Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger Ridiculed By His Own Mother.
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:30

(From NJD World, 12/06/12)
LONDON – Front man of the Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger, was as a child made fun of by his own mother, making him insecure and timid, according to biographer Philip Norman.
Norman is reportedly an expert on everything ‘Rolling Stones’. He just completed his fifth book on the legendary British band. His newest book entitled: ‘Mick Jagger’ is all about the prolific singer’s character and shares ‘secrets’ about the man, no one ever knew before.
“Mick never gives himself completely. There is nothing about Mick in the songs he sings. He dreams up a character and he plays that while performing,” Norman writes.
Philip Norman also writes that Mick’s personality in the band were created during the early days of the band because Andew Oldham, original manager of the Stones, wanted to create the exact opposite of ‘The Beatles’.
“The Beatles were charming, loving and socially acceptable. The Stones had to be devilish, wild and rebels. Mick most definitely was not wild or a rebel when he joined the Stones. But Andrew Oldham told him: ‘do as if you are and you will be rich’. He’s been doing that for fifty years now.”
“Mick is a prudent human. People see him as reckless but that’s not how he is. He only got caught up with things by pure accident, not because he wanted that.”
Mick Jagger became famous for his active and provocative way of dancing, according to Norman. “But his mother thought all that dancing was just nonsense and show-off and use to laugh very hard with Mick Jagger’s moves.”
It’s not clear if Jagger authorized the biography or if the book is a compilation of Norman’s own findings and conclusions about The Rolling Stones and its members.

Re: Mick Jagger Ridiculed By His Own Mother.
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:34

steffiestones

It’s not clear if Jagger authorized the biography or if the book is a compilation of Norman’s own findings and conclusions about The Rolling Stones and its members.

I would guess the latter.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:37

i always figured him for a lying sonnavabitch who was just taking us all for a ride. i want my money back.

Date: December 6, 2012 18:39

Word to your mother baby standing in the shadow.

God they should do that one live!

Have you seen your mother, baby, standing in the shadow
Have you had another, baby, standing in the shadow?
I'm glad I opened your eyes
The have-nots have tried to freeze you in ice

Have you seen your brother, baby, standing in the shadow
Have you had another baby, standing in the shadow
I was just passing the time
I'm all alone, won't you give all your sympathy to mine

Tell me a story about how you adore me
Live in the shadow, see through the shadow,
Live through the shadow, tear at the shadow
Hate in the shadow, and love in your shadowy life

Have you seen your lover, baby, standing in the shadow
Has he had another baby, standing in the shadow
Baby, where have you been all your life
Talking about all the people who should try anything twice

Have you seen your mother, baby, standing in the shadow
Have you had another baby, standing in the shadow
You take your choice at this time
The brave old world or the slide to the depths of decline

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: December 6, 2012 18:52

I'm sure his mother rideculed him in line at bank when she was cashing the enormous checks he sent too.

Date: December 6, 2012 19:03

arthritis
I'm sure his mother rideculed him in line at bank when she was cashing the enormous checks he sent too.

thumbs up

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 6, 2012 19:08

StonesTod
i always figured him for a lying sonnavabitch who was just taking us all for a ride. i want my money back.

I never liked Norman's books but this is a bit harsh.

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: December 6, 2012 19:13

To me, Norman's stuff looks like the old trick of:

Making a compilation of the same known material from different books - then re-writing it with different word and presenting it as some new revelation or angle.

A lot of it is pure conjecture and some of it is plain incorrect or just bullshit.

Iv'e not read anything attributed to him which is new or unknown.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 6, 2012 19:15

Rokyfan
StonesTod

I never liked Norman's books but this is a bit harsh.

i-r-o-n-y

h-y-p-e-r-b-o-l-e

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 6, 2012 19:18

The real fact is that Mick and Chris Jagger had a very happy home life with their parents.

The comment about his mother cashing checks is inaccurate and completely out of line.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 6, 2012 20:10

Where in this small article is Mick Jagger Ridiculed By His Own Mother ?????

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 6, 2012 20:12

Rolling Hansie

it's a given. weren't we all ridiculed by our mothers? my mom always told me i was a horrible excuse for a son. i just assume others had similar statements made to them by their own mothers, no?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 6, 2012 20:15

Edith Grove
steffiestones

I would guess the latter.

Oh, its clear. Very clear...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 6, 2012 21:43

StonesTod
Rolling Hansie

it's a given. weren't we all ridiculed by our mothers? my mom always told me i was a horrible excuse for a son. i just assume others had similar statements made to them by their own mothers, no?

No, that was just you.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 6, 2012 21:49

71Tele
StonesTod
Rolling Hansie

No, that was just you.

Still, Ma Tod had amazing insight

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 6, 2012 21:51

JamesPhelge00
To me, Norman's stuff looks like the old trick of:

Making a compilation of the same known material from different books - then re-writing it with different word and presenting it as some new revelation or angle.

A lot of it is pure conjecture and some of it is plain incorrect or just bullshit.

Iv'e not read anything attributed to him which is new or unknown.

Sounds about right. I read the book and there are no new revelations, really.

There's some stuff about the arragements with Marsha Hunt I wasn't aware of, but waaaayyyy to much of the book is the author's own armchair Freud 101 psychoanalysis. It's not even woven into the story well, I found it jarring when the author switched over from the story to his "analysis".

It's all based on his phrase" tryanny of cool" meaning Mick can never give himself over fully emotionally. It also describes most British (and other) men, especially those born in the 40's & 50's.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 6, 2012 22:02

“The Beatles were charming, loving and socially acceptable. The Stones had to be devilish, wild and rebels."

In other groundbreaking news, water is wet.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 7, 2012 00:29

Munichhilton
71Tele
StonesTod
Rolling Hansie

No, that was just you.

Ha!

Still, Ma Tod had amazing insight

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 7, 2012 00:32

Being ridiculed by your mother is character building.

If only all mothers cared so much.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 7, 2012 00:39

We've all been put in our place by our Mum's, so to speak....thankfully as it turns out.

Remember in today's day and age, getting a smack on the hand before you touch the element for the 3rd time is called Child abuse, So to judge the actions of the initial post war generation, who had lived through WWII do require some consideration of their environment/social age etc..

I've collected a small libraries worth of Books, etc. But after a friend lending me an earlier Norman book, I can say with growing pride that I'll never buy one of these rehashes nor do I own any of his earlier cash in's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-07 00:44 by SKILLS.

Date: December 7, 2012 02:04

StonesTod
my mom always told me i was a horrible excuse for a son

Oh my, poor Tod. How you must have suffered ... and maybe still are suffering

-------------------

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 7, 2012 05:30

It's true and he's not really a womanizer either and Keith didn't really take drugs. It's all show. Deep down, they were quiet shy boys who were well-mannered, went to bed early, and were always faithful. The bad image was just a put-on. Thank you, Mr. Norman for daring to make up the truth.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 7, 2012 08:57

micwer
“The Beatles were charming, loving and socially acceptable.

Socially acceptable to some, perhaps, but 'charming and loving'? Bullshit. Lennon was a genuinely nasty character at times - 'spastic' impersonations, breaking the ribs of a journalist... beating-up Stuart Sutcliffe, mistreating his first wife, neglecting his first-born...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 7, 2012 09:25

Well, then there are two of them. Keith Richards mum wasn't all that appreciative about her son's work either. Nothing to worry about, it's the generation gap.

Date: December 7, 2012 11:45

Rocky Dijon
make up the truth.

Good one

-------------------

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 7, 2012 11:51

From everything I've read, Mick was close to his mother, and his father was a stern but loving taskmaster. He was a mimic and singer from childhood and liked the attention he got from it, a natural performer.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 7, 2012 12:41

Mick Jagger hit the nail on the head when he described Norman as an idiot and a very vile old man. Norman does not like Jagger, maybe he is jealous of him. If I put out books like Norman I would be incapable of looking into the mirror.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home