% of the setlists consististing of songs over 35 years old, the cost of nostalgia has become very expensive. Seeing the poor sales of this current tour might have seen them take it a step too far, but at their old age can't blame them for milking it for all they can I suppose, though they probably won't be able to push it much further if they continue to tour.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 30, 2018 03:48

The high bar on ticket prices for nostalgia shows by washups fleecing fans on trips down memory lane was definitely set by Elvis Presley and his $15 tickets in the 1970's.

Date: April 30, 2018 04:27

Dan
The high bar on ticket prices for nostalgia shows by washups fleecing fans on trips down memory lane was definitely set by Elvis Presley and his $15 tickets in the 1970's.

If Elvis was still alive today, chances are he might have released a recent blues covers album like the Stones (or maybe several of them).
And at 83 years of age, there might still be fans flocking to be in his presence no matter the cost or the deteriorating skill level of his performance.
Can't imagine how high the prices would be, but many of the the diehards would be ready and willing no matter what.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 04:28 by Hairball.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 30, 2018 07:14

to watch celtic v rangers in the 1977 cup final was 70p, now it would be around £30

football admission prices have inflated massively over the years, as other entertainment has.

begs the question, why did we get things so cheap back in those days.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 30, 2018 07:27

Well in song by Kris Kristofferson "Blame it on the Stones" but you can't blame this issue on them, Blame the damn Eagles " When Hell Froze Over" that's when tix prices started getting jacked-up.....

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 30, 2018 07:56

Mr Burns: "...and to think people laughed when I bought Ticketmaster..."

Smithers: "Insures a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant." - The Simpsons

Add uberfans to that, and it kinda sums it up.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 30, 2018 08:33

BamaStone
Well in song by Kris Kristofferson "Blame it on the Stones" but you can't blame this issue on them, Blame the damn Eagles " When Hell Froze Over" that's when tix prices started getting jacked-up.....

This tour went on sale about six weeks before Voodoo Lounge and made those $55 tickets seem cheap in comparison when in fact that was still nearly twice as much as anyone was asked to pay for mediocre seats in a stadium before.

The test cases for "high priced" tickets with $35-45 Golden Circle seats were the Yes and Steve Winwood tours of 1991, except these were mostly bomb tours in a year when overall concert sales were down a staggering 25% from the year before.

So they were trying but had to back off a bit for a few years.

It seemed like classic rock was almost dead when in 1994 you suddenly had The Eagles, Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones as well as 95% the groups who ever existed suddenly going on tour at the same time and people willingly paying more than they ever had before.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 30, 2018 09:19

The first time I paid those crazy prices was in Vegas on the 94 tour.$300,$200 and $100 for main floor,lower and upper at the garden.
All the other dates were around $50 or so.

The Vegas shows sold out for two nights and it seemed they got away with it so may as well try it everywhere, the fans bought it and here we are today.

I bailed in 2015 after 40 years.love the band but I can’t pay another couple of grand to see brown sugar and start me up AGAIN.they don’t even have the creative,expensive stages anymore,it surprises me how many people actually still show up to be honest.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 30, 2018 13:35

Prices in 1969 etc. were considered pretty high in 1969ff. But they were not absurd. Inflation-adjusted an average ticket in the 1970s maybe costed 1/3 compared with an average ticket today. Not to speak of the Pit prices etc.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 30, 2018 13:52

for Germany: The average gross income for a fulltime job is about 4200 Euros a month (for a single person that's some 2300 Euros net). Pit tickets are 799 Euros… – you get the problem

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6667686970717273747576...LastNext
Current Page: 71 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home