Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: Show number 3: Brooklyn NYC Dec. 8 updates
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 10, 2012 02:42

Another NY paper review and worth clicking on the link as there are some great pictures in the review

Stones give Brooklyn satisfaction with a rousing performance at Barclays Center
Song after song, Stones prove they are, above all, a stellar live band
Comments (16)

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, December 8, 2012, 11:32 PM
James Keivom/New York Daily News
Mick Jagger delivered his usual funky chicken dance with youthful exuberance as the Rolling Stones rocked the house at Brooklyn's Barclays Center.
It started with a flick of a riff. A fleet guitar lick from Keith Richards in ‘Get Off My Cloud” signaled to fellow guitarist Ron Wood to send back a sneaky run of his own. Bassist Daryl Jones fleshed out the framework from below, while drummer Charlie Watts gave them all a hard kick from behind, setting the music in bracing motion.

Together, it created the sleekest possible vehicle for singer Mick Jagger to ride. It also provided the best explanation for how the fifty-year old Stones could take the stage at Barclays Center on Saturday and sound so spry.

Keith Richards and pals still know how to rock.In song after song last night, the Stones proved that they are, above all, a live band -a working set of musicians who find their highest purpose by pushing and pulling against each other’s cagey rhythms.

In “All Down The Line” Richards and Wood locked riffs and leads like two rams, scraping against each other to intensify the beat. In “Miss You,” the crack of Watts’ taut snare served as a spur, putting the guitar riffs into italics.

Fans wearing tongue masks were pumped for the Rolling Stones at Barclays Center.Ricocheting interplays like this can happen during any Stones song, which explains why they can vary the selections at each of the five shows on their “50 and Counting” mini-tour and still satisfy. It helps that their catalogue gives them so much to mine. Last night’s show, like the two that preceded it in London, balanced work from their earlier era, like the R&B “The Last Time,” or the psychedelic “Paint It Black,” with songs from their ‘70s peak, like “Wild Horses” and “Honky Tonk Woman.”

Mick Jagger, forever young, on stage at the Barclays Center.Almost as tokens, the group tossed in the two new songs that appear on their latest greatest hits package, “Grrrr.” While neither rivals the cream of their cannon, each offers patented, Stones-style riffs the live band made swing.

As 69-year-old Jagger raced around the tongue-shaped stage, he delivered his usual funky chicken dance with enviable energy. Having retained his hair, and his figure, meant, if you squint, he could still look sorta, kinda young. Certainly, he sounded it.

Ron Wood shreds on guitar at Barclays Center.Jagger also added a cheeky modern reference, joking that he came to Barclays by subway. “I sat next to this guy who hadn’t a clue who I was,” he said, “Jay-Z.”

The band made another local reference by featuring Mary J. Blige, who shouted Merry Clayton’s part in “Gimme Shelter.” She gave the piece the right sense of alarm. The band also featured the young blues guitarist of the hour, Gary Clark Jr., who gave “I’m Goin’ Down” his own crisp sear.

In “Miss You,” the crack of Charlie Watts’ taut snare served as a spur, putting the guitar riffs into italics.Unlike the London shows, Brooklyn’s show did not feature bassist Bill Wyman or guitarist Mick Taylor. That’s a particular shame in the latter case, considering Taylor rates as the most elegant and expansive guitarist the band ever had. As if to make up for it, Wood and Richards worked extra hard at the groove on the song Taylor earlier played on (“Midnight Ramber”), chopping out sharp and concise riffs that cut.

The Rolling Stones played three encores at Barclays Center.Richards cackled through his usual vehicles, “Happy” and “Before They Make Me Run.” They’re songs, like so many in this two-hour-and-twenty minute show, that fans have heard a million times before. Yet their delivery in real time, re-defined them. Like all great live bands, The Stones make their music in the moment. Which explains why their music will always of the moment, no matter how many decades threaten to date it.

The Stones' set includes their trademark lips and a classic photo of themselves.

[www.nydailynews.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 10, 2012 02:45

Thanks oldschool!! smileys with beer

Date: December 10, 2012 02:45

and thanks for cutting and pasting... always appreciated.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 10, 2012 02:48

SweetVirginia
It was a great show, but not quite as good as the London shows.
Mick T was missed!

Here are some pics I took:

Great pics SV!>grinning smiley<

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 10, 2012 02:48

bv
The ticket said show start 8pm. They were on at 8:45... The 45 minutes waiting time felt like forever. I do not understand why I do always get nervous when we get closer to show time. It happens every time.

Great to meet up all the nice friends and fans from the States and Canada, it was about time, after the great London shows, mostly for the European fans.

Many fans liked my jacket and T-shirt for a change. One girt front row actually wanted to buy the shirt off me right there and then, any price, but my precious 06 Buenos Aires blue tongue T-shirt with the Argentina football colors is one of my most precious shirts, she did not know that. And I don't really wear Stones shirts, only London-2 and now Brooklyn. Probably Newark too.

People buying beers asked who was the warmup. It was a quarter to eight and the catering areas were packed. Only half of the tongue pit ws there. The VIP's were still queuing for wristbands. I told them there is no warmup, and the show will be on soon. And I went in to be ready...

After two times in London it is hard to say anything about these shows. They are just great. Wild Horses was perfect. In London it did not have the same flow. All Down The Line had guitar problems Ronnie I think and Mick was not happy with that. Keith did not borher about any technical details. He played even better than in London, more relaxed, no posing, just walked up frequently and played his best riffs and I realized my eyes were fixed on Keith every time he walked up. The wizzard of the razorblade riff. Sympathy For The Devil. All Keith.

Mick was singing his voice off and danced more than he use to do, he just wanted Brooklyn and NYC to get a great show. The NYC crowd was a bit slow, I was expecting more noise actually.

Satisfaction. I was in the front when they did it, I had moved up and wanted to follow Keith close. I was sad about London-1 because I realized those who went to that show did not get one of the best songs of the show. It was like the dessert after a great meal. No Mick Taylor. No Bill Wyman. May be in Newark. Who knows.

And I have a confession to make... At the end of the show I though... This is the time to call it quits. They can't do it any better. After these five shows they simply can't get any better. So let us wrap it up and kiss the band goodbye, before they get slow and geriatric. Well shame on me. Then I thought about all the fans in the rest of the world. Most fans can not travel. So I hope they do a few more shows, not many. Not for those who want a show for ten dollars. Then buy a CD or see the broadcast. This is not the budget Stones. This is a gigantic production and it needs to be exclusive. It is quality from the moment you walk in the door until you are out after the show. With a crowd of 20,000 max. So do it in a few more cities next year, please!
yours a a very lucky lad...while people like me has to truggle and give up everything just to see one sw..and evn tts ot a sre ting...i aint fair....but still im happy for you dde

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: December 10, 2012 02:50

bv
I don't want to compare shows. It is not fair. Not to the Stones. Not to those who are there. Some times the crowd and the band are in sync. Other times they are not. You do not rate your wife or your children based on their performance day by day, but you just love them, and respect them. Just like the Stones. For me.

I could write up a long list of issues and problems. Like the guy that arrived next to me with his "girl friend" and wanted me to leave my spot in favour of his "girl friend". He ruined most of "The Last Time", called me a looser and all other sorts of low live callings, and then I left for another spot, like I always do when there is a person that do not respect others at shows. I could have written a pissed off review and stated that Americans are rude and do not treat their guests well. But I do have manners, and in fact it is the opposite.

The Barclays Center hosts must be the most friendly hosts I have been to ever, as concert hosts. The venue openen in SAeptember this year, and it must be well done management and very nice place to work, because wherever I went, and I walk all over the place for more than an hour looking for frends, they were all nice. They asken me how I was, they smiled, they were genuinly intersted in talking to me, which is in fact something special with americans, they care, more so that my own countrymen and women.

Sure London-2 was best for me. Lady Jane may be. Mick Taylor worked better that night. May be. We got rid of Jeff Beck, who was a pain for me, we got Eric Clapton, who was so nice and great, we got Florence on GS, whom I liked so much I can ot say it, hope they fly her in for the Newark shows, and so on and so on. But are all these "likes" of mine interesting really? May be, may be not. I do know that others have other preferences. Some keep their eyers on Keith from show start to show finish. Others on Mick, or Ron, some probably on Lisa, and others on Charlie, Chuck or Bernard. Or may be Bobby, Tim or Darryl. How do I know? Some like the mother, others the daughter or even the son.

Talking about Darryl. His Miss You solo must have been the best one of them all last night. He impressed me. I though, this could never bee Bill doing it. He impressed the crowd. They liked it. Ronnie and Keith stood their impressed and listened, they stared at Darryl with smiles as he was doing the final exam, and did it in a brilliant way.

Mick was outstanding on Midnight Rambler. If I can do that at age 69 well then I might live until I get 100. The whole Rambler was just beautiful to me. I think that was when I noticed that everyone around me just smiled and smiled. I had moved to the very front and were surrounded by smiles.

Sure they had glitches and mess up at times. Mich said tey would do a blues but Ronnie said no-no-no, while Clark Jr surely could be there in the dark behind Ronnie, waiting for them to begind and get his spotlight turned on for "Going Down". But for some reason Ronnie thought Mick mesed up the set list, he did that a few times with or without purpose, but does it matter. No. That'æs what makes the Stones human. Otherwise they would be too perfect. If you want perfect music then buy a record.

Keith did something unusual. He was less shy and less nervous than usually when he hit the stage. After B4 he said ... eh.... "Happy Holidays to you all... I though it is still 2 1/2 weeks until Christmas, and I will see them two times more before that, but then he said... this one is called "Happy" so I realized he got a point.

Before the show I got to talk to one of the many friendly ushers i.e. the people in charge of crowd security from the venue. Then during the show he came over and he was shaking with emotions, just like he wanted to say we had a great time together. That was the whole feeling of all the people in the venue. The most friendly show I have been to, may be, and I have been to many hundred with the Stones.

So that is why this one might be the best one, friendly wise, while the London-2 show might have been the musically superior, and the Trabendo the emotionally superior, and the rehearsals visit with the 31 other friends and fans my eternal memory as a fan.

That's too bad that &$$hole and his girlfriend treated you badly. I'm glad you have such a good attitude about and didn't let it ruin your night. It looked like the pit was more crowded than the London show. I couldn't get a pit ticket, but had great seats on the side of the stage.

Here's a picture of the pit -- any IORRers in the shot?

Date: December 10, 2012 02:58

GS1978

Is that gray haired dude (middle top) holding the rail Jimmy Page?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 02:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:07

Rolling Hansie
superrevvy
bv
And I have a confession to make... At the end of the show I thought... This is the time to call it quits.

Now there's something finally we can all agree on.

Come On supperrevvy. I always considered your intelligence a lot higher than taking one sentence out of the context of a great review and comment on that. Oh well, probably I was wrong.

Come on Hansie. Partially I was being sardonic, and partially I was highlighting
a very interesting comment by bv.

I was obviously not attempting to distort bv's overwhelmingly positive
view of the event.

Date: December 10, 2012 03:08

superrevvy
bv
And I have a confession to make... At the end of the show I thought... This is the time to call it quits.

Now there's something finally we can all agree on.

it is not something we all agree on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 03:21 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:17

Great show in Brooklyn, Stones prove they are forever young but is that really necessary? I'd like to see them kick back a little on stage like the elder statesman they are. Remarkable, Midnight Rambler was one of the highlights despite M.T.'s absence, Keith and Ronnie love a challenge. I was there to see the Stones and didn't care about guests.

Date: December 10, 2012 03:19

DoomandGloom
Great show in Brooklyn, Stones prove they are forever young but is that really necessary? I'd like to see them kick back a little on stage like the elder statesman they are. Remarkable, Midnight Rambler was one of the highlights despite M.T.'s absence, Keith and Ronnie love a challenge. I was there to see the Stones and didn't care about guests.

Agreed
I see no need to quit.... or hanging it up... we could see another transition with my favorite band.... if they feel like it... where they just hang out and do smaller shows... mellower... not jumping rocking and running and rolling.... how about playing some acoustic blues... not selling out 20,000 seats....That would fine with me.... unles it is just required to sell out 20,000 seat arenas.... but I see John Lee Hooker having a pretty good time doing smaller stuff..... JLH aint hanging it up... he aint quitting.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:21

"Anyone who thinks playing music in a band is work, has never done REAL WORK."

That statement is moronic on any number of levels. In fact, it's kind of astoundingly idiotic.

Date: December 10, 2012 03:22

yawn

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:26

oldkr
it was the poorest of the 37 shows I've seen by a long long way. They just weren't very good at all.

OLDKR

Here, Hansie. I've quoted one of the authorities around here in total without
any commentary of my own.

(sorry, can't do it. have to insert a comment of my own. Personally, I do think
they are still good in many ways, but are simply no longer great enough to
continue without seriously tarnishing their legacy. Not ego-legacy, which I
care nothing about. But rather cultural-legacy. The way the Fat Elvis phase and
the Wacko Jacko phase did those legends enduring harm. The Stones thankfully
have not reached their Fat or Wacko phase, but these 5 shows are not good for
them and not good for their fans. They diminish us all, because they are a
paltry cultish achievement at best. And "paltry" and "cultish" are two
adjectives that do not belong in the same arena with any version of the
Rolling Stones.

Then again, Jagger did warn us long ago, that by the last reel we'd be crying.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 03:28 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:34

What I find tedious is the way that only negative or semi-negative reviews are judged to be "honest", "balanced" or "realistic" by the YouTube-and-setlist critics' section, and positive ones dismissed (because their authors must have been carried away by excitement or just wanted to justify how much they paid). Nothing wrong with different opinions - but do you really believe that so many people are being dishonest, unbalanced and unrealistic when they say that they attended a good show and they enjoyed it?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:40

Green Lady
What I find tedious is the way that only negative or semi-negative reviews are judged to be "honest", "balanced" or "realistic" by the YouTube-and-setlist critics' section, and positive ones dismissed (because their authors must have been carried away by excitement or just wanted to justify how much they paid). Nothing wrong with different opinions - but do you really believe that so many people are being dishonest, unbalanced and unrealistic when they say that they attended a good show and they enjoyed it?

yes. and thanks for asking.

Date: December 10, 2012 03:43

Green Lady

It is puzzling... almost as if the arm chair whiners seem to have some type of agenda.

Worst of the commenters are the ones who are claiming that people who pay more muct hynotize themselves to rationalize that it must be a good show if they paid so much.... I think the opposite is true, if the show didnt live up to it, they would be vocally pissed off... and I worried about that before the great London reviews flooded in. Before that, I thought people are paying up, so THe Stones better perform, and almost every person in attendance, even in crappy seats, said The Stones were awesome and it was a great show...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:43

Hey Slew, I never read your post until tonight, Sunday after the show. Marta and I walked all over Brooklyn before the show in the area around the Barclay Center trying to find a place to eat. Ended up at a cool diner no one knew about obviously, practically empty! Anyway, I got my tickets on Friday at 3PM from a great StubHUB guy who was watching for a pair close to the stage for less than face value! He found 2 in sec 126 row 8, awesome seats for $625 each. SOLD! Good thing I booked my Holiday Inn 4 weeks ago!
I loved every minute but was HUGELY disappointed that MT was a NO SHOW! Pissed off really! I thought it was a sure thing! Very bad that he was not there...so the ONE SHOW I get to out of the 5, MT is not there!However, the show was truly amazing, great sound, energy over the top, Mick was his old self, like a 24 year old..HOW does he do that! I felt 24 again, can't talk, no voice, danced screamed, sang for the entire 2 hours 20 minutes....What new hip!??

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:45

StonesTod
Green Lady

yes. and thanks for asking.

OK. Thanks for the bitchslap, and good night.

Date: December 10, 2012 03:46

superrevvy
oldkr
it was the poorest of the 37 shows I've seen by a long long way. They just weren't very good at all.

OLDKR

Here, Hansie. I've quoted one of the authorities around here in total without
any commentary of my own.

(sorry, can't do it. have to insert a comment of my own. Personally, I do think
they are still good in many ways, but are simply no longer great enough to
continue without seriously tarnishing their legacy. Not ego-legacy, which I
care nothing about. But rather cultural-legacy. The way the Fat Elvis phase and
the Wacko Jacko phase did those legends enduring harm. The Stones thankfully
have not reached their Fat or Wacko phase, but these 5 shows are not good for
them and not good for their fans. They diminish us all, because they are a
paltry cultish achievement at best. And "paltry" and "cultish" are two
adjectives that do not belong in the same arena with any version of the
Rolling Stones.

Then again, Jagger did warn us long ago, that by the last reel we'd be crying.)
just plain bull shit....i never ever heard them so good!...and man i saw them so much!

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: December 10, 2012 03:47

Rokyfan

I think there is probably truth to the weakness of Keith, think it's very possible it's a huge effort for him to suck it up for these shows. That he is pulling it off so well (I'm talking about the playing, not the song selection that has some so up in arms) is impressive.

Hey, at least he is playing guitar on BOTH of the songs he gets to do.

Last time I saw them (the last time they were in New York) he did "You Got The Silver" without even trying to fake playing an instrument. His playing had deteriorated after the head injury, but when he went guitar-less on that song I knew it would probably be the last time I wanted to see them.

So far I haven't seen/heard any reason to change my mind.
The Brooklyn set list is a joke, like many have said. 4 songs they've never played before: two new ones, one old one and a blues cover. Really?

I'd lose interest after the middle portion of their sets on the last few tours, and now the middle portion consists of the two new songs. Then it's Stones-By-Numbers karaoke time.

They have how many albums? and how many songs?

Talk about cruise control.

Date: December 10, 2012 03:52

And im really proud that they play 2 real good new songs...that what i wanted

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 10, 2012 04:02

Max'sKansasCity
GS1978

Is that gray haired dude (middle top) holding the rail Jimmy Page?

I'm in that photo. Standing just in front of Gary Clark Jr. at the top of the photo. He was hanging in the pit before he played.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 10, 2012 04:04

bv
I don't want to compare shows. It is not fair. Not to the Stones. Not to those who are there. Some times the crowd and the band are in sync. Other times they are not. You do not rate your wife or your children based on their performance day by day, but you just love them, and respect them. Just like the Stones. For me.

I could write up a long list of issues and problems. Like the guy that arrived next to me with his "girl friend" and wanted me to leave my spot in favour of his "girl friend". He ruined most of "The Last Time", called me a looser and all other sorts of low live callings, and then I left for another spot, like I always do when there is a person that do not respect others at shows. I could have written a pissed off review and stated that Americans are rude and do not treat their guests well. But I do have manners, and in fact it is the opposite.

The Barclays Center hosts must be the most friendly hosts I have been to ever, as concert hosts. The venue openen in SAeptember this year, and it must be well done management and very nice place to work, because wherever I went, and I walk all over the place for more than an hour looking for frends, they were all nice. They asken me how I was, they smiled, they were genuinly intersted in talking to me, which is in fact something special with americans, they care, more so that my own countrymen and women.

Sure London-2 was best for me. Lady Jane may be. Mick Taylor worked better that night. May be. We got rid of Jeff Beck, who was a pain for me, we got Eric Clapton, who was so nice and great, we got Florence on GS, whom I liked so much I can ot say it, hope they fly her in for the Newark shows, and so on and so on. But are all these "likes" of mine interesting really? May be, may be not. I do know that others have other preferences. Some keep their eyers on Keith from show start to show finish. Others on Mick, or Ron, some probably on Lisa, and others on Charlie, Chuck or Bernard. Or may be Bobby, Tim or Darryl. How do I know? Some like the mother, others the daughter or even the son.

Talking about Darryl. His Miss You solo must have been the best one of them all last night. He impressed me. I though, this could never bee Bill doing it. He impressed the crowd. They liked it. Ronnie and Keith stood their impressed and listened, they stared at Darryl with smiles as he was doing the final exam, and did it in a brilliant way.

Mick was outstanding on Midnight Rambler. If I can do that at age 69 well then I might live until I get 100. The whole Rambler was just beautiful to me. I think that was when I noticed that everyone around me just smiled and smiled. I had moved to the very front and were surrounded by smiles.

Sure they had glitches and mess up at times. Mich said tey would do a blues but Ronnie said no-no-no, while Clark Jr surely could be there in the dark behind Ronnie, waiting for them to begind and get his spotlight turned on for "Going Down". But for some reason Ronnie thought Mick mesed up the set list, he did that a few times with or without purpose, but does it matter. No. That'æs what makes the Stones human. Otherwise they would be too perfect. If you want perfect music then buy a record.

Keith did something unusual. He was less shy and less nervous than usually when he hit the stage. After B4 he said ... eh.... "Happy Holidays to you all... I though it is still 2 1/2 weeks until Christmas, and I will see them two times more before that, but then he said... this one is called "Happy" so I realized he got a point.

Before the show I got to talk to one of the many friendly ushers i.e. the people in charge of crowd security from the venue. Then during the show he came over and he was shaking with emotions, just like he wanted to say we had a great time together. That was the whole feeling of all the people in the venue. The most friendly show I have been to, may be, and I have been to many hundred with the Stones.

So that is why this one might be the best one, friendly wise, while the London-2 show might have been the musically superior, and the Trabendo the emotionally superior, and the rehearsals visit with the 31 other friends and fans my eternal memory as a fan.

Your concentration and resolve to enjoy yourself is tremendous. I think if I had been in that position, I might have been fuming the rest of the show and not been able to enjoy myself.

Still, there are even worse characters you may have encountered. Here in Boston in the mid-2000s there was a local homeless man who had been in and out of prisons throughout his life as a violent offender who took to murdering several fellow homeless individuals by stomping their heads in. The local news media dubbed him "The Stomper". Police finally apprehended the stomper--while he was in line for a ticket to that night's Rolling Stones concert at Fenway Park....

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: December 10, 2012 04:32

GS1978

Seems like the blonde can't find the stage.......

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 10, 2012 04:44

Does anyone one know if they released any of the cheaper seats today at the Barclays Box office? $150's - $250's

What was the market was like outside the arena were there many for sale and price points.

Posted by: buffalo 81 ()
Date: December 10, 2012 04:49

Nice work as always Bjornulf...
What do you know about 2013?
I wonder if they will come to Argentina and i want to ask you if you have seen the Stones in Buenos Aires?

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: December 10, 2012 05:08

Yes what do you know about 2013, bv??
anything yet?
Brown Sugar 12-08-12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-10 05:23 by tumbled.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 10, 2012 05:12

justamomentita
GS1978

Seems like the blonde can't find the stage.......

Maybe she is the one BV sent to the back of the front line.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: December 10, 2012 05:24

vermontoffender
"Anyone who thinks playing music in a band is work, has never done REAL WORK."

That statement is moronic on any number of levels. In fact, it's kind of astoundingly idiotic.

That's just funny. Anyone who's never played music in a band doesn't know what real work is. I work in construction in the day, farm on the side, and my weekend gigs with the band are what really kicks my ass.

[www.non-filters.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home