Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 77
Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 4, 2013 05:15

Let's face it, if the prices were lower the secondary market would gobble up even more. The fact is, there is a limited supply of something that enough people (even if not the majority) are willing to pay a high price for, so eventually the market will find a way to value the tickets at the price the market will bear. The only way around it is to do what Tom Waits and others have done - make the original buyer of the ticket get a wristband which only allows that person in (with ID). This is difficult on an arena scale, but doable. One unfortunate side effect is that a lot of loyal fans are priced out. Another is that you end up with hedge fund types in the best seats who really don't give a crap about the band, they are just there because it's the thing to do and they can afford it. The whole thing disgusts me, but I am not sure there's a solution.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 4, 2013 05:30

71Tele
Let's face it, if the prices were lower the secondary market would gobble up even more. The fact is, there is a limited supply of something that enough people (even if not the majority) are willing to pay a high price for, so eventually the market will find a way to value the tickets at the price the market will bear. The only way around it is to do what Tom Waits and others have done - make the original buyer of the ticket get a wristband which only allows that person in (with ID). This is difficult on an arena scale, but doable. One unfortunate side effect is that a lot of loyal fans are priced out. Another is that you end up with hedge fund types in the best seats who really don't give a crap about the band, they are just there because it's the thing to do and they can afford it. The whole thing disgusts me, but I am not sure there's a solution.

What I don't understnad is how do the scalpers get hold of vast amonuts of tickets in the first place, in 1976 for Earl's court there were 1 million applicants for 108,000 seats (6 nights). We were told send off your - money - £4 per ticket - max of 3 tickets per application. There were a few ticket touts outside when we got there but there was never anything even heard of like the greed glut that goes on now. I mean scalpers weren't getting thousands of tickets. With the postal application and 3 tickets max it wasn't possible. Why can't the Stones do that now. Max of say 6 tickets per credit card and address. that way if they wanted thousands of tickets they'd have get some serious organisation in place in terms of cards and addresses. No doubt I'm missing something here........'cos I don't understand it in the first place, I don't even know how you get a ticket nowadays, do you print your own off the computer once you've paid for it? I prefer the 1990's version. Go down HMV and buy one just like you would a record. Simple.

PS It disgusts me too...That Mick Jagger sounding like a helpless lamb in the face of it all......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 05:39 by EddieByword.

Re: In response to BV's post on ticket prices...
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 4, 2013 05:42

tatters
bv
tatters

No, he asked that all complaints, about ticket prices or anything else, be in this thread.

If you are invited to a wedding, and spend most of the wedding day talking to everyone how expensive wedding presents are, you are messing up the wedding day, not only for the two who are wedding, but also for other guests.

I guess telling the groom it will never last and that his wife blew you once in high school is also bad form. Where was this advice when I needed it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 05:45 by andrewt.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 4, 2013 05:50

jamesfdouglas
GRNRBITW
jamesfdouglas
That USA Today article made me sick. As I said in that thread, I think I actually hate the Rolling Stones now.

welcome to the club. you're in the right place, jimmygoat....

Cheers to you, new-ish guy
smileys with beer

We only hate because we care son, when you're older you'll thank us.

What a difference 24 hours makes (+44yrs)
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: April 3, 2013 22:12

5th July 1969 Hyde Park concert : Stones finances = dire but concert entry = free.
6th July 2013 Hyde Park concert : Stones finances = like pigs in shit but concert entry = only the skin off your back.

On 5th July 2013 I will lay flowers in a quiet corner of Cheltenham.
On 6th July 2013 I will be listening to Get Yer Ya Yas Out, with a bottle of red at home.

Since 1963 I've paid out for the Stones and been so pleased that they've been a part of my life, but now my youth has long gone and so did the real Rolling Stones when Taylor left.

Would it really have hurt them to give another free concert ? and issue tickets via a fan web site like IORR to reach those who have stood by them for decades? Obviously not.

Don't worry no-one needs to post any response to this.

Re: What a difference 24 hours makes (+44yrs)
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 3, 2013 22:14

smileys with beer

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 3, 2013 22:28

I won't be going with them vulgar prices either. But the good side of it is that I can now attend several concerts by other artists (yes, they exist) this summer, without thinking that I'm spending too much.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 3, 2013 22:35

I like that "vulgar prices" phrase. Says it all.

Erik, you're just so...erudite.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 3, 2013 22:36

Kingbeebuzz
5th July 1969 Hyde Park concert : Stones finances = dire but concert entry = free.
6th July 2013 Hyde Park concert : Stones finances = like pigs in shit but concert entry = only the skin off your back.

On 6th July 2013 I will be listening to Get Yer Ya Yas Out, with a bottle of red at home.

Since 1963 I've paid out for the Stones and been so pleased that they've been a part of my life, but now my youth has long gone and so did the real Rolling Stones when Taylor left.

Would it really have hurt them to give another free concert ? and issue tickets via a fan web site like IORR to reach those who have stood by them for decades? Obviously not.

thumbs up

\m/

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: April 4, 2013 07:00

Kingbeebuzz

Well, I left already after Bridges and this time I am by the way in Spain at the time, but I got to say one thing in their defence: It would turn into something so huge and uncontrollable if they gave one free HP concert. Rio was doable, but HP will be impossible.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 4, 2013 07:34

As most of us longtime fans, I along with the Stones are in a much better place financially from when I scraped together the first $14 to see them live in 1975.

For the longtime fans lamenting the $175 cheap seats, I say GROW up.

It's one thing if you're a struggling student/young person, but most of the long time fans whining should have their shit together enough to where this isn't a choice between rent or a concert.

Can't afford or don't want to pay $600 for the pit? Me either.
So Don't.

Can't afford or don't want to pay a couple hundred to get into the building?
Then go back to your favorite barstool and pay the $10 cover charge for live music and bitch to the bartender.

Jesus.
Thought this as a "fan" site.

Date: April 4, 2013 08:01

MisterDDDD
For the longtime fans lamenting the $175 cheap seats.....

175 dollars? Then I missed something....thought those tickets would be very difficult to find. 175 dollars is to be expected

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 08:03 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 09:15

Erik_Snow
I won't be going with them vulgar prices either. But the good side of it is that I can now attend several concerts by other artists (yes, they exist) this summer, without thinking that I'm spending too much.

Sorry to read you wont be going Erik, i have holiday booked for spain in july and not sure if to book tickets for hyde park but that obviously means booking flights from spain and back again and then all the extra's hotels, transport,merchandise and thats not including food & drinks.
The best part, the Mrs said she dont mind. smileys with beer

I dont know if to go for the pre-sale or hang on and see if any future concerts are planned for later in the year.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 11:41

Well, I'll make my contribution...

2007: £150 for second/third row seats at the O2.
2012: £140 for a nosebleed at the same venue...and that was a last minute purchase at Seatwave of a ticket with £326 face value.
2013: £110 (including booking fee etc.) to stand in a field

You pay your money and you take your choice...nobody is forcing me to go along, but I can't help think that there are not many other bands charging this kind of amount, apart from Streisand whose prices beggar belief.

MisterDDDD
As most of us longtime fans, I along with the Stones are in a much better place financially from when I scraped together the first $14 to see them live in 1975.

It's one thing if you're a struggling student/young person, but most of the long time fans whining should have their shit together enough to where this isn't a choice between rent or a concert.

I'll take issue with you here. I saw the Stones on 29th November 2012.
The very next day I was informed I would be made redundant. It's taken me four months to find another job. This is certainly not the first time it's happened to me either. Pretty hard to keep my shit together under these circumstances, the redundancy pay will have run out by the time I receive my first paycheck. If I was still out of work I wouldn't even think about going to gigs, but please don't assume we all have a smooth career path, and are the kind of banker fan the band are keen to attract to their concerts nowadays.

MisterDDDD
So Don't.

Agreed. I've shelled out enough on premium to see the Stones over the past decade. I'm satisfied with cheapo GA tickets for Hyde Park this time.

Lee

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 4, 2013 11:52

MisterDDDD

So Don't.

Can't afford or don't want to pay a couple hundred to get into the building?
Then go back to your favorite barstool and pay the $10 cover charge for live music and bitch to the bartender.

Jesus.
Thought this as a "fan" site.

Yes, but it's gotten to the point where being a fan has now become synonymous with being a sucker.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-05 04:16 by tatters.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 4, 2013 11:58

No offense, but the Stones never said they would save the planet or act like Mother Theresa. They simply play rock'n'roll for money. They have done so for more than 50 years. Over the years all the long time fans (like myself) have grown up and they might have family and grandchildren and wifes who wonder why they suddenly need money and travel and suddenly look into changing holiday plans when life was so easy and nice all the time up to now. It is all about priority.

Bjornulf

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 4, 2013 14:32

bv
No offense, but the Stones never said they would save the planet or act like Mother Theresa. They simply play rock'n'roll for money. They have done so for more than 50 years. Over the years all the long time fans (like myself) have grown up and they might have family and grandchildren and wifes who wonder why they suddenly need money and travel and suddenly look into changing holiday plans when life was so easy and nice all the time up to now. It is all about priority.

This is true and everyone needs money, most like a good bit of money to have a nice time but I think what is making alot of people sick at the moment is the level of greed they are portraying, they could put on these shows, make a good bit of money and keep the tickets within reach of the 'common man' they did a fanfare for once upon a time............
It just seems like gratutious greedy exploitataion........
They may as well be an energy company........in fact luckily for everyone that their not, millions would die of cold.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 14:35 by EddieByword.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: April 4, 2013 14:33

Hello,

You're right, BV, off course. But the Stones are in the process of steadily losing the huge stock of goodwill they have built up amongst their fans. It is of course unrealistic to expect them to put on free shows, but for people of their wealth to charge the prices they do is, in my opinion, immoral, when there is no justifiable need for them to do so.

Of course we don't have to go to the shows if we think the prices are too high. It's just that some of us would really love to and now can't as the cost is too much. And it is a shame that the power to alter that is in the hands of The Stones and they have no desire to do anything about it.

Declan

Date: April 4, 2013 14:36

Sorry bv but yes it is about priority and what some of us are saying is that they, the stones, need to adjust their priorities to acknowledge that for most of us in the west, suffering the greatest recession in history, where we are worse off that when we last payed to see them shouldn,t be asked to pay more to see them when we are worse off. The price increases on tickets are greater than inflation over the period between this and the last tour. Since then inflation has made me worse off than i was then. We have three years of pay freeze. I can,t afford to see them now. So i say to the stones your priority (of greed and indifference over empathy), is misplaced and it saddens and disappoints me.

Date: April 4, 2013 14:43

odean73
Erik_Snow

Sorry to read you wont be going Erik, i have holiday booked for spain in july and not sure if to book tickets for hyde park but that obviously means booking flights from spain and back again and then all the extra's hotels, transport,merchandise and thats not including food & drinks.

I dont know if to go for the pre-sale or hang on and see if any future concerts are planned for later in the year.

Hi odeon73, now that I understand it's possible to get 100 pound ticket.... the ticket, alone, won't stop me from going. 100 pounds isn't bad. Have to check flights, hotels and stuff - and if I can leave work those days. Could be fun with a London trip, but it's a bit of a hassle to get to there from here without being away more than 1 or 2 nights

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 15:11 by Erik_Snow.

Re: jagger says the high ticket prices are because of the cost to put on the show
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 4, 2013 14:49

talkcheap
I have no idea why the prices are this high. But i guess it's because they only do six gigs. I hope if they continue to tour in 2013 the tickets will be more reasonable.

Myself and millions of others in the world know why.

Because they are very,very greedy and Mick has the final say.
If any of them air an opinion about high ticket prices,or why are most of the tickets going to Viagogo etc. Mick wouldn't give a sh*t. sad smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 4, 2013 14:51

Hyde Park is not a field! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 4, 2013 14:55

Too many trees...

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 15:15

bv

Sorry BV. It is not about priorities for me with the Stones. I have the cash. It is about their legacy. From being the anti-establishment bad boys of rock n roll....to the being establishment as money-grabbing vegas act. The band meant a lot to me, but no more. They're embarrassing. There are garage bands with better guitarists at this point.

Date: April 4, 2013 15:16

buffalo7478
bv

Sorry BV. It is not about priorities for me with the Stones. I have the cash. It is about their legacy. From being the anti-establishment bad boys of rock n roll....to the being establishment as money-grabbing vegas act. The band meant a lot to me, but no more. They're embarrassing. There are garage bands with better guitarists at this point.

There have always been garage bands with "better" guitar players than the Stones grinning smiley

Date: April 4, 2013 15:26

Erik_Snow
odean73
Erik_Snow

Hi odeon73, now that I understand it's possible to get 100 pound ticket.... the ticket, alone, won't stop me from going. 100 pounds isn't bad. Have to check flights, hotels and stuff - and if I can leave work those days

OK, just bought flight tickets.....all I need now is a concert ticket.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 15:39

Erik_Snow
Erik_Snow
odean73
Erik_Snow

Hi odeon73, now that I understand it's possible to get 100 pound ticket.... the ticket, alone, won't stop me from going. 100 pounds isn't bad. Have to check flights, hotels and stuff - and if I can leave work those days

OK, just bought flight tickets.....all I need now is a concert ticket.

Erik, will you be trying for a ticket tomorrow?

Re: In response to BV's post on ticket prices...
Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: April 4, 2013 15:46

bv
tatters

No, he asked that all complaints, about ticket prices or anything else, be in this thread.

Correct. If there is a thread aboiut a subject then please use that thread. In this case it is quite clear. Some people want to complain about ticket prices. fair enough. This is the thread.

If you are invited to a wedding, and spend most of the edding day talking to everyone how expensivewedding presents are, gthe you are messing up the wedding day, not only for the two who are wedding, but also for other guests. It is a bout manners. Some people simply d not have manners. They have to complain about how miserable life is upon them, in all places. In bars, at concerts, in the IORR forum threads, to thei friends, brothers, sisters, everywhere. I think that is v ery selfish and introverted. I have many friends in Africa. They spend their day finding ater and food. There are 60% unemployment rate. But they do not have PCs and they do not complain about how bad life is. They thank God for their family and all the happiness they have got in life, regardless of material values that have been brought to them.

I will keep saying this as long as I live. Life is unfair. But it will be even more unfair if you do not look at it from the bright side. If you are broke, I mean real real broke, then find a sponsor, find a friend, or climb a fence. I went to my first Stones show in 1973. I was totally broke, but I managed to get two tickets and a bus ride from Oslo to Gothenburg for both me and my girl fiend (still my wife these days). It is all about priority. Like it or not. For me the Stones come before family, work, weddings, everything else in life. My family do know it. I cancelled all other plans last year when they did the shows then. I disappeared from work and family life. It is possibe but please do not blame your own frustrations and priority on everyone else in new threads...

Feel free to discuss tcket prices here...

In all honesty you are way off on your 'wedding' analogy. If you are l

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: April 4, 2013 15:46

bv

Let's face it, this is the last time they will get away with it. This is a farewell tour, making a nod to the past with the Hyde Park gig albeit with outrageous ticket prices. The only people who might afford these prices are the corporate sector, who will be there because they can afford it and not because they like the band, and those fans who have made it to middle age and have some disposable income. Try it again in 5 years and those fans will be dependant on pensions and won't have the ability or maybe even the desire to fork out a small fortune. The band don't give a s**t, it's bums on seats that matters. What doesn't matter is whose bum it is.

By the way, when is the Altamont gig on this tour? I assume there will be one, y'know, for old times' sake....

Posted by: atip ()
Date: April 4, 2013 15:47

Haven't read thru the thread, but the pre-sale garbage makes me mad as hell. First it's Amex holders who gets 1st shot, now Citi and I'm reading something about Barclay's in the UK. That's a load of crap if you ask me. Are we supposed to get every card there is just to be sure we can get in on the pre-sale???

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home