Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28
Re: Show number 3: Brooklyn NYC Dec. 8 updates
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 10, 2012 07:09

fleabitmonkey
http: //i1294.photobucket.cg

WOW!!! fleabitmonkey those are some really really really great shots!
I won clog the thread reposting them.... just.... Thanks for sharing... WOW!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 10, 2012 07:16

stonesnow
The Sicilian
I am listening to a Beethoven warhorse Symphony No.7 in A, (1811-1812) exactly 200 years old. Yet it sounds as good as ever. Nobody complained about his setlist because he put out something new all the time.

Yes, but the recording is quite new, as are the instruments used to play it and the musicians who play them. Technically, it's just another cover version.

People who say they listen to Beethoven have never actually heard Beethoven, because you would have to have lived well over 200 years to have heard the man perform.

Didn't he compose Moonlight Sonata to impress/seduce a young female student? We should call him BillWymoven.

But a composer creates music for OTHERS to play. It is never a cover. It is always fresh. But that 3rd movement is just fantastic.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 10, 2012 07:17

The Sicilian
stonesnow
The Sicilian
I am listening to a Beethoven warhorse Symphony No.7 in A, (1811-1812) exactly 200 years old. Yet it sounds as good as ever. Nobody complained about his setlist because he put out something new all the time.

Yes, but the recording is quite new, as are the instruments used to play it and the musicians who play them. Technically, it's just another cover version.

People who say they listen to Beethoven have never actually heard Beethoven, because you would have to have lived well over 200 years to have heard the man perform.

Didn't he compose Moonlight Sonata to impress/seduce a young female student? We should call him BillWymoven.

But a composer creates music for OTHERS to play. It is never a cover. It is always fresh. But that 3rd movement is just fantastic.

Yes, it's a movement alright.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: December 10, 2012 07:20

stonesnow
The Sicilian

I wonder did Beethoven have a metal detector? When were they invented? Was he fond of drawing women's' legs?

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: December 10, 2012 07:43

Thanks Max I still have several more I will post later but I appreciate the props. Mick was tough to capture because I was using a point and shoot and with the shutter delay his movement usually took him out of the frame. I wish I would have brought my SLR camera because I was barely checked by security. I thinking about getting a ticket for New Jersey and taking a better camera and lens.In the next couple of weeks I am going to scan some slides I shot with an SLR of shows in Philly from '69, '72 '75 '98. I got caught in '98 and they confiscated my camera and film. The arena claimed it was the band's policy they were following. The good news was I knew people associated with the facility and got my camera back. The only thing they got was unexposed film. As I shot I would pass exposed rolls of film to a buddy in the row behind me so no images were lost.Here is a snapshot of one of my prints. when I scan from original film it will look a lot better

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 10, 2012 08:33

fleabitmonkey
Thanks Max I still have several more I will post later but I appreciate the props. Mick was tough to capture because I was using a point and shoot and with the shutter delay his movement usually took him out of the frame. I wish I would have brought my SLR camera because I was barely checked by security. I thinking about getting a ticket for New Jersey and taking a better camera and lens.In the next couple of weeks I am going to scan some slides I shot with an SLR of shows in Philly from '69, '72 '75 '98. I got caught in '98 and they confiscated my camera and film. The arena claimed it was the band's policy they were following. The good news was I knew people associated with the facility and got my camera back. The only thing they got was unexposed film. As I shot I would pass exposed rolls of film to a buddy in the row behind me so no images were lost.Here is a snapshot of one of my prints. when I scan from original film it will look a lot better

Man... sweeeeeee-eeeeet story and smart too. I love the part about passing the film... so smart. Back in the day, in the early 80-90s I used to sneak my Canon AE1 into shows... put the camera body in one sock and the tele lens in the other. It used to be a blast going "hunting" for great shots at concerts. I only had to be up close fro 1/30 (steady) of scecond to get "the shot"... the other issue was only 36 shots per roll... These days I used a cheap little Canon SD 1000, but I am amazed at what it can do.. 2000 shots per SD card and and the videos too.. now the trick is getting close enough.

Again, Thank you for sharing your awesome shots... those are GREAT!! And thanks to The Stones for allowing people to take pictures..... When you get them done, if you feel like sharing the scans of your shots from 69, '72 '75 '98.... I, for one, would love to see what you grabbed.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: December 10, 2012 09:13

Max'sKansasCity
fleabitmonkey

Man... sweeeeeee-eeeeet story and smart too. I love the part about passing the film... so smart. Back in the day, in the early 80-90s I used to sneak my Canon AE1 into shows... put the camera body in one sock and the tele lens in the other. It used to be a blast going "hunting" for great shots at concerts. I only had to be up close fro 1/30 (steady) of scecond to get "the shot"... the other issue was only 36 shots per roll... These days I used a cheap little Canon SD 1000, but I am amazed at what it can do.. 2000 shots per SD card and and the videos too.. now the trick is getting close enough.

Again, Thank you for sharing your awesome shots... those are GREAT!! And thanks to The Stones for allowing people to take pictures..... When you get them done, if you feel like sharing the scans of your shots from 69, '72 '75 '98.... I, for one, would love to see what you grabbed.
It will take a couple weeks but I will post some shots, it will be fun looking through the old photos. Yes digital has made life easier. I used a 32gb card Saturday night brought an extra battery which I needed. I don't miss the old 24/36 exp rolls of film

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 10, 2012 10:44

fleabitmonkey
Thanks Max I still have several more I will post later but I appreciate the props. Mick was tough to capture because I was using a point and shoot and with the shutter delay his movement usually took him out of the frame. I wish I would have brought my SLR camera because I was barely checked by security. I thinking about getting a ticket for New Jersey and taking a better camera and lens.

Wow, these have to be the best fan pictures so far from the 2012 gigs, absolutely stellar! What camera did you use? I'm reasonable happy with mine from the 25th [tinyurl.com] especially those with Mick Taylor [www.iorr.org] but I also wish I had brought my DSLR or even my little Panasonic 3D1 3D camera as it has image stabilization and you can't beat 3D for "real life" memories. I had taken my Sony HX5 and did most of my shots with the "low-light" mode that takes 6 pictures in a row at 3200 ISO and then blends them to remove the noise. It works rather well but like you say when Mick moves around well...it's a problem.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 10:47 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 10, 2012 11:28

superrevvy
sorry, can't do it. have to insert a comment of my own.

smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 10, 2012 11:40

Great pictures fleabitmonkey. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 10, 2012 12:06

fleabitmonkey - what a great pictures!
This is the ONE of all the pics I've seen so far

Thank you!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: December 10, 2012 13:23

proudmary
Thank you!
+1
That is the greatest pic of all the shows.

Also, thanks to bv, bleedingman and other eye witness reports from these shows. And bv, your blog about the practice session in Paris is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 13:28 by paulm.

Date: December 10, 2012 15:48

BTW did anyone see Paulywaul in the pit on Saturday? He's not shown up here since flying out of the UK, hope he didn't have a mishap in the meantime.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: December 10, 2012 16:43

More pics and review.
Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 10, 2012 17:08

paulm
proudmary
Thank you!
+1
That is the greatest pic of all the shows.

Also, thanks to bv, bleedingman and other eye witness reports from these shows. And bv, your blog about the practice session in Paris is great.

+1, and thanks for all the pics and vids.

What can a poor boy do...except wait for the show reports!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 10, 2012 17:12

I think Paulywaul said he was heading off for a business trip right after the shows.

Wow, I also love that shot, thanks for repositing, proudmary. smiling bouncing smiley

Was that taken from the first London show or where, fleabitmonkey?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: December 10, 2012 17:24

hbwriter
gotdablouse
Yeah, same here...getting late, 2.32am...

Tongue pit not quite full, fewer tix sold than in London ?

is this the highest section or does it extend further?

This was row 20, so there were only two rows behind me.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 10, 2012 17:58

Max'sKansasCity
fleabitmonkey
http: //i1294.photobucket.cg

WOW!!! fleabitmonkey those are some really really really great shots!
I won clog the thread reposting them.... just.... Thanks for sharing... WOW!

agree ..those are fantastic. any of Charlie??

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 10, 2012 18:25

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 10, 2012 18:31

Strange, this show somehow seemed to have a somewhat negative vibe. Most reviews are not that excited, especially the usually easily excitable crowd (nothing wrong with that, just more "american") at Shidoobee was not too convinced. Strange to see after those great London shows. It's even reflected in the videos, the sound and video quality is far below what we got from London - why?

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 10, 2012 18:34

proudmary
jesus thats a @#$%& great picture....your the best!!! thank you!!!

Date: December 10, 2012 18:36

angee
I think Paulywaul said he was heading off for a business trip right after the shows.
After the 15th I think yes, so did you see him on Saturday? He was really looking forward to being in the pit after working hard on it for the O2 shows initially.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 10, 2012 18:36

nonfilter
Max'sKansasCity
nonfilter
vermontoffender
"Anyone who thinks playing music in a band is work, has never done REAL WORK."

That statement is moronic on any number of levels. In fact, it's kind of astoundingly idiotic.

That's just funny. Anyone who's never played music in a band doesn't know what real work is. I work in construction in the day, farm on the side, and my weekend gigs with the band are what really kicks my ass.

[www.non-filters.com]
funny eh?

Well, why dont you explain it to us... We are talking about The Stones here... so please tell us how big time players like the Stones, who have other people taking care of tuning the guitars and hauling the equipment, work so hard, for maybe 4 hours, every 3-4 days (maybe they do....but not for years)... and how they have it so much harder than people who do real work for a living.. like doing rough-in construction work or running a jack hammer EVERY DAY, 8-9 HOURS PER DAY, 50 WEEKS A YEAR.... all ears eyes... go ahead.

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. I ran a jack hammer 5 hours a day every day last week and ran a shovel the other 5 of my 10 hour work days. I then went home and hung drywall on the house I'm building for myself by myself til 10:30 pm. I worked 16 hours this past Thursday hanging steel for a building and didn't wake up nearly as drained in the morning as I do after a show. Granted the Stones don't pack their own equipment, but they gotta try to please 20,000 people at their shows vs. my 100. I ain't ever weighed before and after but I'll guarantee I lose 10 lbs during a gig. And I drink quite a few beers during that time.

[www.non-filters.com]
dont say sorry thats is not done in R&R

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 10, 2012 18:47

Lorenz
Strange, this show somehow seemed to have a somewhat negative vibe. Most reviews are not that excited, especially the usually easily excitable crowd (nothing wrong with that, just more "american") at Shidoobee was not too convinced. Strange to see after those great London shows. It's even reflected in the videos, the sound and video quality is far below what we got from London - why?

This also struck me. The London shows were truly great, both of them. But the enthusiasm after the first US show seems muted, and BV and others had even thoughts about the end of Stones' live era. What happened over there?

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: December 10, 2012 18:59

So I am back from this quick NY weekend and just read through the 26 pages of this thread to catch up. First of all, wow, a whole lot of negativity, a lot of those that didn't go to the show seem to know that this was a bad show - should I feel bad now that I went?
Some background first. I am only in my 30s and am not a hardcore fan that went to hundreds of shows. The Stones are my favorite band but I only saw them live in 1995, 1998 & 2003. I missed them in 2005 because they show I had tickets for was cancelled and then rescheduled to a date when I absolutely couldn't make it. So Brooklyn was my fourth show and even though I was wishing for a couple surprises (setlist or guest-wise) we all know this band doesn't like to stray far from what is proven and what they do best - play their music and play what (most) people want to hear.
What definitely surprised me however was how good they were musically. Yes, Keith & Ronnie mess up some parts from time to time but this is how we have always known them, no?
I got a ticket for $154 in section 206 row 20, first time I was this far away after being front row in 1998 and halfway along the bridge against the barrier in 2003, but I just couldn't justify spending more (in addition to flights, hotel etc) and even though I was this far away I am glad I was in the house for this show.
My first show in 1995 didn't have Bill, so I have never seen the original Stones and kind of grew up with Darryl being their bassist. I would have loved to see Bill up there with them but other than the nostalgy factor what would he have added? From seeing videos with him I don't think we really missed something at the Brooklyn show. Same thing with Mick T., I was hoping to get CYHMK instead of MR and while they started to play MR I was fully expecting MT to walk out at any moment - he didn't but their MR performance was still one of the highlights of the evening, Mick's dancing was crazy (how does he do it, my feet, legs & back hurt just from standing for two hours?), Ronnie's solo was smoking, everything came together perfectly on this song.
Which brings me to discuss the setlist a bit. The drummer intro gave me chills, very nicely done, lots of energy in the house. GOMC was a really good opener. Then on to IWBYM which was just OK, don't like Mick's singing on that one. Absolutely loved The Last Time even with some guitar problems. They should have the guts to open or close with that song on the 15th and leave everybody wondering...
Paint it Black, one of my favorites, nothing to criticise. Then on to GS, which is my absolute favorite on the same level as CYHMK - MJB ruined this for me, I was expecting something interesting and instead is was just a mess. Even my wife who came with me and is not a Stones fan (more of a Stones hater, but my brother who was supposed to come couldn't) said that MJB didn't know what and when to sing.
Wild Horses was perfect.
Going Down with Gary Clark Jr was probably another highlight of the show, grinding guitars everywhere, this was just great!
On to ADTL & Miss You - the Stones just doing their job. My wife during Miss You "this is the only Stones song that I love" and I told her that this is probably THE song most fans could do without. Still, great Darryl solo!
I was happy to get the two new songs after that. Felt a lack of energy during OMS and Mick's face at the end of the song said it all, it was like "ok, glad we're through this one, whatever" and then after D&G his expression was like "now this is a real song" and even though I like both new songs I must say the energy on D&G was much better.
IORR & HTW no Bill coming out, OK. The band just executes these to almost perfection. Then Keith, he seems "Happy" (as does Charlie who was smiling the whole evening - actually being on the side of the stage for the first time I got to see much more of Charlie then during my last Stones shows), does his thing on his two songs. Wife's comment "he sings better than Mick" haha!
On to MR, as I said before one of the highlights, and then the warhorses up to the end of the show. SMU, TD, BS (I thought there were some guitar problems at the start of this one), SFTD, YCAGWYW, JJF and Satisfaction to end it all. All were great even if we've all heard them before. Special mention to Keith on SFTD and I though I could have done without YCAGWYW but man, the choir just gave me the chills and I am happy to not have missed this one. Mick's glitter jacket was back for Satisfaction and I think this was the best live version I have heard yet, buzzing guitars, no horns.
Overall just a really great show by my favorite band and I am so happy to have been there. As a lot here I was worried about how Keith would play but he really knows where his place is now, playing with restraint but more precision than in the past. His playing was really sharp and much better even than 2003 when I last saw him. Mick's voice seems to be better than ever as well.
It really is Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones as all other bandmembers seem to follow their leader and know their place in the band. Keith stayed close to Charlie for most of the show, concentrating on his playing and very little posing whereas Ronnie was looking for Mick's approval when doing his solos. They all seem to get along really well after all these years.
I won't pretend that I remember every aspect of the shows I have attended in the past, all of them had their special moments, but the Brooklyn show was definitely a top performance and I would feel comfortable knowing that this was the last time I saw them live, they met and exceeded my expectations.
The Barclay's Center was an excellent venue. The staff was really nice, everything was clean and the sightlines from the "cheap" seats were better than expected. I loved the simple setup of the stage, that probably really helped having a good view even from the sidelines. The sound up in 206 started out just a little bit muffled I thought, but improved throughout the show. I loved that it was not too loud as my ears seem to be a little bit on the sensitive side. The crowd was OK but couldn't match the crowds I have seen before in Barcelona for example, much more subdued, even the pit seemed pretty calm. Don't know if my section had more casual fans because of the cheaper seats but one thing that was really annoying was people walking out every couple minutes to get beer.
OK, I have to somehow wrap this up now as I have to get some work done. I don't regret it, this was a really, really great show!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 19:37 by ohotos.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:28

I was there Saturday. I brought my young friend Rosemary, who loves the Stones but has never seen them. I realized early on that Taylor and Wyman would not be there, which was obviously a disappointment for me, but I knew there was a strong possibility they wouldn't join them, so I got past it as best as I could. I thought the guys were in fine form. Good to see Keith having such a good time, Charlie solid as ever, and Mick still the best frontman in the business. Gimme Shelter with Mary J was very powerful. Some musical observations: I thought the band's decision to play everything at the same tempo as the original studio version did not serve songs like All Down The Line (which really dragged) and Brown Sugar well. You need that extra bit of energy live that comes from a slightly faster tempo. I have to make special mention of Ronnie here, who I have often been critical of in the past. I thought his playing was better than it has been in years: clear, twangy, and focused.

I don't pretend to know what is in Mick Jagger's mind, but to have the five members who made Sticky Fingers and Exile available and not use them in what is supposedly a celebration of the band's history is misguided at best, insulting at worst. But in this case my pleasure from a Stones show was in being able to share them with someone much younger and see the joy on her face, and that's enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 19:31 by 71Tele.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:31

rooster
nonfilter
Max'sKansasCity
nonfilter
vermontoffender
"Anyone who thinks playing music in a band is work, has never done REAL WORK."

That statement is moronic on any number of levels. In fact, it's kind of astoundingly idiotic.

That's just funny. Anyone who's never played music in a band doesn't know what real work is. I work in construction in the day, farm on the side, and my weekend gigs with the band are what really kicks my ass.

[www.non-filters.com]
funny eh?

Well, why dont you explain it to us... We are talking about The Stones here... so please tell us how big time players like the Stones, who have other people taking care of tuning the guitars and hauling the equipment, work so hard, for maybe 4 hours, every 3-4 days (maybe they do....but not for years)... and how they have it so much harder than people who do real work for a living.. like doing rough-in construction work or running a jack hammer EVERY DAY, 8-9 HOURS PER DAY, 50 WEEKS A YEAR.... all ears eyes... go ahead.

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. I ran a jack hammer 5 hours a day every day last week and ran a shovel the other 5 of my 10 hour work days. I then went home and hung drywall on the house I'm building for myself by myself til 10:30 pm. I worked 16 hours this past Thursday hanging steel for a building and didn't wake up nearly as drained in the morning as I do after a show. Granted the Stones don't pack their own equipment, but they gotta try to please 20,000 people at their shows vs. my 100. I ain't ever weighed before and after but I'll guarantee I lose 10 lbs during a gig. And I drink quite a few beers during that time.

[www.non-filters.com]
dont say sorry thats is not done in R&R

Having played drums in rockbands for many years I must say its never been work to me.It's exhausting and can be stressful. But I can't even compare it to "real" hard work. There is much too much fun and adrenaline flowing compared to that other thing.

@ Ohotos Thanx for your review!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 19:33 by CousinC.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:32

Thanks for for all the beautiful pics on this board and for the reviews.
[www.iorr.org]

Mixed reviews for sure, and some disappointment compared to London (29 one).

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:43

fleabitmonkey

Fantastic pics! Thank you very much!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 10, 2012 19:52

The Sicilian
stonesnow
The Sicilian

To add your observations something I read, think about this:

What matters most is his contribution, and that he enriched posterity with creations that outlived him and which will outlive us.

When the violinist Radicati asked him about the "meaning" of the late quartets, Beethoven replied, "Oh, those are not for you, but for a later age."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home