Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 77
Re: The ticket prices complaints thread
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 13, 2012 23:13

They do it because they don't have other marketable skills. Never needed a backup plan. The market will bear these prices so let it rip, be proud that people value a good rock show so much.

My only complaint is that this kind of opportunity is almost non-existent for most acts in today's music market and culture. Only these dinosaurs from our past can create the hype necessary to pull it off. When they are gone I hope people contuinue to be willing to spend BIG $ for live original music acts. peace

Re: Shameless Profiteering
Date: December 14, 2012 01:33

StonesTod
JumpinJackOLantern
Invite three friends and charge them $13.00 each. See the show for one dollar.

invite a dozen enemies and charge $20/head...and be like the band

I missed this one. Very good.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 25, 2013 15:39

Oh I do hope the tickets for the proposed shows this year aren't as extortionate as last year.

I understand some people here who are comfortably secure financially really don't give a fig about prices. But from a band that recorded Salt of the Earth and began concerts with Fanfare for the Common Man. It does appear slighty hypocritical

Free gig I say in Hyde Park!

\m/

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: February 25, 2013 16:23

I agree with BV if you don't want to pay the prices then just stay home!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 25, 2013 16:35

njlstones815

Well, it's not like you have a choice, right ?

At this point, it's a rather moot argument whether or not they can fill arenas at ridiculous prices.

As for if they can do that on an extended basis however, the debate remains and I appreciate having this thread open for discussion.
Perhaps there is an outside chance that someone in the Stones' organization will notice this and adjust prices accordingly, but I don't hold my breath for that.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 25, 2013 16:47

Monkeytonkman
Oh I do hope the tickets for the proposed shows this year aren't as extortionate as last year.

I understand some people here who are comfortably secure financially really don't give a fig about prices. But from a band that recorded Salt of the Earth and began concerts with Fanfare for the Common Man. It does appear slighty hypocritical

Free gig I say in Hyde Park!

\m/

So how are we gonna get into Glasto for free then ? Stealth ? Lying ? Cheating ? Vandalism ? Gross deceipt ? Bribery ? Blackmail ? Or ......... (heaven forbid) ......... just buy a friggin' ticket ? IF there are any more due to come up for sale that is ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 25, 2013 16:55

njlstones815

complete utterly shite comment

If you have no money, for instance because you are unemployed, you cant pay these prices.!!

Outrageous. I am a huge fan, but my budget is limited.
so yeah, probably i have to stay at home. But.. i am eagerly wanting to see them once more.

so keep your capitalist remarks at home.

jeroen

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:01

Edith Grove

At this point, it's a rather moot argument whether or not they can fill arenas at ridiculous prices.

As for if they can do that on an extended basis however, the debate remains and I appreciate having this thread open for discussion.

I think this is the real reason why this "tour" is going to consist of just a few shows in just a couple of cities. It's got nothing to do with their being 70 years old. BB King is what? eighty-seven? and fat? and he still plays 100 dates a year! It's just that there aren't that many places on earth where there are 40,000 people who are able or willing to pay Rolling Stones ticket prices. If they came here to Detroit, or even Chicago, and asked for a guaranteed $5 million per show, they'd get laughed right out of town, and I'll bet you this is exactly what's happening right now, all over the world. In 2013, a Stones concert in Dubai is more likely than a Stones concert in Detroit.

Date: February 25, 2013 17:04

I really hope Greed will neck them

jeroen

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:06

When they were at the top of their game and well worth it we could afford every show...now they are hardly worth it and we can't afford to go...

I'm losing track of the logic.
Is this just a chance for the folks who have passed on seeing them to pay up and get a final chance?

The words to Luxury come to mind

Date: February 25, 2013 17:09

GOOD ONE MUNICH HILTON !!
JEROEN

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:15

In every decade and in every season there has been a Stones tour there have been fans who liked the their music and still couldn't get a dime together to pay for a ticket.
I agree with all of you that the last ticket prices increased temendously, but there have been always fans to a band, to music, to whatever who have not been able to buy anyhting than a record or a copy of a paint or used book.

We should also acknowledge that not only the fans who bought they vinyl and concerttickets at first glance gave them the popularity, but also the people who believed in their music and gave them a chance to be on stage.

If the Rolling Stones are well worth to go or not is everybody's own decision and it is by far not only money, but also a question when you're able to pay the price, but not willing to.

From Street Fighint Man to Salt of the Earty people tend to forget the song:
"I all I need is a little bit of LUXURY". ...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:22

Munichhilton
When they were at the top of their game and well worth it we could afford every show...now they are hardly worth it and we can't afford to go...

Is this just a chance for the folks who have passed on seeing them to pay up and get a final chance?

Meanwhile Clapton's at the top of his game and is coming to a town near you soon for a fraction of what these bastards charge.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 25, 2013 17:25

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

Meanwhile Clapton's at the top of his game and is coming to a town near you soon for a fraction of what these bastards charge.

Exactly. You could go to 10 big name concerts for the price of one Rolling Stones ticket.

Date: February 25, 2013 17:31

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

Does that mean I saw him when he wasn't worth it? If 2013 is the top of his game where abouts was he in 1978-1985

Date: February 25, 2013 17:37

I AM WILLING TO PAY, BUT MY BUDGET SAYS NO, CANT DO

SO....THATS THE DIFFERENCE.

I AM TO THE POINT, WHERE I WOULD LIKE TO SELL MY ENTIRE STONES COLLECTION, WORTH A LOT OF MONEY.

WHAT A WAY TO GO...good song title for the stones....

ah, i forgot ...they dont have it in them to write good songs anymore.

jeroen

Date: February 25, 2013 17:39

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

Does that mean I saw him when he wasn't worth it? If 2013 is the top of his game where abouts was he in 1978-1985

He was as bad as everyone else in the 80's. He's sorry, but it wasn't all his fault.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 25, 2013 23:29

That last post from BV about dividing years into $500 was well, just weird. It unfortunately does not work that way. We pay for PRESENT concerts with PRESENT dollars.

Date: February 25, 2013 23:52

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

He was as bad as everyone else in the 80's. He's sorry, but it wasn't all his fault.

Don't refer to Phil Collins in the 4th person...

Date: February 25, 2013 23:56

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

EC would have fared better with Phil Donahue producing....

Date: February 26, 2013 00:03

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

EC would have fared better with Phil Donahue producing....

Sure, but have you heard Phil Donahue's drumming?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 26, 2013 00:08

I love Eric Clapton, and I've seen him countless times over the years in Tokyo (he is very popular here - he once played a month's worth of shows at Budokan). But he charges a fraction of what the Stones charge because people want to see the Stones.

I do hope that they play a couple festivals so that everyone will have a chance to see them one last time. That would be a nice gesture. But if you want to see them in an arena, I don't see prices going lower.

Date: February 26, 2013 00:10

drbryant
I love Eric Clapton, and I've seen him countless times over the years in Tokyo (he is very popular here - he once played a month's worth of shows at Budokan). But he charges a fraction of what the Stones charge because people want to see the Stones.

I do hope that they play a couple festivals so that everyone will have a chance to see them one last time. That would be a nice gesture. But if you want to see them in an arena, I don't see prices going lower.

dr are you complaining or just prognosticating? because this is clearly labelled a complaint thread...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 26, 2013 02:09

Naturalust
They do it because they don't have other marketable skills. Never needed a backup plan. The market will bear these prices so let it rip, be proud that people value a good rock show so much.

My only complaint is that this kind of opportunity is almost non-existent for most acts in today's music market and culture. Only these dinosaurs from our past can create the hype necessary to pull it off. When they are gone I hope people contuinue to be willing to spend BIG $ for live original music acts. peace

Nah, modest cover charge at a bar paid to people who actually care about music.

Personally I can't wait for classic rock to just die.

But I am thankful for You Tube and all the other modern conveniences that completely remove any sense of urgency toward seeing these shows.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: February 26, 2013 06:58

Rant, rant, rant, rant, rant AND RANT!

Cheers,
SonicD

Stones losing sympathy?
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: February 26, 2013 18:01

I was making comments about Bowie in the thread about his new video and started thinking about a possible theory regarding the remaining sympathy for the Stones and how they could possibly lose it...
We all read comments on IORR about the fact they did not make a (very) good album for years, the absurd ticket prices for the last shows and the content and quality of the shows was not rated very good by everyone...

So what does their remaining quality (where ever that is for you) mean to your loyalty when compared to other artists, the economy, your personal financial situation etc.
It would be nice if you want to read it and give your answers to my questions!
First, the original post. After that my questions. Thank you!

"Great song. Great video. I'm sure it's a great album because these two songs and videos are very good. Looks like (again!) a very good concept and theme he created with TV.

Iggy can do it (born in '47).
Bowie can do it (born in '47).
Bruce can do it (he's from '49).
Lot's of others with about the same age can do it.
The Stones...?

What Bowie did with Tony (and others) on Heathen and Reality and now with The Next Day the Stones really failed to do or even try (we can blame them for that); working together very serious with your creative partners and rely & concentrate on each others talents.

Of course you can't do that when you are already very very very busy with:
-creating rumours about touring to lift prices,
-doing just a few shows in carefully selected areas where money is no problem,
-performing with well selected stars and former members to create excitement,
-collecting bids,
-weighing offers,
-keeping options open,
-and other forms of very very very concentrated focussing on all those $$$,
-while you're also very very very busy saying all kinds of very stupid and very childish things about each other in interviews or in the books you wrote...

I think all these other artists who still perform and create on a very good level are making it easy to leave the Stones (maybe even before the tour).
It would not surprise me if the 'tour' the Stones are doing later this year would be disappointing in many ways and to much more people than (they) we now realise.
Because of that we can say this will be the last tour indeed: people wil just not come back again after that huge disappointment.
They (we) will lose our sympathy on the way home from these last shows for various reasons. Fooled to buy far too expensive tickets is an important reason. But they (we) are also fooled by their lack of creativity which we still can get with plenty other very good artists. So we will be fooled again by that carefully created enthusiasm that's based on emotions.

But the times did change because of all these financial and economic crises. I think lots of people started to get rational because they found out that because of these crises they can no longer follow their emotions in buying what just makes them feel good...they buy what they feel is necessary.
And before they buy they think very good about where to get the best their money can buy...
More and more people will realise the Stones are no longer the best you can buy because that feeling is gone.

So the only way to keep sympathy for the Stones on the same level is to act like Bruce and to lower their prices drastically: not asking more than 250$ for an arena show, not asking more than 150$ for stadium shows...
And of course act like Bowie and deliver a very very very good album with songs that reflect how you are right now produced with a really interested guy like Rick Rubin who can find that creative spot and not something rapidly produced from the vaults with that mister knowitall DW.

I know: wishful thinking..."

My questions are:
does the succes of other artists (like the Bowie albums or the Bruce shows/albums or the Iggy album/shows) combined with A) the financial and economical crises, b) the attitude of the Stones regarding ticket prices, C) the failing of the Stones to produce a couple of very good albums (like Bowie or Bruce did) influence your decision to go to Stones concerts this year?

Would you not go see them this year for reasons like this?

If you do go see them this year whatever happens, would you turn away from future shows if those 2013 shows where disappointing (in ticket prices and/or quality or without an album)?

I hope you will write down your thoughts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-26 18:05 by Dreamer.

Re: Stones losing sympathy?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 26, 2013 18:11

I never had any Sympathy for the Stones...I love the Stones..

Enjoy ever album they released...Some more the others...
I could care less what the Beatles, Bowie or for that matter what any
other group is doing...

People or likely the press have been bitching about Stones tickets prices since 1969...And the Stones
still gave every fan their money's worth!

So if you don't like them or don't want to pay the ticket price (or scalpers rip off prices)
then don't go!

Stones don't really care about anyone's sympathy!! NEVER DID!

Date: February 26, 2013 18:28

Its just that demon life thats got them in its sway...it was bound to catch up to them at some point.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 26, 2013 18:29

Iggy can do it (born in '47).
Bowie can do it (born in '47).
Bruce can do it (he's from '49).
Lot's of others with about the same age can do it.
The Stones...?

The acts you mentioned are solo artists with hired hands, the Stones are a band, and haven't really been a band since the 1980's.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 26, 2013 18:47

Although I'm finally feeling my enthusiasm for seeing the band live wane, I still think there are plenty of old fans and new fans to fill the gap. There's probably still a lot of people who haven't seen them who would be curious. I was satisfied with the PPV, and suprisingly, Ronnie was the old master that night. And of course Mick turned back the years. But at this point you're seeing them for nostalgia if you're just going to hear the hits. The most interesting parts of the PPV were when guests took them to uncharted territories, and I know they can't take a cadre of superstar guests to every gig. We'll see how all this plays out and maybe some intense rehearsals will shake some rust off. But I think there's plenty of people out there who will go to see them even if it's not at the high level it's been in the past.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home