Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28
Re: Show number 3: Brooklyn NYC Dec. 8 updates
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:56

They should not quit or play smaller venues, The energy for the 50th anniv. was perfect but if they tour full tilt perhaps a more varied show? Angie, Loving Cup, more work for Chuck less straight up thrashing. If Keith needs to sit on a stool, cool. Them proving they're still young is pointless.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: December 10, 2012 20:16

gotdablouse
fleabitmonkey
Thanks Max I still have several more I will post later but I appreciate the props. Mick was tough to capture because I was using a point and shoot and with the shutter delay his movement usually took him out of the frame. I wish I would have brought my SLR camera because I was barely checked by security. I thinking about getting a ticket for New Jersey and taking a better camera and lens.

Wow, these have to be the best fan pictures so far from the 2012 gigs, absolutely stellar! What camera did you use? I'm reasonable happy with mine from the 25th [tinyurl.com] especially those with Mick Taylor [www.iorr.org] but I also wish I had brought my DSLR or even my little Panasonic 3D1 3D camera as it has image stabilization and you can't beat 3D for "real life" memories. I had taken my Sony HX5 and did most of my shots with the "low-light" mode that takes 6 pictures in a row at 3200 ISO and then blends them to remove the noise. It works rather well but like you say when Mick moves around well...it's a problem.
Thanks gotdablouse. HOLY you know what The Stones and 32 "friends" and they are playing No Expectations I just got goose bumps thinking about that!On Novemember 8th in Paris you guys were the luckiest people in the world. Good for you!! That had to be INSANE. As far as the camera goes I decided a couple of days before the show not to take an DSLR so I researched point and shoot cameras. I was looking for one I could control shutter and aperture so I bought the Canon G15. I picked Canon solely based on the fact I have been shooting with Canon for the last 30 years. It would have been nice to practice at another show prior to this but there was no time. I am relatively pleased with the results. If I can find a pit ticket for the 13th I am going back for round two. I was on the rail on Keith's side, Would go to Woody's side next time to get good shots of Charlie as he was blocked by his crash cymbal. I could not see Bobby Keys at all and I am a huge fan since his days with Buddy Holly ( am I showing my age). So if anybody has a pit ticket (GA) they are looking to unload I'm interested. GA only not VIP I already got my blanket( nice but not worth an extra thousand dollars)

Date: December 10, 2012 20:21

angee
I think Paulywaul said he was heading off for a business trip right after the shows.

Wow, I also love that shot, thanks for repositing, proudmary. smiling bouncing smiley

Was that taken from the first London show or where, fleabitmonkey?
Angee the shots were from Saturday night in Brooklyn

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 10, 2012 20:38

ohotos
So I am back from this quick NY weekend and just read through the 26 pages of this thread to catch up. First of all, wow, a whole lot of negativity, a lot of those that didn't go to the show seem to know that this was a bad show - should I feel bad now that I went?
Some background first. I am only in my 30s and am not a hardcore fan that went to hundreds of shows. The Stones are my favorite band but I only saw them live in 1995, 1998 & 2003. I missed them in 2005 because they show I had tickets for was cancelled and then rescheduled to a date when I absolutely couldn't make it. So Brooklyn was my fourth show and even though I was wishing for a couple surprises (setlist or guest-wise) we all know this band doesn't like to stray far from what is proven and what they do best - play their music and play what (most) people want to hear.
What definitely surprised me however was how good they were musically. Yes, Keith & Ronnie mess up some parts from time to time but this is how we have always known them, no?
I got a ticket for $154 in section 206 row 20, first time I was this far away after being front row in 1998 and halfway along the bridge against the barrier in 2003, but I just couldn't justify spending more (in addition to flights, hotel etc) and even though I was this far away I am glad I was in the house for this show.
My first show in 1995 didn't have Bill, so I have never seen the original Stones and kind of grew up with Darryl being their bassist. I would have loved to see Bill up there with them but other than the nostalgy factor what would he have added? From seeing videos with him I don't think we really missed something at the Brooklyn show. Same thing with Mick T., I was hoping to get CYHMK instead of MR and while they started to play MR I was fully expecting MT to walk out at any moment - he didn't but their MR performance was still one of the highlights of the evening, Mick's dancing was crazy (how does he do it, my feet, legs & back hurt just from standing for two hours?), Ronnie's solo was smoking, everything came together perfectly on this song.
Which brings me to discuss the setlist a bit. The drummer intro gave me chills, very nicely done, lots of energy in the house. GOMC was a really good opener. Then on to IWBYM which was just OK, don't like Mick's singing on that one. Absolutely loved The Last Time even with some guitar problems. They should have the guts to open or close with that song on the 15th and leave everybody wondering...
Paint it Black, one of my favorites, nothing to criticise. Then on to GS, which is my absolute favorite on the same level as CYHMK - MJB ruined this for me, I was expecting something interesting and instead is was just a mess. Even my wife who came with me and is not a Stones fan (more of a Stones hater, but my brother who was supposed to come couldn't) said that MJB didn't know what and when to sing.
Wild Horses was perfect.
Going Down with Gary Clark Jr was probably another highlight of the show, grinding guitars everywhere, this was just great!
On to ADTL & Miss You - the Stones just doing their job. My wife during Miss You "this is the only Stones song that I love" and I told her that this is probably THE song most fans could do without. Still, great Darryl solo!
I was happy to get the two new songs after that. Felt a lack of energy during OMS and Mick's face at the end of the song said it all, it was like "ok, glad we're through this one, whatever" and then after D&G his expression was like "now this is a real song" and even though I like both new songs I must say the energy on D&G was much better.
IORR & HTW no Bill coming out, OK. The band just executes these to almost perfection. Then Keith, he seems "Happy" (as does Charlie who was smiling the whole evening - actually being on the side of the stage for the first time I got to see much more of Charlie then during my last Stones shows), does his thing on his two songs. Wife's comment "he sings better than Mick" haha!
On to MR, as I said before one of the highlights, and then the warhorses up to the end of the show. SMU, TD, BS (I thought there were some guitar problems at the start of this one), SFTD, YCAGWYW, JJF and Satisfaction to end it all. All were great even if we've all heard them before. Special mention to Keith on SFTD and I though I could have done without YCAGWYW but man, the choir just gave me the chills and I am happy to not have missed this one. Mick's glitter jacket was back for Satisfaction and I think this was the best live version I have heard yet, buzzing guitars, no horns.
Overall just a really great show by my favorite band and I am so happy to have been there. As a lot here I was worried about how Keith would play but he really knows where his place is now, playing with restraint but more precision than in the past. His playing was really sharp and much better even than 2003 when I last saw him. Mick's voice seems to be better than ever as well.
It really is Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones as all other bandmembers seem to follow their leader and know their place in the band. Keith stayed close to Charlie for most of the show, concentrating on his playing and very little posing whereas Ronnie was looking for Mick's approval when doing his solos. They all seem to get along really well after all these years.
I won't pretend that I remember every aspect of the shows I have attended in the past, all of them had their special moments, but the Brooklyn show was definitely a top performance and I would feel comfortable knowing that this was the last time I saw them live, they met and exceeded my expectations.
The Barclay's Center was an excellent venue. The staff was really nice, everything was clean and the sightlines from the "cheap" seats were better than expected. I loved the simple setup of the stage, that probably really helped having a good view even from the sidelines. The sound up in 206 started out just a little bit muffled I thought, but improved throughout the show. I loved that it was not too loud as my ears seem to be a little bit on the sensitive side. The crowd was OK but couldn't match the crowds I have seen before in Barcelona for example, much more subdued, even the pit seemed pretty calm. Don't know if my section had more casual fans because of the cheaper seats but one thing that was really annoying was people walking out every couple minutes to get beer.
OK, I have to somehow wrap this up now as I have to get some work done. I don't regret it, this was a really, really great show!
tx so much ! very good revirew

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 10, 2012 20:51

Max'sKansasCity
ryanpow
Max'sKansasCity

Agreed
I see no need to quit.... or hanging it up... we could see another transition with my favorite band.... if they feel like it... where they just hang out and do smaller shows... mellower... not jumping rocking and running and rolling.... how about playing some acoustic blues... not selling out 20,000 seats....That would fine with me.... unles it is just required to sell out 20,000 seat arenas.... but I see John Lee Hooker having a pretty good time doing smaller stuff..... JLH aint hanging it up... he aint quitting.

hmmm... I tend to think that if that's what they wanted to do, they'd be doing it already. There seems to be no let up of the jumping and running around at these shows. I don't know where it comes from, if its from Mick or from the Stones collectivley, but it just seems like when they go out there they have to go full tilt and on a big show. But then again , I remember saying on this board after ABB that if they played again they should just do a limited tour with just a few shows and the general consenus was that if they were gunna play shows again it would have to be a full tour or they wouldn't do it. So, you never know...
Right on Ryan.

I am simply saying... if people are arguing they need to quit and be buried today, before they are geriatric, or too old to do it... then I am saying maybe they when they get too old to do it like they have always done it, they can do differently, I am ok with that. They wont be too old to do it like some other aging performers are doing it. How old is Chuck Berry?

Mick is obviously able to still run and gun.... and appears to be having a great time... so I ask "What the hell is people's problem?" why is this even being brought up? I am only replying to the peole who want to put them all 6 feet under yesterday.... I say there are other ways than that.... THEY DONT HAVE TO QUIT.

Then again some people just love to bash on the Stones, while I give them credit.

Then again some people just love to bash on the Stones, while I give them credit.

Ever thought of the possibility that people who give them so much credits could in fact bash them the most by doing so?
And right after I thought of this I'm reading Gaga will join them.
You really think they do this for fans like you??
I hope you got any credits left...

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 10, 2012 20:58

One non-musical tidbit I witnessed at this show that made me smile: When Charlie threw his sticks to the audience they both sailed over The Pit and landed in the aisle in front of the barricade by the front row. An usher walked over and picked them up. Of course people were holding out their hands, gesturing to him to give them the sticks. He looked around and noticed a little girl, maybe 6 or a bit older and he walked over and gave them to her. She seemed thrilled, holding them both up, and no one seemed to mind. Nice memento for her.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: December 10, 2012 21:06

bleedingman
One non-musical tidbit I witnessed at this show that made me smile: When Charlie threw his sticks to the audience they both sailed over The Pit and landed in the aisle in front of the barricade by the front row. An usher walked over and picked them up. Of course people were holding out their hands, gesturing to him to give them the sticks. He looked around and noticed a little girl, maybe 6 or a bit older and he walked over and gave them to her. She seemed thrilled, holding them both up, and no one seemed to mind. Nice memento for her.

Yes, I observed this too. They way I saw it unfold is that the usher that picked up the stick was quickly overwhelmed by all the fans clamoring to get it, holding out their open hands and when he couldn't make a decision (shrugging his shoulders) he thought for a split-second "I might as well keep it for myself" before his colleague next to him pointed out the young girl and that's when he threw it over to that colleague who gave it to the girl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 21:07 by ohotos.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 10, 2012 21:15

fleabitmonkey
gotdablouse
fleabitmonkey
Thanks Max I still have several more I will post later but I appreciate the props. Mick was tough to capture because I was using a point and shoot and with the shutter delay his movement usually took him out of the frame. I wish I would have brought my SLR camera because I was barely checked by security. I thinking about getting a ticket for New Jersey and taking a better camera and lens.

Wow, these have to be the best fan pictures so far from the 2012 gigs, absolutely stellar! What camera did you use? I'm reasonable happy with mine from the 25th [tinyurl.com] especially those with Mick Taylor [www.iorr.org] but I also wish I had brought my DSLR or even my little Panasonic 3D1 3D camera as it has image stabilization and you can't beat 3D for "real life" memories. I had taken my Sony HX5 and did most of my shots with the "low-light" mode that takes 6 pictures in a row at 3200 ISO and then blends them to remove the noise. It works rather well but like you say when Mick moves around well...it's a problem.
Thanks gotdablouse. HOLY you know what The Stones and 32 "friends" and they are playing No Expectations I just got goose bumps thinking about that!On Novemember 8th in Paris you guys were the luckiest people in the world. Good for you!! That had to be INSANE. As far as the camera goes I decided a couple of days before the show not to take an DSLR so I researched point and shoot cameras. I was looking for one I could control shutter and aperture so I bought the Canon G15. I picked Canon solely based on the fact I have been shooting with Canon for the last 30 years. It would have been nice to practice at another show prior to this but there was no time. I am relatively pleased with the results.

Great results you mean! I need to look into these new Canon G's, I remember when the G1 came out about 10 years ago, feels like a lifetime...As for the rehearsal, yeah it was great, stunning really, but that seems far away too now, like the Trabendo, like the second row at the O2 on the 25th...After each of these three "events" I felt emotionally drained and content, but that lasts only so long...On the topic of pics, the second row might be a better bet as I've seen pics from the railing that caught the bottom of the stage, guess it depends on your size too, my 6'3" sure came in handy ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 10, 2012 21:21

i love the stage....makin me feel god...cause i like the 78 tour so much...its sort of the same.....but......that pit is nonsense

Date: December 10, 2012 21:23

in holland and Italy spain rio argen...we know how to handle such a liyyle prolbem....we still have the 60 ties vibe!!!

Date: December 10, 2012 21:40

what i also didnt quit understood was the reason they didnt play well rehearsed favs...for the nyc crowd...like shattered...angie...hot stuf...memory m ...hand of fate....s morhine rooster....doo ddo.....let it loose shine a light....or some songs from babylon or bang for my part...must be only me missing those songs the big crowd loves and know...i mean im not asking for @#$%& blues or sway mind you

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 10, 2012 22:52

Brooklyn pictures .........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 10, 2012 22:52

I agree with you Fleabitmonkey, I was worried about smuggling cameras in, glad I did. I got two in, mine and a friends'. My Nikon digital is old and has a VERY slow shutter and Mick was a huge challenge to photograph. I managed but my friend got better shots on her cheap Sony small digital. A very friendly guard advised us before the show not to try to take photos, saying he has seen lasers focusing on folks taking pictures and those people were ushered out of the shows!! After 15 minutes we realized if they starting tossing people with cameras OUT there would be no one left for the Stones to play for! Everyone had cell cameras and digital pocketsized cameras so we took ours out and clicked away. They did tell my friend not to shoot videos.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 10, 2012 22:56

Nice pictures paulywaul...thanks.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: December 10, 2012 23:36

Talk about Hi Res pauly...dig it! thumbs up

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 10, 2012 23:38

Those are incredible shots, thanks so much! WOW!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 11, 2012 00:04

WOW Pauly, thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 11, 2012 00:05

And some more .......

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 11, 2012 00:17

I know I've posted this a few times already, but gotta say again, fantastic pictures everyone. Thank you so much!

paulywaul those closeup photos are amazing. Did anyone else notice that Keith's hands look much better?

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: December 11, 2012 00:27

latebloomer
I know I've posted this a few times already, but gotta say again, fantastic pictures everyone. Thank you so much!

paulywaul those closeup photos are amazing. Did anyone else notice that Keith's hands look much better?

I was going to say I thought Keith's hands look better. :-)

Date: December 11, 2012 00:30

A few more - including the final bow sad smiley

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: December 11, 2012 00:31

Hi Res King pauly!!

Gearheads, Mick and Keith are singing into SM 58s!! Old skool classics.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 11, 2012 01:23

l think Liza ate Blondie,Damn, she has gained a few pounds...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 02:40

Can't really compete with the super nice images from paulywaul and fleabitmonkey, but just wanted to share some pit experience.. smartphone photos or not, It was up front and close!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 11, 2012 02:45

Mickschix - It was an amazing show. I was by myself but I had a great time with the people I sat with. Mick was fantastic the couple in front of turned to me after the show and said explain Mick Jagger to me and I have no explanation he is an amazing performer he was as great as I've ever seen him. Bias aside I was very impressed with Keith's playing he nailed Brown Sugar for once!!! I have almost always been diappointed with Brown Sugar live. keith seems to be playing as opposed to posing and I really thought he had lost his ability to play and sing at the same time and he proved me wrong in a good way. He was also fantastic on Midnight Rambler and Sympathy. Ronnie was also excellent. Charlie is Charlie, Rock Steady. I was also very diappointed that Mick T was not there. That was somewhat of a letdown but who can complain. I really thought these guys were done and I think that they've proved a lot of people wrong. I don't mind the "warhorses" as long as they are played with conviction they are afterall the best songs the Stones have its just the fact that these songs have been done to death everywhere. But if they play them like they are at the moment i can't complain!

Date: December 11, 2012 03:57

Awesome pic's Pauly!! I'm jealous I've got nothing of Charlie playing.

Date: December 11, 2012 04:13

I don't know Jot893 that first shot looks really cool. It's also nice for me to see the crowd in the second shot of Jagger. I was up front on the rail and when I would look back I couldn't see across the pit. I couldn't get a very good fell for the crowd from there.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 11, 2012 05:10

Here is my video shot of SFTD. For those who have raised questions about Keith's health because he was leaning on a table before the song, it is visible here, just to the right and behind the drums. Make of it what you will, personally, I think he's holding up just fine.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 11, 2012 05:12

pretty weathered looking guitars

Posted by: Blue Boy ()
Date: December 11, 2012 08:13

Simply, awesome!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home