Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 77
Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Date: September 12, 2017 09:51

<1) Today, a poster who hates what The Rolling Stones have become was called a child molester by another poster. Apparently, the Stones-hater is no longer part of our 'community' while the pedophile-label-flinger is tolerated ... perhaps since his primary impulse was to stand up for the reputation of the band this website purports to discuss>

This is dishonest, imo.

You know well that it was another poster who referred to research, saying that trolls get some of the same kind of satisfaction as molesters by causing a riot and the «feedback» that follows.

And this:

«...since his primary impulse was to stand up for the reputation of the band this website purports to discuss»

Starting multiple threads AND ridiculing other posters is NOT «to stand up for» anything – it's trolling.

You're a smart and funny guy, LongBeach. I also admire your ability to (albeit to a lesser degree) making fun of yourself, while you're being funny on other people's behalf.

The former is charming. The latter not so much.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 12, 2017 10:21

Dandelion, I believe Longbeach was referring to the person who called the other a molester as being the one whose "primary impulse was to stand up for the reputation of the band".
In the midst of defending the Stones, he (the "pedophile-label-flinger") threw out some crazy insults...or added on to what someone else had previously mentioned.

Anyhow, it's a bit of a soap opera, and looks like we won't be hearing from stones-relics any more.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 12, 2017 10:35

LongBeachArena72
Now THIS is some entertaining bullshit right here--bravo to all concerned!

One thing I realized about iorr a long time ago ... and having realized it, I found some peace and now cruise in and out every few months as time permits:

This is not really a Stones community. It's a heavily moderated message board which mostly discusses The Rolling Stones, but which mainly reflects the sense of decorum of its proprietor. The electronic denizens herein (myself included, when I participate) accede to this condition and when we partake of iorr's fruits we know we are doing so under a watchful eye whose predilections are sometimes odd but whose interventions we suffer for the greater good of chatting about The Rolling Stones with somewhat like-minded souls.

Two recent events illustrate the factors in play here:

1) Today, a poster who hates what The Rolling Stones have become was called a child molester by another poster. Apparently, the Stones-hater is no longer part of our 'community' while the pedophile-label-flinger is tolerated ... perhaps since his primary impulse was to stand up for the reputation of the band this website purports to discuss.

2) Even the most fervent of the band's admirers must admit that by and large the Stones no longer really matter in today's world. (This is no particular knock on the band; very few musicians actually do matter anymore.) But there was one occasion a few weeks back when the band was very much a topic of conversation out in the wider world: the use of Rolling Stones songs at campaign rallies by Donald Trump. Now Trump is a lot of things to a lot of people; one thing many people do agree on is that he is the most polarizing figure in American politics since George Wallace. In other words, like him or not, he is of historical importance. And he plays TONS OF STONES SONGS at his rallies ... why? What does this mean? People outside of fandom actually discussed this. It was an example of an issue in which The Stones had some level of notoriety/publicity outside their bubble of fandom. This was huge news. The Stones were at the center of yet another controversy ... after decades of (relative) irrelevance. Surely there would be a wide-ranging discussion on the most important (?) Stones board on the planet about what this all meant ... and yet there of course wasn't, since the topic was deemed too 'political' for users here to be able to discuss as adults.

iorr is what it is. Once you understand the rules you can usually manage to go along to get along. And if anything upsets you, you can always use the 'Report This Message' feature to bring to our moderator's attention anything which offends your sensibility or which threatens your perception of and enjoyment of your favorite band. And if our proprietor agrees with you, well, then, bingo-bango-bongo, problem-solved, content deleted!

totally agree. Well written post!

Date: September 12, 2017 10:49

I too wish the beer was free in the store. But there are rules - we have to pay for it.

There are rules here on IORR as well. Big surprise..

It seems like some people never get accustomed to not being able to do precisely what they want at this place. Why is that?

Forums have moderators. They moderate. If I should guess, the main reason for moderation has nothing to do with dictatorship or ego – but rather that the participants should get the best experience possible.

Everybody says stupid things now and again. I've banned from this site myself. However, the worst thing you can do on a forum like this, imo, is to sabotage for others, just for the fun of it. That happened here yesterday, and... surprise... somebody got pissed off! Troll's mission accomplished..

Ironically, we had good discussions yesterday. Yes, discussions: About whether SFTD was a good opener or not, How Keith's playing was, how the rarities worked in concert, the pit experience, whether certain band members interacted during the concert, about the tempo of the songs etc..

That's discussion. What stones-relics did has nothing to do with discussion. It's trolling. And he's been on here since 1997, so he knew what he was doing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 10:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 12, 2017 14:31

Yes...
But i would argue being called a paedophile is a bit worse that a person making critical comments about The Stones.
Sure, he went a bit far but i find it strange that the poster who called him a paedophile is still allowed to post on this board. I find the term he used repulsive in every way.

Ok..back to complaints thread. Having listened to the entire Hamburg show i can safely say Keith, in particular, was virtually incapable of stringing 2 decent notes together. Its actually sad to listen to.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as it is the first show, but he would need to improve a bit to make these shows a pleasant listening experience.

Date: September 12, 2017 14:32

Eleanor Rigby
Yes...
But i would argue being called a paedophile is a bit worse that a person making critical comments about The Stones.
Sure, he went a bit far but i find it strange that the poster who called him a paedophile is still allowed to post on this board. I find the term he used repulsive in every way.

Ok..back to complaints thread. Having listened to the entire Hamburg show i can safely say Keith, in particular, was virtually incapable of stringing 2 decent notes together. Its actually sad to listen to.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as it is the first show, but he would need to improve a bit to make these shows a pleasant listening experience.

What did you think of his UMT-solo?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 12, 2017 14:39

Eleanor Rigby
Yes...

With all due respect, have you listened to Under My Thumb, Street Fighting Man or Start Me Up, let alone Slipping Away. It was the best version of Slipping Away i have ever heard. Sure there is room for improvement with keith, i admit he was bit distracted for some reason, but its too early to judge him. He historically doesn't shine on opening nights

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 12, 2017 15:07

Other people have made basically the same points but in a more diplomatic manner and not knocking those who loved the show.
The person who fired back with that insulting comment -- well, that was out of line, and it annoys me when people claim to speak for Stones fans. Speak for yourself only. I don't get offended when people have different opinions.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 12, 2017 15:09

LongBeachArena72

This is not really a Stones community. It's a heavily moderated message board which mostly discusses The Rolling Stones, but which mainly reflects the sense of decorum of its proprietor.

Out of all the tens of thousands of posts on IORR I may have deleted may be 20-30 the last week, and probably not deleted any posts for weeks and weeks before the tour start.

Sure IORR is moderated, but 99% or more of what people say here will stay here. Even 99% of the totally off topic posts stay here. So saying IORR is "Heavily moderated" makes no sense.

You have to remember the fact that IORR is a private web site paid for and moderated by me, one person, the editor. There is not a staff here. I spend my spare time cleaning up if somebody say something that is offending many others. Still 99% or more of the time people are free to speak.

If someone is willing to pay for several fulltime moderators then I could open for political talks here sure, but I can't see the reason why we should discuss the president of the USA here. Sorry.

Thanks to everyone who support my work running IORR. It is easy to make critical comments, but it would be a lot more helpful with support really.

Bjornulf

Date: September 12, 2017 15:26

wonderboy
Other people have made basically the same points but in a more diplomatic manner and not knocking those who loved the show.
The person who fired back with that insulting comment -- well, that was out of line, and it annoys me when people claim to speak for Stones fans. Speak for yourself only. I don't get offended when people have different opinions.

But this time it didn't have anything to do with difference of opinions?

I won't start three threads about the same topic here, spitting out insults - calling people names – just because I have a different opinion about a matter.

It's the insults, the unnecessary multiple threads and the rotten vibe that occurs from this that offends me – not whether a lunatic I don't know likes the Stones or not. I couldn't care less about the latter.

Sometimes we go too far when we feel offended (I'm no exception - I'm taking the bait far too often..), and the troll gets what he came for, unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 15:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 12, 2017 16:28

DandelionPowderman
<1) Today, a poster who hates what The Rolling Stones have become was called a child molester by another poster. Apparently, the Stones-hater is no longer part of our 'community' while the pedophile-label-flinger is tolerated ... perhaps since his primary impulse was to stand up for the reputation of the band this website purports to discuss>

This is dishonest, imo.

You know well that it was another poster who referred to research, saying that trolls get some of the same kind of satisfaction as molesters by causing a riot and the «feedback» that follows.

And this:

«...since his primary impulse was to stand up for the reputation of the band this website purports to discuss»

Starting multiple threads AND ridiculing other posters is NOT «to stand up for» anything – it's trolling.

You're a smart and funny guy, LongBeach. I also admire your ability to (albeit to a lesser degree) making fun of yourself, while you're being funny on other people's behalf.

I'm not sure I can unravel the clusterfuck of misunderstanding here. Clearly there was an original poster who made a passive aggressive comment about trolls and then headed for the safety of the sidelines. Then the 'pedophile' flinger emerged to actually pin the label the Stones-hater. I suppose you could say that at least the second poster had the courage of this convictions!

I was simply trying to point out that it seemed to me that calling someone a pedophile seemed to be more acceptable than hating The Stones.

And, in less important news, I am sorry you find me occasionally less than charming; while I do not agree with many of your musical opinions, I find you the very epitome of Scandinavian grace!

Date: September 12, 2017 16:36

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

This is dishonest, imo.

And this:

I'm not sure I can unravel the clusterfuck of misunderstanding here. Clearly there was an original poster who made a passive aggressive comment about trolls and then headed for the safety of the sidelines. Then the 'pedophile' flinger emerged to actually pin the label the Stones-hater. I suppose you could say that at least the second poster had the courage of this convictions!

I was simply trying to point out that it seemed to me that calling someone a pedophile seemed to be more acceptable than hating The Stones.

And, in less important news, I am sorry you find me occasionally less than charming; while I do not agree with many of your musical opinions, I find you the very epitome of Scandinavian grace!

I clearly misunderstood something in your post, I see that now, LongBeach.

Self-irony is indeed charming, though, and you're good at it - keep it up, mate!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 16:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 12, 2017 16:44

bv
LongBeachArena72

This is not really a Stones community. It's a heavily moderated message board which mostly discusses The Rolling Stones, but which mainly reflects the sense of decorum of its proprietor.

Out of all the tens of thousands of posts on IORR I may have deleted may be 20-30 the last week, and probably not deleted any posts for weeks and weeks before the tour start.

Sure IORR is moderated, but 99% or more of what people say here will stay here. Even 99% of the totally off topic posts stay here. So saying IORR is "Heavily moderated" makes no sense.

You have to remember the fact that IORR is a private web site paid for and moderated by me, one person, the editor. There is not a staff here. I spend my spare time cleaning up if somebody say something that is offending many others. Still 99% or more of the time people are free to speak.

If someone is willing to pay for several fulltime moderators then I could open for political talks here sure, but I can't see the reason why we should discuss the president of the USA here. Sorry.

Thanks to everyone who support my work running IORR. It is easy to make critical comments, but it would be a lot more helpful with support really.

You perform yeoman work here, Bjornulf, and I am sure that 99% of the regular posters here deeply appreciate your efforts. And, for what it's worth, I believe it is absolutely your right to run this website however you see fit.

I was trying to point out though that there are realities that are baked into the environment here at iorr. These realities are critical in determining what is discussed and how it is discussed. In the majority of cases, I believe that the decisions you make are in keeping with the overall consensus of opinion of the users here on the board.

You are right that it is easier to snipe than it is to offer suggestions for improvement. I'm certainly guilty of that in this instance. In the Trump example I cited in my original post, I wasn't suggesting that a general discussion of the president of the United States be undertaken. But ... the president HAD co-opted the music of the band this site is based on and his use of that band's intellectual property was a topic of conversation in the wider world. That was an opportunity for us at iorr to bat around many interesting questions about the unauthorized use of the music that we all grew up with.

You have a lot of experience in running this site and in knowing what kinds of things can lead to profitable discussions and what kind of things can blow up. I respect that. But we should all recognize that your sense of decorum is what rules around here and we need to either live with that or take our game elsewhere. It is what it is, and for many, many people that works just fine.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 12, 2017 16:58

bv
LongBeachArena72

I support you, and appreciate you. Sincerely. Sarah

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 12, 2017 17:05

35love
bv
LongBeachArena72

Same here. And have been doing so since 2005 or so.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 12, 2017 17:14

LongBeachArena72
It is what it is, and for many, many people that works just fine.

That's it. It works splendid.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 12, 2017 17:18

bv
Thanks to everyone who support my work running IORR.

I still admire how you manage to keep this thing rolling.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 12, 2017 17:32

Whale
35love
bv
LongBeachArena72

Same here. And have been doing so since 2005 or so.

thumbs up

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 12, 2017 17:43

LongBeachArena72

1) Today, a poster who hates what The Rolling Stones have become was called a child molester by another poster. Apparently, the Stones-hater is no longer part of our 'community' while the pedophile-label-flinger is tolerated ... perhaps since his primary impulse was to stand up for the reputation of the band this website purports to discuss.

Come on. We're educated adults here, and no one would have read my post as calling stones-relic a child molester. Stones-relic went nuts; he's been on here a while, and no one knows why. He started a couple of threads, and went on multiple unrelated threads on a Stones forum posting how the Stones suck. He said that he got enjoyment out of making fans feel upset or hurt. Classic trolling behavior.

I merely mentioned, in a clearly mock-serious tone, that internet trolling has been associated with the "dark tetrad" of human personality - narcissism, machiavellianism, psychopathy and sadism. These traits, particularly sadism, are often seen in people who engage in more extreme forms of anti-social behavior. I just cited the theories in general, and never said stones-relic was a child molester. That's ridiculous. Not every child that enjoys pulling the wings off flies, or bullying the smaller kids in grade school ends up being a serial killer. My post was tongue-in-cheek and just meant to give the troll a small dose of his own medicine.

I think everyone on the Forum got it.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 12, 2017 19:00

drbryant
My post was tongue-in-cheek and just meant to give the troll a small dose of his own medicine.

thumbs up

Date: September 12, 2017 19:11

drbryant
LongBeachArena72

Come on. We're educated adults here, and no one would have read my post as calling stones-relic a child molester. Stones-relic went nuts; he's been on here a while, and no one knows why. He started a couple of threads, and went on multiple unrelated threads on a Stones forum posting how the Stones suck. He said that he got enjoyment out of making fans feel upset or hurt. Classic trolling behavior.

I merely mentioned, in a clearly mock-serious tone, that internet trolling has been associated with the "dark tetrad" of human personality - narcissism, machiavellianism, psychopathy and sadism. These traits, particularly sadism, are often seen in people who engage in more extreme forms of anti-social behavior. I just cited the theories in general, and never said stones-relic was a child molester. That's ridiculous. Not every child that enjoys pulling the wings off flies, or bullying the smaller kids in grade school ends up being a serial killer. My post was tongue-in-cheek and just meant to give the troll a small dose of his own medicine.

I don't know, man. I wasn't here in "real time" yesterday so was piecing it together after the fact by perusing the thread. I thought there was a defense made of the pedophile-labeller by people who said 'hey, he didn't even start the pedophile discussion,' so I gathered there was some consensus that it wasn't really him who bore the brunt of calling someone a child molester. I could have put this together wrong, though; that was just my impression reading through the posts.

Date: September 12, 2017 19:20

drbryant
LongBeachArena72

Yeah i got it, i new exactly what you meant, and so did the poster who added to it and confirmed it. We all got it.
Stones-relic might have been drunk and probably regrets his posts.
You don't seem to regret your's, and i doubt you was drunk.
And yet you are still here, and he is gone.

I'm struggling to understand the moral code here.
I hope a time will come where people get sued for slander and libel on the internet. Its so easy to hide behind a user name. If your post wasn't defamation of character i don't know what is.
The fact that so many of you condone the actions of someone insinuating someone is a child molester is beyond the world that i live in.
People don't say things like that about people where i live unless they think its true about someone.

When i came to that thread yesterday i actually felt sick.
Its like you behaved in a pack, its ugly and its worrying. Is this a representation of Stones fans. If i hadn't waded in to try and stop it i wonder what else people would have said.
I am learning so much about people on here, i had no idea.
Its no ones fault, its just people being what they are saying what they think is acceptable.
I mean really, how can people get so defensive about someone who is clearly making a fool of himself while drunk or temporarily insane.
The guy obviously was going through a bad time, you don't kick people when they are down. You guys on here are intelligent human beings, you must know when someone is having a melt down. Stones-relic had nothing constructive to say, he couldn't even articulate an understandable response when posed with a question.

All i ask is the next time you see someone clearly having a melt down , either ignore them or try to be of help. Who knows, next time it could be you or someone you love. It happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 19:25 by stone4ever.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 12, 2017 19:42

Yeah, I got what you said.
You called him names but now you want to say that you didn't call him names. Too clever by half.
Stones relic is a Stones fan who got a little emotional, not a troll. Geez, roll with it.
I support our moderator, but hope he comes back when he cools off.

Date: September 12, 2017 19:50

stoned4ever-

Give it a rest man, unless you can produce a quote backing up your claim that he outright called him what you claim, you are way out of bounds. I would go so far as to say your repeated accusations qualify as disrespectful harassment outlined by bv. Also- your dime-store psychology borders on the absurd. Best to stick with what you know- Mick and Ronnie bashing.

Date: September 12, 2017 19:54

MisterDDDD
stoned4ever-

Give it a rest man, unless you can produce a quote backing up your claim that he outright called him what you claim, you are way out of bounds. I would go so far as to say your repeated accusations qualify as disrespectful harassment outlined by bv. Also- your dime-store psychology borders on the absurd. Best to stick with what you know- Mick and Ronnie bashing.

You have been trying to get me banned for ages, give it a break.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 12, 2017 20:01

Wow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 12, 2017 20:07

Not being a religious person but having studied plenty of theology and philosophy, the entire situation was similar to a disillusioned heathen barging in to a church and criticizing the entire belief system of what the church stands for and it's entire existence- not just once, but several times repeatedly. At the same time, attacking/mocking the faithful whose life is invested and beliefs were being challenged. Of course he was looking for a reaction, and that's exactly what he got. While some hoped to ignore him, others were a bit more confrontational, and then there were those who straight out wanted to burn him at the stake.

In other words, this is the church of the Rolling Stones - it seems fair to question certain elements of the band just as a philosopher might question the existence of God, but by no means is it tolerated to rant repeated blasphemy against the band and it's faithful without having any rational explanation.

In the end, maybe stones-relics should be forgiven for his sinful ways and attacks on the "church", and possibly even be welcomed back with open arms.

Nobody's perfect and everyone make mistakes...

"I said yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah
You'll never make a saint of me..."

Amen.

wonderboy

Stones relic is a Stones fan who got a little emotional, not a troll. Geez, roll with it.
I support our moderator, but hope he comes back when he cools off.

Amen...again. winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 20:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 12, 2017 20:13

Hairball
Not being a religious person ... Nobody's perfect and everyone make mistakes...

"I said yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah
You'll never make a saint of me..."

I took the meat out for ease of viewing on the thread but just wanted to give you kudos for a well articulated thought/description. Thanks for that.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 12, 2017 20:17

I know BV has his work cut out here, i'm just beginning to realize to what extent moderating is needed here.

Do you have this sort of thing happen very often ?

I just get upset by the hate in some people. Perhaps its just a heat of the moment thing, but i don't see any apologies being given today.

It would be nice if Stones-relic comes back and says sorry too.

Oh well yesterday was just one of those days.

Date: September 12, 2017 20:48

stone4ever
MisterDDDD
stoned4ever-

You have been trying to get me banned for ages, give it a break.
Lofl.
If calling you out on your bs qualifies as "trying to get you banned" then you may be on to something. I don't care enough about your posts to try to ban you from anything. You think much too highly of yourself.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home