Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The moment will surely come. Are we prepared for no more gigs?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 8, 2012 23:27

donnarq1
No.

well, for crissakes - PREPARE THYSELF!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 8, 2012 23:31

I dont understand the question

Date: December 8, 2012 23:32

Max'sKansasCity

i'll turn it around for you:

are you unprepared for more gigs?

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: December 8, 2012 23:35

Max'sKansasCity

The question is, how could J Geils band supposedly "slaughter" the rolling stones in 1982 when J Geil's band's songs are awful& even if they played their awful songs perfectly they're still J Geils band?

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 8, 2012 23:44

arthritis
Max'sKansasCity

The question is, how could J Geils band supposedly "slaughter" the rolling stones in 1982 when J Geil's band's songs are awful& even if they played their awful songs perfectly they're still J Geils band?

The answer is simple!
Great musicians and a performance far ahead of the Stones at that time.
The Stones haven't always produced the greatest songs!
J. Geils Band were much tighter and better.
If a band slaughter their own great song by being a miserable band well then it doesn't matter how good the songs are when they are written and recorded.
The Stones did slaughter themselves at that gig.
No matter how many ballons they did send to the sky that night!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: December 8, 2012 23:57

Is this what that show "Doom and gloom preppers" is all about? I have never watched it.

Date: December 8, 2012 23:59

Date: December 9, 2012 00:19

Fan Since 1964
Well that's your opinion, not mine and I love to stick to my opinion.
Why? We'll I tried to get used to that the Stones we're a band that we're "Out of Time" and wouldn't be able to deliver anything more. Slowly but very surely I've come to decision that I have to change my opinion into: "They still can deliver" and will do so regardless to what anyone might think of that matter.

I guess the O2 arena concerts shows that!

So to me I will never be prepared because that wouldn't keep my fanhood alive!

Seeing that not one word of that makes any sense you can have it!

Date: December 9, 2012 00:37

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Fan Since 1964
Well that's your opinion, not mine and I love to stick to my opinion.
Why? We'll I tried to get used to that the Stones we're a band that we're "Out of Time" and wouldn't be able to deliver anything more. Slowly but very surely I've come to decision that I have to change my opinion into: "They still can deliver" and will do so regardless to what anyone might think of that matter.

I guess the O2 arena concerts shows that!

So to me I will never be prepared because that wouldn't keep my fanhood alive!

Seeing that not one word of that makes any sense you can have it!

Lol.grinning smiley

I don't define eras by one bad show. Sure, i admit the stones have had sloppy shows in the past. But J Geils slaughtering the stones? Maybe it's just me but a show where Keith's so drunk he's playing the wrong chords and Mick has a sore throat is far more riveting than the finest performance of J Geils' career.grinning smiley

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 9, 2012 11:01

Some interesting answers here!
I've always thought that the 2007 tour would be the last. but if you've seen the 2 london shows you would think that they could go on forever. These 2 shows were the best shows of the last 10 years.
As long as health permits, and nothing serious happened to one of the 4 band members, they will still continue , but as this thread says "Are we prepared for no more gigs?" I would say yes but we will remember them as the best rock band of the century!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 9, 2012 13:12

I think I could handle it now. I realize that they're never going to vary the setlist much and that I've heard the warhorses more than enough times. They won't dig deep into their past, so, what's the point? I have finally gotten to to where I don't want to hear Sympathy For The Devil live again. But even if they didn't play it, they wouldn't put in something interesting like Moonlight Mile.

This is not an improvisational jazz group. They're not going to search for new and interesting ways to play Midnight Rambler. And the audience seems content just to watch them try and play some fascimile of how they played in the past. And they're not particularly responsive to that audience. Yeah, we finally get Wyman back on stage with them and he doesn't play on Miss You, the obvious choice. One rarity, like'Lady Jane', surrounded by 20 really played out warhorses has become tiresome. I don't want them to be an oldies act. They're the motherfu#$ing Stones for gods sake. But that's basically what they are now.

Although I love the group, Wyman was prescient when he left. Except for the No Security Tour, and the odd rarity here and there, it hasn't been a musically satisfying experience for many years. And they've made no changes to improve the side musicians, or to even add some novelty. The vault releases have only reinforced what was, not what is. It can't just be amazing that they can stand up there an play. There has to be some depth to it, some art. And there isn't. There's camaraderie and the joy of being with them, but there's nothing revolutionary going on. There hasn't been a sense of danger in 35 years.

I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from paying exorbitant prices to see them, especially if they've never seen the group live. And if you want to enjoy them as an oldies act, playing Honky Tonk Women for the gazillionth time, note for note as you heard it the last time, have at it. But personally, if this is all they're going to do from now on, just try and recreate the past, at a slower tempo, I think I can finally handle them riding off into the sunset.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 9, 2012 15:39

steffiestones
We all know that the guys are not young anymore, anyway, the two London shows was fantastic! But for sure, the time will comes that they say, it's finish, done, thanks for everything, bla bla bla...Are we prepared for that moment?

NO!

As long as there are signs of life musically from the band or its individual members, why should I or we think that way? Rejoice fully in what you have as long as you have got it, do not take a future loss in advance. Of course, those persons, like at least one other poster in this thread, that do not want to take part and wish for the band to stop, might themselves move on to other kinds of adventures that are better for them, instead of demanding that the band must stop.

Hopefully, the band will never declare an end. Then it will not be over, until it is naturally all over. No need to worry about that. In the mean time there might be musical output from the band or from its members when or if the combined creative inspiration and ambition will be present. There might be single concerts for some years to follow.

We seem to have witnessed a band with revitalized versions of their socalled warhorses in a degree that these songs emerged with reborn freshness and, apart from that, full concerts in a more guitar driven shape than during the latest decades. We have received two new songs during 2012 which have been met with positive appreciation and are played live.

We do not know what 2013 might bring in the context of the Rolling Stones. 2013 might even give a tour on a certain scale. Possibly, even some more new songs. During concerts they might even declare a new one, apart from new regular releases, and play live one or two rehearsed vaults songs, rotate among those, for the sake of infusing more spontanity to the more or less prepared setlists. And simply for the joy of making such an action. I think many of us might have liked that. It would have made it worthwhile to go to more than one or two concerts.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 9, 2012 16:02

So many people seem to want the Stones finished and tied up in a nice tidy 50-year package with the 2012 shows as a pretty bow on it.

I'm glad that the Stones don't appear to have tidy minds. Of course we're all probably on borrowed time now, and it will be over soon enough - but I'll deal with that when it happens. No artificially imposed endings, please. Life is untidy and uncertain and unpredictable, but if you're prepared to take the risk that what comes next musically might not be so good, you also take the gamble that there might still be something amazing to come. Many people didn't want to see them take the risk of these 2012 shows. If you want them to quit while they're seen to be ahead and become a safely-dead band, fine. I don't. I want to know what happens next.

Date: December 9, 2012 16:12

I'm looking forward to the blues only record keith will be releasing in 15 years.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 9, 2012 16:19

steffiestones
We all know that the guys are not young anymore, anyway, the two London shows was fantastic! But for sure, the time will comes that they say, it's finish, done, thanks for everything, bla bla bla...Are we prepared for that moment?

Yep. Have been for over five years. That was the first tour which, when it ended I felt 'I dont NEED to see them again' (which is not the same as saying 'I dont WANT to').

Despite having enjoyed the 02 show last month more than I thought I would (then again I only decided to go four days before it took place and only because I got tickets below face), I still feel like that somewhat.

Date: December 9, 2012 17:05

Gazza
steffiestones

Yep. Have been for over five years. That was the first tour which, when it ended I felt 'I dont NEED to see them again' (which is not the same as saying 'I dont WANT to').

Despite having enjoyed the 02 show last month more than I thought I would (then again I only decided to go four days before it took place and only because I got tickets below face), I still feel like that somewhat.

it's official then: the buzz has worn off. you can all return to your regular selves now. it was fun while it lasted.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: December 9, 2012 17:21

24FPS
I think I could handle it now. I realize that they're never going to vary the setlist much and that I've heard the warhorses more than enough times. They won't dig deep into their past, so, what's the point? I have finally gotten to to where I don't want to hear Sympathy For The Devil live again. But even if they didn't play it, they wouldn't put in something interesting like Moonlight Mile.

This is not an improvisational jazz group. They're not going to search for new and interesting ways to play Midnight Rambler. And the audience seems content just to watch them try and play some fascimile of how they played in the past. And they're not particularly responsive to that audience. Yeah, we finally get Wyman back on stage with them and he doesn't play on Miss You, the obvious choice. One rarity, like'Lady Jane', surrounded by 20 really played out warhorses has become tiresome. I don't want them to be an oldies act. They're the motherfu#$ing Stones for gods sake. But that's basically what they are now.

Although I love the group, Wyman was prescient when he left. Except for the No Security Tour, and the odd rarity here and there, it hasn't been a musically satisfying experience for many years. And they've made no changes to improve the side musicians, or to even add some novelty. The vault releases have only reinforced what was, not what is. It can't just be amazing that they can stand up there an play. There has to be some depth to it, some art. And there isn't. There's camaraderie and the joy of being with them, but there's nothing revolutionary going on. There hasn't been a sense of danger in 35 years.

I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from paying exorbitant prices to see them, especially if they've never seen the group live. And if you want to enjoy them as an oldies act, playing Honky Tonk Women for the gazillionth time, note for note as you heard it the last time, have at it. But personally, if this is all they're going to do from now on, just try and recreate the past, at a slower tempo, I think I can finally handle them riding off into the sunset.

Completely agree with you. I´ve seen 6 great concerts since 1990. But I bet, now we see the last leg of the Never-Ending-Steel-Wheels-Tour!

Priest

Date: December 9, 2012 17:23

i'm losing track...this is Victory Lap Tour #3?

Date: December 9, 2012 17:27

steffiestones
Some interesting answers here!
I've always thought that the 2007 tour would be the last. but if you've seen the 2 london shows you would think that they could go on forever. These 2 shows were the best shows of the last 10 years.
As long as health permits, and nothing serious happened to one of the 4 band members, they will still continue , but as this thread says "Are we prepared for no more gigs?" I would say yes but we will remember them as the best rock band of the century!

Which century? Nineteen Hundred or Twenty Hundred?

Date: December 9, 2012 17:30

StonesTod
it's official then: the buzz has worn off. you can all return to your regular selves now. it was fun while it lasted.

But it's always fun while it lasts/ed. It's not fun before it starts - only after it starts - or after it ends. You had better come up with something better.

Date: December 9, 2012 17:33

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod

But it's always fun while it lasts/ed. It's not fun before it starts - only after it starts - or after it ends. You had better come up with something better.

you and i may be among the very few here who actually understand this.

Date: December 9, 2012 17:37

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod

you and i may be among the very few here who actually understand this.

That is what it is to be understood, I hereby concur that you agree with me.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 9, 2012 17:58

In parantheses for this thread's theme, but indicative of the band's ability to come back: I quote only an excerpt of your own post, Fan Since 1964, because my impression is that you by accident might have made a mess of your own quotation:

Fan Since 1964

The energy was bad at that time!
The Stones sounded horrible at Ullevi in 1982!
Pitch dark withour any connection to their music.
None what so ever tightness. A horrible growling from Mick and Ronnie Wood out in space. They got slaugthered by their warm up band "J Geils Band".

Terrible performance by the Stones!
Not what you we're looking for at that time!

THEY SUCKED!

I do not compare the bands at all. However, as to the 19th of June 1982 in Gothenburg, J Geils Band seemed inspired at what they played (I do not know them that much, and they were or are not a favourite of mine), whereas the Stones played a most uninspired concert. A big disappointment! To me that concert confirmed my minority view on this site, I acknowledge that, of the preceding year's deceiving studio album TATTOO YOU. I thought it was all over with the Stones as a primary band and felt rather depressed.

The Stones stormed back the following day, on the 20th of June, with a mighty effort. Exceedingly good and with a powerful sound. My falling belief in the band and its future was replaced with firm conviction, this time later on verified by the following grand studio album UNDERCOVER. (In the mean time I enjoyed STILL LIFE, even if is without the power of the concert of the second day of Gothenburg's two concerts of 1982.)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 9, 2012 20:38

I've seen some great RS shows in the past and to be around the last Show is something very special but when that day comes is uncertain isn't?

Musicians and Artists continue to play and produce till their last days unless when they are forced to quit for other reasons "medical".

Cheers

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home